• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coolest mascots in the state?

Started by MarionBlueDevil, April 13, 2014, 01:06:22 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

Quote from: Texarkana_Piggie on April 22, 2014, 08:05:39 pm
Our juniors highs used to be college hills shoats and north heights piggies.  Now everybody is a razorback.

We've got the Annie Camp Whirlwinds and MacArthur Cyclones as Jr Highs.

HorseFeathers

i think russellville uses whirlwinds and gales for the lower level teams. Booneville used to call their junior high teams the kittens.

ricepig

Quote from: HF on April 22, 2014, 10:10:48 pm
i think russellville uses whirlwinds and gales for the lower level teams. Booneville used to call their junior high teams the kittens.

We were the Bobkittens at Walnut Ridge Jr High.

Lionheart88

White Hall's were bulldogs at WHJH, but our other jr high, Redfield, were the Fighting Lions and used a completely different color scheme.  Still a lot of Lion alums who are upset about it being shut down last year.  We're all just bulldogs now.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Lionheart88 on April 22, 2014, 10:36:01 pm
White Hall's were bulldogs at WHJH, but our other jr high, Redfield, were the Fighting Lions and used a completely different color scheme.  Still a lot of Lion alums who are upset about it being shut down last year.  We're all just bulldogs now.
I played in their gym....If I remember right it was missing some glass out of just about every window that year. Never knew they were a junior high for White Hall though...

Hoghead

Quote from: HF on April 22, 2014, 10:10:48 pm

Hope does that Kitten thing and the need to drop it. Bobkittens & Kitty Kats for Jr. High. Do like Texarkana and everybody is just Razorbacks. Even though I liked the Shoats & Piggies mascots when College Hill and North Heights used them in Texarkana.

hitemgogetem

Quote from: cuckoobird on April 22, 2014, 08:11:59 pm
Quote from: minerjack2212 on April 22, 2014, 07:16:11 pm
I've got to add that most Jr. High teams follow with the high school as Jr. Jacks or Jr. Hornets or Jr. Panthers.  The Miners have the Crushers as the 8th and 9th grade team and Drillers as the 7th grade team.  You drill, then crush, then mine.
That's pretty cool there

Before they become Fordyce Redbugs they are Chiggers....................

Lions84

Quote from: Lionheart88 on April 22, 2014, 10:36:01 pm

Had a friend in College who graduated from Redfield.

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: HF on April 18, 2014, 10:52:59 pm

Yuma(AZ) Criminals

Fantastic name.

Hopefully they embraced it completely.

wildcat_x-mgr

Glad to read on here about the Monticello thing, my mom went to high school there and told me she remembered them being the Hillbillies. I was always confused because I never heard that anywhere else.

The Razorback thing really confuses me, though. I've always heard the UofA got their nickname from Hugo Bezdek's postgame speech, so was it just coincidence that there was also a high school called the Arkansas Razorbacks?

SantaHog

Growing up in Jacksonville, the two junior highs were side by side and which one you went to was determined by the alphabet.  A-K went to the Southside Saints and L-Z were Northside Demons, but we all were Red Devils at high school.

Hoghead

April 25, 2014, 09:11:47 am #61 Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 09:17:01 am by Hoghead
Quote from: wildcat_x-mgr on April 25, 2014, 01:42:58 am
Glad to read on here about the Monticello thing, my mom went to high school there and told me she remembered them being the Hillbillies. I was always confused because I never heard that anywhere else.

The Razorback thing really confuses me, though. I've always heard the UofA got their nickname from Hugo Bezdek's postgame speech, so was it just coincidence that there was also a high school called the Arkansas Razorbacks?

Arkansas High are the Original Razorbacks. UA were the Cardinals before Hugo's Speech. Texarkana is a Hog crazy town !  Charleston S.C. Middleton High is the only other high school I know of that used the Razorback mascot. Middleton High is closed now.

SouthpawSensation

This brings up an interesting conversation item:
What schools had one mascot, then changed it to something totally different for some reason?

SantaHog

Arkansas State Indians to Red Wolves, we all know why that happened.

ricepig

Quote from: SantaHog on April 25, 2014, 10:26:57 am
Arkansas State Indians to Red Wolves, we all know why that happened.

They had too many losing seasons as the Indians?

Uncle Ivan

They should have went back to Gorillas.

Kazimierz

Quote from: SouthpawSensation on April 25, 2014, 10:10:02 am
What schools had one mascot, then changed it to something totally different for some reason?

Stanford

They were the indians... then the nothings...then a color.... now a color represented as a drunk tree.

MarionBlueDevil

Quote from: SouthpawSensation on April 25, 2014, 10:10:02 am

Marion High School was originally the Spartans. Why they changed to Patriots, I do not know.

Texarkana_Piggie

the first graduating class of arkansas high was in 1899.  they were the razorbacks then from what i understand.  a teacher from AHS did a history of the school a while back but as i am old and have no memory, i can't remember who it was or when.  it was in the 20s when bezdek called them wild razorback hogs. 

Lionheart88

Bezdek made that speech in 1909, I believe.

Texarkana_Piggie

Quote from: Lionheart88 on April 25, 2014, 09:26:26 pm
Bezdek made that speech in 1909, I believe.

see....told you i had no memory!!

Hoghead

The VA-65 Cup Cakes.....later changed their name to Tigers !

Longfellow

No love for the Gators of Two Rivers?!? The school is only 4 years old but the Gator is a legit mascot!

Hoghead

Quote from: Longfellow on April 27, 2014, 11:14:06 pm
No love for the Gators of Two Rivers?!? The school is only 4 years old but the Gator is a legit mascot!
Foreman, Arkansas has been the Gators for a long time....

minerjack

Quote from: Texarkana_Piggie on April 25, 2014, 09:25:22 pm
the first graduating class of arkansas high was in 1899.  they were the razorbacks then from what i understand.  a teacher from AHS did a history of the school a while back but as i am old and have no memory, i can't remember who it was or when.  it was in the 20s when bezdek called them wild razorback hogs.
Bezdek coined the "played like a wild band of Razorback Hogs" phrase in 1910.  That's when the university elected to change the mascot.  Arkansas High, who was the cardinals then too, followed the U of A in the mascot changing.  They did this to receive used athletic gear from the university.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: minerjack2212 on April 28, 2014, 06:26:32 pm
Bezdek coined the "played like a wild band of Razorback Hogs" phrase in 1910.  That's when the university elected to change the mascot.  Arkansas High, who was the cardinals then too, followed the U of A in the mascot changing.  They did this to receive used athletic gear from the university.

Wikipedia disagrees...but then again it is wikipedia..

minerjack

^ I used to think the same thing.  To think wiki was never reliable.  I then found out from a biology professor that most of the time that is where the most reliable information is.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: minerjack2212 on April 28, 2014, 06:51:09 pm
^ I used to think the same thing.  To think wiki was never reliable.  I then found out from a biology professor that most of the time that is where the most reliable information is.

It is lol...but a lot of my professors in school wuoldn't let you use them. So I'd use the references at the end of the article lol...anyway

History of Arkansas High School sort of anyway...Arkansas High allowed the U of A to use the Razorback logo in exchange for used equipment.  The information is under the heading of Did You Know?

Hoghead

Quote from: minerjack2212 on April 28, 2014, 06:26:32 pm
NOOOOO...................... Arkansas High has been the RAZORBACKS since 1899. The UA has gave them gear over the years. BUT AHS are the Original Razorbacks.

hawgrule

I think the Elks are pretty unique, especially now since the AGFC is working an elk population in that area.  Rose Bud Ramblers, LV Beavers, Magazine Rattlers, Blythville Chick(asaw)s, Pokie and Piggot (for now) Robinson Senators, and my favorite as far as uniqueness goes has to be the Bombers of MH, so much to do with that mascot.

Hoghead

MH uses a Navy A-7 Light Attack Corsair Bomber as its Mascot. They even have a Real one mounted in front of the High School.  Now thats neat !!!

hawgrule

Quote from: Hoghead on April 29, 2014, 10:26:32 am
MH uses a Navy A-7 Light Attack Corsair Bomber as its Mascot. They even have a Real one mounted in front of the High School.  Now thats neat !!!

Exactly

SouthpawSensation

If we ever get into a situation where schools with Indian mascots are forced to come up with a new one, I have the first suggestion ... The Osceola Ocelots!

HorseFeathers

Quote from: SouthpawSensation on April 29, 2014, 01:30:19 pm
If we ever get into a situation where schools with Indian mascots are forced to come up with a new one, I have the first suggestion ... The Osceola Ocelots!

Osceola Turkeys :D

Ocelots would be a unique one though./

Hoghead

The McNab Salties ( Hempstead Co.)
                   VS
The Village Idiots ( Columbia Co.)

Lions84

Quote from: hawgrule on April 29, 2014, 10:06:06 am
I think the Elks are pretty unique, especially now since the AGFC is working an elk population in that area.  Rose Bud Ramblers, LV Beavers, Magazine Rattlers, Blythville Chick(asaw)s, Pokie and Piggot (for now) Robinson Senators, and my favorite as far as uniqueness goes has to be the Bombers of MH, so much to do with that mascot.

Burleson HS in Burleson TX are the Elks.
Clarendon ladies are called the Lionettes.

HorseFeathers

Alpine(TX) Fighting Bucks....Actually that's intimidating if you've ever watched the videos of a Deer kicking some poor hunters butt...

minerjack

How about the greatest mascot in all of sports. The Delta State Fighting Okra.... Hehehe

HorseFeathers

Na...the University of California-Santa Cruz Banana Slugs!

MarionBlueDevil

Quote from: Hoghead on April 28, 2014, 03:48:29 am
Quote from: Longfellow on April 27, 2014, 11:14:06 pm
Foreman, Arkansas has been the Gators for a long time....

Yes they have. A College buddy of mine is their head baseball coach. Solid guy too.

Big Fan

Anybody know what Michigan State's mascot was before it was the Spartans? 

minerjack

Quote from: HF on April 30, 2014, 12:33:46 pm
Na...the University of California-Santa Cruz Banana Slugs!
Can't forget them! +1

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Big Fan on April 30, 2014, 06:20:53 pm

Aggies....like 75% of the colleges in the nation lol....Then for a short time per wikipedia they were the Michigan Staters lol...then the Spartans..

Big Fan

Quote from: HF on April 30, 2014, 08:34:22 pm
Quote from: Big Fan on April 30, 2014, 06:20:53 pm

Aggies....like 75% of the colleges in the nation lol....Then for a short time per wikipedia they were the Michigan Staters lol...then the Spartans..
Fighting Farmers

Lions84

I still love the Ark city High River Rats and the Winslow Squirrels!

1-Adam-12

I had a sweat shirt once that said "Marianna Porcupines". 

I wonder was that the Marianna in this state, or another state?

AirWarren

Quote from: 1-Adam-12 on June 11, 2014, 05:28:34 pm

Ask Stuttgart.

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

Quote from: 1-Adam-12 on June 11, 2014, 05:28:34 pm

Marianna, Arkansas before desegregation - T.A. Futrall High School
http://www.tafutrall1969.myevent.com/

1-Adam-12

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: cuckoobird on April 22, 2014, 08:11:59 pm
Quote from: minerjack2212 on April 22, 2014, 07:16:11 pm
I've got to add that most Jr. High teams follow with the high school as Jr. Jacks or Jr. Hornets or Jr. Panthers.  The Miners have the Crushers as the 8th and 9th grade team and Drillers as the 7th grade team.  You drill, then crush, then mine.
That's pretty cool there
lake village sr. high are the beavers. jr high the tigers. makes perfect sense.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas