• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stability in 4-A

Started by TIGER101, March 26, 2015, 09:31:11 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Superjack45

Quote from: TIGER101 on April 21, 2015, 11:05:24 am
Quote from: Superjack45 on April 21, 2015, 09:47:27 am
I think you all have valid points,about coaching and facilities. One vital point is that the kids have to buy into the program that the coach has implemented and also I do believe that a important part of having a strong program is a weight program. I have seen The Lumberjacks make strides through out the years in that department but I do think that Bo needs a more rigid program,especially when you only have a team like he had last year with only 34 players. But that's just my opinion.

IMO, Warren has never really looked like a "BIG" weight room type team.  In the past they have just put more athletes on the field than the other team, and so far it has worked for them.
Yes we have been blessed to have that T-101, but I can go back a couple of years when we had 4 or 5 D1 guys and Nashville came down and beat our tale at home in the play offs and Warrens D-line just wasn't strong enough to even slow down Nashville running back (Scoggins). That's why I say a strong weight program is a much needed piece of the puzzle. IJS

TIGER101

Is the weight program just not pushed by the coaching staff?

beach bum

I will never get kids who don't enjoy lifting weights or coaches who don't push weights hard.

gameoflife

Bum, all kids are not in it for the same things.  Believe it or not some just want to be on the team and part of the excitement, some just want to hang with their buddies.  The ones who want to be special, work for it.  Those have a totally different attitude. 

Superjack45

You are dead on game of life,and yes they are starting to push the weight program now at least for the last 2 to 3 years now we had a guy that graduated from Warren back in the 90's by the name of Lyle Henley, that helps with the weight program down in Alabama. He was before Bo's time but I feel that he could come down and put them on the right track as far as strength training. I think he played football at LA Tech,but any way that's why I said if the kids buy into the program than you will start to see success and just maybe win a Championship or 2. IJS

gameoflife

Stability involves having a certain attitude, what people sometimes refer to as a "culture".  People talk about changing the culture at a school district,  But, changing the culture is not so easy. I'm sure every coach wants a good program, a good culture.  To get that you have to have a community and an administration that are willing to let a coaching staff coach up the kids, demand discipline and commitment and not interfere.  I think at times that's hard to come by. Coaches and parents and and administration are not always on the same page.  May want the same thing but go about it in very different ways. Programs like Charleston for instance and Booneville, have a great program because they have all those pieces.  Good athletes, good coaches, and an administration and community that are behind the team and coaching staff and seem to be on the same page. In the 4A Warren and Nashville for sure has had that stability and Prairie Grove, Malvern.

Tigerdad2

That's why I have so much respect for Coach Abshier.
You named Warren, Nashville and Malvern along with PG.
PG's athletes are not even comparable to the three other schools listed. Also, I doubt those three schools have 4 coaches for the entire 7-12 program. He does the most with less !

AirWarren

Warren's enrollment went up from 325 to 346 in this cycle. Good to hear we aren't dropping at this point. May not be a lot of growth but it's some.

Romeo

I wonder if the opening of the chicken plants may have contributed to that growth?

AirWarren

Quote from: Romeo on April 27, 2015, 11:58:52 am
I wonder if the opening of the chicken plants may have contributed to that growth?
Quote from: Romeo on April 27, 2015, 11:58:52 am

That and we have some larger classes coming up I heard. Any corporation that hires that many people in a community is bound to see some growth in a district.

AirWarren

4A coaches Mark Courtney(Dumas) and Cortez Lee(PB dollarway) are in the running for head coach of NLR high school. I personally think that it will go to Van Paschal. They would be NUTS not to give the man a shot.

LJ06

Quote from: AirWarren on April 27, 2015, 06:48:39 pm
4A coaches Mark Courtney(Dumas) and Cortez Lee(PB dollarway) are in the running for head coach of NLR high school. I personally think that it will go to Van Paschal. They would be NUTS not to give the man a shot.

Oh Monticello....

AirWarren

750k$ field, 30k$ coach. Per oldman...

LJ06

Quote from: AirWarren on April 27, 2015, 09:43:42 pm
750k$ field, 30k$ coach. Per oldman...

Man speaks truth. Wise in his old age.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas