• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wear Your Green

Started by True Believer, March 17, 2014, 05:57:45 am

Previous topic - Next topic

True Believer

or get pinched.  My family was obsessed with wearing green on St. Patrick's Day.  I never got pinched and I have always worn green.

Happy St. Patrick's Day.

Remember the original reason the Irish celebrated and not the present day celebrations. 

Yes Irish drink and Irish fight.   

And we don't get on the news to complain about the sterotype that the media has put upon us like other races. 

The Irish helped build this nation.    I am an American first.  But my ancestors helped build roads, bridges, buildings, railways.  They were cops and firefighters. And we did not stand there with crying about it.  Irish were an oppressed people fleeing their homeland to come to America to build a better life for their famiilies.  They found more poverty.  More oppression.  But I know from my family, they did not give up. 

So a shout out to all the Irish past and present! 

Éirinn go Brách

DogsWin7

March 17, 2014, 08:50:31 am #1 Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 08:53:21 am by DiehardFBfan
Happy Patricks Day.    Have a good one!

ricepig

Hopefully, come September, we Scots will have our own country.

Breitontime

$6 Irish Car Bombs, we shall meet at High Noon.

Kazimierz

Quote from: ricepig on March 17, 2014, 10:25:02 am

Are you Scots-Irish (Ulster Scot) or do you trace your ancestry to Scotland proper?

I ask because we were filling in the old family tree on one side of the family and for years that side of the family had swore that they were "Irish" but, turns out they were Ulster Scots.  As you know, Ulster Scots were from the Lowlands and Northern England and moved to Ulster County Ireland and part of a colonization effort of King James to remove the Irish from N. Ireland. Lots of Scots-Irish left and moved to the Southern US/Appalachia. 

Shows you how much was lost over the years. No Ulster Scot would have claimed to be Irish, that's for sure.

ricepig

Quote from: Kazimierz on March 17, 2014, 11:00:03 am
Quote from: ricepig on March 17, 2014, 10:25:02 am

Are you Scots-Irish (Ulster Scot) or do you trace your ancestry to Scotland proper?

I ask because we were filling in the old family tree on one side of the family and for years that side of the family had swore that they were "Irish" but, turns out they were Ulster Scots.  As you know, Ulster Scots were from the Lowlands and Northern England and moved to Ulster County Ireland and part of a colonization effort of King James to remove the Irish from N. Ireland. Lots of Scots-Irish left and moved to the Southern US/Appalachia. 

Shows you how much was lost over the years. No Ulster Scot would have claimed to be Irish, that's for sure.

Great question, I know our early settlers were Presbyterians from Scotland, but I haven't delved into it to far. Mom knows the history back to the Ice Age, haha, I'll ask her.

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: True Believer on March 17, 2014, 05:57:45 am

And we don't get on the news to complain about the stereotype that the media has put upon us like other races. 

People of Irish descent don't have to wear green, in my book.  "You can't pinch an Irishman!"

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: Kazimierz on March 17, 2014, 11:00:03 am
Lots of Scots-Irish left and moved to the Southern US/Appalachia. 

There are many of us whose ancestors that applies to.

However, some of those Ulster Scots did marry full-blooded Irish over here in the states. 

Maynard G Krebs

A favorite line from Blazing Saddles:   We'll take the n and c..................BUT WE DON'T WANT THE IRISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ricepig

Quote from: Maynard G Krebs on March 17, 2014, 05:39:17 pm
A favorite line from Blazing Saddles:   We'll take the n and c..................BUT WE DON'T WANT THE IRISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One of the all time great classics.

True Believer

Don't remember celebrating the Scots for anything over here. 

Just a stone throw from the bloody British.  I'll keep the island anyday. 

Kazimierz

I'm fond of Eire as well.  But, in the name of our ancestors, the scots are British. As are the Welsh and Cornish. You probably mean English. And, despite being part of the Calloway family that came over in the 1630s, I'll admit that the English were giant turds for a long time.

Breitontime

So, this got all serious.

On another note, we killed two car bombs per hour from 12p to 12a. Mix in some green beers, and it was a stupendous day.

Love these ethnic holidays.

True Believer

No.  I meant British.   Because of exactly what you said above.  But I did mean that Scotland is on the same isle as England also.

The Irish are one and in their own.  I wish I could post a picture on here of my great grandfather, grandfather and dad in the 1920's.   A more Irish bunch I could not imagine.

I haven't gotten far far into my genealogy but I plan to dig a little more.  Just praying that I don't find any Scottish blood.  I have been told we do.  But no proof as of yet. 

True Believer

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on March 17, 2014, 04:21:33 pm
Quote from: True Believer on March 17, 2014, 05:57:45 am

And we don't get on the news to complain about the stereotype that the media has put upon us like other races. 

People of Irish descent don't have to wear green, in my book.  "You can't pinch an Irishman!"

If you do, it's a sock to the jaw.  :)

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: True Believer on March 18, 2014, 06:11:34 amJust praying that I don't find any Scottish blood.

Nothing wrong with it.

True Believer

I guess not.  I had a person in my life that use to just bash the Irish so badly.  She thought she was Scottish.   Karma happened because she started her genealogy and guess what.  LOL.  she was Irish. 

I had to laugh.  So that will probably be my fate too.  :)  Karma is only funny when it happens to the other person.  :)

Lions84

Wore my green Sunday and Monday. And I too old to be pinching anyone anymore.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas