• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2015 5A Playoff Bracket and Results (Girls Champion: LRCA, Boys Champion: DeQueen)

Started by sevenof400, May 03, 2015, 09:25:25 am

Previous topic - Next topic

VHSCoach2

chaoslord

AirWarren

DerekOxford

They've had a program for eight years and they've won six state titles. Just staggering.

Sir Alex

Quality and quantity of the right kind of players.   They could run with it for more years to come.  Opponents will eventually learn how to adapt and conquer. 

sevenof400

Quote from: DerekOxford on May 22, 2015, 11:03:25 pm
They've had a program for eight years and they've won six state titles. Just staggering.

They are a textbook example on why promotion / relegation would be a very interesting addition to high school soccer.  It's very likely they would be extremely competitive in the 6A (if not title favorites).   

MDXPHD

Quote from: Sir Alex on May 23, 2015, 07:23:36 am
Quality and quantity of the right kind of players.   They could run with it for more years to come.  Opponents will eventually learn how to adapt and conquer.

I'm not sure if that's true...but if it is, how long will that take? DeQueen is going to continue to produce high quality soccer and have plenty of players.  With the format of the tournament, 3 games in 3 days, it's huge to have the numbers they do. I don't see them slowing down as long as this format stays the same.  Of course, once they get there, they have to win. It seems like they have no problem doing that when they are all fresh for a week. It took them one year in 5A to realize that the level of play was different and the next two years they ran through it.

Quote from: sevenof400 on May 23, 2015, 07:41:27 am

They are a textbook example on why promotion / relegation would be a very interesting addition to high school soccer.  It's very likely they would be extremely competitive in the 6A (if not title favorites).   

That's very true, but DeQueen has some advantages in the sport that other first year programs wouldn't have. It was destined to be a soccer school before they had organized soccer for them. I think they could compete in 6A, but not sure if they can beat Siloam. Very impressive though.

sevenof400

Siloam vs DeQueen would indeed be a match worth the price of admission, MDXPHD.  Perhaps one day (soon), AAA will let soccer use promotion / relegation but I'm not holding my breath waiting...

Sir Alex

Quote from: MDXPHD on May 23, 2015, 07:44:57 am

I'm not sure if that's true...but if it is, how long will that take? DeQueen is going to continue to produce high quality soccer and have plenty of players.  With the format of the tournament, 3 games in 3 days, it's huge to have the numbers they do. I don't see them slowing down as long as this format stays the same.  Of course, once they get there, they have to win. It seems like they have no problem doing that when they are all fresh for a week. It took them one year in 5A to realize that the level of play was different and the next two years they ran through it.

That's very true, but DeQueen has some advantages in the sport that other first year programs wouldn't have. It was destined to be a soccer school before they had organized soccer for them. I think they could compete in 6A, but not sure if they can beat Siloam. Very impressive though.

When teams learn to play better 1v1 defending and learn how to better organize as a group... Could be soon could be far off...  Quality coaches with the correct mix of players can compete against any team.....  the format of the tournament for sure caters to teams with quality within their quantity.  I sure liked the friday, Saturday,  Monday format a lot better.   

The closure of one major industry could also lead to the end just as it could in any small town in Arkansas. 

Either way, they have joined the elite and have earned well deserved bragging rights for the next year. 

hogbert

Quote from: Sir Alex on May 23, 2015, 08:33:59 am
Quote from: MDXPHD on May 23, 2015, 07:44:57 am

When teams learn to play better 1v1 defending and learn how to better organize as a group... Could be soon could be far off...  Quality coaches with the correct mix of players can compete against any team.....  the format of the tournament for sure caters to teams with quality within their quantity.  I sure liked the friday, Saturday,  Monday format a lot better.   

The closure of one major industry could also lead to the end just as it could in any small town in Arkansas. 

Either way, they have joined the elite and have earned well deserved bragging rights for the next year. 

correct mix of players (i.e. talent) is key. Julian Owen is as good a coach as we have in the state, and he just lost 3-8.

mijally

Actually you have to have 11 talented players on the field with them who are capable of passing and holding the ball and when they are inside the box you better clear it out the first time. That's what Northside did when they beat them. That's what Maumelle did and we had success all the way til the end of 2ot. One mistake and they make you pay. Possession is key. If you can't keep it from them you're doomed. P

Sir Alex

I don't disagree with either of you.  DeQueen was beaten a couple of years ago in the state playoffs with them having a ton of talent.  Everyone is beatable at some point.  May be it was the perfect storm when they did lose.   I can promise you that when DeQueen lost the team that beat them may have had 5 quality players on the field.   That team won with disciplined defending with very few mistakes.  The goal DeQueen scored in that 2-1 loss was a pk if my memory is correct.   Hogbert, you are correct when you said PA is well coached.  Without him PA is not in the finals.  The best two teams in 5A boys played in the semi's.  That is just how it works some years.

Congrats to all our champs....

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas