• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Where would you live?

Started by Kazimierz, April 25, 2014, 05:41:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Kazimierz

Just forget about life.... no salary worries, no retirement worries...

Where would you live?

If it weren't for all of the Californians... I'd live in Cali. Beach one direction, mountains the other direction. 

Also maybe Montana, I hear it's nice.

ricepig

Quote from: Kazimierz on April 25, 2014, 05:41:29 pm
Just forget about life.... no salary worries, no retirement worries...

Where would you live?

If it weren't for all of the Californians... I'd live in Cali. Beach one direction, mountains the other direction. 

Also maybe Montana, I hear it's nice.

Yeah, throw out all the people in California and it'd be ideal. Being a rice farmer I always thought it would be nice to farm north of Sacramento and be an 1 1/2 from Tahoe and San Francisco.

Breitontime

Throw out the people...Colombia.

Brian G

Since I can't build a location from scratch, I simply will take my current abode.

Uncle Ivan

Gulf Coast if stateside, New Zealand if I had to do a bug-out in a SHTF situation.

Quote from: ricepig on April 25, 2014, 05:56:43 pm
Being a rice farmer I always thought it would be nice to farm north of Sacramento

They farm something a tad different from rice in that area.

Lionheart88

Somewhere tropical, but away from major risk of natural disaster (out of fault zones, flood zones, tornado alleys, hurricane-plagued areas, etc).  Enough precipitation that it's not a desert, but not a rainforest either.  Maybe subsaharan Africa somewhere, or Brazil?  I like Arkansas, but I wouldn't mind it being a bit warmer in the winter, or maybe of it was just 70-80 all year round like Hawai'i.

ricepig

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on April 25, 2014, 08:58:54 pm
Gulf Coast if stateside, New Zealand if I had to do a bug-out in a SHTF situation.

Quote from: ricepig on April 25, 2014, 05:56:43 pm
Being a rice farmer I always thought it would be nice to farm north of Sacramento

They farm something a tad different from rice in that area.

I guess you've never been to Sutter or Yuba City.

AirWarren

Virginia. Has all four seasons. Mountains and the ocean.

Baitshop

Inner banks area of North Carolina...

The Hill country north of Austin Texas....

Napa Valley in northern California...

cuckoobird

Take out the Mosquitoes and it would be right here in Arkansas county. You can't ask for a better place for hunting and fishing.

True Believer

I love to travel but Arkansas is home.  I would pick Greers Ferry Lake area if I didn't have to work.

And who knows.  I bet if I really wanted I could find a job up around there but I love my job here and have a wonderful boss. 

sevenof400

Quote from: Baitshop on April 26, 2014, 12:02:31 am

Since retirement isn't that far off, I agree with Baitshop on this.   The Carolinas are calling my name.

Indiana Jones

Wyoming- lacks people, insane summer heat is rare

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: ricepig on April 25, 2014, 09:53:19 pm

I guess you've never been to Sutter or Yuba City.

Correct, but I have been to Alma, and they grow the same thing there.

Texarkana_Piggie

Seaside or Santa Rosa beach Florida.

AirWarren

Quote from: sevenof400 on April 26, 2014, 12:53:14 pm

Since retirement isn't that far off, I agree with Baitshop on this.   The Carolinas are calling my name.

Virginia, Carolina's......yup. Sounds awesome to me.

Texarkana_Piggie

I love the outer banks too.

Lionheart88

sevenof400

Quote from: Lionheart88 on April 26, 2014, 09:00:45 pm
Until the hurricane hits.

For a variety of reasons, the Carolinas are seldom hit with the full force of hurricanes.  That's not to say they don't get some taste of hurricanes but as coast areas go, it probably as safe (if not safer) than any other coastal area. 

Baitshop

April 26, 2014, 10:43:57 pm #19 Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 10:46:55 pm by Baitshop

seven, I am surprised that you are close to retirement age...I had you pegged as one of the younger guys around here...congrats...

I, too, am a mere 3 years away from selling all of the businesses and taking down my shingle...don't think that I will be moving any where though...just do a bunch of traveling

Valleysports

I've been to a lot of places - snow birding is the only option.  If I could close the gates on Yellowstone Park and live by the Yellowstone River, for 6 months per year, I would build my summer home there.  As for the threat of Hot Lava bursting from under me - I'd soak in it's Hot Springs until then.  I'm not sure about a winter home - Fiji, Tahiti?  Hold it - I can't give up Duck Hunting! 

BillyJack™

April 27, 2014, 07:04:35 am #21 Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 07:07:50 am by BillyJack™
Bait and seven, you might like our little piece of heaven in the Carolinas. All my brothers still living on 232 acres in upper state SC between Spartanburg and Greenville. Great Smoky Mountains 35 miles to the north and 235 miles east to Myrtle Beach.

My perfect place to live is a little island just south of South Korea called Cheju-do. Comparable to Hawaii, not as populated.

AirWarren

ricepig

Quote from: Texarkana_Piggie on April 26, 2014, 08:18:01 pm

I should've bought down there 20 years ago, I've been paying for two weeks at Seaside every since then.

Kazimierz

Quote from: ricepig on April 27, 2014, 11:39:27 am

I should've bought down there 20 years ago, I've been paying for two weeks at Seaside every since then.

Our family as well. We stay down there between Xmas and new year.

ricepig

Quote from: Kazimierz on April 27, 2014, 11:44:11 am
Quote from: ricepig on April 27, 2014, 11:39:27 am

Our family as well. We stay down there between Xmas and new year.

Ours depended on the kids ages, it was late May until we had some playing summer baseball, then it was whenever that ended. It never fit my schedule anyway as a farmer, usually a long weekend was all I ever got or wanted, I prefer snow skiing.

Mr_Deb

sevenof400

Quote from: Baitshop on April 26, 2014, 10:43:57 pm

seven, I am surprised that you are close to retirement age...I had you pegged as one of the younger guys around here...congrats...

I, too, am a mere 3 years away from selling all of the businesses and taking down my shingle...don't think that I will be moving any where though...just do a bunch of traveling

Appearances can be deceiving I guess, Baitshop.  Still got about a decade to go but I think about it more it seems with each passing day.  It is amazing to me that as I progress through this thing called life how priorities are reshaped and applied differently as key points draw near. 

After marriage and all that surrounds one's family, where, when and how to retire might be the hardest set of decisions there are.  A lot of uncertainty for sure but I am looking forward to it.  Hope your retirement turns out to be all you want from it, Bait!

Texarkana_Piggie

i can retire from teaching after one more year.  i'm thinking i'm gonna go.  i will only be 51 then though, so i will have to find a part time something so get me by until 65

AirWarren

My mom is retiring this year!

beach bum

Beach bums are right at home in So Cal....

Valleysports

Quote from: beach bum on April 27, 2014, 07:23:02 pm
Beach bums are right at home in So Cal....

I figured you out from your last post Beach Bum.  And I agree about Latina women.

Jack1990

Quote from: AirWarren on April 27, 2014, 07:22:26 pm
And she is definitely going to be missed.

AirWarren

Quote from: Jack1990 on April 28, 2014, 07:41:05 am

Thank you. She has put a lot of years in in that district. Graduate of warren schools and retiring from warren schools. That's love there. Thanks for the kind words. Gonna be weird knowing mom is not at school anymore!

Hail to the Warren high!

Mr_Deb

Key Largo, Florida Keys winters Daphne, Alabama summers + vegas weekend getaways! ;)

Valleysports

AirWarren

Lions84

Quote from: AirWarren on April 28, 2014, 07:43:32 am
Quote from: Jack1990 on April 28, 2014, 07:41:05 am

Thank you. She has put a lot of years in in that district. Graduate of warren schools and retiring from warren schools. That's love there. Thanks for the kind words. Gonna be weird knowing mom is not at school anymore!

Hail to the Warren high!
Me and the Wife are 10 years out and I trying to set up moving closer to the Gulf Coast. Props to your mom on her time of service to Warren High.

AirWarren

Thanks. I know it's bittersweet for her.

Mr_Deb

Quote from: Valleysports on April 29, 2014, 12:22:06 am
Alabama Summers?  :o

Daphne is on the coast... plenty of water to keep cool, late night breeze making cooler nights... I think it hardly ever gets over 90 in Daphne that's not too hot for me.... just because you and Sterling don't like hot weather doesn't mean everybody agrees :P

Lions84

Since there is taxes to consider I am looking at TX LA or Miss Gulf coast about a hour to 2 north of the water.

Valleysports

Quote from: devil_kid on April 29, 2014, 11:23:02 pm

Daphne is on the coast... plenty of water to keep cool, late night breeze making cooler nights... I think it hardly ever gets over 90 in Daphne that's not too hot for me.... just because you and Sterling don't like hot weather doesn't mean everybody agrees :P

Sterling?  Why do you assume I don't like hot weather?  100-110 F, right here in Arkansas, is great.  The more humidity the better.  I chose to move to Arkansas, from Alaska, after looking at all these places.  Wife and I are currently thinking about picking up a winter home, on the gulf, though.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Valleysports on April 30, 2014, 12:15:00 pm
Quote from: devil_kid on April 29, 2014, 11:23:02 pm

Sterling?  Why do you assume I don't like hot weather?  100-110 F, right here in Arkansas, is great.  The more humidity the better.  I chose to move to Arkansas, from Alaska, after looking at all these places.  Wife and I are currently thinking about picking up a winter home, on the gulf, though.

You...Like...Humidity??

cuckoobird

Its better than feeling like a blow dryer blowing in your face in those dry climates like west texas south oklahoma and new mexico. I can attest to that

HorseFeathers

Quote from: cuckoobird on April 30, 2014, 12:32:13 pm
Its better than feeling like a blow dryer blowing in your face in those dry climates like west texas south oklahoma and new mexico. I can attest to that

Guess the couple of times I've visited my uncle in West Texas was abnormal weather for them :D...I liked the dry air there. Of course I did see it rain out there, and I know that's abnormal weather for them lately..

cuckoobird

Ive never been more miserable in my life than summer in those areas

HorseFeathers

Quote from: cuckoobird on April 30, 2014, 01:01:59 pm
Ive never been more miserable in my life than summer in those areas

I spent a week out there in August a couple of years ago...I never once thought about the heat...there was always a breeze blowing, And it rained that week ! My wife hates it out there though...because of how flat the land is...

Breitontime

Much prefer dry heat to humidity stick to everything you touch heat.

Kazimierz

Quote from: Breitontime on April 30, 2014, 02:29:22 pm

You're a Florida guy now right? So would you prefer Arizona to Tampa.

cuckoobird

Quote from: Kazimierz on April 30, 2014, 02:41:52 pm
Quote from: Breitontime on April 30, 2014, 02:29:22 pm

You're a Florida guy now right? So would you prefer Arizona to Tampa.
guess not or he'd live there....

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas