• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

4A Girls

Started by NEA Razorback olfan, October 22, 2018, 06:37:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

NEA Razorback olfan

Who are the Favorites this year?
Anyone want to put a top 10 pre season poll together?
Tell us about your Girls team, what they have coming back?

Bulldog92

Star City has everyone coming back from last year's team. We will have some experience but young with 5 soph, 1 junior and 3 seniors. With the conference going back to the way it was two years ago I'm ready to get these old rivalries going again. Loosing Dumas, Dollarway, and Dewitt to the 3-A we pick up Camden Fairview and Magnolia I believe the competition will be better over all for sure. Without knowing much about the two new teams to the 8-4A they are
5-A schools playing down so I feel they will be pretty competitive!!  Out of the regular teams in the 8-4A SC, Monticello, and Warren will be at the top.

Gray lizard

I expect Pottsville to field a good team even with the loss of 4 major players.

iRebound

Quote from: Bulldog92 on October 22, 2018, 07:56:33 pm
Star City has everyone coming back from last year's team. We will have some experience but young with 5 soph, 1 junior and 3 seniors. With the conference going back to the way it was two years ago I'm ready to get these old rivalries going again. Loosing Dumas, Dollarway, and Dewitt to the 3-A we pick up Camden Fairview and Magnolia I believe the competition will be better over all for sure. Without knowing much about the two new teams to the 8-4A they are
5-A schools playing down so I feel they will be pretty competitive!!  Out of the regular teams in the 8-4A SC, Monticello, and Warren will be at the top.

Saw Warren play this summer and they didn't look great. Just athletic. Noticed the new coach though. Do you think Magnolia or Camden will be able to bump Monty and Warren down the line? I don't see them overtaking the SC dynasty!

Bulldog92

Not sure. We have played Fairview a few times in the past and won can't remember playing Magnolia since I've been back in 2010. The thing I'm not understanding is how these teams are moving down in spring sports but not football. But I don't know if I've ever been told the exact reason.

NEA Razorback olfan

Monticello lost to Valley View by 3

Brookland 40
Marmaduke 22
Half

NEA Razorback olfan

November 09, 2018, 09:29:25 pm #6 Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 10:38:03 pm by NEA Razorback olfan
Brookland 75
Marmaduke 55
F

Valley View 43
Monticello 40
F

Highland 76
BIC 28
F

cannon

Quote from: NEA Razorback olfan on November 09, 2018, 09:29:25 pm
Brookland 75
Marmaduke 55
F

Valley View 43
Monticello 40
F

Highland 76
BIC 28
F

Brookland's girls looked STRONG.  Highland's looked really good as well.

NEA Razorback olfan

Scores from 11/10

Marmaduke 59
Monticello 41
F

Jonesboro Westside 58
Yellville - Summit 42
F

Brookland 35
Riverside 26
F

wait4it

Quote from: Bulldog92 on October 31, 2018, 01:17:13 pm
Not sure. We have played Fairview a few times in the past and won can't remember playing Magnolia since I've been back in 2010. The thing I'm not understanding is how these teams are moving down in spring sports but not football. But I don't know if I've ever been told the exact reason.
Blame it on the AAA for the whole thing.

Bulldog92

That seems to be the answer to all things we gripe about, LOL!!!

NEA Razorback olfan

Brookland 74
Osceola 43
F

Bulldog92

Any surprises after a couple weeks into the season??

iRebound

Viola beats Valley View. I thought Valley may be in the top 4 from that conference over there, but maybe they are more down than I thought. Star City beat Estem by 8. Wish I could have seen that game. Star City also beat Pulaski Academy by 2 in overtime. So those are some eye openers. Stuttgart beat England in a benefit by 30. Not sure how good England is this year, but I know they're traditionally good and supposedly have a D1. All are eye openers.

cannon

Quote from: iRebound on November 16, 2018, 12:50:43 pm
Viola beats Valley View. I thought Valley may be in the top 4 from that conference over there, but maybe they are more down than I thought. Star City beat Estem by 8. Wish I could have seen that game. Star City also beat Pulaski Academy by 2 in overtime. So those are some eye openers. Stuttgart beat England in a benefit by 30. Not sure how good England is this year, but I know they're traditionally good and supposedly have a D1. All are eye openers.

Valley View will definitely be in the bottom four, and probably the bottom three of the conference. The team has 3 juniors, none of which have a lot of experience, 5 sophomores, one of which has a torn ACL, and a couple freshmen, neither of which came from the Jr high starting lineup. They've got a long road ahead of them. They're good kids with a lot of heart, but they lack size and experience. They'll benefit from a great strategic coach, but they're definitely going to struggle.

NEA Razorback olfan

VV has some good talent coming up in that Jr High group, those sophs will get valuable experience on the court this year, that will help them down the road. I really like the VV coaches!

cannon

Quote from: NEA Razorback olfan on November 17, 2018, 02:47:46 pm
VV has some good talent coming up in that Jr High group, those sophs will get valuable experience on the court this year, that will help them down the road. I really like the VV coaches!

Ellis is a rock star.

NEA Razorback olfan

Quote from: cannon on November 17, 2018, 02:56:39 pm
Ellis is a rock star.

She did a great job here, and her boys can play

Bulldog92

Ellis is at Valley view now??

cannon

Quote from: Bulldog92 on November 17, 2018, 05:23:43 pm
Ellis is at Valley view now??

Yup, and we're elated. Jr. High girls coach/mentor/rock star. 

NEA Razorback olfan

Quote from: cannon on November 17, 2018, 06:05:47 pm
Yup, and we're elated. Jr. High girls coach/mentor/rock star.

I never heard her sing, but she was in a movie lol....

iRebound

Quote from: cannon on November 17, 2018, 01:44:38 pm
Valley View will definitely be in the bottom four, and probably the bottom three of the conference. The team has 3 juniors, none of which have a lot of experience, 5 sophomores, one of which has a torn ACL, and a couple freshmen, neither of which came from the Jr high starting lineup. They've got a long road ahead of them. They're good kids with a lot of heart, but they lack size and experience. They'll benefit from a great strategic coach, but they're definitely going to struggle.

Then what will that conference look like? Batesville and Brookland competing for #1 and then? Highland? I have no clue about who's good up that way. Pokey?

87DAWG

Quote from: iRebound on November 19, 2018, 08:56:03 am
Then what will that conference look like? Batesville and Brookland competing for #1 and then? Highland? I have no clue about who's good up that way. Pokey?
I've only seen Batesville SS (2) Hoxie beat them by 40 and a short handed Riverside team beat them by 3!

Highland (once) they beat Marmaduke 25 plus and listen to them on the radio and beat BIC 40 plus!

Valley View (2) Marmaduke beat them 43-40 and then Viola (without Sellers) beat them by 10!

Batesville (2) Beat Mt. View 82-74! In a shootout. Beat Salem 20 plus! Excellent guard play and rebound well! I have heard the Batesville faithful say this, if the live up to the expactions, will be the year if  they are going to do something! They look very strong!

Heard Brookland is tall and physical and skilled at all positions

Blytheville, Westside, and Pokey I have no idea!

Batesville and Brookland for the 1 seed! the rest of the teams will have to prove it every night!

NEA Razorback olfan

November 19, 2018, 12:03:37 pm #23 Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 12:06:11 pm by NEA Razorback olfan
Watched Highland vs BIC , they looked really good.
Brookland vs Nettleton on 27th. Most people would say Nettleton is  probably the best Girls team in this area with Love , Young, Transfer Eaton from Jonesboro, Crippin...they are loaded

MDXPHD

Batesville has a very talented team this year and they are deep - expect them to make a good run at state. Good guard play and some size and athleticism inside.

501 to 870

Quote from: NEA Razorback olfan on November 19, 2018, 12:03:37 pm
Watched Highland vs BIC , they looked really good.
Brookland vs Nettleton on 27th. Most people would say Nettleton is  probably the best Girls team in this area with Love , Young, Transfer Eaton from Jonesboro, Crippin...they are loaded
Nettleton/Brookland game looks to be a dandy! Highland is young but have talent on the team! Their weakness is no depth. #0, Junior,  is solid and has nice outside game and can block shots and rebound too! #3, a freshman, is tough and handles the ball with confidence and can score but looks to get the  others involved. She didn't have that luxury last year on the Junior High team!  I think they will have a good year but next year may be the year they make some real  noise! they will have 2 Freshman that will give them a much stronger bench. Been awhile here in Highland since a girls team made some noise. them 2, along with the rest of the team will be back next year as well! But hey, let's play this year out!!

cannon

Quote from: 501 to 870 on November 20, 2018, 12:18:32 am
Nettleton/Brookland game looks to be a dandy! Highland is young but have talent on the team! Their weakness is no depth. #0, Junior,  is solid and has nice outside game and can block shots and rebound too! #3, a freshman, is tough and handles the ball with confidence and can score but looks to get the  others involved. She didn't have that luxury last year on the Junior High team!  I think they will have a good year but next year may be the year they make some real  noise! they will have 2 Freshman that will give them a much stronger bench. Been awhile here in Highland since a girls team made some noise. them 2, along with the rest of the team will be back next year as well! But hey, let's play this year out!!

#0 HAS to be pushing 6'. She runs the floor extremely well, has decent handles, and is a great shooter. I know that Pena is the motor, but the game I watched left me with the impression that #0 is the key to winning the close ones. They looked strong to me.

Valley View's girls dropped another one to Beebe last night. Lost by 5.  Should've lost by 25, but battled back from a huge deficit in th 4th to make the final look closer than the game actually was.

501 to 870

November 20, 2018, 11:46:11 am #27 Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 11:47:47 am by 501 to 870
Quote from: cannon on November 20, 2018, 07:14:44 am
#0 HAS to be pushing 6'. She runs the floor extremely well, has decent handles, and is a great shooter. I know that Pena is the motor, but the game I watched left me with the impression that #0 is the key to winning the close ones. They looked strong to me.

Valley View's girls dropped another one to Beebe last night. Lost by 5.  Should've lost by 25, but battled back from a huge deficit in th 4th to make the final look closer than the game actually was.
Most definitely! She is the one with the experience! She is 6'1" I think her dad told me. I know all the parents of the girls, as it's a small place here in Highland, on the team.

NEA Razorback olfan

Quote from: 501 to 870 on November 20, 2018, 11:46:11 am
Most definitely! She is the one with the experience! She is 6'1" I think her dad told me. I know all the parents of the girls, as it's a small place here in Highland, on the team.

I agree 0 is very talented , fun to watch

Hawk4L

Farmington is really good.  Pea Ridge and Berryville will be solid. Not sure about Harrison

NEA Razorback olfan

Quote from: Hawk4L on November 20, 2018, 06:46:17 pm
Farmington is really good.  Pea Ridge and Berryville will be solid. Not sure about Harrison

Thanks for the updates, what are these teams style of play

NEA Razorback olfan

November 23, 2018, 10:25:37 pm #31 Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 10:31:27 pm by NEA Razorback olfan
Brookland has a tough schedule coming up.
11/27 vs Nettleton away
12/3 vs Pocahontas away (conference)
12/6 vs Nettleton first game of Paragoud shootout.
12/7 vs ?
12/8 vs ?

I believe CAC, Hoxie, & Batesville are also in the shootout

wait4it

3-4A seems to have quite a few good teams.  Throw in DeQueen, Pea Ridge and Berryville and you have yourself a very competitive state tournament.

NEA Razorback olfan

3:49 left in 2nd
Brookland 15
Nettleton 18

cannon

Quote from: NEA Razorback olfan on November 27, 2018, 07:53:22 pm
3:49 left in 2nd
Brookland 15
Nettleton 18

Dang it!!!!!  I sooooo wanted to be there to see that one, but I checked maxpreps and it indicated that the game started at 5:00 p.m., and my Jr high daughter had a conflicting snoozefest against Wynne. They finished at 7:15.  I could've made it!!!!!!!!!

Keep me updated, bro.

NEA Razorback olfan

November 27, 2018, 09:03:17 pm #35 Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 05:37:49 pm by NEA Razorback olfan
Brookland 38
Nettleton 67
F

Nettleton 29
Brookland 22
H

Big 3rd qtr , blew it open, hats off to  Nettleton, they  looked really good !
Great opportunity for our girls to get better.

NEA Razorback olfan

Quote from: cannon on November 27, 2018, 08:00:52 pm
Dang it!!!!!  I sooooo wanted to be there to see that one, but I checked maxpreps and it indicated that the game started at 5:00 p.m., and my Jr high daughter had a conflicting snoozefest against Wynne. They finished at 7:15.  I could've made it!!!!!!!!!

Keep me updated, bro.

Good game until after half-time , we just couldn't get anything to drop...we go to pokey Monday

cannon

Quote from: NEA Razorback olfan on November 27, 2018, 09:05:27 pm
Good game until after half-time , we just couldn't get anything to drop...we go to pokey Monday

Darn. I hoped that one would be close all the way to the buzzer. Oh well, makes missing it sting a little less.

Charlie1001

Quote from: NEA Razorback olfan on October 22, 2018, 06:37:13 pm
Who are the Favorites this year?
Anyone want to put a top 10 pre season poll together?
Tell us about your Girls team, what they have coming back?

Berryville will finish 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th.  They will beat everyone else out in the quarter finals.  Don't get close to the paint.

Hawk4L

Berryville will not beat Farmington

NEA Razorback olfan

Quote from: cannon on November 27, 2018, 09:16:17 pm
Darn. I hoped that one would be close all the way to the buzzer. Oh well, makes missing it sting a little less.

I believe Getting the 6' Eaton girl put Nettleton over the top, she didn't miss anything the 2nd half. With Mya Love , Dasha Young , and Eaton Nettleton is my pick as the favorite to win the 5A.
We started 2 Sophs and our other Sophs got some good experience tonight.
Ford led us with around 15 Pts . We play them again Next Thursday

Charlie1001

Quote from: Hawk4L on November 27, 2018, 09:35:59 pm

okay..........but I think they will beat them convincingly.

NEA Razorback olfan

November 29, 2018, 05:20:57 pm #42 Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 05:22:58 pm by NEA Razorback olfan
Fast Break Classic at Quitman  per Max Preps Live scoring
After 1qt Girls
Monticello 7
Nettleton 19

NEA Razorback olfan

November 29, 2018, 05:31:02 pm #43 Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 06:06:06 pm by NEA Razorback olfan
Monticello 19
Nettleton 44
H

Monticello 30
Nettleton 70
F

Hawk4L

PR Girls beat Lamar 63-57

Gray lizard

Farmington 65
Pottsville 54

Pottsville girls need experience and are not near as athletic as I hoped. Missed way to many open inside shots to win this game.
Farmington plays very up tempo and has a girl that can flat shoot the 3.  They will be a team to contend and should progress to State.

HogCall11

Quote from: Hawk4L on November 27, 2018, 09:35:59 pm
After playing a common opponent last night do you still stick with your Berryville will not beat Farmington?

Cardfan1

December 08, 2018, 05:08:28 pm #47 Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 05:18:57 pm by Cardfan1
Quote from: HogCall11 on December 08, 2018, 03:20:26 pm
After playing a common opponent last night do you still stick with your Berryville will not beat Farmington?

While I'm not a big "compare scores" fan, it should be noted that Farmington was up 49-19 at half of that common opponent and had began to sub starters out in the third. It was 69-29 to start the 4th and by that time every kid Farmington has on the roster had already been in the game.

Two very different games. Berryville was tied with said opponent at the end of one quarter, they were up 20 at the half and 25ish to start the 4th.  They also have another common opponent in Greenland if you're still wanting to compare scores but honestly, I'm not sure what all that means.

All that said, Farmington and Berryville are built very different. Berryville's team is methodical with tempo and utilizes size as their primary offensive weapons. Depth is not a priority for Berryville nor does it have to be based on their style of play. Due to their style of play, a 10 pt lead for Berryville can seem like a 20 pt margin.  Farmington plays at lightening speed with emphasis on guard play, lengthy face up forward type kids, and ball movement. Depth is a priority and Farmington is built to go on scoring runs at a rapid pace. Farmington Sr Guard Pense has signed with D2 Champ Central Missouri, Sr F Roach signed with Evangel, Jr G Vanzant is getting interest and going on visits to UALR, AState etc and there are 3-4 other Soph and JR's that are getting significant interests for colleges.  While they may not look like a 6A or 7A team or have the size Berryville has (which is impressive!) I wouldn't exactly sneeze at them or think that they won't somehow factor in to the 1-4A Conference race.

Both teams have a lot of experience in big games. Berryville is widely known about by the 4A pundits  but for those that have forgotten, Farmington's Sr and Jr classes have consistently won conference titles, been in elite eights, and final fours over the last few years as well....in 5A and their Sophs went undefeated last season playing primarily the 7A west circuit and tournament schedule.  Another interesting fact for those that don't remember, is that the Farms last year in 4A they won the league, the region, and lost in the Final Four to eventual champ Malvern. I would say Berryville and Farmington could see a lot of each other this year and it will probably be a toss up each time. Two storied programs going toe to toe.....another side note for those in 1-4A not familiar with the former 5A West Girls hoops.....mark this Down, Harrison will be a player in the league as well and regionally Clarksville or Morrilton will probably win the 4-4A. Lady Cards have played Clarksville already this year, won by 13 or 15 but no doubt about it, the Lady Panthers are for real! 

Should be a fun year of girls hoops!

Hawk4L

Quote from: Cardfan1 on December 08, 2018, 05:08:28 pm
While I'm not a big "compare scores" fan, it should be noted that Farmington was up 49-19 at half of that common opponent and had began to sub starters out in the third. It was 69-29 to start the 4th and by that time every kid Farmington has on the roster had already been in the game.

Two very different games. Berryville was tied with said opponent at the end of one quarter, they were up 20 at the half and 25ish to start the 4th.  They also have another common opponent in Greenland if you're still wanting to compare scores but honestly, I'm not sure what all that means.

All that said, Farmington and Berryville are built very different. Berryville's team is methodical with tempo and utilizes size as their primary offensive weapons. Depth is not a priority for Berryville nor does it have to be based on their style of play. Due to their style of play, a 10 pt lead for Berryville can seem like a 20 pt margin.  Farmington plays at lightening speed with emphasis on guard play, lengthy face up forward type kids, and ball movement. Depth is a priority and Farmington is built to go on scoring runs at a rapid pace. Farmington Sr Guard Pense has signed with D2 Champ Central Missouri, Sr F Roach signed with Evangel, Jr G Vanzant is getting interest and going on visits to UALR, AState etc and there are 3-4 other Soph and JR's that are getting significant interests for colleges.  While they may not look like a 6A or 7A team or have the size Berryville has (which is impressive!) I wouldn't exactly sneeze at them or think that they won't somehow factor in to the 1-4A Conference race.

Both teams have a lot of experience in big games. Berryville is widely known about by the 4A pundits  but for those that have forgotten, Farmington's Sr and Jr classes have consistently won conference titles, been in elite eights, and final fours over the last few years as well....in 5A and their Sophs went undefeated last season playing primarily the 7A west circuit and tournament schedule.  Another interesting fact for those that don't remember, is that the Farms last year in 4A they won the league, the region, and lost in the Final Four to eventual champ Malvern. I would say Berryville and Farmington could see a lot of each other this year and it will probably be a toss up each time. Two storied programs going toe to toe.....another side note for those in 1-4A not familiar with the former 5A West Girls hoops.....mark this Down, Harrison will be a player in the league as well and regionally Clarksville or Morrilton will probably win the 4-4A. Lady Cards have played Clarksville already this year, won by 13 or 15 but no doubt about it, the Lady Panthers are for real! 

Should be a fun year of girls hoops!
Harrison will be in the running.  Don't count out Pea Ridge. This is the best team they have had probably ever. We played Berryville at beginning of season and lost by 5. Had the lead with 2mins left.  We play a lot like Farmington. Excited to watch these 4 teams this year

Cardfan1

Quote from: Hawk4L on December 08, 2018, 05:39:56 pm
Harrison will be in the running.  Don't count out Pea Ridge. This is the best team they have had probably ever. We played Berryville at beginning of season and lost by 5. Had the lead with 2mins left.  We play a lot like Farmington. Excited to watch these 4 teams this year

Agreed! Heard good things about PR girls. Excited to see them play!

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas