• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Onside Kicks in High School Football

Started by Iknewthemwhen, January 23, 2017, 08:14:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Iknewthemwhen

What is the complete explanation of the onside kick rule in Arkansas High School Football, and when can contact occur? 

Made

Quote from: Iknewthemwhen on January 23, 2017, 08:14:10 pm
What is the complete explanation of the onside kick rule in Arkansas High School Football, and when can contact occur? 

the ball kicked must go 10 yards before contact can be made by either team

kicking team can not touch the ball until one of the following happens
1. ball hits the ground and goes 10 yards
     if ball doesn't go 10 yards ball goes to rec team
2. ball goes 10 yards in the air and hits a receiving team member
     if ball is in air rec team can call for a fair catch
     if kicking team jumps over a player to catch the ball its catch kick interference.....

Only thing I am unsure of....is it still catch kick interference if the ball is pooched up no rec team member around kick catches it in the air...or is it considered a different penalty all in itself, ie illegal touching or something.

Iknewthemwhen

Okay, so when can the kicking team initiate contact with the receiving team, the practice of attacking the receiving player or players?

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

Made - I believe that situation is kick catch interference, but I'm not 100% on that. 

Iknewthemwhen - K can not initiate contact until the ball has gone 10 yards. R can initiate contact at any point.

Made

Quote from: Coach DePriest, Shiloh Christian on January 23, 2017, 10:15:51 pm
Iknewthemwhen - K can not initiate contact until the ball has gone 10 yards. R can initiate contact at any point.

:) that was the PA rule was it not, as well as, have to have at least 4 men on each side of the ball.

Iknewthemwhen

So I have a question.  K kicks the ball and immediately R team moves forward 3-4 yards or so,  and sets up a wall and stops, ball has to go 10 yards prior to the K team contacting the R team?  So if the K team makes contact with that wall of blockers prior to the ball traveling 10 yds is it a penalty?

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

Quote from: Made on January 27, 2017, 01:46:09 pm
:) that was the PA rule was it not, as well as, have to have at least 4 men on each side of the ball.
Maybe so, but it was an NFHS rule (national), so I'm not sure if what we were doing at PA influenced it or not.  Either way, it was made with players' safety in mind, so I can't argue against it.  The other rule was that all players had to be within 5 yards of the kick-off line. 

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

Quote from: Iknewthemwhen on January 27, 2017, 04:05:44 pm
So I have a question.  K kicks the ball and immediately R team moves forward 3-4 yards or so,  and sets up a wall and stops, ball has to go 10 yards prior to the K team contacting the R team?  So if the K team makes contact with that wall of blockers prior to the ball traveling 10 yds is it a penalty?
If I remember correctly and the wording is initiate contact, then you are probably correct in thinking you could set a wall.  However, you're really not going to have enough players on one side of the field to "build a wall" that quickly.  Also, K players could just run around you because if you were to try to move to get in their way, it seems that would be initiating contact, so there would be no foul.

One of these officials on the board can set me straight if I'm wrong on any of that.

arreferee

Quote from: Coach DePriest, Shiloh Christian on January 27, 2017, 08:11:03 pm
If I remember correctly and the wording is initiate contact, then you are probably correct in thinking you could set a wall.  However, you're really not going to have enough players on one side of the field to "build a wall" that quickly.  Also, K players could just run around you because if you were to try to move to get in their way, it seems that would be initiating contact, so there would be no foul.

One of these officials on the board can set me straight if I'm wrong on any of that.

Coach is correct in this post.  The kicking team cannot initiate contact.  Many times there is contact on an onside kick, but it is initiated by the receiving team to try and prevent the kicking team from getting the ball.  This is perfectly legal and should not draw a flag (unless, of course, it is an illegal block). 

Iknewthemwhen

So as I understand it the K team cannot contact the R team until the ball has been touched by the R team or the ball has gone 10 yards?  So if a K team player runs into a R team player before the ball travels 10 yards or blocks a R team member in an attempt to knock them away from the ball, that would result in a penalty?

I find this a difficult rule to interpret, I remember seeing players from both teams, K and R attacking each other as quickly as possible and making violent contact.  I watched the state championship game this year with PA and Wynne and it seemed contact was very quick.  I'd have to have a tape and do slow motion to know how soon and if it was early but it seemed it may have been. 

arreferee

Quote from: Iknewthemwhen on January 30, 2017, 06:22:21 pm
So as I understand it the K team cannot contact the R team until the ball has been touched by the R team or the ball has gone 10 yards?  So if a K team player runs into a R team player before the ball travels 10 yards or blocks a R team member in an attempt to knock them away from the ball, that would result in a penalty?

I find this a difficult rule to interpret, I remember seeing players from both teams, K and R attacking each other as quickly as possible and making violent contact.  I watched the state championship game this year with PA and Wynne and it seemed contact was very quick.  I'd have to have a tape and do slow motion to know how soon and if it was early but it seemed it may have been. 

The key here is "initiate" contact.  If K is simply trying to get to the ball and runs into R, they didn't initiate contact.  There has to be intent there.  I agree that it's a very difficult play to officiate.  If K and R are attacking each other, I wouldn't rule that K initiated contact since it was mutual.  I didn't get to see the PA/Wynne game so I can't comment on that.  If you have a play and can post it, I would love to see it.

Redwolves8526

Have they banned the sky kick off the ground yet? Where the kicker kicks the ball straight down and tries to pop it up high for essentially a jump ball at ten yards? I know they have banned this in college. Or, at least, I haven't seen anyone do it in a couple of years

Made

Quote from: Redwolves8526 on January 31, 2017, 02:09:24 pm
Have they banned the sky kick off the ground yet? Where the kicker kicks the ball straight down and tries to pop it up high for essentially a jump ball at ten yards? I know they have banned this in college. Or, at least, I haven't seen anyone do it in a couple of years
I think that is what they are all attempting to do....get that high bounce, just some more effective than others

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

It is still allowed in NCAA, but if the ball only bounces once, R can still fair catch it.

We did it at PA when we had someone that could execute it, but it's pretty difficult to get a high bounce consistently.  That is why you don't see it much in high school.

Made

Quote from: Coach DePriest, Shiloh Christian on January 31, 2017, 03:04:23 pm
It is still allowed in NCAA, but if the ball only bounces once, R can still fair catch it.

We did it at PA when we had someone that could execute it, but it's pretty difficult to get a high bounce consistently.  That is why you don't see it much in high school.
even harder to execute it when playing on grass.

Iknewthemwhen

I don't agree as far as initiating contact.  To me if the R team is set up and not moving forward and the defense runs into them that would be initiating contact, my view would be that the K team would have to avoid contact by stopping or running around the "wall" at least until the ball was touched or had passed the 10 yard mark. 
I expect there will be a rule change, I have no idea what it might be, within the next 5 years.  That's just my opinion.

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

There are not enough players nor enough time  to "build a wall". I teach my onside players to avoid contact. If there is a guy just standing there, we will run right by. R is much better off trying to knock my guy off path than try to draw a penalty by having K run into him.

arreferee

Quote from: Iknewthemwhen on January 31, 2017, 10:03:29 pm
I don't agree as far as initiating contact.  To me if the R team is set up and not moving forward and the defense runs into them that would be initiating contact, my view would be that the K team would have to avoid contact by stopping or running around the "wall" at least until the ball was touched or had passed the 10 yard mark. 
I expect there will be a rule change, I have no idea what it might be, within the next 5 years.  That's just my opinion.

I think we agree on this but are seeing two different things in our minds.  That's why it's much easier to describe when looking at a play on film.  When you say "set up and not moving forward", I picture a legal basketball screen.  This doesn't happen in football.  If R is standing still and K hits them, that would be K initiating contact (and pretty dumb by R unless they are waiting for the ball to come down).  If K is looking at the ball, trying to get to it, and runs into R, that is not initiating contact as they aren't trying to hit R...they are trying to get to the ball.  Semantics, I know. :)  Again, there has to be intent for K to commit a foul by initiating contact before they are eligible to touch the ball on an onside kick.  If they don't intend to hit R, it's not a foul. 

Onside kicks are usually utter chaos with players running all over the place.  Contact is going to be made.  When contact is made, the officials have to judge whether or not K initiated the contact, R initiated the contact, or if the contact was incidental (or mutual) as both players were trying to get to the ball.  It's one of the hardest plays to officiate on the field.  Coach DePriest hit the nail on the head when he said there are not enough players nor time to build a wall.  To me, it was extremely unfair when K could block as soon as the ball was kicked and could have all 10 players on one side of the kicker.  This allowed K to build a wall and prevent R from getting to the ball.  It put R at a huge disadvantage.  I'm glad they changed the rule. 

Iknewthemwhen

So intent determines the foul?  So if I don't intend to facemask or strike a blow with the crown of my helmet or hit late, then I haven't committed a foul?

arreferee

Quote from: Iknewthemwhen on February 01, 2017, 11:42:10 pm
So intent determines the foul?  So if I don't intend to facemask or strike a blow with the crown of my helmet or hit late, then I haven't committed a foul?

For lack of trying to make a pun, football officiating isn't always black and white.  But, when player safety is involved, it is usually black and white.  So, yes, it's a foul whether a face mask is grabbed intentionally or by accident.  But, if a lineman falls down, and the defensive player trips over him, that doesn't mean it's a foul for tripping.  There has to be intent for a tripping foul to be called.  On the other side of that coin, if a player attempts to trip another player and misses, it's not a foul.  The same goes for blocks on an onside kick.

Trust me on this.  No one wants a football game to be called in black and white.  It would never be over because there would be a foul on every play.  You have to use common sense. 

gameoflife

Common sense with officials. That's a new idea.  Not to criticize all officials but I have a few friends in that business and they sometimes confess to making some bad mistakes while they were calling a game.
In their defense, I'm sure it is not easy.  Point in fact.  I've asked at least 10-12 officials to explain certain rules or calls that I witnessed in a game.  Want to guess how many different explanations they gave me.

Iknewthemwhen

Well, I don't really want to debate officials, that was not the purpose of this post.  I was just wondering about the rules dealing with onside kicks.  However, since it sort of turned into officiating and making common sense judgements, that is alarming.  Letting a game teeter on the opinion of officials in regard to when a foul has been committed to the extent that it needs to be called or not is a scary thing. I don't know the answer except to hope they do the best they can and call if fairly regardless of who is supposed to win. 

arreferee

Quote from: Iknewthemwhen on February 02, 2017, 09:52:35 pm
However, since it sort of turned into officiating and making common sense judgements, that is alarming.  Letting a game teeter on the opinion of officials in regard to when a foul has been committed to the extent that it needs to be called or not is a scary thing. I don't know the answer except to hope they do the best they can and call if fairly regardless of who is supposed to win.

I don't think you want holding called at the right hash mark when the running back is 20 yards downfield running down the left sideline.  That's common sense officiating.  No one wants those types of things called. 

As far as you statement goes ("Letting a game teeter on the opinion of officials in regard to when a foul has been committed to the extent that it needs to be called or not is a scary thing. I don't know the answer except to hope they do the best they can and call if fairly regardless of who is supposed to win"), that is the job we are paid for.  If we aren't doing the job striving to get every call 100% correct regardless of who is playing, we don't need to be out there.

Iknewthemwhen

I would say there are some who need to retire. 

arreferee

Quote from: Iknewthemwhen on February 06, 2017, 09:22:35 pm
I would say there are some who need to retire. 

There will always be some who hang on too long.  Unfortunately, if a bunch retire, there might not be enough to cover the games.  Getting new officials (and getting them to stick around) is very hard these days.

gameoflife

Quote from: arreferee on February 07, 2017, 10:34:00 am
There will always be some who hang on too long.  Unfortunately, if a bunch retire, there might not be enough to cover the games.  Getting new officials (and getting them to stick around) is very hard these days.

There sure is a need for more officials but is that a reason to allow officials to do a poor job?  I will admit officiating ain't easy. On the other hand some officials make it a lot harder than needs to be.   

Rulesman

Quote from: gameoflife on February 07, 2017, 08:24:29 pm
There sure is a need for more officials but is that a reason to allow officials to do a poor job?
Unfortunately it's not a valid reason but a fact of life. It's a game of numbers. For everyone you think should sit for doing a bad job, you'd better have a quality replacement ready to step in. Where do you think those folks are coming from?

gameoflife

You are correct there.  The AOA and the AAA should do a better job of training and monitoring though.

Rulesman

Quote from: gameoflife on February 10, 2017, 12:22:05 pm
You are correct there.  The AOA and the AAA should do a better job of training and monitoring though.
Tell us how. It's easy to sit back and make those observations from the stands.

XFalkonz

Quote from: Rulesman on February 10, 2017, 03:42:18 pm
Tell us how. It's easy to sit back and make those observations from the stands.
Here is a idea...how about a reprimand or fine or something when the official screws up totally? When three officials tell a coach to send all the tape they want to the AAA or complain all the coach wants because the AAA isn't going to do anything ...then there is a problem

arreferee

Quote from: XFalkonz on February 22, 2017, 01:07:20 pm
Here is a idea...how about a reprimand or fine or something when the official screws up totally? When three officials tell a coach to send all the tape they want to the AAA or complain all the coach wants because the AAA isn't going to do anything ...then there is a problem

Who is going to levy the fine?  And who is going to collect it?  Since the schools pay the officials, the AAA wouldn't have much to do with collecting the fines.  And, if as you say, "the AAA isn't going to do anything", why do you think they would do this?

Just curious...what kind of things would you consider "screwing up totally?"  I've heard of officials and/or crews who have been reprimanded or been left out of the playoffs (which is basically a fine) for mistakes made during the season.

What else do you think could be done?  Fining is one thing, but give us ways to improve officiating all around instead of just forms of punishment.

XFalkonz

Let's see....placing the ball on the one yard line when it went out at the one yard on a kick off. Allowing a helmet to helmet hit ( that caused the person hit to spend the night in the hospital) and calling it incidental contact. Allowing a line backer to cut a offensive linemen five to eight yards down the field 12 times in a game. These are a couple of the totally screw ups that I am talking about. It is amazing to me how officials always want to hear a coaches ideas and then when you give it them they fold up the tents, shake their heads and say "what do you expect us to do?" I understand it is tough to see all the small details. The examples I gave you were not  small nor we they hidden. I know that officials get a lot of crap from the sideline but come on. In the last 18 years I have watched officiating get worse and worse. It is a thankless job but when the coaches know the rules better than the officials...there is a problem. The most worthless organization we have is the AAA because all they care about is money and they dang sure are afraid of the AOA. They are supposed to protect coaches and players but when it comes to officials...they are terrified. They can dang well punish a coach or player if they act up or say anything but having an official dog cuss a coach ....they say it is your word versus the official and they can't do a thing about it. You want suggestions....make the test harder, make the officials go to more workshops, and suspend or fine them ( yeah the school pays them but the lord almighty high chief know it all AOA can fine them) . But you won't do it....trust me..you won't

Rulesman

Quote from: XFalkonz on February 22, 2017, 07:08:14 pm
Let's see....placing the ball on the one yard line when it went out at the one yard on a kick off.
Curious to know... was the ball touched by R prior to going OOB at the 1? Or did it go out on the 1 untouched by R? Big difference.

XFalkonz

Quote from: Rulesman on February 22, 2017, 08:03:21 pm
Curious to know... was the ball touched by R prior to going OOB at the 1? Or did it go out on the 1 untouched by R? Big difference.
Now I know that several people who post on here may not be up on all the rules and several coaches aren't either....but I do know the difference. The returner was five yard away from the ball when it went out of bounds .....untouched

arreferee

But you won't do it....trust me..you won't

Let's start with this sentence.  According to that, you think I work for the AAA.  That would be incorrect.  While I'm a member of the AOA, I'm not an active member as I haven't worked an AOA contest in probably close to 10 years. 

Let's see....placing the ball on the one yard line when it went out at the one yard on a kick off. Allowing a helmet to helmet hit ( that caused the person hit to spend the night in the hospital) and calling it incidental contact. Allowing a line backer to cut a offensive linemen five to eight yards down the field 12 times in a game. These are a couple of the totally screw ups that I am talking about.

For the 3 examples you gave (and the answer you gave Rulesman), I would agree that the 1st and 3rd are really bad.  I would have to see the 2nd example (helmet to helmet hit) to make a judgement.  Those plays are extremely difficult to get in real time and it's tough to eject a player when you aren't 1000% sure it was targeting.  But, if it was obvious by seeing the play once, I would agree with you.

It is amazing to me how officials always want to hear a coaches ideas and then when you give it them they fold up the tents, shake their heads and say "what do you expect us to do?"

I asked a question, you gave an answer and then proceeded to tell me why I have ignored you...all before I had a chance to answer.  It's obvious you have had some really bad experiences with officials over the years, but if you look back through this forum, I think you'll see that there are a few on here who are very straightforward about officiating, actually want to make it better, and will have a good discussion with you on the subject.

In the last 18 years I have watched officiating get worse and worse. It is a thankless job but when the coaches know the rules better than the officials...there is a problem.

This fall will be my 23rd year of officiating football.  Other than the first 3-4 years while I was learning the game, I don't think I've been in a situation where a coach knows the rules better than I do.  In fact, I've corrected many coaches on the rules more times that I would like to admit...some of those being coaches who pride themselves in telling everyone how well they know the rules.  Unfortunately, I would agree that the quality of officiating has gotten worse over the past 18 years.  I think there are several reasons for this, but a big one is that we are losing older, knowledgeable officials and younger officials aren't getting in and sticking with it.  You can read through this forum and find many other theories as to why this is happening.  But, the bottom line is that we have to get better, no matter the situation.  And, I know you don't want to hear this, but we need the help of the coaches to get better.  There are many, many officials who have quit officiating because it's not worth $75 (or whatever they are getting paid) to be yelled at for 2+ hours on a Thursday or Friday night.  It's tough to focus on your job (especially when you are new at it) when someone is yelling in your ear all night. 

The most worthless organization we have is the AAA because all they care about is money and they dang sure are afraid of the AOA. They are supposed to protect coaches and players but when it comes to officials...they are terrified. They can dang well punish a coach or player if they act up or say anything but having an official dog cuss a coach ....they say it is your word versus the official and they can't do a thing about it.

Again, I don't work for the AAA so I don't know what goes on there.  Unfortunately, the AOA is part of the AAA so the AAA is responsible for protecting the coaches, players, and officials.  This isn't an ideal situation, but it's what we have in Arkansas and we have to work with it.  I can give examples of situations where officials complained about coaches and absolutely nothing was done to the coach.  I'm sure this is just the opposite of what you have experienced.  It all depends on what side of the table you are sitting on as to how you see it.  I'm sure there are complaints from both sides.   

You want suggestions....make the test harder, make the officials go to more workshops, and suspend or fine them ( yeah the school pays them but the lord almighty high chief know it all AOA can fine them).

These are good suggestions, but we are in a catch 22 right now.  We are almost at the place where we don't have enough officials to cover all the games.  Some other states that have reached this place have begun rescheduling games to other nights of the week so officials will be available.  I agree that the test should be harder and officials should have additional training, but requiring officials to go to more meetings and workshops would drive some of them away and that would cause there to be fewer officials available. 

I wish there was one great answer to solve this problem, but there's not...at least not one that I've heard.  I think there are numerous small things that could be done (some on both sides) to make officiating better.  It would just take getting everyone on the same page.  Additional training is great, but it also takes additional money.  You can't very well tell the officials they have to pay for it themselves as they don't get paid much to begin with (see my previous statement about driving some of them away and the additional problem that could cause).  And, according to you, all the AAA is worried about is making money so they probably wouldn't be willing to pony up some funds to provide additional training.  So, it's going to take all parties involved to make things better.  I would love to be involved in doing that (as would many others I know), but my hands are somewhat tied as I don't have any good contacts at the AAA or the AOA.

XFalkonz

50 percent of the interactions I have had with officials over the years have been good. 25 percent have been questionable and 25 percent have been absolutely terrible. I have never cursed a official in 18 years if coaching. I have been cursed numerous times and threatened numerous times with ejection, flags and reporting to the AAA. My main argument isn't actually with officials. It is with the AAA and AOA. They are worthless. They don't care about the quality of the officiating or coaching to some degree. They care about money. I can't put all the blame on officials....they don't have the training that coaches do most of the time. They have main jobs and officiating is providing a service for poor pay. I get it...officials are humans and make mistakes just like coaches. What I can't wrap my head around is why coaches can complain about officials and nothing be done about it....just like officials can complain about coaches and nothing be done about it( although you have to admit the AAA will come down on a coach faster than a official). The problem is that we have officials and coaches who are in the  business for the wrong reasons...either the money, the power or the prestige and have no clue of what the game is about...I don't know you and you don't know me...I am going to assume you are a good official....just assume that I am a good coach who doesn't blame the officials for every loss...

Rulesman

Quote from: Redwolves8526 on January 31, 2017, 02:09:24 pm
Have they banned the sky kick off the ground yet? Where the kicker kicks the ball straight down and tries to pop it up high for essentially a jump ball at ten yards?
Illegal effective with the 2017 season.

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

Quote from: Rulesman on February 23, 2017, 11:58:53 am
Illegal effective with the 2017 season.
I saw that yesterday.  I don't necessarily like it, but I do agree with it (if that makes sense).  I agree because it is trying to protect kids and our sport.  The reason I don't like it is because of all the times we did that kick, the worst "injury" I ever saw was a kid getting the breath knocked out of him.  I think a lot of the recent rules have prevented this kick from being as violent, but this eliminates it completely.

arreferee

Quote from: XFalkonz on February 23, 2017, 10:38:41 am
My main argument isn't actually with officials. It is with the AAA and AOA. They are worthless. They don't care about the quality of the officiating or coaching to some degree. They care about money.

This is a whole different topic and one that may need to be hashed out.  I'm sure there are others on here who know a lot more about the AAA than I do.  I suggest starting a new thread on this (I don't know if the officiating section is the best place or not) and let's see what others have to say.

gameoflife

Officials just need to be open minded when they go into a game and call the game by the rules and not their predetermined idea of who is going to win.  Not an every game thing, but sure happens.

arreferee

Quote from: gameoflife on February 28, 2017, 01:46:37 pm
Officials just need to be open minded when they go into a game and call the game by the rules and not their predetermined idea of who is going to win.  Not an every game thing, but sure happens.

So, you are saying that some officials think they know who is going to win the game so they call it so their assumption is correct?  I would disagree with that.

Rulesman

Quote from: gameoflife on February 28, 2017, 01:46:37 pm
Care to provide a SPECIFIC example, or two? ???

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: arreferee on February 28, 2017, 01:50:26 pm
So, you are saying that some officials think they know who is going to win the game so they call it so their assumption is correct?  I would disagree with that.

No, not so their assumption is correct. Better teams tend to get the benefit of the doubt on judgement calls. And the home team gets an advantage sometimes as well. I'm not complaining mind you, it's just the human element and part of the game.

And I say this as a person who has refereed many, many basketball games of umpired dozens of baseball games. Nobody's perfect and mistakes are made, most ARE unintentional. But I'll still question some calls on Friday nights when I don't think they're being administered correctly.  ;D

arreferee

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on March 03, 2017, 10:47:41 am
No, not so their assumption is correct. Better teams tend to get the benefit of the doubt on judgement calls. And the home team gets an advantage sometimes as well. I'm not complaining mind you, it's just the human element and part of the game.

And I say this as a person who has refereed many, many basketball games of umpired dozens of baseball games. Nobody's perfect and mistakes are made, most ARE unintentional. But I'll still question some calls on Friday nights when I don't think they're being administered correctly.  ;D

Administration errors are a whole different subject than "home cooking" or better teams getting favorable calls.  If officials are giving the benefit of the doubt to better teams on judgement calls, they are better than I am.  It happens so fast, I don't have time to think whether one team is better than the other.  I just have to call it and hope I got it right.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas