• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Suggested PA non-conference schedule

Started by MDXPHD, December 09, 2015, 07:54:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MDXPHD

Sorry guys, I realized that I am not as busy that I thought I would be this month. Lucky for all of you, I won't be taking a true break!

Here are some of my suggestions for PA to beef up their non-conference schedule.

Ozark JV, obviously. Hope, because they still believe they are the best team in 5A. Finally, some random out of state school that has traditionally been a power, but is about to hit a couple of down years.

Here's another idea: keep all the talk about Kelley and being classless off this thread. Every thread is getting derailed by it. We all know how you feel.

I know PA Dad.. I let you down because you looked forward to me leaving for a couple of months. I apologize for getting your hopes up!

the voice

First off not a PA hater , just think maybe they could play some larger classifications that are perennial powers of late , say greenwood, and Fayetteville and maybe an out of state team , if they play with them maybe that'd give an indication of if they should stay in 5a

MDXPHD

Quote from: the voice on December 09, 2015, 08:12:04 pm
First off not a PA hater , just think maybe they could play some larger classifications that are perennial powers of late , say greenwood, and Fayetteville and maybe an out of state team , if they play with them maybe that'd give an indication of if they should stay in 5a

I think they should play Pine Bluff. They should play the first game of the season every year at War Memorial. It would draw a large crowd.

the voice

Yeah , PB was very good this year , I saw them at team camp this year.

PA Dad

Quote from: MDXPHD on December 09, 2015, 07:54:49 pm
Sorry guys, I realized that I am not as busy that I thought I would be this month. Lucky for all of you, I won't be taking a true break!

Here are some of my suggestions for PA to beef up their non-conference schedule.

Ozark JV, obviously. Hope, because they still believe they are the best team in 5A. Finally, some random out of state school that has traditionally been a power, but is about to hit a couple of down years.

Here's another idea: keep all the talk about Kelley and being classless off this thread. Every thread is getting derailed by it. We all know how you feel.

I know PA Dad.. I let you down because you looked forward to me leaving for a couple of months. I apologize for getting your hopes up!
s

Glad to have you back although you weren't gone long enough!

I'd love to see PA play GW.  I'm not sure about PB - they were dang good this year, maybe best in the state.  No way do I want to take on Ozark JV.

MDXPHD

Quote from: PA Dad on December 09, 2015, 08:43:19 pm

s

I'd love to see PA play GW.  I'm not sure about PB - they were dang good this year, maybe best in the state. No way do I want to take on Ozark JV.

Even PA has it's limits..I understand.

PB was very good, but GW was about the same. 28-21 final and both teams played a good game. I think either one would be good for PA, the opponent, and the state. Let's lobby for it and get it done. (I have no pull with any team whatsoever, so...you'll have to be the one lobbying)

Grond

At Jonesboro might be good. Measure PA against a 6A, and it would be away from the Circus Maximus of central Arkansas.

Batesville or Blytheville might be a good show, too.

Intelligentsia

Quote from: Grond on December 09, 2015, 08:56:44 pm
At Jonesboro might be good. Measure PA against a 6A, and it would be away from the Circus Maximus of central Arkansas.

I don't want to lose Jonesboro from the Pioneer schedule!!  It has been a great matchup for Batesville and playing them at ASU next season will be great!!  It would be difficult to end the Searcy game, but that would leave one game open.  I can't recall if we have WC again next year, but that has been a good game (though not a favorite of a couple of WC FF posters:)

PA Dad

Quote from: Grond on December 09, 2015, 08:56:44 pm

Any of those teams would be great.  I really thought we'd get Blytheville in the second and Batesville in the final, if we got by Blytheville.  I think both of those games would have been very competitive.

zebrafan

PB has there non-conference filled up already Cabot/Watson Chapel/FS Northside. I would would like that match up though! I remember when Dollarway/PA played years ago always a quality game!

the voice

Those would be good also. I'd like to see them with higher classifications though. Maybe no mercy ruled shorten games. IMO if your mercy ruling 7 or 8 out of  10 opponents in regular season, then 3of four playoff opponents on a regular basis , one would have to consider a change in competition. If it's a one season thing , that's different, if it's repetitive, for cause of bettering oneself and maintaining a high level move to higher competition. Why not play games that are battles to the end? Lopsided games are no fun for either side really , can't go wide open and have to worry about hurt feelings. The losing side is angry and disappointed. It's a no win.

MDXPHD

Quote from: zebrafan on December 09, 2015, 10:43:14 pm
PB has there non-conference filled up already Cabot/Watson Chapel/FS Northside. I would would like that match up though! I remember when Dollarway/PA played years ago always a quality game!

Drop that WC game.

walkingguy72396

NEark tigers

South Panola (Batesville, MS)

Miami Northwestern HS

St. Thomas Aquinas (FL)

zebrafan

Quote from: MDXPHD on December 09, 2015, 11:23:04 pm
Quote from: zebrafan on December 09, 2015, 10:43:14 pm

Drop that WC game.
You and me both brother!

PA Pressbox

Trust me, Coach Kelley does everything he can do to beef up our non-conference schedule.  Case in point:  Cabot (2010-11), Chaminade, CA (2012), Memphis Univ. School (2013), Highland Park, TX (2014-15).

I know several Greenwood and PA fans that would love to see an annual game.  Those are two programs that have a mutual respect for each other.  Also, I know of at least two 7A schools that have turned down the offer, which if you think about it, why would they want to play PA?  They've got nothing to gain.  If they beat PA, so what....they should.  If they lose to PA, they're a 7A school that just lost to a 5A school.

He knows that you need to challenge your players in non-conference to make them better when it comes time for conference.  When North Pulaski folded, some teams just took that week off.  Coach Kelley went out of this way to find a fill in game.  And, that fill in game actually turned out to be the REAL Sportsmanship story for the 2015 season.  Read and/or watch to find out about the sportsmanship and fellowship of the PA vs Jennings, MO game.

http://usatodayhss.com/2015/jennings-pulaski-academy-football-little-rock

https://youtu.be/YWCLi0iDhHk  (Video produced by Dr Bill Mcdonald of the Jennings School District)

Lionheart88

Bentonville West will need some opponents in the coming years, right?  Just thinking, they're the first large school that comes to mind who likely doesn't have a non-con schedule made out years in advance already.

incogneto

West Monroe, LA 5A
Evangel Christian, LA 1A
John Curtis, LA 4A

They should got play these three schools if they want to beef up the schedule. 

PA Dad

Quote from: incogneto on December 10, 2015, 06:36:31 am
West Monroe, LA 5A
Evangel Christian, LA 1A
John Curtis, LA 4A

The problem is not just wanting to play quality non conference opponents.  The problem is finding teams who are willing to play PA and who have games open that fits in PA's schedule.  It's just a tough proposition to meet both of those criteria.

AirWarren

Drop little ole Warren? Come on! We are about to field an above average team again.

PA Dad

Quote from: AirWarren on December 10, 2015, 04:43:11 pm
Drop little ole Warren? Come on! We are about to field an above average team again.

Actually, I put Warren in the "quality opponent" category.

Lionheart88

Quote from: PA Dad on December 10, 2015, 04:38:53 pm
Quote from: incogneto on December 10, 2015, 06:36:31 am
West Monroe, LA 5A
Evangel Christian, LA 1A
John Curtis, LA 4A

That's why I suggested Bentonville West, I figured they might not have filled out their nonconference games just yet.

The problem is not just wanting to play quality non conference opponents.  The problem is finding teams who are willing to play PA and who have games open that fits in PA's schedule.  It's just a tough proposition to meet both of those criteria.

tmycjy

Here who u should play

Bentonvile or Fayetteville
Wynne and the reason is every time these school have played they hook up to a great contest here all the score from each time we played 1. Simi final 06 p.a. 43 Wynne 42
2. 2014 state championship p.a. 38 Wynne 28 and this year p.a.35 Wynne 21

Here. 3ed game Warren or Jonesboro or Greenwood or alma

Red Devil Alum

December 10, 2015, 05:51:33 pm #23 Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 06:34:10 pm by Red Devil Alum
Quote from: tmycjy on December 10, 2015, 05:46:22 pm
Here who u should play

Bentonvile or Fayetteville
Wynne and the reason is every time these school have played they hook up to a great contest here all the score from each time we played 1. Simi final 06 p.a. 43 Wynne 42
2. 2014 state championship p.a. 38 Wynne 28 and this year p.a.35 Wynne 21

Here. 3ed game Warren or Jonesboro or Greenwood or alma
Warren and Wynne always step up to the challenge. I would love to see PA vs bentonville, Fayetteville or greenwood.

Razorback Red

Not a PA fan, but you have to respect the fact they played HP (TX 6A) two years in a row.  As stated, they've also played a few other regional teams. 

It would be nice to see how they stack up against some of the top teams in the state.  I would like to see them start with a Cabot, Conway, Bryant or NS before they jump to the big boys.  With the split, I think a Bville or Bville West game would be good.  I also think any of the top 6A teams would be good (PB, GW, ED, Benton, JHS).   The next level would be tough.  They are not ready for a Fville; that would get ugly.  Just not enough size in the trenches. 

Lions84

This reminds me of Barton back in the 1980s during their 63 game win streak ,  The Booster Club offered a several thousand dollar guaranteed gate and a home and home with Barton and no one in Ark would take them up on it.

AirWarren

Quote from: Razorback Red on December 10, 2015, 05:55:16 pm
Not a PA fan, but you have to respect the fact they played HP (TX 6A) two years in a row.  As stated, they've also played a few other regional teams. 

It would be nice to see how they stack up against some of the top teams in the state.  I would like to see them start with a Cabot, Conway, Bryant or NS before they jump to the big boys.  With the split, I think a Bville or Bville West game would be good.  I also think any of the top 6A teams would be good (PB, GW, ED, Benton, JHS).   The next level would be tough.  They are not ready for a Fville; that would get ugly.  Just not enough size in the trenches. 

I disagree about Fayetteville. We played Fayetteville and Pa in the same year. Both teams lines were big and about equal. Pa also has better depth. It isn't Fayetteville, but they dressed 80 players this year.

I think PA vs Bentonville or Fayetteville would be a great match to see.

$aintMaximu$

I would like to see PA play Ozark JV.....

Jack1990

Quote from: $aintMaximu$ on December 11, 2015, 03:11:56 pm

Only took 27 replies to bring the Ozark JV powerhouse into the discussion.  LL

PA Dad

Quote from: AirWarren on December 11, 2015, 03:03:15 pm

I disagree about Fayetteville. We played Fayetteville and Pa in the same year. Both teams lines were big and about equal. Pa also has better depth. It isn't Fayetteville, but they dressed 80 players this year.

Anytime this discussion comes up some folks believe that PA couldn't play with Fayetteville, Bentonville or Harber.  I just don't know.  Highland Park probably had more players and as big a line as any of those schools.  I know PA handled Fayetteville easily in a scrimmage in 2011, which was a year Fayetteville won state.  So, I'd just like to see them play in a real game and see what happens.  Even if PA got stomped, it would put an end to this argument.

$aintMaximu$

I would actually like to see them play Bastrop... They have a history of playing smaller AR schools... 

PA Dad

Quote from: $aintMaximu$ on December 11, 2015, 03:19:30 pm
I would actually like to see them play Bastrop... They have a history of playing smaller AR schools...

Can you set it up for us?

$aintMaximu$

Quote from: PA Dad on December 11, 2015, 03:19:46 pm
Quote from: $aintMaximu$ on December 11, 2015, 03:19:30 pm

Can you set it up for us?

I can certainly asked who we scheduled with... They played PB Dollarway and beat us up pretty bad this year...  I think it would be a good game but I think PA wins...  As far as size goes I would think they are in the 6a/7a size... Proximity and match up would be much better for PA vs. Shiloh playing them....

MDXPHD

Quote from: Jack1990 on December 11, 2015, 03:14:03 pm

It actually only took the beginning of the thread..

Jack1990

Quote from: MDXPHD on December 11, 2015, 03:26:26 pm
Quote from: Jack1990 on December 11, 2015, 03:14:03 pm

It actually only took the beginning of the thread..
My bad MDX...missed it in that one.  Goes back to reading the whole thread sometimes. 

Lionheart88

Quote from: PA Dad on December 11, 2015, 03:19:10 pm

Anytime this discussion comes up some folks believe that PA couldn't play with Fayetteville, Bentonville or Harber.  I just don't know.  Highland Park probably had more players and as big a line as any of those schools.  I know PA handled Fayetteville easily in a scrimmage in 2011, which was a year Fayetteville won state.  So, I'd just like to see them play in a real game and see what happens.  Even if PA got stomped, it would put an end to this argument.
The Lions went 4-0 in the preseason the year they went 0-16.  Scrimmages are meaningless.

PA Dad

Quote from: Lionheart88 on December 11, 2015, 03:34:21 pm
Quote from: PA Dad on December 11, 2015, 03:19:10 pm

The Lions went 4-0 in the preseason the year they went 0-16.  Scrimmages are meaningless.

That's why I said I'd like to see them play in a real game.

PGTIGERS09

Allen, TX

IMG Academy

De La Salle

Colquitt

Starkville, MS

Katy, TX

Pick one.  Should make for a competitive game

the voice

A native Texan who grew up in the highland area told me yesterday that they didn't win a game or maybe conference game this past year ? Is that true ? He said they were really down. Just wondering, can anyone verify ?

WPWells

Red Devil Alum

Quote from: the voice on December 13, 2015, 05:46:13 am
A native Texan who grew up in the highland area told me yesterday that they didn't win a game or maybe conference game this past year ? Is that true ? He said they were really down. Just wondering, can anyone verify ?
Highland Park went 10-2. Their only regular season loss was to PA.

http://www.maxpreps.com/m/team/schedule.aspx?gendersport=boys,football&schoolid=ce78b157-7152-490b-b8f2-7f4782602d15

the voice

Fullbacktrap75

PA would be fine against any team in the state. Nothing against them but they are in one of the biggest areas in the state. Numbers aren't an issue, because 50 quality players can beat 100 average players any day of the week. Not going as far as saying its recruiting but any kid in that entire city can go there so they basically have their choice of 7A players. Nothing against them but it's just facts and if my kid lived in little Rock they for sure wouldn't go to one of those public schools there.

the voice

I understand and agree , it kinda falls in line with some of my earlier posts. There's another thread started that they'll return next year. Lol
With everything that's happened and been discussed, I guess some still feel the need to crow

JustGoForIt114

Quote from: Fullbacktrap75 on December 13, 2015, 07:16:03 pm
PA would be fine against any team in the state. Nothing against them but they are in one of the biggest areas in the state. Numbers aren't an issue, because 50 quality players can beat 100 average players any day of the week. Not going as far as saying its recruiting but any kid in that entire city can go there so they basically have their choice of 7A players. Nothing against them but it's just facts and if my kid lived in little Rock they for sure wouldn't go to one of those public schools there.
You're right. Any kid can go there as long as they pay the annual tuition and fees to do so.

JustGoForIt114

Quote from: MDXPHD on December 09, 2015, 08:48:45 pm

s

I'd love to see PA play GW.  I'm not sure about PB - they were dang good this year, maybe best in the state. No way do I want to take on Ozark JV.

PB was very good, but GW was about the same. 28-21 final and both teams played a good game. I think either one would be good for PA, the opponent, and the state. Let's lobby for it and get it done. (I have no pull with any team whatsoever, so...you'll have to be the one lobbying)
PA played Greenwood 4 years in a row before they moved to 6A. The record between the two teams was an even 2-2. These games used to draw huge crowds, IMO they have one of the best atmospheres to play at in the state. MDXPHD who is your favorite team in the state - or who do you pull for on Friday's? Maybe PA can play them! I wish PA would play Fayetteville, but it's not as easy as it seems. You can't just lobby for it and get it done. FHS has way more to lose than PA does. A school with 2,000 kids grades 9-12 compared to PA with 350 kids 9-12. Wouldn't look too great on FHS's part if they lost this game. I'm just willing to bet that you wouldn't be satisfied if PA played your hypothetical non-conference schedule and won all of the games. There would be another excuse of how/why it happened.

PA Dad

Quote from: JustGoForIt114 on December 13, 2015, 10:29:00 pm
You're right. Any kid can go there as long as they pay the annual tuition and fees to do so.

As a parent with a kid at PA, you're wrong.  Not any kid whose parents can afford the tuition can get into PA.  You have to meet the admission criteria, which are pretty rigorous.  PA is first and foremost an academic school.  Even the best football player in the state can't get in unless he can meet the admission criteria.

And, if you care to look at some of my prior posts, the great majority of PA players have been at PA since grade school.  It's not a case of good players transferring in in high school.

Fullbacktrap75

I guess the best way to put this is draw me a district line and then tell me how many kids are in that area. My kids went to a private school in louisianna, and everyone can say what they want about requirements, but I've seen those requirements to get in bent a little. Which no doubt PA is the exception to that lol. It is what it is thousands of kids in an area will go where the success is at. If you put warren, Monticello, star city , Hamburg together there still isn't the numbers around that PA has. I may be wrong, but let me guess very hard admissions process? Well let me ask what the admissions process is for elementary, and middle school kids. The school my kids went to attended 5&6th grade games and brought them in young so they could be basically grandfathered into the school without passing those admissions test and allowing the high school program to tell the governing athletic body these kids have been here for years. While the high level entry test kept the mass majority of kids they didn't want out and the school still has high level academics, but now have several top level players they have been bringing along. This may not be how they do it but any successful private school in most states do it this way. Once again it is what it is and if my kids lived in little rock PA is where they would go.

the voice

Quote from: JustGoForIt114 on December 13, 2015, 10:36:24 pm
Quote from: MDXPHD on December 09, 2015, 08:48:45 pm

s

PA played Greenwood 4 years in a row before they moved to 6A. The record between the two teams was an even 2-2. These games used to draw huge crowds, IMO they have one of the best atmospheres to play at in the state. MDXPHD who is your favorite team in the state - or who do you pull for on Friday's? Maybe PA can play them! I wish PA would play Fayetteville, but it's not as easy as it seems. You can't just lobby for it and get it done. FHS has way more to lose than PA does. A school with 2,000 kids grades 9-12 compared to PA with 350 kids 9-12. Wouldn't look too great on FHS's part if they lost this game. I'm just willing to bet that you wouldn't be satisfied if PA played your hypothetical non-conference schedule and won all of the games. There would be another excuse of how/why it happened.

Playing teams years ago doesn't mean it would be the same. A few years back Morrilton scrimmaged Fayetteville. Before that had a home and away series with PA , after the 2013 meeting Morrilton holds a 2-1 lead in the series. As for excuses as to why you beat them, you are making argument to prove most posters point. If you were to beat Fayetteville and pine bluff like you sorta say , it shows you need to play different competition than 5a, sure teams can play extremely well and win a game they shouldn't. Greenwood is closer in talent to you and definitely has the coaching advantage in most people's opinion.

MDXPHD

Quote from: PA Dad on December 13, 2015, 11:48:04 pm
Quote from: JustGoForIt114 on December 13, 2015, 10:29:00 pm

As a parent with a kid at PA, you're wrong.  Not any kid whose parents can afford the tuition can get into PA.  You have to meet the admission criteria, which are pretty rigorous.  PA is first and foremost an academic school.  Even the best football player in the state can't get in unless he can meet the admission criteria.

And, if you care to look at some of my prior posts, the great majority of PA players have been at PA since grade school.  It's not a case of good players transferring in in high school.

For some odd reason, I believe he would certainly meet the admission criteria lol.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas