• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2016 State Tournament Bids

Started by VHSCoach2, January 11, 2016, 01:21:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

VHSCoach2

This is from the pdf that woodpeckerfsm placed on the baseball board.  Perhaps someone could paste a link to the pdf (I'm not sure how to do that).

AAA votes on Thursday...

7A: Springdale

6A: El Dorado

5A: Harrison, Hope, Lakeside/Hot Springs

4A: No Bid

Discuss.

chaoslord

I think I can speak for most of us when I say "Please don't let the 5A go to Hope again." Selfishly, I'd like to see it come back to Harrison. Hot Springs can probably host it fine, though.

I'm excited that the 7A isn't doing split locations. Well, I mean I wouldn't be surprised if they used both Springdale and Har-ber fields, but it's going to be in the same city at least.

This is the second year in a row that the 4A is "No bid." CAC ended up running it anyway last year, which made at least 3 straight years. They're the odds on favorite to end up hosting it again at Burns park, I'd have to imagine. I wonder why the no bid?

Buck183

What were the results of the vote?   I haven't looked at their website yet. 

chaoslord

The meeting starts today at 4pm. I think last year they live tweeted as they made selections.

MDXPHD

Quote from: chaoslord on January 11, 2016, 03:16:38 pm
I think I can speak for most of us when I say "Please don't let the 5A go to Hope again." Selfishly, I'd like to see it come back to Harrison. Hot Springs can probably host it fine, though.

I'm excited that the 7A isn't doing split locations. Well, I mean I wouldn't be surprised if they used both Springdale and Har-ber fields, but it's going to be in the same city at least.

This is the second year in a row that the 4A is "No bid." CAC ended up running it anyway last year, which made at least 3 straight years. They're the odds on favorite to end up hosting it again at Burns park, I'd have to imagine. I wonder why the no bid?

too much work for nothing in return really.  Several 4A schools don't have the fields for it either I don't think. Do you have to have 4 fields?

AirWarren

So. Is this my understanding that there won't be having state title games in NLR?

Sir Alex

Title games have been in Fayetteville for the many years now. If you meant tournament games, you never know. 

Not sure that you have to have four fields but I don't see how you can get a full round done in one day for 4a & 5a without four.

AirWarren

Warren and Monticello could probably co host. Warren has their stadium. Monticello has their stadium and some soccer fields. Or Monticello could probably host all in all. They have monticello's field, the Uam field, and the soccer fields at the complex.

Sir Alex

mijally

Based on the setup Hope had last year there can't possibly be any field requirements. They found a big space in a park the morning of the tournament, lined out a field with string, staked it down with tent holders, and said "play ball".

AirWarren

HorseFeathers

5a was won by hot springs/lakeside

chaoslord

I kind of like how spread out everything ended up this year. 4A will almost definitely end up at Burns so NW, Central, Central/SW/Both??? (I don't know what to label hot springs), and S Arkansas will all have tournament soccer to watch this year.

Coach Sturdivant, Alma

The 5A State Tournament will be played completely on artificial turf, with Hot Springs, Lakeside, Lake Hamilton, and Fountain Lake game fields being used for the first round of the tournament.

Lionheart88

That's pretty spread out.  Might be tough on teams where there's overlap between guys and girls coaches.  Good to see that there's no need to worry about precipitation, though.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Lionheart88 on January 15, 2016, 09:14:27 am
That's pretty spread out.  Might be tough on teams where there's overlap between guys and girls coaches.  Good to see that there's no need to worry about precipitation, though.

Hopefully they take that into account when making the schedule

sevenof400

Click here for a visual on these high schools. 

Note: I have Fountain Lake Elementary on this map because I could not get Fountain Lake HS to locate.  I think this is pretty close though. 

Lionheart88

It is.  You can see the football field in the back behind the school.  I'm guessing the high school is right next door to the elementary.

Arbitro

Quote from: Lionheart88 on January 15, 2016, 07:21:15 pm
It is.  You can see the football field in the back behind the school.  I'm guessing the high school is right next door to the elementary.
How do you temporarily mark an artificial field?  The satellite image of the Fountain Lake field shows faint soccer touch lines and goal lines, but none of the interior markings (penalty areas, goal areas, center circle, etc.).

Coach Sturdivant, Alma

I was told by my AD that they will be able to mark the field temporarily with the needed interior markings. Not sure if that means using a special paint or chalk or whatever but it would be temporary only.

The boundary lines are a permanent part of their turf.

Lionheart88

Quote from: Arbitro on January 19, 2016, 08:34:41 am
How do you temporarily mark an artificial field?  The satellite image of the Fountain Lake field shows faint soccer touch lines and goal lines, but none of the interior markings (penalty areas, goal areas, center circle, etc.).
Heck if I know.  Paint?  Chalk?

sevenof400

Quote from: Arbitro on January 19, 2016, 08:34:41 am

I have found that standard paint (the kind used to stripe grass fields) can work on turf fields and is not permanent. 
What I don't know is how long that paint will last under actual use.   

The Coach

4A gonna be in Harrison? I've heard that may be where it ends up. Parks and Rec gonna host it maybe?

chaoslord

Quote from: The Coach on January 27, 2016, 10:14:48 pm
4A gonna be in Harrison? I've heard that may be where it ends up. Parks and Rec gonna host it maybe?

I heard the same thing, although it seemed to be more of a done deal than a maybe the way it was said to me. Maybe I misheard, though! We'll see if the AAA confirms anytime soon. I'm a little shocked it's not going to Burns, but Harrison knows how to run a tournament well.

Arbitro

At the AAA referee clinic last Sunday we were told that the 4A tournament was going to be in Harrison.

sevenof400

Quote from: Arbitro on January 28, 2016, 08:36:37 am
At the AAA referee clinic last Sunday we were told that the 4A tournament was going to be in Harrison.

The field capacity won't be an issue.....but......

In the 4A, I get the sense more teams may be traveling further distances thus increasing the likelihood of needing hotels. 
Can Harrison handle that or will some teams need to make the drive to Branson?

The Coach

Quote from: sevenof400 on January 28, 2016, 12:05:08 pm
Quote from: Arbitro on January 28, 2016, 08:36:37 am

The field capacity won't be an issue.....but......

In the 4A, I get the sense more teams may be traveling further distances thus increasing the likelihood of needing hotels. 
Can Harrison handle that or will some teams need to make the drive to Branson?

They've hosted 4A before and I don't think it was an issue.

faith

WOW!! That will cause A LOT of expense for most teams that are usually in playoffs for 4A.  You would think it would be more centralized! 

Lionheart88

Quote from: faith on January 29, 2016, 01:25:32 pm
WOW!! That will cause A LOT of expense for most teams that are usually in playoffs for 4A.  You would think it would be more centralized!
No more than for 5A most of the last few years.  I agree that centralized is better, but it isn't an issue unique to 4A.

razorback

Agreed that this isn't an issue only for 4A and that other classifications have the same problem.  Which just serves to reinforce the idea of having a state tournament in a central location, namely Little Rock.  It seems to me their are enough fields at Burns that you could run at least a couple of classifications tournament at the same time (perhaps 4A and 5A).  Maybe 4A Monday Tuesday and Wednesday, then 5A  Thursday, Friday, and Saturday.  To appease the northern schools, you could continue to have the state championship games held in Fayetteville at the U of A. 

Another less probable option would be a "home field" advantage playoff where teams could host playoff games, just as in football.  Perhaps play every other day to during the week (game Monday, off Tuesday and Wednesday, play Thursday, off Friday, play Saturday, then following Saturday you still have the state championship games.  Granted it would most certainly force teams to travel long distances and the cost may not be any less.  However, it would serve to reward those elite teams with home field tournament games and might possible energize some schools fan base who would otherwise be non-interested in having to stay multiple nights hours away from home.

One can dream, and until then, you will find my team on a bus crisscrossing the state, until a better option can be realized.  Good luck to all the teams in this upcoming season, looking forward to a memorable year!

Go Broncos, beat Panthers!!!

Buck183

Enlighten me. Why would a town (Harrison) want to host the playoffs for a division that their school doesn't play in? 

Buck

Arbitro

February 01, 2016, 08:49:25 am #31 Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 08:51:36 am by Arbitro
Quote from: razorback on January 31, 2016, 09:04:33 pm
Agreed that this isn't an issue only for 4A and that other classifications have the same problem.  Which just serves to reinforce the idea of having a state tournament in a central location, namely Little Rock.  It seems to me their are enough fields at Burns that you could run at least a couple of classifications tournament at the same time (perhaps 4A and 5A).  Maybe 4A Monday Tuesday and Wednesday, then 5A  Thursday, Friday, and Saturday.
The 4A and 5A tournaments have been held simultaneously at Burns multiple times, including just a couple of years ago. It took eight fields (out of the 16-17 available) and worked just fine as far as I could tell.  Of course it would help if we could keep the Arkansas river from flooding the fields at inopportune times.

sevenof400

Quote from: Buck183 on January 31, 2016, 10:06:52 pm
Enlighten me. Why would a town (Harrison) want to host the playoffs for a division that their school doesn't play in? 

Buck

COC likes the visitors (in other words, $$$$)

Lionheart88

Buck
There are some 4A schools nearby (Bergman, Lead Hill, Green Forest), Harrison is just the closest place with enough fields.  It wouldn't surprise me if one of those schools was in on it, in cooperation with the City.

Buck183

Quote from: sevenof400 on February 01, 2016, 09:55:44 am

Buck

Wondered about that.  If that's the case, why not go after real money and make a bid for 6A or 7A? 

Buck

Buck183

Quote from: Lionheart88 on February 01, 2016, 11:06:48 am

Buck
There are some 4A schools nearby (Bergman, Lead Hill, Green Forest), Harrison is just the closest place with enough fields.  It wouldn't surprise me if one of those schools was in on it, in cooperation with the City.

That makes some sense. 

Arbitro

February 01, 2016, 03:23:38 pm #36 Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 03:26:28 pm by Arbitro

sevenof400

Quote from: Buck183 on February 01, 2016, 03:00:24 pm
Wondered about that.  If that's the case, why not go after real money and make a bid for 6A or 7A? 

Buck

I'm not so sure Harrison would make as much money on the 6A or 7A tourney if they could even get it. 
Fewer teams and half the teams less than 1 1/2 hours from Harrison prob means most teams would be in an out on the same day. 

Sir Alex

Quote from: Buck183 on February 01, 2016, 03:00:24 pm

Buck

Still trying to figure out what that means? 

Lionheart88

Quote from: Sir Alex on February 17, 2016, 07:09:20 am
No, I thought it was pretty clear.

Buck183

Quote from: Sir Alex on February 17, 2016, 07:09:20 am

To me if they were going after the money side of things I would think they would put a bid in for 6A or 7A.  That's all.  Someone pointed out that there are far more 4A schools than 6A or 7A proving my theory wrong. 

The way I looked at it a bigger school would bring more spectators to a game generating more revenue.  I was wrong.

That's about it.....

Buck

Sir Alex

Harrison School District is not hosting the tournament, pretty sure it is Bergman.  There are lots of things going on that week including the 5A Softball, 5A Baseball as well as the annual Crawdad Days festival. it should make for a ton of traffic in town those three days. 

razorback

Wow, hope they get a few more hotels built between now and then....guess there is always Branson too!

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas