• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2016 CLASS 3A CHAMPIONSHIP CAPSULES

Started by BarclayAlmanac, March 10, 2016, 07:41:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BarclayAlmanac

CLASS 3A STATE CHAMPIONSHIP
BOYS
CHARLESTON VS CEDAR RIDGE
Saturday, March 12, 2:30 p.m.
Bank of the Ozarks Arena, Hot Springs

CHARLESTON (27-5)
Head coach: B.J. Ross
State championships: (0)
Road to Hot Springs: Won 3A-1 regional tournament and defeated Piggott, 72-48, Harding Academy, 67-52, and Osceola, 62-56, in state tournament

CEDAR RIDGE (34-3)
Head coach: Isaac Middlebrook
State championships: (2) 2014, 2013
Road to Hot Springs: Won 3A-2 and defeated McGehee, 86-59, Lamar, 67-43, and Centerpoint, 72-47, in state tournament

FEARLESS FACTS: Ross is 112-25 in his 4th season as head coach at Charleston. ... Cedar Ridge won its three regional tournament games by a combined 78 points. ... Cedar Ridge is in the championship game for the third time in four years, winning the title in 2013 and 2014 but was upset in the opener of last year's 3A-2 regional tournament by Mayflower. ... Cedar Ridge's high-scoring guard, 6-5 Austin Reaves, has committed to Wichita State. ... Reaves scored a career-high 73 points with 11 rebounds and seven assists in December against Class 5A finalist Forrest City in a 117-115 three-overtime win in the opener of the Barry Pruitt Hurricane Classic at Jonesboro, and has also scored 57, 56, and 53 this season. ... In January, he set a Northeast Arkansas Tournament record with 191 points in four games, scoring 56 against Valley View in a 89-84 triple-overtime win in the championship game and 57 in the second round in a 71-69 win against Jonesboro Westside in which he scored 33 in the fourth quarter. ... In the state tournament last week, Reaves scored 120 points in three games.

CLASS 3A STATE CHAMPIONSHIP
GIRLS
GREENLAND VS VALLEY SPRINGS
Saturday, March 12, 12:45 p.m.
Bank of the Ozarks Arena, Hot Springs

GREENLAND (27-6)
Head coach: Alan Barton
State championships: (6) 2015, 2013, 2012, 2002, 2000, 1999
Road to Hot Springs: Won 3A-1 regional tournament and defeated Melbourne, 57-32, Cedar Ridge, 61-29, and Genoa Central, 61-54, in state tournament

VALLEY SPRINGS (38-5)
Head coach: Kimberly Jenkins
State championships: (2) 2010, 1994
Road to Hot Springs: Won 3A-3 regional tournament and defeated Paris, 76-64, McGehee, 67-58, and Jessieville, 54-39, in state tournament

FEARLESS FACTS: Barton is looking for his seventh championship ring after guiding the Lady Pirates to the state title in 2015, 2013 and 2012 and serving as an assistant under current Greenwood coach Clay Reeves when Greenland won state titles in 1999, 2000, 2002. ... Jenkins is in her 16th season at Valley Springs, winning the state title in 2010, while also going to the championship game in 2015, 2011, 2009, 2004 and 2001. ... This is a rematch from last year's state championship game won by Greenland, 72-53.

xadboy

Capsules? All you say about Charleston is Ross's record? Then all about Cedar Ridge and Reaves accomplishments? Nice

Ctucker

I guess they could have talked about all the times Charleston come in second! Lol

MDXPHD

Ctucker

I've watched all the games I think refs have done a fine job!

xadboy

I just found that interesting. It does mention Cedar Ridge getting upset, guess the refs didn't get the envelope before that game. There you happy? There's a ref comment for you. Lol

neds

CR is in the final for the 3rd time in 4 yrs, but not in the same class. Two of those three were in 2A

Ctucker

If your talking about capsule at the top of the page. It does say they were upset by Mayflower last year in region!

GBattack

The Fearless Facts are a little lopsided....lol.

smallybells

I'm sure if Charleston makes it again next year when  Fenner (assuming he stays put) is a senior and happens to get recruited by a basketball powerhouse, has a 70 point game and several 50/40 point games, they will do the same for him. There are numerous threads on here that are dedicated to Charleston and Fenner himself for now, and some that were about neither but get hijacked and made to be, calm down, his time is coming, FF is probably just trying to balance the homerism factor on the 3A boards,lol.

GBattack

Quote from: smallybells on March 11, 2016, 09:18:24 am
I'm sure if Charleston makes it again next year when  Fenner (assuming he stays put) is a senior and happens to get recruited by a basketball powerhouse, has a 70 point game and several 50/40 point games, they will do the same for him. There are numerous threads on here that are dedicated to Charleston and Fenner himself for now, and some that were about neither but get hijacked and made to be, calm down, his time is coming, FF is probably just trying to balance the homerism factor on the 3A boards,lol.

Maybe so, but the indication was that these were objective facts. I'd at least like to see CR's coach's record since that's the only stat we have to compare.

Ctucker

Quote from: xadboy on March 10, 2016, 10:30:53 pm
I just found that interesting. It does mention Cedar Ridge getting upset, guess the refs didn't get the envelope before that game. There you happy? There's a ref comment for you. Lol
my bad I read this wrong.

CapnObvious

Can wait to see what cedar ridge does next season ... Congrats on a fine season the reeves boys was very impressive to watch in the finals .

pioneers

Quote from: CapnObvious on March 12, 2016, 08:58:43 pm
Can wait to see what cedar ridge does next season ... Congrats on a fine season the reeves boys was very impressive to watch in the finals .
They may not win 5 games and that's not a joke.

WhiteRiverMonster

I don't know, never under estimate the CR, they are returning a 2 time state champion manager, haha.

MDXPHD

Quote from: WhiteRiverMonster on March 18, 2016, 08:45:50 am
I don't know, never under estimate the CR, they are returning a 2 time state champion manager, haha.

Their coach has some state championships. Some people actually think he had something to do with them, but that's not true.

Ctucker

Head Lion

He is, but you can't make chicken salad out of chicken poop. Well, you can. It just isn't very good chicken salad. With perfect scheduling & the greatest coaches on the planet, I can't see them winning more than 5-7 games in a year for the near future. No knock on their accomplishments, maximized while it was there. Talent will be walking out the door May.

Ctucker

Your right but a lot of schools on here was talking about there talent but he took his and won the state!

Head Lion

Nothing but respect her for Coach Middlebrooks. I saw the Jr hi the last 2 years, without better recruiting than Kentucky, it is time to parachute to higher ground. Because it was like my dates in hi school, double ugly at best.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas