• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Newport open

Started by The Ref, May 08, 2015, 08:38:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The Ref

Who will be the top candidates for this job? Spring ball right around the corner. With NPT dropping down to 3A, this should be a very attractive job.

Infamous

May 08, 2015, 11:16:11 pm #1 Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 06:54:53 pm by Infamous
I'm a lifelong Greyhound fan and alum, and as much as I want to kid myself and say it's still a good job, it isn't. There's a reason Harrison left. The majority of his better players were in the past two classes, and with no reserves waiting in the junior high wings, he saw the writing on the wall. He knew it was time to get out of
dodge while he still had an opportunity.

As far as who they take, I say they strike out on several higher-graded candidates and they eventually tap defensive coordinator Mark Hindsley for the job.

HeberFan

Newport drops down to 3A this fall or next fall ?

phdefense

Quote from: HeberFan on May 09, 2015, 12:58:47 pm
Newport drops down to 3A this fall or next fall ?
Next fall

HeberFan

Oh well, guess that leaves Heber and the rest of the 2-4A trying to gang tackle Carl again. That won't be fun!

Missco

Newport is still a better job than a lot of places.

Razorhummer

As long as they can get someone in there that is from Newport or lives around the area that is willing to stay that would be alright with me. Ever since coach Keedy retired we've went through 7 coaches, well actually 8 when they hired Chris Hill and then decided not to take the job shortly after.

Loyalfan1

I gotta think this is still a good job.  Stability is a must though.

OB11

Quote from: Razorhummer on May 11, 2015, 09:24:44 am
As long as they can get someone in there that is from Newport or lives around the area that is willing to stay that would be alright with me. Ever since coach Keedy retired we've went through 7 coaches, well actually 8 when they hired Chris Hill and then decided not to take the job shortly after.

On the AAEA job board the job description says that the person hired must live in the Newport School District.  I don't think I've ever seen that in a job description before.  I'm sure some say that, just not any that I have seen before.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: OliverBoy11 on May 11, 2015, 10:45:26 am

On the AAEA job board the job description says that the person hired must live in the Newport School District.  I don't think I've ever seen that in a job description before.  I'm sure some say that, just not any that I have seen before.
a head or asst coach should have to live where they coach.

Loyalfan1

Quote from: Oldman on May 11, 2015, 11:06:44 am

+1

minerjack

Why?

beach bum

May 11, 2015, 11:15:32 am #12 Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 11:25:24 am by beach bum
No coach should be required to live in the town they coach.... lets say in theory an assistant for Russellville has owned a house in Russellville for 12 years and is 3 years away from paying his house off. He then takes a head coaching job at Paris which is about 40 miles away. Nobody deserves to be forced to sell their home they worked their entire life for. There is a coach I knew who drove from Fayetteville to Hackett. This coach is still in the River Valley with his home in Fayetteville. The guy was completely dedicated when he coached me. He was the first employee to school everyday! He would be reading the newspaper after already jogging as we came in for our 6:30 a.m. lifting session. The guy had incredible dedication to our program. Coaches went to school for 4 or 5 years and show up everyday to work. They deserve to live wherever they want.

The Ref

[/quote]
Curious to know the rationale behind this comment.  If Bielema buys a house in Springdale, Bentonville or Rogers, would he not be fit to be the HC at AR?

SouthpawSensation

Totally disagree on this one, particularly in smaller schools.
For example, what's wrong with a coach at Mayflower living in Conway, where there's a lot more shopping and closer to places like a doctor's office or a hospital? What if his wife worked in Conway? I know I would much rather travel the longer distance to work than make my wife do it.

whippersnapper

The right choice is to hire Hindsley. He has worked his way up from Jr high to sr high assistant and then to DC. Has been there a while. He will also do right by the kids and won't have to change the offense.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: SouthpawSensation on May 11, 2015, 12:10:45 pm

For example, what's wrong with a coach at Mayflower living in Conway, where there's a lot more shopping and closer to places like a doctor's office or a hospital? What if his wife worked in Conway? I know I would much rather travel the longer distance to work than make my wife do it.
just my opinion but hard to have school pride when it's not a good enough place for you to live as a coach. can you imagine the warren fans if bo decided since the shopping was better he was going to live in monticello?

The Ref

Quote from: Oldman on May 11, 2015, 12:46:18 pm

just my opinion but hard to have school pride when it's not a good enough place for you to live as a coach. can you imagine the warren fans if bo decided since the shopping was better he was going to live in monticello?
If it didn't negatively affect his job performance & Warren continued to be successful, I don't understand how it could be a problem.  Where a man lays his head down at night shouldn't be that important IMO. 

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: The Ref on May 11, 2015, 12:51:12 pm

If it didn't negatively affect his job performance & Warren continued to be successful, I don't understand how it could be a problem.  Where a man lays his head down at night shouldn't be that important IMO.
we have different opinions. neither is wrong.

AirWarren

Shopping is better. Haha. You've been reading Monticello live too much.

OB11

People move and relocate all the time for jobs, but I just don't know that a school district should force someone to live within the district.  Especially if it doesn't impact his job performance.

On the flip side of that, I do understand that a coach (especially the head football coach) is the face of the school to not only the community but to the rest of the state.  I can see a district wanting the coach to live in the district.  I just thought it was interesting that it was actually stated in the job posting.

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: AirWarren on May 11, 2015, 01:05:42 pm

Well, I hear they have a nice Wal-Mart.

Lions84

Sad to here Newport keeps having turnover.  My cousins both attended Newport and are proud Grey Hound Grads.

jameslogan938

I'm hearing that they are looking into Newport Alum to come and bring back the tradition of Newport football.  Didnt hear any names but can anyone name a few that are coaching now that might want to come back

cuckoobird

Quote from: Oldman on May 11, 2015, 12:55:48 pm

I'm on your side but I know it doesn't mean much

The Ref

Quote from: jameslogan938 on May 11, 2015, 02:13:34 pm
Jon Bradley-CaveCity; Wade Massey-Nettleton; Reardon Batesville SS
I'm hearing that they are looking into Newport Alum to come and bring back the tradition of Newport football.  Didnt hear any names but can anyone name a few that are coaching now that might want to come back

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: cuckoobird on May 11, 2015, 04:19:17 pm
Quote from: Oldman on May 11, 2015, 12:55:48 pm

I'm on your side but I know it doesn't mean much
well then i must be right, lol.

Razorhummer

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on May 11, 2015, 01:17:24 pm

They could've had a nice Sam's and Wal-Mart Distribution Center like you see in Searcy back when Sam Walton was wanting to put it in Newport but thanks to a greedy farmer and few other higher folks around Jackson County it didn't happen.

minerjack

Hey, why dont you vent a little?

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: Razorhummer on May 12, 2015, 08:51:16 am
Quote from: SUGARTOWN on May 11, 2015, 01:17:24 pm

They could've had a nice Sam's and Wal-Mart Distribution Center like you see in Searcy back when Sam Walton was wanting to put it in Newport but thanks to a greedy farmer and few other higher folks around Jackson County it didn't happen.

Oh I was talking about Monticello v. Warren.

Loyalfan1

Return of Mark Whatley?

Razorhummer

Razorhummer

Coach Mathis would be a good one I can think of since he was on coach Keedy's staff. I really don't think he would take it though if they offered it to him since he did waited around and wanted the job and passed him up several times from what I heard.

Infamous

Quote from: Razorhummer on May 13, 2015, 09:35:50 am
Coach Mathis would be a good one I can think of since he was on coach Keedy's staff. I really don't think he would take it though if they offered it to him since he did waited around and wanted the job and passed him up several times from what I heard.

They wanted to offer it to him, but they didn't want to risk offending Coach Lewis.

minerjack

Sounds like someone has a problem pulling the trigger when there's a big decision to be made.  You can't worry about offending people when it comes to that kind of stuff.

Razorhummer

Quote from: minerjack2212 on May 14, 2015, 09:04:50 am
Sounds like someone has a problem pulling the trigger when there's a big decision to be made.  You can't worry about offending people when it comes to that kind of stuff.
Agreed

cuckoobird

They should have called me, I don't mind offending anyone

minerjack

Quote from: cuckoobird on May 14, 2015, 09:20:43 am
They should have called me, I don't mind offending anyone
For real.

HeberFan

Do the Hounds have a coach yet ?

The Ref

Quote from: HeberFan on May 14, 2015, 08:21:02 pm
Do the Hounds have a coach yet ?
No, they're still accepting applications

jameslogan938

There are rumblings that the list of applicants are good and that they might start interviews this week. I have also heard for some sources that a couple of guys that played at Newport football and/or baseball has applied but can't remember most of their names. Massey and Haynes had applied. Wonder if the kid that coaches at  osceola has applied. He coaches football down there I heard.

HeberFan

Who is leading spring ball ?

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: jameslogan938 on May 17, 2015, 11:54:16 am
There are rumblings that the list of applicants are good and that they might start interviews this week. I have also heard for some sources that a couple of guys that played at Newport football and/or baseball has applied but can't remember most of their names. Massey and Haynes had applied. Wonder if the kid that coaches at  osceola has applied. He coaches football down there I heard.
i remember when bama thought they had to hire someone with bama ties. didn't work out very well for them.

Coach Massey

Wade Massey has not applied for the Newport Head Coaching Position.

cuckoobird

Quote from: Coach Massey on May 18, 2015, 08:30:27 am
You're an imposter, Wade wouldn't like you using his name

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: cuckoobird on May 18, 2015, 09:25:57 am

Or maybe there's more than one Coach Massey.

Coach Massey

LOL, Ok.  I do coach with another Coach Massey, but his name isn't Wade.

The Ref

TBone70

May 20, 2015, 10:11:34 pm #48 Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 10:17:55 pm by TBone70
Quote from: SUGARTOWN on May 18, 2015, 10:07:50 am
Quote from: cuckoobird on May 18, 2015, 09:25:57 am

Or maybe there's more than one Coach Massey.
I knew a of another Coach Massey, Pat Massey. Well respected man. I was introduced to him by John Katrosh 35 years ago. Well respected man.

jameslogan938

Has anyone heard anything about the job? it is getting close to where a new coach has to come in and move quickly to get everything the way he wants it.  Wonder what is the hold up?

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas