• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Who's looking good this year?

Started by faith, January 25, 2016, 11:35:53 am

Previous topic - Next topic

faith

Well season is almost here!!! Let's get to talking! Who looks to be contenders this season?? 

Boys and Girls

7A
6A
5A
4A

Let's get it started!!

jimmyt

January 25, 2016, 12:45:15 pm #1 Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 12:47:39 pm by jimmyt
5A Boys:

Hot Springs returns Eric Guadron who was the Maxpreps Arkansas player of the year as a Sophomore. They only lost two starters so they should be solid again. I'd love to see the Dequeen game this year. Dequeen always reloads. Heard they had over 120 players show up for tryouts.

Vilonia features two Johnson brothers named Cobi(senior) and Eli(freshman) who are fantastic players. Watch out for them!

Pulaski Academy always pulls a good team together from the Bluebirds. Justin Charette should be the one to look for there but the Owen brothers always do a great job.

Jacksonvile should put together a really strong team this year with move-ins from North Pulaski including Junior Carter who can score from anywhere. Also heard they have a few foreign exchange students that will surely make them better.

Sylvan Hills lost a lot of seniors but inherits a strong group of Sherwood club players who will all be freshman.

Other teams to look for contending and would love to hear something about and also their predicted star player(s):
Harrison-Down last year compared to their past years.
Little Rock Christian-
Maumelle-Lost a lot of seniors last year?
Clarksville
Hope
HS Lakeside
Greenbrier
Valley View

Can't wait for the season to start!

Buck183

I too am hyped and ready for the season. Just counting the days until the benefit game to kick off the season.  Been ready for one of these threads. 

My main topic will be the defending 6A state champs Siloam Springs girls team.

They lost two starting seniors, All state mid fielder Kayli Lane, and All state defender Anika Bos. 

Returning players are junior forward Maycee Lance who is a two year starter, all conference as a freshman, max preps and all state as a sophomore. Sophomore forward Megan Hutto who was the state tournament MVP as a freshman last year with a Max Preps selection and all state selection for her efforts in her first season of varsity ball.  Sophomore Attacking mid fielder Audrey Maxwell that saw all state honors as a freshman last year.  Sophomore defender Brooklyn Buckminster who started as a center back her first year of varsity and got all conference recognition.  Junior Keeper Anna Claire Lewis who saw all state honors as a sophomore. 

All of their offensive players are returning from last year.  Losing Anika Bos in the back line will be tough to replace, but they haven't lost any speed in their back line either. 

New head coach Brent Crenshaw seems to have them focused and practicing hard from the film that I've seen.  Hopefully he can continue with the successes that have been achieved prior to his arrival. 

I don't know much about the state runner up Siloam boys team.  Feedback from the players have them about where they were last year talent wise.  Losing James Pollard in the mid field will be a tough hole to plug.  I'd be surprised if they weren't in the running when all the chips fall in the post season. 

The last 8 or so weeks have been fairly quiet with club ball being over and no winter ball being played.  We are beyond ready to watch some futbol in this household.  Hopefully it's the calm before the storm. 

Buck

faith

Who's your picks to win it all?
7A
6A
5A
4A

Pre-Season Predictions!

Buck183

Quote from: faith on January 27, 2016, 03:00:44 pm
Who's your picks to win it all?
7A
6A
5A
4A

Pre-Season Predictions!

Talk about cutting to the chase!   ;D

I say lets talk preseason outlooks for a bit. You know, give it time to simmer a little and get some flavor before we get to the nut cutting.

Buck

always88

All of the previous seasons Final 4 for all divisions and genders have to be considered serious contenders at this point!

Buck183

Quote from: always88 on January 27, 2016, 09:15:05 pm
All of the previous seasons Final 4 for all divisions and genders have to be considered serious contenders at this point!

Agreed.

The Coach

January 28, 2016, 12:11:36 pm #7 Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 07:21:32 pm by The Coach
I would like to see others schedules. Curious to see what non-conf games teams are playing.

Dardanelle's Non-Conf looks like this:
2/22 Benefit Game @Conway with Conway and Valley View
2/29 vs Clarksville
3/4 vs Warren @ Burns Park
3/8 vs Hot Springs
3/12 @ Harrison Tourney vs Fayetteville
3/14 @ Russellville
3/31 vs Harrison 

VHSCoach2

January 28, 2016, 02:03:32 pm #8 Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 02:05:47 pm by VHSCoach2
Good idea, Coach!

Vilonia Girls non-con schedule:

2/25: vs. Heber Springs (Benefit)
2/27: vs. Jacksonville
2/29: vs. Beebe, 3/3: at Sylvan Hills, 3/5: vs. Hot Springs (North Shore Soccer Soccer Shootout)
3/7: at Marion
3/10: vs. North Little Rock
3/11: vs. Rogers-Heritage, 3/12: vs. Nettleton, 3/12: vs. Paragould, and 3/12 vs. TBD (Paragould Tournament)
3/17: at Shiloh Christian

Vilonia boys non-con schedule:

2/25: vs. Heber Springs (Benefit)
2/27: vs. Jacksonville
2/29: vs. Beebe, 3/3: at Sylvan Hills, 3/5: vs. Hot Springs (North Shore Soccer Shootout)
3/7: at Marion
3/10: vs. North Little Rock
3/11: vs. Fort Smith-Northside, 3/12: vs. TBD, 3/12: vs. TBD (Van Buren Tournament)
3/31: vs. Searcy

Coach Sturdivant, Alma

Hot Springs Boys Non-Conference Schedule:

2/25 @ Cabot (Benefit Game)
2/29/16 vs Sylvan Hills (North Shore Tourney)
3/3/16 vs Beebe (North Shore Tourney)

3/5/16 vs Vilonia (North Shore Tourney)
3/8/16 @ Dardanelle
3/11/16 @ Clarksville

3/18/16 @ Heber Springs
3/31/16 @ Subiaco Academy
4/8/16 vs Warren

4/21/16 vs Greenwood
4/29/16 vs Russellville
5/10/16 @ Lake Hamilton

Our non-conference schedule is spread throughout the entire season. The 5A South did not schedule us any Friday conference games in the entire month of April (having to follow the baseball-softball schedule that has 8 teams opposed to our 5 soccer teams in the conference). SMH.

mijally

Maumelle Boys non conference

3/3 @ Conway
3/10 @ Cabot
4/7 eStem
4/26 @ Catholic

TheGoalkeeper13

Jacksonville Lighthouse Non-Conference Schedule
3/1: @Jacksonville
3/4: @Robinson
3/7: @Arkedelphia
3/10: vs Beebe
3/15: vs Mills
3/17: @Searcy Riverview
3/28: vs Heber Springs

ARSoccer25

Still can't believe that Eric got player of the year over Estivan from DeQueen last year. No offense to Eric, but "The Columbian" as he is known was on a different level than any player in 5a.

Buck183

I saw we stay on topic with the original title of this thread.  There's only been a couple responses giving update.  There's only two schools playing soccer this year in the state of Arkansas?

Buck

faith

Quote from: Buck183 on February 08, 2016, 09:33:16 am
I saw we stay on topic with the original title of this thread.  There's only been a couple responses giving update.  There's only two schools playing soccer this year in the state of Arkansas?

Buck

2 Teams only??

Buck183

Quote from: faith on February 09, 2016, 11:18:14 am

Buck

2 Teams only??

That was my question to the masses. Sarcasm is what most would call it.

You started a thread asking about who is looking good. Two replies for two schools were posted in relation to the intended topic. Since then it has turned into posting non conference schedules and no one else replying about other schools. I liken it to a politician giving an answer to a question but not really giving an answer. 

The way I read this thread there are only two schools in the state of Arkansas playing soccer this season.  Until others reply giving updates about their programs I have stated the truth. I say if we want a thread about non conference schedules then we should start a thread about bin conference schedules. 

Simple. 

faith

Quote from: Buck183 on February 09, 2016, 10:59:16 pm

Buck

2 Teams only??

You started a thread asking about who is looking good. Two replies for two schools were posted in relation to the intended topic. Since then it has turned into posting non conference schedules and no one else replying about other schools. I liken it to a politician giving an answer to a question but not really giving an answer. 

The way I read this thread there are only two schools in the state of Arkansas playing soccer this season.  Until others reply giving updates about their programs I have stated the truth. I say if we want a thread about non conference schedules then we should start a thread about bin conference schedules. 

Simple.

Well I believe there are lots of schools playing this season! I personally am excited about the upcoming season.  I believe that for the boys side you have to be looking at De Queen to make a good run in the 5A, Maumelle is always strong, Valley View should be strong, Hot Springs will be strong with most of the team returning. 4A has a lot of good teams, Dardanelle returns a lot, Danville will have a lot coming back, Warren will also have  a lot back, CAC will be strong I'm sure, I haven't heard much from berryville, green forrest, subiaco teams? Someone may can fill in more information than I can. 7A/6A might be looking the same as last season?  I would love to hear someone else's thoughts on all conferences and the girls side too!

Buck183

Quote from: faith on February 10, 2016, 11:48:04 am
Quote from: Buck183 on February 09, 2016, 10:59:16 pm

Buck

2 Teams only??

Simple.

Well I believe there are lots of schools playing this season! I personally am excited about the upcoming season.  I believe that for the boys side you have to be looking at De Queen to make a good run in the 5A, Maumelle is always strong, Valley View should be strong, Hot Springs will be strong with most of the team returning. 4A has a lot of good teams, Dardanelle returns a lot, Danville will have a lot coming back, Warren will also have  a lot back, CAC will be strong I'm sure, I haven't heard much from berryville, green forrest, subiaco teams? Someone may can fill in more information than I can. 7A/6A might be looking the same as last season?  I would love to hear someone else's thoughts on all conferences and the girls side too!

We too are excited about the upcoming season. Hopefully we will get some replies that give us an idea of how other teams are doing and stay on topic.  I replied saying how are girls are looking.

I get to see quite a few of the 7A teams in the NW area of the state quite often, but don't know how they look yet this year. This will be Bentinville's last year as one school. I look for them to be down next year after they split and get their wings clipped. 

Buck

The Coach

Dardanelle returns 9 starters from last seasons Semi Final team. They also get the best player in the area (according to a local coach) eligible to play this season along with a few others that didn't play last season that should help. Hopefully, they stay healthy and live up to their potential.

faith

Sounds like Dardanelle should be making a good run again this year!  What about the other teams in the semi's and finals?  Danville, CAC, and Warren?  Any news on them?  Any other schools in 4A looking to make good runs this season?  What about the other conferences?

The Coach

Danville had a few exchange students and few others that graduated. I think they return 5 or 6 starters. Warren returns 8-9 starters or something like that I believe. CAC lost a bunch from my understanding, invluding their coach and his son. Just what I was told not sure how accurate that is. 

hst

Hot Springs will be returning 8 starters from last year's semifinal group. They graduated 6 or 7 seniors from last years team including 2 starters and a sub. The biggest question is in replacing their senior center midfielder from last season.

They do have all of their juniors returning this season including Guadron. The conference schedule in the 5A south is always tough with DQ, Lakeside, Hope, and White Hall...plus several tough non-conference matches (Dardanelle - 4A semifinalist, Russellville - 6A champs the last two seasons, Greenwood, Warren, Cabot, etc.)

Five of their junior class players have experience in back to back semifinals so they do have experience on their side and hopefully will make a run at it this year!

TheGoalkeeper13

February 13, 2016, 01:15:22 pm #22 Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 01:18:30 pm by TheGoalkeeper13
Jacksonville Lighthouse has 10 out 11 starters returning for there second season. This will be the first year they have seniors, and only have 4 seniors. With no starters leaving they should have an even better year this year.

Players like Silva, Rivera, Arias brothers, and Huber returning, it should be a good year for this side. March 1st they play the Jacksonville Derby. Definitely a game of skill when J'ville senior ST Carter goes against Lighthouse junior CAM Silva.

Overall with almost every starter back, and only being a second year side... You can expect big things from this team. In 4A-3 they will definitely be a force to reckon with.   

rosstheboss

February 15, 2016, 03:35:35 pm #23 Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 03:37:11 pm by rosstheboss
I'm curious to see how the 5a South plays out. There is so much quality and talent in all of the teams. Lakeside and Hot Springs look very strong this year and Queen will obviously have a solid team. 

Does anyone know how Valley View is looking this year. I thought they had an interesting year last year.

And also does anyone have a schedule of De Queen? I'm curious to see who they match up against!

Thank you in advance.

MB Hog

PA Girls will be good again in 5A.  Lost 5 seniors from last year's runner-up team - 2 starting defenders, 2 starting mid-fielders, and 1 former starting defender who got hurt late in the season and was replaced by the other senior who had previously been a sub.  Good depth and new 9th graders will make up for the loss.

Virtually all the scoring is returning, plus the next Hatcher girl from the Bluebirds.

Lionheart88

Quote from: rosstheboss on February 15, 2016, 03:35:35 pm
I'm curious to see how the 5a South plays out. There is so much quality and talent in all of the teams. Lakeside and Hot Springs look very strong this year and Queen will obviously have a solid team. 

Does anyone know how Valley View is looking this year. I thought they had an interesting year last year.

And also does anyone have a schedule of De Queen? I'm curious to see who they match up against!

Thank you in advance.
All the 5A South team schedules should be in this thread.

tatog19

LR Hall is Looking good seen them practice and they have alot of talent in the midfield.. Maybe they will contend for the 6a South

NWAguy

There are two big tournaments this weekend that should help with this thread at least in terms of the bigger classifications. Ft Smith and Springdale are both hosting several schools this weekend. Should be able to get a better measure of the different conferences and even some out of state competition.

tatog19

6a South teams Are looking good this year
I've heard LR Hall is Looking Good this year

Leopard

Quote from: rosstheboss on February 15, 2016, 03:35:35 pm

Thank you in advance.
http://www.kdqn.net/Sports/DQ%20LEOPARS%20SOCCER%202016.jpg

Jdhelbig

After some big games in tournaments this weekend, as far as 5A boys is concerned, who is looking good? Any specific details about how they play and their strengths/weaknesses? Also, I know more of the 5A south conference competition, but not as much about any other region. Some input?

NWAguy

As far as 7A boys goes. Northside looks like the team to beat they are currently nationally ranked #39 on top drawer soccer and I think they are deserving of that. However the 7A west looks very strong top to bottom maybe with the exception on Southside who seems to be a down this year. Bentonville and Springdale are both regionally ranked on NSCAA's rankings on which Northside is conspicuously absent. I know I know rankings are not necessarily the best judge but it does speak to the overall strength of the conference at least in terms of perception from other out of state teams and coaches, some of whom serve as voting members for these organizations. Whoever the top teams from the 7A west are should be considered favorites to take it all this year IMHO.

Intelligentsia

March 10, 2016, 10:54:28 am #32 Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 10:59:48 am by Intelligentsia
Quote from: Jdhelbig on March 08, 2016, 03:49:39 pm
After some big games in tournaments this weekend, as far as 5A boys is concerned, who is looking good? Any specific details about how they play and their strengths/weaknesses? Also, I know more of the 5A south conference competition, but not as much about any other region. Some input?

Batesville VB are pretty descent this year.  Some speed and good senior leadership.  5-A NE Arkansas is not the mecca of state soccer, but VV and Batesville may make a little noise at state.

I'm confident VV girls will be good and Batesville may develop into a second round playoff team with a small chance of making it to the third round.  Lots of young players without experience, but some exceptional athletes.

Badger

March 13, 2016, 01:07:37 pm #33 Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 06:00:46 pm by Badger
Quote from: NWAguy on March 09, 2016, 11:14:27 am
As far as 7A boys goes. Northside looks like the team to beat they are currently nationally ranked #39 on top drawer soccer and I think they are deserving of that. However the 7A west looks very strong top to bottom maybe with the exception on Southside who seems to be a down this year. Bentonville and Springdale are both regionally ranked on NSCAA's rankings on which Northside is conspicuously absent. I know I know rankings are not necessarily the best judge but it does speak to the overall strength of the conference at least in terms of perception from other out of state teams and coaches, some of whom serve as voting members for these organizations. Whoever the top teams from the 7A west are should be considered favorites to take it all this year IMHO.

I'll agree with this assessment - 7A West is by far the deepest conference.  Not sure where USA TODAY/NSCAA gets the info for its rankings (based on prior year results, maybe?).  Catholic is ranked regionally in its poll.  Just watched Rogers (not ranked) take it to Catholic pretty good and watched Fayetteville (not ranked) play even with Jenks, OK, another ranked team.  It may be tough to judge teams by preseason results, as good coaches use these games to assess the squad, tinker, and tweak.  Regardless, I don't see any 7A Central/East teams competing with top 7A West teams.

AirWarren

Warren has wins over star city, Danville, Dardanelle, Dequeen, and I believe Texarkana.

jimmyt

Don't forget Nettleton in the 5A East... They will compete with Valley View and Batesville for the 1 or 2 seed.

The Coach

Quote from: AirWarren on March 14, 2016, 08:35:37 am
Warren has wins over star city, Danville, Dardanelle, Dequeen, and I believe Texarkana.

They Haven't played Danville

SportsDad

JACKS still waiting for the make-up date for the Danville game...both schools trying to work it into the schedule.

AirWarren

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas