• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Most anticipated games next season

Started by Moonshiner, April 16, 2014, 12:52:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Moonshiner

Just curious as to what Class A matchups will be the most anticipated for next years basketball season.  For example, ICC vs Bay.  Not even sure if they play regular season games or not.  That was just an example.
Let's hear some thoughts.  Which games are guaranteed "must see" games?

bscinar

I have heard Bay has scheduled Cedar Ridge and EPC next year - should be two good games but not 1A match ups. Hughes move down into 1A next year - could make for some interesting games.

Moonshiner

Real deal

HorseFeathers

is that a for sure game? If so props to emerson and bay for scheduling that one

Real deal

April 16, 2014, 02:53:52 pm #5 Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 02:58:21 pm by Real deal
Quote from: HF on April 16, 2014, 02:42:05 pm
is that a for sure game? If so props to emerson and bay for scheduling that one

Yes don't have the exact date but it will be at Emerson the second week of December, either that Friday or Saturday night. 

Batman44

HorseFeathers

That's a why can't i go see it game for me lol   

Batman44

You just need to get your priorities in order:)

J.D.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Batman44 on April 16, 2014, 04:04:26 pm

Yeah well....I just thought about it, and a 3 hour trip to see a blow out probably should be low on my priorities :D

HorseFeathers

Quote from: J.D. on April 16, 2014, 05:48:06 pm
Wonderview and Nemo girls. 

Which time? @ Wonderview, @ Nemo...District Finals...Region finals or state finals??

Batman44

Hey, HF, back the wagon up for a minute. I need some clarification on who is blowing out who. Seriously.

Batman44

HorseFeathers

April 16, 2014, 07:50:32 pm #14 Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 07:57:57 pm by HF
Quote from: Batman44 on April 16, 2014, 07:41:03 pm
Hey, HF, back the wagon up for a minute. I need some clarification on who is blowing out who. Seriously.

Bay Over Emerson....It might not be a blow out(not sure what Emerson brings back from last year, and the game is at their place so that helps them you would think.)..but next year, I think as far as 1A opponents are concerned it might be a moral victory for 95% of the teams if they play Bay within 20 or so. Especially if they do indeed get Colton Watson, and he buys into the system and doesn't screw up the team chemistry.

Batman44

Thanks, just wasn't sure exactly what you meant. From what I have heard Watson will indeed be playing next year, and at Bay. Guess we will just have to wait and see how it plays out.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Batman44 on April 16, 2014, 08:32:22 pm
Thanks, just wasn't sure exactly what you meant. From what I have heard Watson will indeed be playing next year, and at Bay. Guess we will just have to wait and see how it plays out.

That's what I've been told to....But also been told he hasn't left maynard yet...So who knows? He might end up at Emerson for all we actually know at this point :D

FreeMoney

Quote from: HF on April 16, 2014, 09:13:09 pm

That's what I've been told to....But also been told he hasn't left maynard yet...So who knows? He might end up at Emerson for all we actually know at this point :D
Won't this be Watsons 4th school in four years? Has the redshirt been applied for yet?

HorseFeathers

Quote from: FreeMoney on April 16, 2014, 09:48:49 pm
Quote from: HF on April 16, 2014, 09:13:09 pm

Won't this be Watsons 4th school in four years? Has the redshirt been applied for yet?

Been Told that he went to Maynard for first year of 7th grade...Hoxie for the second year(This is why people think he's to old to play, cause he flunked it from my understanding) of 7th grade plus 8th-10th grades at Hoxie. Then Maynard for his brother as a junior..Now supposedly going to Bay for his senior year. It's not the first time I've heard of it happening. At least with the distances involved the Watson family will have to make a legit move(I assume).

Mr. Basketball

Watson played two years of seventh grade and one eighth grade at Maynard, 9th and 10th at Hoxie, and 11th at Maynard.  Next year will be his 7th year of junior and senior high basketball.   

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Mr. Basketball on April 16, 2014, 10:54:38 pm
Watson played two years of seventh grade and one eighth grade at Maynard, 9th and 10th at Hoxie, and 11th at Maynard.  Next year will be his 7th year of junior and senior high basketball.   

...7th grade isn't technically junior high?...at least not for sports at all schools. Anyway, the rules are pertaining to age, I've been told that his 19th birthday isn't until after the end of next school year. And the other rule is 8 consecutive semesters of Sr High Elgibility starting with 9th grade, or if for some wild reason he played up in 8th grade it would have started then.

Mr. Basketball

I think AAA is allowing fuzzy math to work in this case.  It is a clear violation to play seven years and AAA has not allowed this in the past but apparently they are allowing it this time for some reason according to some sources.

BoxNOne

Does  this mean schools can use the 7th grade as a "redshirt" year legally? I have never heard of this rule. If it is true, teams with a good 7th grade group could hold them back and they would be even tougher when they got to senior high and had the extra year to mature.

HorseFeathers

Mrbasketball  what rule is being broken? Or where's the fuzzy math? Unless they've made a new rule recently all that matters on eligibility are grades the 8 semester rule and age. Well and the legit move for transfers.

HorseFeathers

Box. . That's an interesting idea. But how many ticked off parents would you have?

Moonshiner

Athletes have 8 semesters of eligible High School participation.  Which equals four years.  Jr. High participation does not come into the picture.  As long as age isn't an issue, and it's a bonafide move, he should be good to go.
His parents would have to move,  and someone on here said they were going to.  Living with his brother would not be legal.

Real deal

Quote from: Moonshiner on April 17, 2014, 08:50:49 am
Athletes have 8 semesters of eligible High School participation.  Which equals four years.  Jr. High participation does not come into the picture.  As long as age isn't an issue, and it's a bonafide move, he should be good to go.
His parents would have to move,  and someone on here said they were going to.  Living with his brother would not be legal.

You are correct on all accounts here. Thanks.

BoxNOne

Quote from: HF on April 17, 2014, 08:41:33 am
Box. . That's an interesting idea. But how many ticked off parents would you have?

No doubt you would have to have parental approval. Not all would go for it but I think some would, especially parents of really good athletes. I just looked up the rule and the way I read it the student cannot participate the repeat year that he is held back in 7th or 8th. Just reading some of these AAA rules you can see how things can be twisted around to fit different situations.

Moonshiner

Quote from: Mr. Basketball on April 16, 2014, 10:54:38 pm

I just now realized what this said.
How'd he play two years of 7th grade?  If he was retained he would not have been eligible the following year.  Can't play four years of Jr. High.
Somebody messed up.

Real deal

Played sr high as a freshman. I do agree many rules are hard to follow but he has been cleared to play he will not violate the 8 semester rule. AAA cleared this before it was done in jr high and has cleared it again this spring. We all heard the rumors all year long. This has nothing to do with Bay either. The kid is eligible to play at Maynard, bay, or any other school in arkansas "if" his parents reside in that district.

BoxNOne

Does anybody know if he participated in basketball his second 7th grade year? Rule pretty clearly states that you can't.

HorseFeathers

he played on senior high team his freshman year

BoxNOne

Yea, I knew that. Saw him play as 8th grader at Maynard and he was good. According to rules, you can't play sports the second repeat year or you lose that year of eligibility. At least, that's how it reads to me. Here it is:"A student repeating either the 7th or 8th grade for any reason shall not have the opportunity for eligibility during the complete year that is repeated". Sounds to me like if you play the repeat year your eligibility stays with you original class.

Moonshiner

I guess the question is, was he held back or retained for his 7th grade year?
If so then Maynard should not have played him that second year.  Probably happens in a lot of schools.  Doesn't make it right though.
Now the  question is, why is the AAA not following their own guidelines?  Or are they not aware that he did this? I think the age rule is the only guideline that can't be overturned by the Executive Director.
I bet Maynard won a lot of 7th grade games those two years. With what was actually an 8th grader on the team.

Real deal

Quote from: Moonshiner on April 17, 2014, 10:40:17 am
I guess the question is, was he held back or retained for his 7th grade year?
If so then Maynard should not have played him that second year.  Probably happens in a lot of schools.  Doesn't make it right though.
Now the  question is, why is the AAA not following their own guidelines?  Or are they not aware that he did this? I think the age rule is the only guideline that can't be overturned by the Executive Director.
I bet Maynard won a lot of 7th grade games those two years. With what was actually an 8th grader on the team.

Not trying to argue any points on anyone's interpretations of the rules. AAA knows the exact situation, knew it before it happened in jr high, and has been asked about it again in last month. Nothing was hid, nothing shady by the kid and his family. AAA has said he is eligible twice, when he was in jr high and now again before his sr year. You don't have to believe me but it is a fact. I again agree that aaa rules leave room for interpretation, ever think that's why they have been called?  Either way he has been deemed eligible, the AAA knows the situation, if you want to choose to continue to ignore that, then ok.

Moonshiner

I'm not questioning the kid or even Bay.  To me it looks like Maynard is probably where the issue is.  If they played him in a year that he repeated then they violated a rule.  If the AAA wants to grant him another year because of it then so be it.
Kinda sets a precedence though and tells kids that if you're good enough the rules don't apply. Just odd is all I'm saying.  Good for him, good for Bay....bad for the rest of Class A.

Real deal

Quote from: Moonshiner on April 17, 2014, 12:11:52 pm
I'm not questioning the kid or even Bay.  To me it looks like Maynard is probably where the issue is.  If they played him in a year that he repeated then they violated a rule.  If the AAA wants to grant him another year because of it then so be it.
Kinda sets a precedence though and tells kids that if you're good enough the rules don't apply. Just odd is all I'm saying.  Good for him, good for Bay....bad for the rest of Class A.

I see and I can't disagree with anything you have said nor am I trying to. IMO only I really don't think this is unprecedented, but won't swear to anything until I can call it fact. Several examples over 20 yrs or so pop into mind. I don't think being good had anything to do with much when they called AAA when he was a 7th grader and it is a fact that they did.

BoxNOne

My only reaction to this is that AAA should remove the quote above about not playing in a repeat year if they aren't gonna enforce it. I remember a case a few years ago concerning a football transfer where a lawsuit was filed and the judge ended up saying the AAA rules were too vague to reach a decision. I think Ozark was one of the schools.I think that's the way AAA wants it. What a useless bunch they are and some of them make six figures!

Real deal

Quote from: BoxNOne on April 17, 2014, 01:22:08 pm
My only reaction to this is that AAA should remove the quote above about not playing in a repeat year if they aren't gonna enforce it. I remember a case a few years ago concerning a football transfer where a lawsuit was filed and the judge ended up saying the AAA rules were too vague to reach a decision. I think Ozark was one of the schools.I think that's the way AAA wants it. What a useless bunch they are and some of them make six figures!

Can't disagree with this either. 2 points, does anyone really think there has never been another 7th or 8th grader that hasn't failed and played their sr year?  2nd Colton is eligible because he doesn't age out before his 8 semesters of high school basketball. This is not unprecedented just really important right now to a lot of folks. I get it, I could site many different rule interpretations if I wanted to talk bad about other places but I'm going to refrain from that, going to keep turning the other cheek.

BoxNOne

Looks to me like they need to just do away with the jr high part of this rule. Just have the eight semester rule after ninth grade and the age restriction. I think the age limitation hits mainly on students held back twice. Then you will probably lose sr year. Do away with rules you won't enforce.

Real deal

Quote from: BoxNOne on April 17, 2014, 03:18:24 pm
Looks to me like they need to just do away with the jr high part of this rule. Just have the eight semester rule after ninth grade and the age restriction. I think the age limitation hits mainly on students held back twice. Then you will probably lose sr year. Do away with rules you won't enforce.

Good point, I agree.

SHS Baller

April 17, 2014, 04:40:47 pm #41 Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 04:42:52 pm by SHS Baller
don't see a blow out happening!

Quote from: HF on April 16, 2014, 07:31:28 pm
Quote from: Batman44 on April 16, 2014, 04:04:26 pm

Yeah well....I just thought about it, and a 3 hour trip to see a blow out probably should be low on my priorities :D

SHS Baller

well here we go again! Season hasn't even started yet and we already have someone making excuses for Bay! If Bay wins its because Emerson sucks and if Emerson Wins its Only because it was at Emerson, it couldn't possibly be because Emerson was the better team. Wait!! Emerson DID beat ICC which is the team that kept Bay from making a trip to Harrison! smh @ some folks  ::)! I'm not saying that I think Emerson will beat Bay but I can just about guarantee you that it wont be a blow out and it will be a good game to see even if it means driving 3 hours on a Friday night to see it! you need to remember that Stephens is being closed and EMerson could possibly gain some players from that team who also made it to STATE while Bay sat back and watched!  ;)

Quote from: HF on April 16, 2014, 07:50:32 pm
Quote from: Batman44 on April 16, 2014, 07:41:03 pm

Bay Over Emerson....It might not be a blow out(not sure what Emerson brings back from last year, and the game is at their place so that helps them you would think.)..but next year, I think as far as 1A opponents are concerned it might be a moral victory for 95% of the teams if they play Bay within 20 or so. Especially if they do indeed get Colton Watson, and he buys into the system and doesn't screw up the team chemistry.

HorseFeathers

April 17, 2014, 09:19:24 pm #43 Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 09:48:17 pm by HF
Quote from: SHS Baller on April 17, 2014, 04:45:24 pm
well here we go again! Season hasn't even started yet and we already have someone making excuses for Bay!

...Really? I'm making excuses for Bay? Where?

I'll help you out...I'm not from Bay, and I'll be on Bay just like everyone else this season if they lose a game they shouldn't...

QuoteIf Bay wins its because Emerson sucks and if Emerson Wins its Only because it was at Emerson, it couldn't possibly be because Emerson was the better team. Wait!!

No...in my honest opinion nobody in 1A will touch Bay this year, has nothing to do with a team sucking or not, Bay IMO should be that good this year...

QuoteWait!! Emerson DID beat ICC which is the team that kept Bay from making a trip to Harrison! smh @ some folks  ::)!

Wait...Your really using this as an argument as to why Emerson shouldn't get blown out by Bay NEXT December, not last season!?! We're not talking about a hypothetical match-up from the 2013-2014 season, when bay played 3 freshman, 2 sophmores and only had 1 senior on the Roster!! We're talking about next season, the 2014-15 season when Bay is returning 4 starters, first two off of the bench and probably add a quality player or two from a Junior high group that didn't exactly suffer because they were missing 3 starters that were playing up last year....Yes you did beat ICC on a neutral court, Yes a Bay squad that relied on 5 Freshman and Sophmores did lose to ICC on their home court in a very hostile environment(Everybody hates Bay LoL)....

Side Note--One of those sophmores did start on the 2013-2014 edition that won the state title.

Just want to point out that through comparing scores with the transitive property, I can show that a team that completely missed 1A state could have beaten both Concord and Cedar Ridge this year :D

Oh yeah I forgot...SMH @ Some Folks ::)

QuoteI'm not saying that I think Emerson will beat Bay but I can just about guarantee you that it wont be a blow out and it will be a good game to see even if it means driving 3 hours on a Friday night to see it!

No...No...I've driven 4 hours to Bradley before for state...got to see a couple of very good games. Looking back on it...it wasn't worth it. I'll never make a drive that far again, unless my daughters are playing the game, and maybe if someone I know is coaching/playing...

Quoteyou need to remember that Stephens is being closed and EMerson could possibly gain some players from that team who also made it to STATE while Bay sat back and watched!  ;)

You hinting around at some fuzzy transfers going on in South Arkansas? Anyway just eyeballing the map it does look it could be plausible that Emerson picks up a few school choice transfers from the old Stephens school district....

Anyway, how many starters/play makers does Emerson bring back from last season? And once again props to both Bay and Emerson for scheduling this game...It's not that oftern we get to see the Best from The North take on the Best from South before March...

FreeMoney

I have a nephew that is in the third grade and is young for his grade so I'm calling my sister tonight and telling her to proceed as usual until he gets in the seventh grade and the tell her to hold him back for a couple of years thru his seventh and eighth grade years. Get him about eight years of high schol ball. Make lots of memories. Sheesh. Governor Beebe please disband the AAA immediately. Is there are a bigger band of idiots anywhere? Why have rules??

BoxNOne

Real deal

Bay vs BIC. Split last year, the rivalry is back with coach taylor back. Both games were played in front of electric packed houses last year!!  Both teams will probably be better!! 

pootnscoot

An easy pick. Opening night wherever I end up at  with a big bag of popcorn and some nachos.

MomaLion

Quote from: bscinar on April 16, 2014, 01:32:55 pm
I have heard Bay has scheduled Cedar Ridge and EPC next year - should be two good games but not 1A match ups. Hughes move down into 1A next year - could make for some interesting games.
Don't sleep on Hughes...they won in 2010 and have remained a force in 6 2AA.  Their biggest fault is that if they get down, they quit on themselves...but until that point they will hustle.  I'm not sure how many they lose this year though to graduation.

Real deal

November 14 Bay @ BIC
December 12 Bay @ County Line all 4 teams
December 13 Bay @ Emerson all 4 teams
December 18 Bay @ Hughes
January 13 Hughes @ Bay
January 27 EPC @ Bay
February 3 BIC @ Bay
February 10 Bay @ ICC

Many other good games on the schedule, but thought these would be the most anticipated

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas