• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coolest mascots in the state?

Started by MarionBlueDevil, April 13, 2014, 01:06:22 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MarionBlueDevil

On another thread I mentioned that the Blue Devils of West Memphis were one of the coolest mascots in the state.

That got me to thinking about which mascots across the state were the coolest?

I'm going to post my top three and bottom three. I hope you'll do the same.

1.) Conway Wampus Cats- I went to UCA so Conway really became my second "home" team during my college years (after Marion, of course). I love the mascot because it's unique and they even have a freaking statue of the thing when you walk into the stadium. What's not to like?

2.) West Memphis Blue Devils- Intimidating, unique and a rich tradition in basketball and football. You can go anywhere in the state and say you're from Crittenden County and the first thing they ask you is about the Blue Devils.

3.) Junction City Dragons- Dragons are awesome and Junction's a unique school all its own. I even like the color scheme down there.

Honorable mention: Arkansas High Razorbacks.

Bottom three.

3.) Earle/Fayetteville/Springdale Bulldogs- I love Earle and their logo is great, but there are too many dang Bulldogs in the state. I know Fayetteville is the Purple Dogs, but my statement remains.

2.) Marion/Parkview Patriots- I love my school, but the Patriot logo is just kinda eh.

1.) Any Tigers- There are a lot and as Houston Nutt once said, "There are a lot of Bulldogs and Tigers, but only one Razorback."

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: MarionBlueDevil on April 13, 2014, 01:06:22 am
You can go anywhere in the state and say you're from Crittenden County and the first thing they ask you is about the Blue Devils.

A tad more know about the WM3.

SouthpawSensation

April 13, 2014, 09:06:59 am #2 Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 09:14:37 am by SouthpawSensation
Top three (just because of their uniqueness):
1) Smackover Buckaroos
2) Gurdon Go-Devils
3) Morrilton Devil Dogs

Honorable mentions to the Dardanelle Sand Lizards, the Prescott Curley Wolves, the Russellville Crimson Cyclones, the Wonderview Daredevils and the Danville Little Johns.

loyal fan

Really cool that so many Arkansas schools have unusual mascots. Colleges also:  muleriders, wonderboys, etc

Texarkana_Piggie

the original hogs right here in t-town.

AirWarren

zebradynasty

I think the Zebras ranks up there as one of the more unique mascots.

loyal fan

Kazimierz

I have no connection to Danville... but c'mon, the Little Johns.  That is awesome.

The Go-Devils, Sand Lizards, Goblins... all great. So much better than Bulldogs, Tigers, and Wildcats.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Kazimierz on April 13, 2014, 07:27:23 pm
I have no connection to Danville... but c'mon, the Little Johns.  That is awesome.

The Go-Devils, Sand Lizards, Goblins... all great. So much better than Bulldogs, Tigers, and Wildcats.

Some of us are kinda partial to the Wildcats :D

Anyway....Always thought The Wampus Cats and the Sand Lizards were cool mascots...

BigLion10

MarionBlueDevil

Uncle Ivan

I always thought mescaline was involved in the creation of the wampus cat.

HorseFeathers

I read somewhere that the billies of monticello started out as the hillbillys.

Lions84

SouthpawSensation

Lions84

SouthpawSensation

One I totally forgot:
The Deer Antlers!

Dr. Defense

Lionheart88

The GAC has got to hold some kind of record for strange mascots:
ATU: Wonderboys/Golden Sun (the women can't be Wondergirls?  What's up with that?)
UAM: Boll Weevils/Cotton Blossoms(your men's mascot eats your women's mascot?  That's just plum weird)
SAU: Muleriders
HSU: Reddies
SEOSU: Savage Storm
SNU: Crimson Storm

(What is it with OK and storms for mascots?  I guess it's the same phenomenon that sees mascots like the Miami Hurricanes, or Tulane Green Wave)

DogsWin7

Why hasn't someone mentioned.....

Airedale :)   

Didn't we vote on something like this for Paw-Paw and the rest of Alma??   

AirWarren

Proud Warren Lumberjack and Boll Weevil here.

Big Fan

Quote from: HF on April 14, 2014, 10:32:00 am
Correct HF.  Monticello was originally the Hillbillies, but somewhere around the mid to late seventies people began referring to them as the Billies while the state papers (Democrat and Gazzette) still referred to them as the Hillbillies.  By the mid 80's the state papers finally fell in line. 

Also, we played at Lake Village last year for the first time since '89 and the PA announcer referred to us as the Hillbillies.   

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Big Fan on April 14, 2014, 08:22:11 pm
Quote from: HF on April 14, 2014, 10:32:00 am
Correct HF.  Monticello was originally the Hillbillies, but somewhere around the mid to late seventies people began referring to them as the Billies while the state papers (Democrat and Gazzette) still referred to them as the Hillbillies.  By the mid 80's the state papers finally fell in line. 

Also, we played at Lake Village last year for the first time since '89 and the PA announcer referred to us as the Hillbillies.   

Guessing that was a bit confusing for the younger Monticello crowd...

tmycjy

April 15, 2014, 07:09:57 pm #25 Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 07:21:05 pm by tmycjy
here my top 10 pic for coolest mascots

10. Harrison Golden Goblens I far as I know there no other mascots like that in the state
9.  Texarkana Razorbacks no other school has that mascots that a high school in Arkansas then only other Mascots in a collage team
8. Jonesboro Hurricanes there no other school name after a storm
7. Gurdon Go-Devils  this mascots in like no other mascots in the state
6. Batesville Southside Southern No other school has a mascots name the southern
5. Carlisle Bison what can u say no other school has a mascots like this one I believe this mascots was name that because back in day bison Rome that area of Arkansas if I'm wrong please give me the right answer
4. Alma Airdales Yes this School is a DOG and yes there a lot bulldog team and dogs team other there but have u ever hear of airdale
3. Warren Lumberjack who else has a lumberjack as there mascots
2. Fordyce Redbugs here is no other school with this mascots in the state
1. Ozark Hillbillies there no school in the state of Arkansas with most original mascots in the state what neat about this one it was name after mountain men that people called hillbillies
                           those are my top 10 pick in my book now there some honable mention that did not make this top 10 list

Fountain Lake Cobras Name after a snake what can I say
Shiloh Christian Saints a private Church school that there mascots name after something religious
Wynne Yellow Jackets YES there  some other school that are name the Yellow Jackets but what other schools would  has a nick name like the Delta Swarm
Dardanelle Sand Lizards what else can be say on this who else has a mascots like that I believe it was name that because the town has sand lizards live in the sand there I think I got that right if didn't get right please tell me the right story on that and I hope I didn't offend any Dardanelle fans
Nashville Scrappers what can I say here there are no other like that in the state
Bauxite Miners what can u say no other school has this mascots one neat thing is that they call there stadium The pit
Pulaski Robinson Senators no other school in the state had a mascot like this one

this is what  my list would be I know there a lot of tigers and bulldogs and cats and bird mascots that why I pic that as my list

HorseFeathers

Quote from: tmycjy on April 15, 2014, 07:09:57 pm

10. Harrison Golden Goblens I far as I know there no other mascots like that in the state
9.  Texarkana Razorbacks no other school has that mascots that a high school in Arkansas then only other Mascots in a collage team
6. Batesville Southside Southern No other school has a mascots name the southern
5. Carlisle Bison what can u say no other school has a mascots like this one I believe this mascots was name that because back in day bison Rome that area of Arkansas if I'm wrong please give me the right answer
4. Alma Airdales Yes this School is a DOG and yes there a lot bulldog team and dogs team other there but have u ever hear of airdale
1. Ozark Hillbillies there no school in the state of Arkansas with most original mascots in the state what neat about this one it was name after mountain men that people called hillbillies
                           those are my top 10 pick in my book now there some honable mention that did not make this top 10 list

Shiloh Christian Saints a private Church school that there mascots name after something religious
Wynne Yellow Jackets YES there  some other school that are name the Yellow Jackets but what other schools would  has a nick name like the Delta Swarm
Dardanelle Sand Lizards what else can be say on this who else has a mascots like that I believe it was name that because the town has sand lizards live in the sand there I think I got that right if didn't get right please tell me the right story on that and I hope I didn't offend any Dardanelle fans
Nashville Scrappers what can I say here there are no other like that in the state
Bauxite Miners what can u say no other school has this mascots one neat thing is that they call there stadium The pit
Pulaski Robinson Senators no other school in the state had a mascot like this one

this is what  my list would be I know there a lot of tigers and bulldogs and cats and bird mascots that why I pic that as my list

if your gonna rank them based off of nobody else in the STATE having a mascot...then why no love for the Little Johns of Danville, Antlers of Deer, or the Nemo Vista RedHawks...

Lions84

In Fla the have a HS team who are called the Sand Crabs.

cuckoobird

No other school in the state has Ricebird either. I only know of one other team in texas that shares the name

hitemgogetem

Quote from: Dr. Defense on April 14, 2014, 12:09:16 pm
Redbugs is a strange one

Gotta love that one......all through town the lawns and businesses are decorated with signs of a big red tick.....

Lionheart88

If I was in charge of the Fountain Lake Cobras it'd be all I could do not to make constant GI Joe references, refer to myself as the Cobra Commander, etc.  COBRA ATTAAAAACK!

Lions84

Ricebird and Redbugs are the tops in my book.   

Down here we have the Mesquite High Skeeters.

tmycjy

Quote from: HF on April 15, 2014, 07:55:01 pm

if your gonna rank them based off of nobody else in the STATE having a mascot...then why no love for the Little Johns of Danville, Antlers of Deer, or the Nemo Vista RedHawks...

We'll I rank them from who plays football

cuckoobird

No one in 4a has more state titles in football than the Ricebirds

HorseFeathers

Quote from: tmycjy on April 16, 2014, 08:41:14 pm
Quote from: HF on April 15, 2014, 07:55:01 pm

We'll I rank them from who plays football

Danville does play football? They were a decent program until they jumped into 3A a couple years ago...

minerjack

I tend to like the schools that have the history behind their mascot.  Or some kind of significance, such as the Lumberjacks, because of the high lumber industry.  Or, the Ricebirds because Stuttgart is the rice capital of the world.

Of course, the Bauxite Miners though.  The Miners get their name from the miners of Alcoa and Reynolds of the old days.  No lie, the mines in Bauxite produced 98% of the ore used for aluminum in airplanes during WWII.  And if you ever pass through, go through the Bauxite Museum at community hall.  It's free and open on Wednesdays.  VERY very historic and interesting.

AirWarren

Love the bauxite museum. Awesome place for history.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: minerjack2212 on April 17, 2014, 10:06:48 pm
I tend to like the schools that have the history behind their mascot.  Or some kind of significance, such as the Lumberjacks, because of the high lumber industry.  Or, the Ricebirds because Stuttgart is the rice capital of the world.

Of course, the Bauxite Miners though.  The Miners get their name from the miners of Alcoa and Reynolds of the old days.  No lie, the mines in Bauxite produced 98% of the ore used for aluminum in airplanes during WWII.  And if you ever pass through, go through the Bauxite Museum at community hall.  It's free and open on Wednesdays.  VERY very historic and interesting.

Gurdon Go-Devils got their mascot from the logging industry...Think the Go-Devil was a piece of equipment or something like that. We got a history lesson on the 2A board about it back during teh season...

AirWarren

Gurdon Go Devils. Another Logging industry town that has a mascot relating that.

They have an awesome little diner there, Can't remember the name of it.

Radiotalker

Hoghead

Quote from: MarionBlueDevil on April 13, 2014, 01:06:22 am
On another thread I mentioned that the Blue Devils of West Memphis were one of the coolest mascots in the state.

That got me to thinking about which mascots across the state were the coolest?

I'm going to post my top three and bottom three. I hope you'll do the same.

1.) Conway Wampus Cats- I went to UCA so Conway really became my second "home" team during my college years (after Marion, of course). I love the mascot because it's unique and they even have a freaking statue of the thing when you walk into the stadium. What's not to like?

2.) West Memphis Blue Devils- Intimidating, unique and a rich tradition in basketball and football. You can go anywhere in the state and say you're from Crittenden County and the first thing they ask you is about the Blue Devils.

3.) Junction City Dragons- Dragons are awesome and Junction's a unique school all its own. I even like the color scheme down there.

Honorable mention: Arkansas High Razorbacks.

Bottom three.

3.) Earle/Fayetteville/Springdale Bulldogs- I love Earle and their logo is great, but there are too many dang Bulldogs in the state. I know Fayetteville is the Purple Dogs, but my statement remains.

2.) Marion/Parkview Patriots- I love my school, but the Patriot logo is just kinda eh.

1.) Any Tigers- There are a lot and as Houston Nutt once said, "There are a lot of Bulldogs and Tigers, but only one Razorback."
ARKANSAS HIGH are the ORIGINAL RAZORBACKS and they get hornorable mention ? WOW !

hitemgogetem

I hate to say it but the bottom of any list should include..........LR Mills Comets - it was always hard to get fired up over an inanimate object......yes I'm a former Comet.

At least an animal/insect (dragons, yellow jackets, cougars, etc.) or a character (Miners, Patriots, Lumberjacks, etc...) have a characteristic you can relate to.

Comets  only show up every 30 years or so, and even then it's only for a couple of nights......talk about inspiring...huh?

Hoghead

Nashville Scrappers
Prescott Curley Wolves
Gurdon Go Devils
Dardenelle Sand Lizards
Danville Little Johns ( just think if they were the Little Richards )
Forman Gators
Stuttgart Ricebirds
Arkansas High Razorbacks (The Original Hogs)
Pine Bluff Zebras

My out of State favorites are the Frisco City, Alabama Whippets, The Portmouth, Va. Churchland Truckers and the Lakeland, Florida Dreadnaughts !!!!!!

HorseFeathers

Quote from: hitemgogetem on April 18, 2014, 11:08:10 am
I hate to say it but the bottom of any list should include..........LR Mills Comets - it was always hard to get fired up over an inanimate object......yes I'm a former Comet.

At least an animal/insect (dragons, yellow jackets, cougars, etc.) or a character (Miners, Patriots, Lumberjacks, etc...) have a characteristic you can relate to.

Comets  only show up every 30 years or so, and even then it's only for a couple of nights......talk about inspiring...huh?
. Sounds like one of those mascots that the student body got to pick.
Quote from: Hoghead on April 18, 2014, 11:11:55 am
Nashville Scrappers
Prescott Curley Wolves
Gurdon Go Devils
Dardenelle Sand Lizards
Danville Little Johns ( just think if they were the Little Richards )
Forman Gators
Stuttgart Ricebirds
Arkansas High Razorbacks (The Original Hogs)
Pine Bluff Zebras

My out of State favorites are the Frisco City, Alabama Whippets, The Portmouth, Va. Churchland Truckers and the Lakeland, Florida Dreadnaughts !!!!!!

I was gonna suggest the Ellington, mo whippets if we took it to out of state schools....  Anybody remember if Newark was actually the kangaroos?

SouthpawSensation

Newark was the Kangaroos.
And if we are going to mention out-of-state teams, what about the Missouri school that has the Kewpie as the mascot?

HorseFeathers

Quote from: SouthpawSensation on April 18, 2014, 09:55:19 pm
Newark was the Kangaroos.
And if we are going to mention out-of-state teams, what about the Missouri school that has the Kewpie as the mascot?

That's Hickman High in Columbia...

Poca (West Va) Dots
Yuma(AZ) Criminals
Colorado Rocky Mountain High in Carbondale Colorado is the Rocky Mountain Oysters
Williamsport(PA) Millionaires

Hoghead

The Dierks Outlaws ! Rumor has it they used players who had graduated a few years earlier working over at the Saw Mill in town. Thus the visting teams called them OUTLAWS ! 6th & 7th year Seniors...

minerjack

I've got to add that most Jr. High teams follow with the high school as Jr. Jacks or Jr. Hornets or Jr. Panthers.  The Miners have the Crushers as the 8th and 9th grade team and Drillers as the 7th grade team.  You drill, then crush, then mine.

Texarkana_Piggie

Our juniors highs used to be college hills shoats and north heights piggies.  Now everybody is a razorback.

cuckoobird

Quote from: minerjack2212 on April 22, 2014, 07:16:11 pm
I've got to add that most Jr. High teams follow with the high school as Jr. Jacks or Jr. Hornets or Jr. Panthers.  The Miners have the Crushers as the 8th and 9th grade team and Drillers as the 7th grade team.  You drill, then crush, then mine.
That's pretty cool there

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas