• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Next Year - Different Looking Conferences, Teams Returning, 3 Peat?

Started by AT, December 06, 2015, 01:34:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Beardad

My point is, either from my one sided opinion, or my skimming of Hootens is that from the start of the 2015 season to the end, there was never any question as to who the best team was.  In years past there's been atleast a handful of teams that you could say "yea, they've got a shot".  This year, week 1 when 2 supposed top teams played....WC at Batesville, the consensus was that neither looked very good and the game was loaded with mistakes and turnovers. 

In years past there were those other powerhouses who could beat PA any given day, PLUS you had those cyclical teams that would rise up like a Monticello or a Morrilton. 

The only "powerhouse" for the last few years has been PA, and for the next couple years it looks like it will be PA.  All part of that cycle that you reference.  So again, due to the way high school teams and athletes cycle, there doesn't appear to be much for anybody this cycle.  Whether it's due to lack of athletes, lack of coaching ability for those teams that may have athletes, or lack of work by the entire program.  For the immediate past and immediate future PA has been top dog; SO I again pose the question "WHO IN THIS WEAK 5A CAN COMPETE AT A HIGH LEVEL WITH THE PA BRUINS IN THE IMMEDIATE FUTURE?"

And why attack me for giving a brief analysis of top teams and why I feel they can't be the one to rise up?  Did I really need to analyze the lack of success at Fair, Mills, Nettleton, Paragould, Jacksonville, and Forrest City?

Wynne is 41-9 since the arrival of Hill with how many conference titles? And how many state titles?

Then you bring up Alma who's claim to fame this millennium is that they played with Batesville for a quarter in the 2013 semis, and had CF beat for a half in the 2012 quarterfinals coupled with 0 state titles since the turn of the century...... just before you hammer me about the past.

So voice, and PA dad.....rather than trying to break down my limited knowledge of the game, guess what ties I would have to a particular coach or team, and hurl insults my way, let's hear what you fellas know about 5A football.....please name the next 5A powerhouse, please tell who will win 41 games over the next 4 years and a state title, please tell me who can compete with PA.....we're waiting

bigchief72455

Quote from: Beardad on December 16, 2015, 06:09:22 am
Who? Who is going to be so good next year? Nobody from the South. Hope graduated their 1. White Hall fell of the map. WC graduated the 1 kid they tried to get the ball to every play. CF is in turmoil. Lakeside did all they could this year. Hot Springs can't ever put a whole season together.

In the central, Sylvan Hills has been good lately, but they'll never be on PAs level. McClellan returns some studs and a bunch of big guys, but they can't pass to save their lives. Batesville is very solid year in and year out, I think they've been the best overall team for years but they always falter. Wynne puts a decent season together every now and then, but since the departure of Don Campbell (must be another friend of mine) they haven't been the same. The West has been irrelevant since Greenwood left.

So tell me since I know so little of 5A football, who's to dethrone PA? Who will keep PA from running the table for the next 3 years?

Viliona? Beebe? Fair? GCT? DeQueen? Huntsville?
Paragould. ::)

the voice

First off I wasn't claiming that PA hasn't owned the 5a, I dispute the accusation that it is weak or watered down. I really think you are seeing PA simply being more talented, and bringing up the past was done by you saying after certain coaches left the classification suffered, it could no longer compete without them.  That was the basis of my comments, as for who will knock PA off , it'll be a team that is coached up and talented but they don't exist here according to you , maybe someone will hire paschal and implement his slot slot and the 5a can rise to glory in your eyes. After all that's what we are trying to do , get your approval.

I expect Morrilton to make some noise again this year and those Wynne yellowjackets have much coming back, as well as a couple of others , sorry that pick wasn't as easy as yours , PA has been the best , easy to say they will again, I mean that took deep knowledge of the 5a football.

MDXPHD

They have been a powerhouse, but I'm not sure your definition of powerhouse is accurate. Remember, this powerhouse didn't win the championship in 2012 or 2013. They have won the last two, yes, but they were playing in the same classification the two years before that and didn't win. You act like PA has never been beaten in 5A before.

PA will have plenty of competition next year with Alma, Wynne, and Batesville. I'm not sure that some other teams won't sneak up there, but I know Wynne and Batesville were very young and Alma has been playing stiff competition for the last two years.

Lets talk about powerhouse in 5A football. PA has won 3 state championships in 5A (I think). They beat HWH by 3 in 08, Wynne by 10 in 2014, and won this year in a close game. In 5A football, they have won state 3 times out of the 8 years they have played in 5A and they have not won the championship by a large margin. Very good ratio, but definitely proves they are not as dominant as you act like. Further, this dominant team who can't be beaten, has won 5 titles in the last 15 years, correct? Now, I'm definitely not saying they aren't one of the best programs in the state, because that's obvious. I'm not downplaying 5 titles in the last 15 years, but I'm simply showing you that they aren't as dominant as you think they are.

Beardad

Voice, I understand I was offensive by my posts and they got you good and riled up.  You're focusing on the wrong thing here though.  I'm talking 5A football, not Beardad's superior football knowledge, Beardad's approval, or Beardad's excellent skills when it comes to flipping through Hootens.....focus.

I stated my position that I believe 5A is watered down and nobody will be able to compete week in and week out with PA.

We know Parkview, Alma, Batesville, McClellan and Wynne are quarterfinal teams next year, but they're not great powerhouses by any stretch of the imagination.  And then here you are speaking of the team that will "knock off PA." 

Look, 7A has those big dogs that can play with anybody any given day.  Fayetteville, Harber, Bentonville.  Even the poorly touted 6A has the powerhouses of PB, Greenwood, Eldo who are going to be there.  They're going to win 30+ games combined and they'll all be in the title hunt.  4A has the Nashvilles, and Warrens, Star Citys, and Dardanelles.  It goes on for 3A and 2A

BUT LOOK AT 5A and there's PA.  Then who????  1 or 2 for next year....but 2017 they're gone.  Look at your better teams in 2015.....LRCA won't be back next year, Lakeside could win the South next year but they won't do anything else.

After the departure of a few teams and coaches in the last 5 years, 5A has suffered.  And it's evident because you still have failed to name a single team that will COMPETE with PA through 2020 year in and year out.  I don't think PA has great athletes, just a great program.  I mean really....the best WR they had this year was 5'4" with a bum leg...granted he still ran like a deer. 

They're not the New England Patriots, but they're head and shoulders above the rest of 5A because like I said, the 5A is down...

Disprove me please...is it Morrilton?

Beardad

Quote from: MDXPHD on December 16, 2015, 08:59:37 am
They have been a powerhouse, but I'm not sure your definition of powerhouse is accurate. Remember, this powerhouse didn't win the championship in 2012 or 2013. They have won the last two, yes, but they were playing in the same classification the two years before that and didn't win. You act like PA has never been beaten in 5A before.

PA will have plenty of competition next year with Alma, Wynne, and Batesville. I'm not sure that some other teams won't sneak up there, but I know Wynne and Batesville were very young and Alma has been playing stiff competition for the last two years.

Lets talk about powerhouse in 5A football. PA has won 3 state championships in 5A (I think). They beat HWH by 3 in 08, Wynne by 10 in 2014, and won this year in a close game. In 5A football, they have won state 3 times out of the 8 years they have played in 5A and they have not won the championship by a large margin. Very good ratio, but definitely proves they are not as dominant as you act like. Further, this dominant team who can't be beaten, has won 5 titles in the last 15 years, correct? Now, I'm definitely not saying they aren't one of the best programs in the state, because that's obvious. I'm not downplaying 5 titles in the last 15 years, but I'm simply showing you that they aren't as dominant as you think they are.

That post had zero evidence to support that PA has not been dominant.....Besides not winning a championship in those other years in 5A, they won ATLEAST 10 games every year.  They're the closest thing to a powerhouse 5A has to offer.

Again though good sir.  No sense in talking PA....the purpose of my feather ruffling is to say that there doesn't appear to be a single team that will be in title hunt in 2016, 2017, 2018, and 2019.  Besides that mediocre private school that has 3 5A state titles in the last 8 years of course!

MDXPHD

Quote from: Beardad on December 16, 2015, 09:22:08 am

That post had zero evidence to support that PA has not been dominant.....Besides not winning a championship in those other years in 5A, they won ATLEAST 10 games every year.  They're the closest thing to a powerhouse 5A has to offer.

Again though good sir.  No sense in talking PA....the purpose of my feather ruffling is to say that there doesn't appear to be a single team that will be in title hunt in 2016, 2017, 2018, and 2019.  Besides that mediocre private school that has 3 5A state titles in the last 8 years of course!

You said above that it didn't matter about winning games, as you questioned Wynne winning so many games but have zero state titles. Games are irrelevant in your argument.

They don't have 3 in the last 8 years though...they have 3 in the 8 years they have played in 5A. They weren't in 5A the last 8 years...And as far as dominant goes, what would you consider dominant? 3 championships in 8 years means they lost in or before the championship game in 5 of those years. They lost more than they won...so, I'm not sure what you mean. They are a great program, but they are literally challenged every single year in 5A. They won by 3 one year, 10 against Wynne, and then they struggled this year in the finals. I'm not sure why you think they go unchallenged every year.

the voice

Your posts are  humorous also , the first one yes it got under my skin, I think MX also proves a good point about PA being a powerhouse, yes they have won it the last two, to say they don't have higher caliber players , well there is an argument, see the other thread about D1 players on those teams, surely with your in depth football knowledge you won't disagree that having one of those caliber players on team takes it to another level, as you mentioned Hope,

As for calling for a prediction of the next 5 years, wow that's tough way to many things can happen. However I think someone knocking off PA as you say for a title or in the playoffs is just as good. After all there is only one champion. So even if said team was unbeaten and knocked off by a team that wasn't to advance or even win the title , they are the best and the champions that year. I would love to say yes Morrilton will be the team, I can't say they will do it for next 5 years.

MDXPHD

Quote from: the voice on December 16, 2015, 09:36:21 am
Your posts are  humorous also , the first one yes it got under my skin, I think MX also proves a good point about PA being a powerhouse, yes they have won it the last two, to say they don't have higher caliber players , well there is an argument, see the other thread about D1 players on those teams, surely with your in depth football knowledge you won't disagree that having one of those caliber players on team takes it to another level, as you mentioned Hope,

As for calling for a prediction of the next 5 years, wow that's tough way to many things can happen. However I think someone knocking off PA as you say for a title or in the playoffs is just as good. After all there is only one champion. So even if said team was unbeaten and knocked off by a team that wasn't to advance or even win the title , they are the best and the champions that year. I would love to say yes Morrilton will be the team, I can't say they will do it for next 5 years.

According to Beardad, the West has been irrelevant since Greenwood left, so you don't get to count the Morrilton title. That would make the West relevant at least one year since they left, which can't be true.

Beardad

Yea bud, I agree with you totally on all counts.  But is there 1 team out there that can have 40 wins and 1 state championship over the next 4 years?

Give me one of those guys....that's what bothers me is you MIGHT could say Alma, Parkview, Batesville.....MAYBE

but anybody else??  Or can they even do it?

I'm sure in the next 4 or 5 years we will see a Farmington or a WC or Forrest City or Morrilton rise up and win 12 games and win State Championship........but that will be sandwiched between some 5 win seasons....

Beardad

Quote from: MDXPHD on December 16, 2015, 09:46:11 am
Quote from: the voice on December 16, 2015, 09:36:21 am

According to Beardad, the West has been irrelevant since Greenwood left, so you don't get to count the Morrilton title. That would make the West relevant at least one year since they left, which can't be true.

And Morrilton was sick that year...nobody wanted any part of them.  But what came next for the Devil Dogs? a 4 win season....  The West hasn't had a beast since greenwood left.... just a 1 and done

But here you are MDXPHD back on ol Beardad.... please point out the relevant programs in 5A

MDXPHD

Quote from: Beardad on December 16, 2015, 09:57:17 am
Yea bud, I agree with you totally on all counts.  But is there 1 team out there that can have 40 wins and 1 state championship over the next 4 years?

Give me one of those guys....that's what bothers me is you MIGHT could say Alma, Parkview, Batesville.....MAYBE

I'm sure in the next 4 or 5 years we will see a Farmington or a WC or Forrest City or Morrilton rise up and win 12 games and win State Championship........but that will be sandwiched between some 5 win seasons....

Very realistic shot. But lets be honest, if there will never be several teams in one classification that has a shot at doing that. You  said PA will go unchallenged in the next 4 years, and that's just not true. It's not even close to being true. PA is literally challenged every year, even the years they won state. You say they are "head and shoulders above the rest of the 5A...which is clearly false, as I have proven above.

No point in debating this. You are a believer of opinions and I am a believer of facts. We choose to disagree.

Beardad

Quote from: MDXPHD on December 16, 2015, 10:06:38 am

Very realistic shot. But lets be honest, if there will never be several teams in one classification that has a shot at doing that. You  said PA will go unchallenged in the next 4 years, and that's just not true. It's not even close to being true. PA is literally challenged every year, even the years they won state. You say they are "head and shoulders above the rest of the 5A...which is clearly false, as I have proven above.

No point in debating this. You are a believer of opinions and I am a believer of facts. We choose to disagree.

Thank you for some insight.  Like I tried to say, they aren't the New England Patriots.  They get challenged in a game here and a game there.  They're not the 1990 Rison Wildcats or the 1993 Pine Bluff Zebras or the Frank McClellan Bears.  They lose here and there, they win state championship games by 3, but THEY ARE THERE EVERY YEAR.

PA is "head and shoulders above the rest of 5A" on the basis of consistency, volume of wins, and ability to do it this year, next year, and for the foreseeable future, there's no opinion there. 

I'll say it again and I think this dead horse is beaten because the 5A is the only classification currently that has 1 powerhouse followed by a bunch of cylical teams that have the potential to be 1 and done, the rest of the classifications IN THEIR CURRENT STATE OF EXISTENCE have a handful of teams that could arguably win more than 1 title in the next 5 years.  I don't see multiple teams in 5A with that ability...

the voice

If you want 40 plus wins in 5 years, yeah I think some can do that, but Wynne doesn't have a title to go with it, so they don't count either, The Morrilton team was loaded and like most public schools those teams don't come every year, it takes time for those groups to come through. Batesville has won lots of games the last five years, I don't have the total but I'm sure you could find it. However they don't state titles to go with it, so on one hand you wouldn't count them but you do at least mention them as possibilities.

Greenwood did dominate prior to moving up , one could look and see they had more numbers, although it wasn't the only reason for their success , it can not be said it played no part in their dominance. The jimmys and joes play a role, always have and always will. Rick Jones certainly had a hand in it as well.  When Morrilton played Greenwood for the title Morrilton had 30 something players on a 5a team. Greenwood won a close game, and went on to win titles until they moved up I think. So does the 5A have a warren or Nashville? Be hard to say, Certainly some of those Warren teams could beat higher classifications , yet year in and out they just have to be better than other 4a schools, same as Nashville. Those are great programs no argument.
I don't believe PA will win it until 2020, things will change I think, but Ive been wrong before.

Beardad

And I think those guys are the type that could beat PA once in this next cycle....like Batesville did a couple years ago.  But I think we can all agree there isn't one single team that is going to go 3-2 or even 2-3 against PA in the next 5 years, and be in the semis 3 or 4 times. 

That's what I meant by 5A is weak currently.  Not that in 2016 there won't be 4 really good teams that might compete in any classification.  But in 2017, 3 of those 4 will be totally different teams.  The 5A is wide open with the exception of PA because it is down, there isn't an abundance of great or proven coaches, there isn't an abundance of talent.  The 5A is not wide open because of the high caliber of competition that it currently houses.  The #2 team in 2015 couldn't throw a pass......come on man

Beardad

Quote from: the voice on December 16, 2015, 10:21:18 am
I don't believe PA will win it until 2020, things will change I think, but Ive been wrong before.

No, I'm not saying they're about to reel off 7 straight cause they're the best thing since sliced bread.  But for the immediate future, as long as Kelley is still the coach, PA will be in the hunt every year

the voice

I think that's probably true but it doesn't take an expert to say that, lol

When you have the college players they have had recently with the coaching they have , the location in the states capital, yes they will be in the hunt until something changes.

MDXPHD

Quote from: Beardad on December 16, 2015, 10:14:18 am
Quote from: MDXPHD on December 16, 2015, 10:06:38 am

Thank you for some insight.  Like I tried to say, they aren't the New England Patriots.  They get challenged in a game here and a game there.  They're not the 1990 Rison Wildcats or the 1993 Pine Bluff Zebras or the Frank McClellan Bears.  They lose here and there, they win state championship games by 3, but THEY ARE THERE EVERY YEAR.

PA is "head and shoulders above the rest of 5A" on the basis of consistency, volume of wins, and ability to do it this year, next year, and for the foreseeable future, there's no opinion there. 

I'll say it again and I think this dead horse is beaten because the 5A is the only classification currently that has 1 powerhouse followed by a bunch of cylical teams that have the potential to be 1 and done, the rest of the classifications IN THEIR CURRENT STATE OF EXISTENCE have a handful of teams that could arguably win more than 1 title in the next 5 years.  I don't see multiple teams in 5A with that ability...

It's also not a fact. They aren't head and shoulders above the rest of 5A with volume of wins, etc. Batesville has averaged 10 wins per season for the last 6 years and has been to 6 straight semifinals appearances, also making it to the finals 3 times in that span. Sure, they didn't win it, but the facts show that Batesville is as consistent as PA. You can voice your opinion about them all you want, but that doesn't mean it's a fact. PA will absolutely be in the hunt every year, but I'm not seeing why that makes them head and shoulders above everyone else.

Quote from: Beardad on December 16, 2015, 10:29:05 am
And I think those guys are the type that could beat PA once in this next cycle....like Batesville did a couple years ago.  But I think we can all agree there isn't one single team that is going to go 3-2 or even 2-3 against PA in the next 5 years, and be in the semis 3 or 4 times. 

That's what I meant by 5A is weak currently.  Not that in 2016 there won't be 4 really good teams that might compete in any classification.  But in 2017, 3 of those 4 will be totally different teams.  The 5A is wide open with the exception of PA because it is down, there isn't an abundance of great or proven coaches, there isn't an abundance of talent.  The 5A is not wide open because of the high caliber of competition that it currently houses.  The #2 team in 2015 couldn't throw a pass......come on man

Why would we all agree on that? There are a couple of teams that could go 2-3 against PA over the next 5 years lol. I won't debate it anymore with you though, because your arguments have no basis other than your opinion.

Beardad

AT

I'm excited to see how Alma does back in 5A.

The 5A West brings some old dynamics and new dynamics into play.

Morrilton - Perhaps the biggest rival we had as we went up to 6A. Alma won the battle (the 5A West conference championship), Morrilton won the war (The 5A State championship). Morrilton has more reason to let it slide, but I bet you they don't forget that game where they turned the ball over 5 times. Alma would like to show them that beating the Devil Dogs wasn't a fluke.

Greenbrier - I say perhaps they were our biggest rival because as we left the team with the best "recent" record against us was Greenbrier who had beat the Airedales 5 straight times until that 2013 season.

Vilonia - Alma has done well against the Eagles in football, but they have had their share of entertaining games still. Also a fun game.

Harrison - Another team that Alma has done well against in football as of late, but even more true than Vilonia, these games were always a grind until Alma joined 6A. It will be interesting to see if Alma-Harrison matchups are as tough now that they are both 5A.

Clarksville - I won't pretend this wasn't the team Alma was beating up on like the rest of the 5A-West, but they really did show improvement in their scoring this past year. ONLY TIME WILL TELL if the Panthers can improve enough to compete.

Maumelle - Alma sweeps the conference in 2013, Alma leaves for 6A, and then Maumelle comes in and sweeps the conference in 2014. Maumelle did not have the same success last year but I feel they will be much improved and they already proved they can win in this conference.

Farmington - I honestly do think Farmington will be a playoff contender in 2016. I think they were only one game away from being the 4 seed this past year. Also, there has been a budding rival in basketball brewing between these two teams and I wonder if that will spill over into football.

Red Devil Alum

These are good points.

PA Dad

Quote from: Beardad on December 16, 2015, 06:09:22 am
Who? Who is going to be so good next year? Nobody from the South. Hope graduated their 1. White Hall fell of the map. WC graduated the 1 kid they tried to get the ball to every play. CF is in turmoil. Lakeside did all they could this year. Hot Springs can't ever put a whole season together.

In the central, Sylvan Hills has been good lately, but they'll never be on PAs level. McClellan returns some studs and a bunch of big guys, but they can't pass to save their lives. Batesville is very solid year in and year out, I think they've been the best overall team for years but they always falter. Wynne puts a decent season together every now and then, but since the departure of Don Campbell (must be another friend of mine) they haven't been the same. The West has been irrelevant since Greenwood left.

So tell me since I know so little of 5A football, who's to dethrone PA? Who will keep PA from running the table for the next 3 years?

Viliona? Beebe? Fair? GCT? DeQueen? Huntsville?

Sorry I've taken so long to respond, but some of us have to work.  And it looks like ya'll have had a good debate without me.

My comment was related to your assertion that the 5A is weak as toilet water.  Just because PA has been dominant the last couple of years does not mean that the rest of 5A is weak.  5A has had and continues to have some strong teams.  Batesville and Wynne always field strong teams.  McClellan was very strong this year.  LRC was very good this year.  Just because PA won the championship doesn't mean the rest of 5A is weak.

PA Dad

Quote from: Almatrackster on December 16, 2015, 01:19:46 pm
I'm excited to see how Alma does back in 5A.

The 5A West brings some old dynamics and new dynamics into play.

Morrilton - Perhaps the biggest rival we had as we went up to 6A. Alma won the battle (the 5A West conference championship), Morrilton won the war (The 5A State championship). Morrilton has more reason to let it slide, but I bet you they don't forget that game where they turned the ball over 5 times. Alma would like to show them that beating the Devil Dogs wasn't a fluke.

Greenbrier - I say perhaps they were our biggest rival because as we left the team with the best "recent" record against us was Greenbrier who had beat the Airedales 5 straight times until that 2013 season.

Vilonia - Alma has done well against the Eagles in football, but they have had their share of entertaining games still. Also a fun game.

Harrison - Another team that Alma has done well against in football as of late, but even more true than Vilonia, these games were always a grind until Alma joined 6A. It will be interesting to see if Alma-Harrison matchups are as tough now that they are both 5A.

Clarksville - I won't pretend this wasn't the team Alma was beating up on like the rest of the 5A-West, but they really did show improvement in their scoring this past year. ONLY TIME WILL TELL if the Panthers can improve enough to compete.

Maumelle - Alma sweeps the conference in 2013, Alma leaves for 6A, and then Maumelle comes in and sweeps the conference in 2014. Maumelle did not have the same success last year but I feel they will be much improved and they already proved they can win in this conference.

Farmington - I honestly do think Farmington will be a playoff contender in 2016. I think they were only one game away from being the 4 seed this past year. Also, there has been a budding rival in basketball brewing between these two teams and I wonder if that will spill over into football.

Good analysis.  I'd like to see several of those games next year.  There are too many games I'd like to see and not enough time.

Do you know who Alma plays OOC next year?

P.F.G.

PA Dad

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas