• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gentry is Open

Started by Brian G, December 21, 2014, 09:55:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

Quote from: Beaver Fever on February 18, 2015, 07:14:08 am
Another advantage the wingt/deadt/single wing/ is as older d coordinators get out of football the younger guys who very seldom see it struggle to defend it.  It seems like the younger ones "specialize" in stopping the spread
Very true.  I would rather defend the spread than any of those others...especially the single wing.

Quote from: purpleswag on February 18, 2015, 08:51:11 am
You argue that scheme doesn't matter yet you literally contradict yourself. Would these not be examples of schemes mattering?
It's a catch 22.  If scheme matters, then there is either
A) one superior offense and scheme for all personel or B) a "best" offense and scheme with each given personel. 

If A is true, then a coach would never change his scheme regardless of his players, and there are coaches that do that.

If B is true, then a coach would have to figure out what his players can do best and adjust his offense and scheme each year accordingly.

If scheme doesn't matter, then either we can run whatever offense or scheme we want at any time and the results will all be the same.  And that is obviously not true.

My point to chime in on this thread about scheme is that Coach Ernest will run the offense that he is most comfortable with, but I imagine he will fit his scheme to the players he has each year.  I just refuse to believe that you can only run a certain offense at a certain school.  And if I were HC at Prairie Grove (someone mentioned earlier), I would be running the spread, and I believe we would win! :)

purpleswag

Quote from: Coach DePriest, Harrison on February 18, 2015, 09:18:17 am
Quote from: Beaver Fever on February 18, 2015, 07:14:08 am
Another advantage the wingt/deadt/single wing/ is as older d coordinators get out of football the younger guys who very seldom see it struggle to defend it.  It seems like the younger ones "specialize" in stopping the spread
Very true.  I would rather defend the spread than any of those others...especially the single wing.

Quote from: purpleswag on February 18, 2015, 08:51:11 am
You argue that scheme doesn't matter yet you literally contradict yourself. Would these not be examples of schemes mattering?
It's a catch 22.  If scheme matters, then there is either
A) one superior offense and scheme for all personel or B) a "best" offense and scheme with each given personel. 

If A is true, then a coach would never change his scheme regardless of his players, and there are coaches that do that.

If B is true, then a coach would have to figure out what his players can do best and adjust his offense and scheme each year accordingly.

If scheme doesn't matter, then either we can run whatever offense or scheme we want at any time and the results will all be the same.  And that is obviously not true.

My point to chime in on this thread about scheme is that Coach Ernest will run the offense that he is most comfortable with, but I imagine he will fit his scheme to the players he has each year.  I just refuse to believe that you can only run a certain offense at a certain school.  And if I were HC at Prairie Grove (someone mentioned earlier), I would be running the spread, and I believe we would win! :)

I got what you were saying, however, saying that scheme doesn't matter is ridiculous. It very clearly does as you yourself argued.

Hoophawg

Hate it when coaches say "Im a spread guy".  So what if you got a 250pd stud fullback and good RB with big slow lineman and not many good WRs?  You still gonna run the spread?  That's about what a lot of these teams have in this conference.  The spread can look good but you have to have players.  Most annoying thing to me are these spread coaches who refuse to line up a QB under center.  It can be 4th and an inch and they still line up in shotgun. 

OLDSCHOOL82

Quote from: Hoophawg on February 18, 2015, 09:59:05 am
Hate it when coaches say "Im a spread guy".  So what if you got a 250pd stud fullback and good RB with big slow lineman and not many good WRs?  You still gonna run the spread?  That's about what a lot of these teams have in this conference.  The spread can look good but you have to have players.  Most annoying thing to me are these spread coaches who refuse to line up a QB under center.  It can be 4th and an inch and they still line up in shotgun.

I'm a Booneville guy so yes i love the ground and pound under center stuff.  Just because a coach runs the spread doesnt mean its gonna be a dink and dump or heave and hope style of play calling.  There are many things you can do for a power game both under center and in the "spread."

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

My 250 lb FB would be playing OL or NT. And yes, 4th and inches I'll be in Shotgun. As for not having receivers, I'll see if I can't get that stud RB in open space instead of handing it to him in against a 10-man box.

Tigerdad2

The Wing-T was at Harrison for years and Tice won a lot of games

Hoophawg

Quote from: Coach DePriest, Harrison on February 18, 2015, 10:17:48 am
My 250 lb FB would be playing OL or NT. And yes, 4th and inches I'll be in Shotgun. As for not having receivers, I'll see if I can't get that stud RB in open space instead of handing it to him in against a 10-man box.
another shotgun guy on 4th and inches lol.  10 man box?  I think I would pass against that genius

Hoophawg

why not OL and NT?  Are you also one of these coaches who don't wanna play players both ways?

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

Quote from: Hoophawg on February 18, 2015, 10:40:30 am
another shotgun guy on 4th and inches lol.  10 man box?  I think I would pass against that genius
Quote from: Hoophawg on February 18, 2015, 10:42:53 am
why not OL and NT?  Are you also one of these coaches who don't wanna play players both ways?
Correct, except in special circumstances.

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

Quote from: Tigerdad2 on February 18, 2015, 10:19:46 am
The Wing-T was at Harrison for years and Tice won a lot of games
Exactly.

Hoophawg

Quote from: Coach DePriest, Harrison on February 18, 2015, 11:22:28 am
Then you will never get as much out of your teams as you could.  Certain teams like Bennie and Fayetteville can play everyone one way.  Heck even Fayetteville plays players both ways.  Harrison you better get your best 11 on the field most of the game

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

I'm not going to take a snap under center without practicing it. How many snaps do you think I need to take in a week to make that work?

I was saying a 10 man box vs a wing T without a good receiver. Not a good situation to pass. I'd rather spread out my 4 mediocre receivers and move my good back all over the field.

esgibson00

It's always been my philosophy to play the best 11 guys on all three phases of the game. Now if you have a starter who plays offense/defense and special teams, and you have a guy who is a just a little bit less athletic or about the same as the starter then id put the guy not playing in as long as it doesn't hurt the overall strength of that particular phase.  Besides if you know you have to have guys go both ways then you prepare for that in the off season and it's not a problem.

phdefense

Quote from: Hoophawg on February 18, 2015, 11:26:49 am
Quote from: Coach DePriest, Harrison on February 18, 2015, 11:22:28 am
Then you will never get as much out of your teams as you could.  Certain teams like Bennie and Fayetteville can play everyone one way.  Heck even Fayetteville plays players both ways.  Harrison you better get your best 11 on the field most of the game
Times are changing the pace of the game is speeding up every year. Depth becomes more prominent every year as well. The fewer people you have riding the bench increases retention as well.

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

Quote from: Hoophawg on February 18, 2015, 11:26:49 amThen you will never get as much out of your teams as you could.  Certain teams like Bennie and Fayetteville can play everyone one way.  Heck even Fayetteville plays players both ways.  Harrison you better get your best 11 on the field most of the game
Difference of philosophy. I'll go 1's on 1's all week and develop players throughout the season and their careers. I'll make some sacrifices on both sides of the ball early, but development will pay off in the end. It's tough to ask a kid to run 90 plays on offense and another 60 or so on defense and expect them to go hard every play. There are only so many Drew Morgans of the world.

Hoophawg

Quote from: Coach DePriest, Harrison on February 18, 2015, 11:42:09 am
Quote from: Hoophawg on February 18, 2015, 11:26:49 amThen you will never get as much out of your teams as you could.  Certain teams like Bennie and Fayetteville can play everyone one way.  Heck even Fayetteville plays players both ways.  Harrison you better get your best 11 on the field most of the game
Difference of philosophy. I'll go 1's on 1's all week and develop players throughout the season and their careers. I'll make some sacrifices on both sides of the ball early, but development will pay off in the end. It's tough to ask a kid to run 90 plays on offense and another 60 or so on defense and expect them to go hard every play. There are only so many Drew Morgans of the world.
Kids get more development in the weightroom than they would playing on Friday nights when they arent ready

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

Again, just a difference of philosophy. You think you are right and I think I am. Both have been proven to work.

LCC

And a wing-t coach is going to run a buck sweep and have numbers on the edge and get his RB in open space there. If you're in the spread and you don't have receivers you will still get outnumbered in the box, and throwing it to your RB in space will only work so many times. Bad Receivers = more men than you can block and good luck completing a pass with bad receivers, and getting blitzed every play. Wasn't it PA that left Cabot's receivers uncovered before (Intentionally)?
I'm not saying either one of you guys are right or wrong, but I have seen the spread with average linemen and no receiving threats get blitzed every play. What is your answer? Screens? If you don't prove you can throw the ball in the spread you will get more than you can block.
10 in the box against wing-t or 8 against 2x2 isn't ideal, but I would take the wing-t concepts and move the box with my guards to get to the edge, or rely on misdirection, trapping, etc. Can you do it in the gun? You can, but I would rather hit the hole much faster with my backs moving downhill at the snap, than the QB catching a snap at 5 yards and my line have to hold blocks longer.

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

LCC - there you go. It's about being creative with the scheme you want to run. Finding ways to get creases in the run game and ways to get the ball out to open receivers in the pass game.  We ran buck sweep out of the spread with no fullback this year. We also ran the dart play, which I didn't even know what it actually was.  I just asked our offensive coaches if we could just pull our tackle on an iso type play, and they responded, "You mean like dart?"  Helped us run for 235 yards against Siloam.

And I'd love to see 8 (or even 7) in the box vs 2x2 by the way.

LCC

Coach DePriest...we are on the same page. I've seen guys run buck sweep and read the backside end. Just like zone read, but you're handing to the back on buck sweep if the end comes upfield. It's a creative way to change things. You would like to get 7-8 in the box against 2x2? I'm guessing you typically get a 5-6 man box to drop enough to defend the pass?

LCC

I would also like to tell you that I appreciate you admitting that you didn't know what the dart play actually was. Many coaches claim to know everything and have an answer for everything.

Hoophawg

I'm not anti spread or anything I just hate it when coaches have one offense they are gonna run no matter what talent they have.  It's just a dumb philosophy.  Kind of like a basketball coach playing man to man no matter what, I've seen that a lot.  The whole 4th and inches going from shotgun just totally blows my mind especially when a team has a QB stronger than most of the defense, which I see a lot in high school.  If Arkansas would have ran the spread this year with the players we have we would have won 3 games

Hoophawg

I noticed in maxpreps Gentry has hardly any sophomores.  Might not matter what offense they run.  Bear Bryant might not could turn this program around.

nuttinbuthogs

Interesting debate.  The fact that you recognize that you have to adapt your scheme to your talent is argument enough for certain types of offenses to fit certain types of players skills.  Some offenses are more suited to adaptation than others. Look at Gus's Wing T tendency.  Will say coaches should use what they know, but should always be learning.

Hoophawg

Quote from: nuttinbuthogs on February 18, 2015, 05:17:05 pm
Interesting debate.  The fact that you recognize that you have to adapt your scheme to your talent is argument enough for certain types of offenses to fit certain types of players skills.  Some offenses are more suited to adaptation than others. Look at Gus's Wing T tendency.  Will say coaches should use what they know, but should always be learning.
Yep and a lot of coaches refuse to do anything different.  But like my dad always said, these guys didnt get into coaching because they were smart...

Tigerdad2

Little was someone who refused to do anything differentl

beach bum

February 18, 2015, 07:30:36 pm #126 Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 07:37:18 pm by beach bum
Quote from: Tigerdad2 on February 18, 2015, 06:56:24 pm

Little is an example of what is wrong with our society.... don't win, be arrogant, treat your opposing coaches within the conference bad, yet get a higher paying position with less work in your district. What an example for the whole 25 players he had finish this last season at a 4A school ... yet he made the call on the new head coach! My gripe is not at the new head coach at Gentry... but Little had a sorry losing record at Gentry... 3 one and done playoff appearances in his tenure (two as a 5 seed and one as the 4 seed)... why was he making the decisions at Gentry?? And a promotion within the school? I can handle losing coaches if they are teaching kids something and bringing out numbers.... Someone give me a good answer why numbers kept dwindling at Gentry if it wasn't for the coach?

Hoophawg

Sounds ridiculous.  I don't know this Little guy

purpleswag

Quote from: LCC on February 18, 2015, 12:17:24 pm
And a wing-t coach is going to run a buck sweep and have numbers on the edge and get his RB in open space there. If you're in the spread and you don't have receivers you will still get outnumbered in the box, and throwing it to your RB in space will only work so many times. Bad Receivers = more men than you can block and good luck completing a pass with bad receivers, and getting blitzed every play. Wasn't it PA that left Cabot's receivers uncovered before (Intentionally)?
I'm not saying either one of you guys are right or wrong, but I have seen the spread with average linemen and no receiving threats get blitzed every play. What is your answer? Screens? If you don't prove you can throw the ball in the spread you will get more than you can block.
10 in the box against wing-t or 8 against 2x2 isn't ideal, but I would take the wing-t concepts and move the box with my guards to get to the edge, or rely on misdirection, trapping, etc. Can you do it in the gun? You can, but I would rather hit the hole much faster with my backs moving downhill at the snap, than the QB catching a snap at 5 yards and my line have to hold blocks longer.

I would argue that with these conditions any offense you ran would struggle. Especially if you have no receiving threats and they were able to load the box with your average lineman.

Come on........ ::)

beach bum

Quote from: Hoophawg on February 18, 2015, 07:40:02 pm
Sounds ridiculous.  I don't know this Little guy

Ask anyone that has been around him enough..... they will tell you the same thing unless they are getting a yearly review for their job from him now.

always88

Quote from: beach bum on February 18, 2015, 07:30:36 pm

Little is an example of what is wrong with our society.... don't win, be arrogant, treat your opposing coaches within the conference bad, yet get a higher paying position with less work in your district. What an example for the whole 25 players he had finish this last season at a 4A school ... yet he made the call on the new head coach! My gripe is not at the new head coach at Gentry... but Little had a sorry losing record at Gentry... 3 one and done playoff appearances in his tenure (two as a 5 seed and one as the 4 seed)... why was he making the decisions at Gentry?? And a promotion within the school? I can handle losing coaches if they are teaching kids something and bringing out numbers.... Someone give me a good answer why numbers kept dwindling at Gentry if it wasn't for the coach?

Spot on assessment of Little

beach bum

Quote from: always88 on February 18, 2015, 08:05:07 pm
Quote from: beach bum on February 18, 2015, 07:30:36 pm

Spot on assessment of Little

I know he stepped down because he saw they would probably get 2 wins at most next year... Decatur who they had to hand pick a win and then 1 out of Lincoln and Berryville.

LCC

Quote from: purpleswag on February 18, 2015, 07:46:02 pm

I would argue that with these conditions any offense you ran would struggle. Especially if you have no receiving threats and they were able to load the box with your average lineman.

I guess you've never watched Barton or McGehee? Barton has good backs, and played for a state championship with a 140lb tackle. They win with 160lb guards, and good backs. Do that in the spread and see the difference compared to their flexbone.

nuttinbuthogs

A team has to have some decent talent to play with.  Guys who are somewhere near the caliber of the teams they compete against.

LCC

Quote from: nuttinbuthogs on February 18, 2015, 08:59:31 pm
A team has to have some decent talent to play with.  Guys who are somewhere near the caliber of the teams they compete against.
This is where I believe scheme comes in to play the most. I have film of Barton using a 140lb left tackle, and small guards. They run option football so they don't have to drive guys off the ball. If he tried to run the wishbone (running ISO, power, counter) with those same guys, I have no doubt they would win less games. The talent has to fit what you do!

Wonderdog

+1 purpleswag!

polksalet

Gentry has no idea what they've hired and Nashville has no idea what they've lost. I just hope he's back in a couple years.

phdefense

Quote from: LCC on February 18, 2015, 12:55:24 pm
I would also like to tell you that I appreciate you admitting that you didn't know what the dart play actually was. Many coaches claim to know everything and have an answer for everything.
When are you going to get there?

phdefense

Quote from: LCC on February 18, 2015, 08:48:39 pm

I guess you've never watched Barton or McGehee? Barton has good backs, and played for a state championship with a 140lb tackle. They win with 160lb guards, and good backs. Do that in the spread and see the difference compared to their flexbone.
I guess you never saw Shiloh in he Malzahn years?

Tigerdad2

Quote from: polksalet on February 18, 2015, 11:21:55 pm
Gentry has no idea what they've hired and Nashville has no idea what they've lost. I just hope he's back in a couple years.
I agree with you! But he also has no clue that Little still runs the show

Hoophawg

Does it even matter who coaches.  Gentry looks awful with no athletes

LCC

Quote from: phdefense on February 19, 2015, 05:32:02 am
Quote from: LCC on February 18, 2015, 08:48:39 pm

I guess you never saw Shiloh in he Malzahn years?
I have, and your point is? Malzahn didn't have to use 140lb kids on the line.

LCC

Quote from: phdefense on February 19, 2015, 05:30:39 am
Quote from: LCC on February 18, 2015, 12:55:24 pm
When are you going to get there?
I will admit when I don't know what a play is. However, I also know when I've been outsmarted by the best around. You win buddy. I give up. Congrats.

IPROFB

Congratulations to the new head football coach at Gentry. You guys have a really nice indoor practice facility. Hopefully, he can get some kids out and improve their numbers between now and August.

Hoophawg

Quote from: IPROFB on February 19, 2015, 09:09:54 am
Congratulations to the new head football coach at Gentry. You guys have a really nice indoor practice facility. Hopefully, he can get some kids out and improve their numbers between now and August.
wait a minute, Gentry has an indoor practice facility?

IPROFB

I think this is the second year they've been in it. Really nice!

nuttinbuthogs

So I don't think I ever saw a list of who applied or who was interviewed for this position.  Did I miss it or was this just a well kept secret?  Anybody got any names?

purpleswag

Quote from: LCC on February 18, 2015, 10:13:40 pm
This is where I believe scheme comes in to play the most. I have film of Barton using a 140lb left tackle, and small guards. They run option football so they don't have to drive guys off the ball. If he tried to run the wishbone (running ISO, power, counter) with those same guys, I have no doubt they would win less games. The talent has to fit what you do!

I can agree that talent has to fit what you do, however, if Barton didn't have any kind of a passing game teams would load up and stop the option.

You have to have talent to make anything work bud

LCC

Quote from: purpleswag on February 20, 2015, 07:47:48 am

I can agree that talent has to fit what you do, however, if Barton didn't have any kind of a passing game teams would load up and stop the option.

I never said Barton doesn't have talent. I can promise you though, their talent is NOT in the offensive line most years. They have good skill players in their A and B backs. Their wide-outs are not going to get many balls a game. However, with their scheme they can use average linemen to be successful because they don't have to block 2 down linemen on the playside, or the backside end on triple option plays. Barton gets 8-9 in the box and can still run the ball. I agree that they have talent, but if they were in the spread I don't believe they would be AS successful due to the scheme. Just my opinion.

purpleswag

Quote from: LCC on February 20, 2015, 08:35:54 am
Quote from: purpleswag on February 20, 2015, 07:47:48 am

I never said Barton doesn't have talent. I can promise you though, their talent is NOT in the offensive line most years. They have good skill players in their A and B backs. Their wide-outs are not going to get many balls a game. However, with their scheme they can use average linemen to be successful because they don't have to block 2 down linemen on the playside, or the backside end on triple option plays. Barton gets 8-9 in the box and can still run the ball. I agree that they have talent, but if they were in the spread I don't believe they would be AS successful due to the scheme. Just my opinion.

I get it. You were saying that the spread with average lineman AND no receivers wouldn't be successful. I was saying that with average lineman AND no receiving threat then any offense would struggle.

Barton doesn't have to pass a lot to be successful but there has to be the threat

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas