• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas Coaching Legend to retire

Started by CabotAlum, June 20, 2018, 10:15:19 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Cabotfan

Quote from: gameoflife on July 18, 2018, 07:34:23 pm
What makes you think he will retire before he hits 65-66 or more? I bet the average stay of coaches in Arkansas isn't close to 10 years.

I figured Malham made it to 64, after 40 years I think most coaches will think that is enough. I don't care about the average stay, Malham was there for 37 so I don't consider it average.

footballfan-tastic

I bet somebody on here has the ages for the oldest coaches still in the game or maybe how old the retirees that are the most successful coaches are.

rammer

Scott Reed is about the same age Nick Saban was when Alabama hired him. I am sure the Bama folks are glad they didn't consider him too near retirement.

Cabotfan

Well there you go. Cabot can just pay Reed $10 million a year and he can coach until he's 80.  ;)

Walter

Quote from: Cabotfan on July 20, 2018, 01:08:04 pm
Well there you go. Cabot can just pay Reed $10 million a year and he can coach until he's 80.  ;)

I'm glad I don't pay taxes in Cabot!!! LOL

Cabotfan

eyeproblem

Coach Mike Malham has done a great job at Cabot and remains a great football coach. He's one of the best in Arkansas high school football history because he is a teacher at heart and is a man of integrity. Mike has come very close to matching his father's coaching legacy, and his father was really and truly great.

Air Raider

Quote from: PigskinPete on July 03, 2018, 05:33:47 pm
Malham's offenses regularly moved the ball and scored lots of points. When his teams had problems (not often), it was usually due to lack of speed on defense.

Scored lots of points?  That's funny.  They average 8 minutes per possession on a scoring drive.  You know what's even funnier?  If we are down by two touchdowns at the beginning of the 4th quarter, folks we start leaving.  They know the chances of pulling out a win is slim....

Air Raider

Quote from: AirWarren on July 03, 2018, 08:31:39 pm
And speed is going to magically show up from the halls and under a new coach?

Call me blind, but I'll have to believe it to see it.

You would be surprised at the kids walking the halls year in and out, that just don't have a desire to play for the current staff, for lots of reasons. We live in a different world than we did 40 years ago.  Kids have a lot of options to consume their time, some good, yes some bad.

You would be amazed at the speed walking the halls, kids that would love to play receiver, but they do to a school that doesn't have a position for receivers. You'd be amazed at some of the kids walking the halls that would make a massive offensive line but don't have the desire (or body type) to run twenty 200 yard dashes a day all year long.  Who do lineman every need to run a 200 yard dash a full speed?

We've got what, 3000 kids in high school?  Just simple statistics will almost guarantee some "speed" and an "athlete" year in and out.

Lots of folks think you have to have "speed and athletes" to run the "spread" (that's a very wide term with regards to offenses) but it's simply not true.  I'll take a bunch of average athletes with a lot of intelligence any day.  Kids that can understand defenses, and make adjustments on the fly.  Very few teams are going to have 4 or 5 top "athletes' at wide receiver and there are a lot of schools out there (in our conference) that have more athletes than several schools put together but they don't dominate anyone.  But you put 5 kids at wide out that know how to "get open" (not because they just outrun someone but because they are taught well enough) along with a QB that can just get the ball to them, and you're going to give your opponents fits. 

If you have one good "top athlete" where do you want him?  At FB taking 40 carries a came into a massive pile,  or outside where it's a one on one game? 

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas