• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Talk to the Elders while you can!

Started by Valleysports, February 16, 2014, 09:23:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Valleysports

February 16, 2014, 09:23:46 pm Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 05:42:25 am by Valleysports
 ;)

AirWarren

Would kill to hear my papa's stories over and over again. He had some dandies.

I take everything my dad says to me like a sponge with water. The man has had quite the journey and my God I will miss him one day.

cuckoobird

Quote from: Valleysports on February 16, 2014, 09:23:46 pm
So mom was sitting at our Sunday Family Dinner today and one thing lead to another.  Apparently I came close to being a Hog Fan.  When she was in 9Th grade, the family packed and got ready to move to Fayetteville, from Texarkana.  But Pappaw changed his mind at the last minute.  Pappaw was contracted to build University Buildings for some years.  I remember visiting he and Mammaw in a Little Rock Apartment as a kid.  He build a Skaggs Albertson there.  Oh I remember what started the conversation - we were talking about how far it is to travel to El Dorado for sports.  Mom pops out "oh I used to live there"  what?  Yep and you did too.  Your dad was a pastor there, when you were a baby.  And Genoa and Faulk also.  Maybe that has something to do with my fascination with the Faulk Monster.  Well I need to talk to my Pappaw, Mammaw, and Dad, about this, but they're gone.  I know one mammaw had 11 brothers/sisters  living from El Dorado to Hope.  They used to show up when I played SAU. 

My kids stay on me about writing a biography.  I have had a seriously adventurous life, mainly the years in Alaska.  Think I'll get me a tape recorder tomorrow. Anyhow try to get as much info, as you possibly can, before the sources are gone.
Contact JTTB he can help you write it.....

DogsWin7

February 18, 2014, 10:19:07 am #3 Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 10:23:02 am by DiehardFBfan
Lol!!  That will be a long story then!  Where is Justthrowtheball by the way??

Here I thought Valley went off on some whoppers but I have to admit I miss my Grandparents very much.    I was on spring break staying with them when my papaw got seriously ill from battling cancer and passed away.    I'll never forget how scared I was.   

I remember lots of things he tried to teach me such as how to be careful out in the woods as far as looking and distinguishing where I'm located to poisonous snakes etc.   I regret not learning how to quilt, and make
My grandmothers wonderful hot rolls.

Life is so short, we should be thankful for every person that comes into our life for whatever the reason.     We should all try to be happy and remember that they are people with stories and struggles of their own.   Everyone so tries to judge each other instead of trying to understand and pray for one another.

I think your kids have the right idea Valley.....especially since you have grand kids now.   They would enjoy learning what you have to teach them even if it's a daily journal.  Good luck!

Lions84

Quote from: Valleysports on February 16, 2014, 09:23:46 pm
So mom was sitting at our Sunday Family Dinner today and one thing lead to another.  Apparently I came close to being a Hog Fan.  When she was in 9Th grade, the family packed and got ready to move to Fayetteville, from Texarkana.  But Pappaw changed his mind at the last minute.  Pappaw was contracted to build University Buildings for some years.  I remember visiting he and Mammaw in a Little Rock Apartment as a kid.  He build a Skaggs Albertson there.  Oh I remember what started the conversation - we were talking about how far it is to travel to El Dorado for sports.  Mom pops out "oh I used to live there"  what?  Yep and you did too.  Your dad was a pastor there, when you were a baby.  And Genoa and Faulk also.  Maybe that has something to do with my fascination with the Faulk Monster.  Well I need to talk to my Pappaw, Mammaw, and Dad, about this, but they're gone.  I know one mammaw had 11 brothers/sisters  living from El Dorado to Hope.  They used to show up when I played SAU. 

My kids stay on me about writing a biography.  I have had a seriously adventurous life, mainly the years in Alaska.  Think I'll get me a tape recorder tomorrow.  Anyhow try to get as much info, as you possibly can, before the sources are gone.

Your Right we are recording folks all over our county to store in our county museum.   I got a tape of a 2 hour interview I did with my late Grandpaw about his WW2 experiences.  I got to dig it out and get it digitalized.
Once they are gone all you got is your memories of the stories they told you.

Valleysports

I did discussed writing it with JTTB.  I have a few chapters written and it will be a long book.  You can't read it Diehard, cause you wouldn't believe it.  I can tell you that I've used up 8 of my 9 lives, from falling off mountains to plane crashes. 

JTTB went Washington.  He's following his wife's career.  I think he was going to try his hand at being a congressional lobbyist. 

DogsWin7

Quote from: Valleysports on February 18, 2014, 11:30:06 am
I did discussed writing it with JTTB.  I have a few chapters written and it will be a long book.  You can't read it Diehard, cause you wouldn't believe it.  I can tell you that I've used up 8 of my 9 lives, from falling off mountains to plane crashes. 

JTTB went Washington.  He's following his wife's career.  I think he was going to try his hand at being a congressional lobbyist.

I didn't figure you would let me read it.....you like to decide and tell me what to do. 

Valleysports

Quote from: DiehardFBfan on February 18, 2014, 11:38:15 am

I didn't figure you would let me read it.....you like to decide and tell me what to do.

You just stated above that I tell whoppers, so why would I subject myself to that?

DogsWin7

Quote from: Valleysports on February 18, 2014, 11:41:05 am
Quote from: DiehardFBfan on February 18, 2014, 11:38:15 am

You just stated above that I tell whoppers, so why would I subject myself to that?
No need and I know right?   Why would I expect you to take the same so called constructive criticism that you give me.   

Lions84

True life is some times better than Fiction.

Uncle Ivan

I've been typing up old stories told by a close relative for the last few years now.

People aren't around forever.

Texarkana_Piggie

i agree completely.  so many times in the past 15 years i have thought, "i need to call mom and ask her so and so"  then i realize i can't.  get their stories down.  tape them, write them, something.  she was knew two of the phantom killer's victims.  my dad served in india in WWII.  now it's all gone.  and valley, if you are going to write it down, it's spelled fouke.  :) 

Kazimierz

Over the past 10 years my wife and I have a tradition.  Every time we stop to see my grandmother in Little Rock.  We all have a scotch... or 2... and she lets loose on some great stories. 

From our slave owning ancestors, to the 14 yr old who ran off from the plantation to marry a traveling tutor from Nashville, to the duel, to the guy who cheated on his wife and wound up in a duel (he won, but went to jail). 

[just think of all the crazy stuff that we would know if they had twitter back then]

We have it all recorded... some great stuff. And, my grandmother is the perfect southern belle from Mon-Roe Looziana. So her accent compliments the recording perfectly.

Valleysports

Piggie, Pappaw built Wadley.  So when he was on his death bed, the nurse asked him if he knew where he was - "I sure do, I built this hospital, I know every room".  She laughed and told the family they all do that, it's nothing to worry about.  Well everyone laughed, but didn't tell the nurse.  However they did tell Pappaw.  So later she came in and asked him what he did for a living, he replied "I was a Boxer".  Mom said he was sharp as a tack right to the end - 93 I think.  BTW - He came out of retirement at 75 and was the inspector on the New Boston Court house job.  I got a laborer job shoveling the mud out of that big hole all summer.  ;D  Then he stayed on as maintenance lead until he was 83.

True Believer

Valley both of my kids were born in Wadley! 

Fortunately my dad wrote down our family history on his side.  He told me lots of stories about his side.  My grandfather and his Irish side.   My grandmother and great grands  were from Brighton, England.  They came over on a ship in 1904.  Through Ellis Island.   I'm so glad he wrote down names and dates. 

Someone sent my mom her side of the family which goes back to England.  Thank goodness we have that.

I still want to ask questions but they have all passed now.  Yes, get their stories before they are gone.

True Believer

Quote from: Texarkana_Piggie on February 18, 2014, 04:42:04 pm
i agree completely.  so many times in the past 15 years i have thought, "i need to call mom and ask her so and so"  then i realize i can't.  get their stories down.  tape them, write them, something.  she was knew two of the phantom killer's victims.  my dad served in india in WWII.  now it's all gone.  and valley, if you are going to write it down, it's spelled fouke.  :) 

Oh Valley!   I hope you didn't drink the water in fouke better known as white trash haven   

Valleysports

LOL!  I was born in Wadley.  Now I do know the history on one grandpa's side and it is in history books.  I need to take my kids to Old Washington and show them what was passed down to me, by my dad, when I was kid.  My Great Grandpa did something for Arkansas, that got a lot of attention...

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: True Believer on February 18, 2014, 09:23:04 pm
My grandfather and his Irish side.

That hot Irish blood doesn't cool down too easily through generations, either.

AirWarren

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on February 18, 2014, 10:58:28 pm

That Irish blood is strong on my moms side.

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: AirWarren on February 18, 2014, 11:09:06 pm
Quote from: Uncle Ivan on February 18, 2014, 10:58:28 pm

That Irish blood is strong on my moms side.

Both sides of mine.  Fiery tempers all around.

DogsWin7

February 18, 2014, 11:45:24 pm #20 Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 11:50:56 pm by DiehardFBfan
What's neat is when you go visit the dermatologist and he proclaims your skin is how it is because of the Irish in you.   I had no idea but did know that I have some French in me.     

I have a history of one grandparent but that's it.   I find it fascinating at the different names and occupations that some had.

Lions84

My Grandma and her Mother were Flappers in the 1920's , drank smoked and pushed for the Right to vote in Monroe County.

True Believer

My dad was born in Memphis.  This is one of the stories he wrote down for us. 

When dad was 6 months old,  Popeye (get to that in a second) packed up the family and  bought land in Sharp Cty. 

There was a doctor in Hardy that thought he could tell everyone what to do and how to do it.  If you have ever been to Hardy you know the streets run up hills.  That dr and grandfather got into an argument.  My grandfather hit him so hard his pants fell down around his feet and in the attempt to get away from my grandfather, he rolled down that street.  My grandfather caught up with him in the bottom.  From what I read, it wasn't even a fair fight.

My grandfather's nickname was Popeye.  He lost one of his eyes to glaucoma.  And when he was a kid, he loved to box.  He won a welter weight golden gloves.  I probably said that wrong because I don't know too much about boxing.  But he would sit on the stoop and get my greatgrandmother's knitting needles.  The first kid that came by and made fun of him for knitting would be a chance for my grandfather to box him.  Or fight. Hence his nickname Popeye!  The one eye and the fighting.

He was the best man I have ever known.  He was so good to me.  I miss him.  I only saw the Irish temper once and it was scary.  He smoked pipes and King Edward cigars.  I have his pipes and one of his cigar boxes.  He smelled like rubbing alcohol.  I am not sure why lol.  But when he gave me his big Irish hug, I could smell tobacco and rubbing alcohol. 

True Believer

Quote from: Lions84 on February 19, 2014, 01:53:42 pm
My Grandma and her Mother were Flappers in the 1920's , drank smoked and pushed for the Right to vote in Monroe County.

That is great!!!   Good strong women!

True Believer

By the way I love reading about everyone's families! 

Kazimierz

Quote from: True Believer on February 19, 2014, 09:08:33 pm
My dad was born in Memphis.  This is one of the stories he wrote down for us. 

When dad was 6 months old,  Popeye (get to that in a second) packed up the family and  bought land in Sharp Cty. 

There was a doctor in Hardy that thought he could tell everyone what to do and how to do it.  If you have ever been to Hardy you know the streets run up hills.  That dr and grandfather got into an argument.  My grandfather hit him so hard his pants fell down around his feet and in the attempt to get away from my grandfather, he rolled down that street.  My grandfather caught up with him in the bottom.  From what I read, it wasn't even a fair fight.

My grandfather's nickname was Popeye.  He lost one of his eyes to glaucoma.  And when he was a kid, he loved to box.  He won a welter weight golden gloves.  I probably said that wrong because I don't know too much about boxing.  But he would sit on the stoop and get my greatgrandmother's knitting needles.  The first kid that came by and made fun of him for knitting would be a chance for my grandfather to box him.  Or fight. Hence his nickname Popeye!  The one eye and the fighting.

He was the best man I have ever known.  He was so good to me.  I miss him.  I only saw the Irish temper once and it was scary.  He smoked pipes and King Edward cigars.  I have his pipes and one of his cigar boxes.  He smelled like rubbing alcohol.  I am not sure why lol.  But when he gave me his big Irish hug, I could smell tobacco and rubbing alcohol.

Haha.  My grandfather "Pop" smoked these things all day. Always had three in his shirt pocket. My grandmother "Mimi" would make him sit in the kitchen by the stove with the vent on when the grandkids were around.  Or we would sit out on the porch while he smoked cigars and trimmed his roses. He loved messing with those roses.

All of our crayons and knickknacks were in King Edward cigar boxes.  Man, thanks for bringing back that memory.

True Believer

Roses bring back memories for me too.  Thanks for that!!

Valleysports

One of my Grandpa's smoked a pipe - I love the smell of a sweet smelling pipe.  That reminded me - one of his other passions was growing roses.  He had rows of rose bushes all over.

Hardy?  Isn't that where the Arkansas Reality Show is about to premier? 

Texarkana_Piggie

my pop smoked dutch masters.  he was allowed one a day (by my grandma whom my daughter is named for).  and he had to smoke it out in the yard or in his shop if it was raining or cold.  i remember walking around the yard with him while he smoked it.  i will always remember he smelled like those cigars and i thought it was the most wonderful smell in the world.  he died from a massive stroke when i was in 2nd grade.

True Believer

Quote from: Valleysports on February 19, 2014, 09:43:28 pm
One of my Grandpa's smoked a pipe - I love the smell of a sweet smelling pipe.  That reminded me - one of his other passions was growing roses.  He had rows of rose bushes all over.

Hardy?  Isn't that where the Arkansas Reality Show is about to premier? 

Yes.  And there are real true hillbillies there.  One of the stories dad wrote was about the moonshine stills up there.  Now this was in the 20's and 30's but he said whenever Popeye and he would walk up on one, Popeye always told him "Don't stop, don't look left and don't look right.  Walk fast".  Because there was someone watching them and they would as soon shoot them as not if my family  had seen them or stopped at that still. 

I hate that show is coming on but there are hill people there.  Old clans.  Deep hatred for each other.  Deep deep distrust of outsiders.  I am even surprised that they are doing that show.  Money I'm sure. 

Ridge Rat

I'll regret to my dying day not recording or at least writing my Granpa's stories down. No telling at the days I sat beside him telling about his life. Some of my fondest memories are spending the night with him and listening to stories of coon dogs and what it was to grow up in the hills at the turn of the century as I went to sleep.
The things those people lived through are so alien to us today. Hauling freight by wagon from Leslie and Marshall all the way to Witt Springs, waking up under a wagon and ice covering his blanket, or running across a field from one hill to another with 175 men and only 25 or so left able to stand when they got there in WWI.
I've tried to tell my sons everything I can remember about his stories, but it's a sad replacement for Grandpa's words. I have a cousin who videoed him telling those stories and have to make a point to get copies made some day before it's too late.

johnharrison

They are getting hard to find, but if you can find someone who grew up in the Delta (or even as far over as Little Rock) you can hear some wild stories about the 1927 flood.

Even folks who were 2 - 3 remember it..........but now they are few.

People getting diplomas from boats going by the school house, teenagers reburying bodies, kids building "boats" on which a car would be parked to use its engine to power the sternwheel, folks living on bridges for weeks, 8 years olds riding in the lap of Navy pilots in Lake Village to find stranded folks.

Reading "Rising Tide" is great, but finding one person to tell you about it is better!

Valleysports

Hey ricepig would've been there, maybe he can tell us about it.

cuckoobird

My grandfather was in gillett at the time. The speak easies stayed open but you had a boat in window

True Believer

Quote from: johnharrison on February 21, 2014, 07:29:11 am
They are getting hard to find, but if you can find someone who grew up in the Delta (or even as far over as Little Rock) you can hear some wild stories about the 1927 flood.

People getting diplomas from boats going by the school house, teenagers reburying bodies, kids building "boats" on which a car would be parked to use its engine to power the sternwheel, folks living on bridges for weeks, 8 years olds riding in the lap of Navy pilots in Lake Village to find stranded folks.

Reading "Rising Tide" is great, but finding one person to tell you about it is better!

That is the year my mom was born.  In LaGrange, Arkansas.   My grandpa lost everything.   I didn't get to talk to him about it.  I wish I could have.

johnharrison

Quote from: True Believer on February 21, 2014, 08:13:15 pm
Quote from: johnharrison on February 21, 2014, 07:29:11 am

That is the year my mom was born.  In LaGrange, Arkansas.   My grandpa lost everything.   I didn't get to talk to him about it.  I wish I could have.

:-(

Lions84

Write them down or get that Video camera out and record them telling these stories.  Once they are gone they are gone.

Kazimierz

One of grandpa's friends wanted him to sit on the board of a truck company.  Grandpa didn't think he had time to do it, so he said no.

You know that company as J.B. Hunt. My grandparents stayed friends with them for many years.

Lions84

Quote from: True Believer on February 19, 2014, 09:12:12 pm
Quote from: Lions84 on February 19, 2014, 01:53:42 pm

That is great!!!   Good strong women!

My Great Granmother was referred to by some as heck on Wheels.   She carried a I frame S&W 38 in a holster sewed into the back of her apron.

Breitontime

We just put my great grandmother in hospice. Used to love hearing stories of life during the depression, WWII, etc. She got in a solid 93 years.

Lions84

My favorite is one of my Great Grandfathers on my moms side was a tee totaler yet he ran a still and sold shine during the depression.

Uncle Ivan

March 04, 2014, 01:04:01 am #41 Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 07:55:31 am by Uncle Ivan
Something I've noticed through the years was a "Depression mentality" (Great Depression, that is) that people saved everything.  Even when it appeared to be useless junk.

Am I off base here?

Breitontime

Ha, you should have seen my great grandmothers property about 10 years ago when the family moved her into assisted living. I have never seen attics, and barns packed so full of useless junk.

DogsWin7

March 04, 2014, 09:44:16 am #43 Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 09:56:14 am by DiehardFBfan
Quote from: Uncle Ivan on March 04, 2014, 01:04:01 am
Something I've noticed through the years was a "Depression mentality" (Great Depression, that is) that people saved everything.  Even when it appeared to be useless junk.

Am I off base here?

No, I think you are spot on.   

Most were raised to value  and appreciate everything because it was hard to come by.    They believed that they might actually need whatever it was they had later...or the thought it seems was oh' that's worth money.    I don't think the youth today could survive that time period.   I know my Grandfather thought you should save everything and live on just the basics....and by basics I don't mean soda pop everyday....try about one bottle, once a week.   I'd be better off health wise if I lived by that. 

When I purchased a older home, there was all kinda of stuff in the attic and barn.  They kept Old Lard and Oil Cans, Coke Bottles, Heavy Furniture....actually stamped in USA. 

True Believer

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on March 04, 2014, 01:04:01 am

Am I off base here?

You are right on.   My grandparents lost everything in the Great Depression.  That is when they left Hardy.  My grandmother kept everything.  She would have been on the horders tv show.  My grandfather did not trust banks for years and years.  He kept his money hidden.  He finally in the 70's got a bank account. 

Valleysports

I hear what y'all are saying and remember the same things - however I think there have always been and will always be hoarders.  My wife didn't come through the depression, but if you looked at my garage - you'd think she had.

DogsWin7

What about all your stuff??   

The stuff that's not in the garage. 

Valleysports

Do women have a natural instinct to fight for each other or something? 

True Believer

Quote from: Valleysports on March 04, 2014, 09:20:07 pm
Do women have a natural instinct to fight for each other or something? 

Yes.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas