• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Brookland Head Football Job

Started by OB11, April 19, 2015, 08:42:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HorseFeathers

Quote from: SB Bear on May 13, 2015, 12:41:23 pm
One coach with actual senior high head coach experience? And from Corning?

Is Chuck spear still the head guy at corning?

JohnBarleycorn

Of all the applicants, that's the best 3 they could find?

Donnie Jamon

Quote from: HF on May 13, 2015, 06:19:06 pm
Quote from: SB Bear on May 13, 2015, 12:41:23 pm
One coach with actual senior high head coach experience? And from Corning?

Is Chuck spear still the head guy at corning?

Yes

Donnie Jamon

I heard it is down to 5. They are still interviewing the rest of this week and will prob have someone Monday night.

Made

I know Speer and Hodges, who is the DC from GCT?

OB11

This seems to be taking a bit longer than other schools that have had openings this off season.  Especially with spring football getting underway. 

SB Bear

I'm a long time reader of FF but have never posted until the Brookland head football job came open. I live in the Brookland area and would really like to see them develop a good football program. I know one of the applicants, but I won't mention his name because I don't have his permission to use his name. He told me in his interview that he mapped out several years of senior high head coaching experience which included taking two different schools to the quarterfinals of the playoffs. He also told me that he told them exactly what he would do over the summer, exactly what his strength and conditioning program was, and what they could expect offensively and defensively. He told me he really wanted to build a solid program because he thought Brookland had great potential and that he was ready to hit the ground running. Then he told me he didn't get a call back for a second interview. I don't know who they have in mind for the job, but I'm pretty sure the finalists that I've seen on this site don't have all that experience. Just makes you wonder...

slowntheMUD

SB Bear,
You need more information about the candidates for the job. Those called back have multiple years of playoff experience and two of them have state championships. Your guy just didnt measure up.

SB Bear

Quote from: OliverBoy11 on May 13, 2015, 12:21:11 pm
Quote from: SB Bear on May 13, 2015, 11:09:30 am
Any idea who the finalists are?

From what I have been told...

MacArthur Junior High Head Coach
Corning Head Coach
Greene County Tech Defensive Coordinator

Again, I believe this is what I was told.  If anyone else knows for sure please don't hesitate to correct me.

If these are the guys and they have more experience than that, I stand corrected.

slowntheMUD

GCT DC has won a state championship in MO and Corning HC coached in Championship game

Donnie Jamon

May 15, 2015, 10:36:26 pm #60 Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 08:57:07 am by Donnie Jamon
Ha

Nomad1324

acapriano

According to Rivals.com:

Nathan Morgan (43-8) as head coach of the Caruthersville (MO) Tigers.
Chuck Speer (10-21) as head coach of the Corning Bobcats.

Both have multiple years of head coaching experience and have went deep into the playoffs. Neither of which matters if 1) there aren't enough athletes to compete or 2) the athletes that are there aren't tough enough to want to play the game. The question isn't which coach is "good enough." The question is can either of them win at Brookland. I've seen a lot of coaches, including the one we just had, win other places...but who can win here?

Whoever the admin hires, we need to support them and support our kids...win or lose...and understand that building a championship football program isn't an instant process. We will win, but we have to develop the right culture and mentality to win. Whichever coach it is that can help us do that is the one we need.

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: acapriano on May 17, 2015, 11:23:51 am
According to Rivals.com:

Both have multiple years of head coaching experience and have went deep into the playoffs.

Who was Speer the head coach of when he went "deep into the playoffs"? Obviously it wasn't at Corning...

acapriano

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on May 17, 2015, 12:00:25 pm
According to Rivals.com:

Both have multiple years of head coaching experience and have went deep into the playoffs.

Who was Speer the head coach of when he went "deep into the playoffs"? Obviously it wasn't at Corning...

Conway Christian according to Google. He was the athletic director their also...And, true, it obviously wasn't at Corning...and Corning has a lot of the same problems Brookland does. However, going back to what I said earlier, it doesn't matter who you bring in if you can't do those two things.

acapriano

According to Rivals.com:

The links, just in case you're researching like me...lol

http://www.semoball.com/forums/highschoolfootball/thread/8191
http://thecabin.net/news/local/2011-02-16/speer-leave-conway-christian-corning#.VVjTl5NVikp

Both are top-notch coaches. I'm very excited about both of them.

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: acapriano on May 17, 2015, 12:41:19 pm
According to Rivals.com:

Conway Christian according to Google. He was the athletic director their also...And, true, it obviously wasn't at Corning...and Corning has a lot of the same problems Brookland does. However, going back to what I said earlier, it doesn't matter who you bring in if you can't do those two things.

Ok, thanks for info. Looks like he won one playoff game at Conway Christian.

acapriano

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on May 17, 2015, 01:06:14 pm
Quote from: acapriano on May 17, 2015, 12:41:19 pm
According to Rivals.com:

Ok, thanks for info. Looks like he won one playoff game at Conway Christian.

Yes, after the Christian school state championship...Again...All about the Jimmys and Joes...lol I don't think there is a doubt who we "SHOULD" choose, but I would be happy with either one. Go Bearcats! I'm fired up!

HorseFeathers

Are we really qualifying a coach based off of what he did in an 8 man league?  I think there were less than a dozen teams in that league as well...

Nomad1324

Beaver Fever

So it's about like coaching in 6a!

SB Bear

Did we have an applicant that started a program from scratch and went "deep into the playoffs" in four years? Did we have an applicant that won more games in years two and three than any coach in that school's history going back to the mid-70's? Did we have an applicant that took a team from 1-9 the year before he arrived to the playoffs in year one and "deep into the playoffs" in year two? Everyone is right: It's more about the Jimmy's and Joe's than the X's and O's, but do we have a candidate that has taken over programs that have been down and turned them around quickly, because that's what this program is going to need. Struggle to get things started quickly here, lose the momentum of a new coach with new ideas, and I could see kids losing interest and the program going south. I hope the powers that be choose wisely.

Missco

I dont remember morgan winning a state title at Caruthersville.

Donnie Jamon

10-21 at Corning. Just WoW!  GJ Brookland committee

Nomad1324

Donnie Jamon

Elvis

WOW !!!!!!Looks like the community still has not accepted football. Going to still keep it a basketball school. Crazy hire, I'm sure there were more qualified than that

SB Bear

A coach that went deep into the playoffs in a Christian league that played 8-man football?

Donnie Jamon

Just what I expected. Gross isnn't gonna let anyone come in and shine or out due him. If you don't think that keep kidding yourself

fhc

Bobby Gross is an outstanding man and his entire career he has supported all programs and wanted to see all programs succeed!! Brookland is a better place because of him. Be thankful you have him because I know Wynne wishes he was still here.

bearcat119

Must. Not. Engage. In. Banter. With. Silly. People.

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: bearcat119 on May 20, 2015, 09:31:09 am
Must. Not. Engage. In. Banter. With. Silly. People.

Well then you probably shouldn't be on here. LOL

Nomad1324

First of all this is not sarcastic, secondly I hope all NEA Football Teams are successful.

That said. I wish Coach Speer the best of luck and hope for success for the Bearcats.

bearcat119

I'll break my own rule. The thought that Gross, as AD, would refuse to hire someone that would outshine him is ludicrous. I can't even begin to describe how absurd that is. For starters, he doesn't make the call--the superintendent does. Second, if it's a bad hire and Gross recommended him, then it's on Gross.

Say it's a bad hire, say they should've got someone else--fine.  Opinions are what they are, but what they ain't is fact.

Donnie Jamon

if you are the AD then you have a say so in the hire. Along with the Prin and Super. They all are to blame if you don't like the hire.

Nomad1324

Thought I'd post where I heard they're getting turf for the upcoming season.

Brookland0311

While I really liked Coach Mills, Coach Speer is an upgrade and I'm looking forward to this season.  He might not have been a "flashy" hire but he has built a program from scratch before and frankly Brookland is very close to "scratch" at this stage.

Also they have pulled up the grass and sprinklers I'll try to get a picture soon to post if anyone is interested.

OB11

The field was being leveled off today when I drove by there.  Shouldn't be too much longer until it's looking like a football field again.  Are they putting in an actual track?  Or will it still be gravel?

Brookland0311

Honestly I don't know about the track, but since we don't have a track team and I haven't heard of any plans on starting one it wouldn't surprise me to see it be left as gravel.  It also looked as if the field would be bracketed by the natural grass behind the endzones.  Or at least they have left those patches completely untouched so far  ???

tmycjy

Quote from: fhc on May 20, 2015, 06:53:01 am
Bobby Gross is an outstanding man and his entire career he has supported all programs and wanted to see all programs succeed!! Brookland is a better place because of him. Be thankful you have him because I know Wynne wishes he was still here.
In way we do in a way we don't the problem we have in Wynne is everyone in Wynne is a football fan and football will always be number 1 sports in Wynne

Brookland0311

Since I'm not verified I cant seem to post a picture.  But if you search Twitter for Coach Chuck Speer he just posted a picture of what the new field will look like.  They will have a real track but not this season.  Its broken down in phases with the field being phase 1.

NEA Razorback olfan

Brookland needs to invest in upgrades to it's Baseball field bad!!!

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas