• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas Razorback Football 2018 Thread

Started by bulldoghistorian, September 01, 2018, 03:08:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gameoflife

The shame is that fans help create the hype about a player in high school, then if they get to college and aren't what they thought, they can jump ship.  It is unfortunately part of how athletics works out. 

bdubyab60

No matter how much fanfare a player receives the coaching staff should be the judge of whether or not the player is worthy of it.

AirWarren

Quote from: bdubyab60 on September 18, 2018, 12:21:51 pm
No matter how much fanfare a player receives the coaching staff should be the judge of whether or not the player is worthy of it.

It just amazes me when I see teams like North Texas, Texas Tech etc have these quarterbacks that can sling it all over the place. And an SEC school like us can't land one of those to save our life.

gameoflife

Quote from: bdubyab60 on September 18, 2018, 12:21:51 pm

I agree, but when you cannot land a big time passing QB, I guess you just take what is left.  Plus, Arkansas fans are pretty pushy when it comes to recruiting Arkansas kids.  I think sometimes a little too much so. 

AirWarren

Quote from: gameoflife on September 18, 2018, 12:41:46 pm
I agree, but when you cannot land a big time passing QB, I guess you just take what is left.  Plus, Arkansas fans are pretty pushy when it comes to recruiting Arkansas kids.  I think sometimes a little too much so. 

There are currently two recent kids who should have never been let go out of this state.

1. Damarea Crockett- We took Whaley instead....sigh.
2. Tre Norwood

gameoflife

I don't know if we missed on those two or they didn't want any part of UA.  At any rate every school misses a few or thinks someone is a better fit once in a while.  The bigger problem is we have either missed or misjudged a lot more than just two picks.

AirWarren

Quote from: gameoflife on September 18, 2018, 12:52:26 pm
I don't know if we missed on those two or they didn't want any part of UA.  At any rate every school misses a few or thinks someone is a better fit once in a while.  The bigger problem is we have either missed or misjudged a lot more than just two picks.

It was brought up on the radio the other day that both the family and coach of Tre Norwood are still perturbed that the University did not offer him. And don't even bring it up to his high school coach because he is still hacked about it.

Crockett was very interested in Arkansas. He wanted to come to Arkansas and stay in state. But the previous staff wanted no part of him. Now....he is a big time playmaker in the big 12 turned SEC team that beats us like a yard dog.

bleudog

Quote from: AirWarren on September 18, 2018, 12:29:56 pm
It just amazes me when I see teams like North Texas, Texas Tech etc have these quarterbacks that can sling it all over the place. And an SEC school like us can't land one of those to save our life.

Mason Fine played his high school ball about 65 miles from Fayetteville.

Of course he's under 6 feet and less than 200 pounds so he didn't meet the SEC metric.

AirWarren

AirWarren

Rewatching the game.

Cole Kelley can't hardly stand up......already throwing horrible......dude has a bummed leg.......flea flicker......pick.

Possibly the dumbest playcall I have ever seen.

*****This may have been discussed. I stopped watching the game Saturday at half........

JacketFan

September 18, 2018, 04:34:28 pm #110 Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 04:37:02 pm by JacketFan
Quote from: AirWarren on September 18, 2018, 02:35:49 pm
Rewatching the game.

Cole Kelley can't hardly stand up......already throwing horrible......dude has a bummed leg.......flea flicker......pick.

Possibly the dumbest playcall I have ever seen.

Not sure if it had anything to do with it, but he has a bullet lodged in one of his legs from a very tragic incident that happened when he was 15 yrs old.

*****This may have been discussed. I stopped watching the game Saturday at half........

bdubyab60

Quote from: gameoflife on September 18, 2018, 12:41:46 pm
I understand fans wanting the hometown boys. I really want Storey to have that magic moment hometown fans dream of. Every QB on the roster was highly rated. However it seems they were completely neglected during their time here. I don't know but it really looks like not much practice time was spent on them to develop them. Then you throw in system change and bang bad play. Not to mention the back and forth these first 3 games.

We do need to make sure that these in state guys are good and a good fit. Gonna get some and they are gonna be busts just like any other state.

We have seen a decent sampling of CK and it just doesn't look like he has the decision making ability. Storey hasn't been accurate and seems to shrink in big moments. I had hoped that big quarter in game one was a spark like BA had in the Auburn game. Would have had a hard time finding a hotter QB in the country after that game.

At the end of the day though we need to get the best players we can get. Whether in state or from out. Only way to turn this thing around

gameoflife

Yes! The best we can get but we must find a way to get our share of the best out there.   Teams in football with talent are the ones that win, this is even more true in college because of the recruiting. 

bigworm

Quote from: AirWarren on September 18, 2018, 12:29:56 pm

Oh yea. There are fire ball gun slingers scattered all over. But the powers that be say they have to be 6'4" or whatever. I saw a 5'10" kid beat auburn last year and a 5'9" kid destroy us saturday. A winner is a winner plain and simple.

Hoghead2

Quote from: Lumberjackfan1978 on September 16, 2018, 08:04:23 pm
In my 50s. This is bad one of the worst I've seen

I'm 60, unfortunately this is bottom of the barrel for Hog football. The worst loss in the 70's was to Tulsa, 80's were no major upsets, 90's Citidal and 2 loses to Memphis.  2000 until now only USC and Bama put some major beat downs on us. The program is on fire !!!

bdubyab60

Quote from: bigworm on September 18, 2018, 11:46:51 pm
Oh yea. There are fire ball gun slingers scattered all over. But the powers that be say they have to be 6'4" or whatever. I saw a 5'10" kid beat auburn last year and a 5'9" kid destroy us saturday. A winner is a winner plain and simple.
Yep. And the thing is you don't have to have an NFL guy to win at this level. Just good to great college players.

AirWarren

Quote from: bdubyab60 on September 19, 2018, 06:26:43 am
Yep. And the thing is you don’t have to have an NFL guy to win at this level. Just good to great college players.

Give me a Sonny Cumbie, Graham Harrell, Kliff Kingsbury, Timmy Chang, etc any day of the week.

AirWarren

Chevin Calloway was not at practice again yesterday. Otis Kirk siting, "personal reasons".

Also, De'Vion Warren was not spotted anywhere at practice either.

Working Froholdt at guard again. Looks like they are shaking up the OLINE again.

AirWarren

Just saw the Maleek Williams run. Why on earth is he not playing? He hit that hole hard and he looks like a running back in the SEC. His size....his arms....speed. I say give him the start Saturday. See what he can do.

Romeo

Quote from: AirWarren on September 19, 2018, 07:40:03 am
Give me a Sonny Cumbie, Graham Harrell, Kliff Kingsbury, Timmy Chang, etc any day of the week.

I can do without Timmy Chang. The definition of a system quarterback. He broke the passing record but had 80 interceptions in his career.

AirWarren

Quote from: Romeo on September 19, 2018, 08:41:14 am
I can do without Timmy Chang. The definition of a system quarterback. He broke the passing record but had 80 interceptions in his career.

Timmy Chang or Cole kelley?

Lol.

gameoflife

Maleek Williams?  Who was playing defense when he made that run?  Not saying he isn't playable but I wonder if the reserves were in. I say play in in the rotation and lets see if he is the guy.

bdubyab60

beach bum

Ty Storey so far is making some really good decisions and with some pressure on him too..... He is not a speedster back there by any means, but he has just enough athleticism to move around to make a better decision. If he is the QB moving forward at least there is a glimmer of hope to beat Tulsa and a woeful Ole Miss. Plus, throw in Vandy as Mizzou as dreamer wins. He at least looks like he knows what he is doing out there. And my word can this new center not snap at all?? Sheesh he is awful.

AirWarren

Quote from: beach bum on September 22, 2018, 07:30:40 pm
Ty Storey so far is making some really good decisions and with some pressure on him too..... He is not a speedster back there by any means, but he has just enough athleticism to move around to make a better decision. If he is the QB moving forward at least there is a glimmer of hope to beat Tulsa and a woeful Ole Miss. Plus, throw in Vandy as Mizzou as dreamer wins. He at least looks like he knows what he is doing out there. And my word can this new center not snap at all?? Sheesh he is awful.

We just need a couple weapons offensively.

Why can't the try Maleek Williams at RB?

sportsguy80

If our offense was as productive as the defense we could possibly have a lead...

AirWarren

bdubyab60

Special teams coach should be fired at halftime. That fake punt last week. Then two punts almost blocked and then this standing around when the ball is live has got to stop.

Offense and special teams have wasted a great effort from the defense

sportsguy80

Special teams aren't helping either. You would think after last week that would be the area we would excel at this game.

sportsguy80

Quote from: bdubyab60 on September 22, 2018, 08:05:08 pm
Special teams coach should be fired at halftime. That fake punt last week. Then two punts almost blocked and then this standing around when the ball is live has got to stop.

Offense and special teams have wasted a great effort from the defense
Right...very disappointing

AirWarren

Quote from: sportsguy80 on September 22, 2018, 08:06:36 pm
Special teams aren't helping either. You would think after last week that would be the area we would excel at this game.

Special teams are horrid.

Our offensive play calling is awful. Throw into double coverage for a pick. Go toward the middle and try a FG at least.

No impressed with Batman's Robin....aka Craddock.

bdubyab60

And I mean he should be fore immediately. There is no excuse for our special teams play.

Our defense won't hold up to our ineptitude to move the football in a consistent basis.

Penalties are killing us and we got lucky on the call before half. But I bet it's made up you just watch

sportsguy80

Yeah they get the ball back after halftime. Wouldn't be surprised if they take some shots down field or a gadget play.

AirWarren

Quote from: sportsguy80 on September 22, 2018, 08:19:40 pm
Yeah they get the ball back after halftime. Wouldn't be surprised if they take some shots down field or a gadget play.

Gus is about to open it up.

Ctucker

AirWarren

Quote from: Ctucker on September 22, 2018, 08:38:00 pm
Can we at least try another QB

Why? He is playing ok. Our dang WR's aren't worth a crap.

Also, Auburn is full of a bunch of dirty SOB's.

AirWarren

sportsguy80

bdubyab60

Leading in every statistical category and losing 24-3. Because our offense and special teams are killing us.

Special teams coach needs to go. Like now

Romeo

There's only so much Ty Storey can do. Receivers aren't getting open and he's facing defensive pressure on almost every play. He's doing a terrific job handling the defensive pressure.

Ctucker

Quote from: AirWarren on September 22, 2018, 08:46:38 pm
Why? He is playing ok. Our dang WR's aren't worth a crap.

Also, Auburn is full of a bunch of dirty SOB's.
[/quote. I don't know! I'm just sick of watching these guys!

Ctucker

What part of that did they think would work! Bring Kelly in to run right up middle again we almost fooled them

bdubyab60

Only thing Story has really messed up on is throw before half. Have to block better period. Receivers have to work and win some battles

Romeo

Quote from: AirWarren on September 22, 2018, 08:51:20 pm
Please fire the special teams coach.

There isn't a special teams coach to fire. At least not a permanently assigned position to run special teams.

bdubyab60

Quote from: Romeo on September 22, 2018, 09:10:27 pm
There isn't a special teams coach to fire. At least not a permanently assigned position to run special teams.
Well we need one

AirWarren

Quote from: Romeo on September 22, 2018, 09:10:27 pm

You can tell.

AirWarren

Quote from: Romeo on September 22, 2018, 08:58:44 pm
There's only so much Ty Storey can do. Receivers aren't getting open and he's facing defensive pressure on almost every play. He's doing a terrific job handling the defensive pressure.

Bingo.

Our offensive line is garbage. Period.

AirWarren

HorseFeathers

Fix the Oline and the Special teams....and we've got a competent maybe competitive team....and we've got a Quality Control Special teams coach...not sure what that means but if special teams is all he coaches he may need a new job... soon

bdubyab60

Since when is there any offensive blocking scheme to quadruple block the nose tackle. Anyone please answer?

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas