• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Deceased Famous People(2013)

Started by Brian G, January 01, 2013, 10:21:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian G

I have always liked the part of the Academy Awards where they roll a list of people who have passed within the past year.  In society now, there are just so many forms of fame that despite the information sources available we often miss and/or forget.

Though maybe we can use this thread as reference.  This thread is going to be informal, but it would be nice to keep it more on point if we could.

Famous or infamous is in the eye of the poster.

May this thread be a short one.   

Brian G

I read the 2012 one this morning and it was a memory juggler.

bleudog

January 12, 2013, 05:38:37 pm #2 Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 06:09:28 pm by bleudog
Frank Page

Page was born in Malvern and began his radio career in Little Rock.  He was a long time broadcaster for KWKH radio in Shreveport.  He was the announcer for the Louisiana Hayride and helped make the phrase, "Elvis has left the building," a part of music history.  In addition to his work in country music, he did late night rhythm and blues shows sponsored by Stan's Record Shop on KWKH and KAAY as Brother Gatemouth.  Bob Dylan credits this show as an influence and mentions Page in two of his books, "Dylan" and "Tarantula".

CLICK HERE

CLICK HERE

CLICK HERE

Brian G

Dear Abby

Real name Pauline Phillips at the age of 94.

Advice columnist

Loved reading that years ago.

Lions84

Quote from: bleudog on January 12, 2013, 05:38:37 pm
Frank Page

Page was born in Malvern and began his radio career in Little Rock.  He was a long time broadcaster for KWKH radio in Shreveport.  He was the announcer for the Louisiana Hayride and helped make the phrase, "Elvis has left the building," a part of music history.  In addition to his work in country music, he did late night rhythm and blues shows sponsored by Stan's Record Shop on KWKH and KAAY as Brother Gatemouth.  Bob Dylan credits this show as an influence and mentions Page in two of his books, "Dylan" and "Tarantula".

CLICK HERE

CLICK HERE

CLICK HERE

I remember listining to that show in the 1970's on Saturday and Sunday nights.  Rest in Peace Mr Page.

Brian G

Brian G

Earl Weaver

Baseball Manager.  He was 82 and a Hall of Famer.

Indiana Jones

3sportkid

Quote from: Indiana Jones on January 19, 2013, 07:17:04 pm
Stan Musial also passed on :(

3-time MVP and 22-time All-Star, had 3,630 hits in his MLB career; 1,815 at home and 1,815 on the road.

sevenof400

Wow - did you check out this connection .....

He (Musial) played nearly until 43rd birthday, adding to his totals. He got a hit with his final swing, sending an RBI single past Cincinnati's rookie second baseman -- that was Pete Rose, who would break Musial's league hit record of 3,630 some 18 years later.

True Believer

71 days until opening day.  RIP boys! 

1-Adam-12

Patty Andrews, 94

Of the Andrews Sisters.  She was the lead singer, and the last one to pass away.

Think "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy."

RIP.

gatecrasher

Former New York mayor Ed Koch. Dead at 88 from heart failure.

bleudog

February 01, 2013, 07:24:59 am #13 Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 07:15:16 pm by bleudog
Quote from: gatecrasher on February 01, 2013, 06:51:51 am
Former New York mayor Ed Koch. Dead at 88 from heart failure.

I'm not sure about how the ESPN adaptation treated it, but the book 'The Bronx is Burning' has an extensive subplot focused on the 1977 New York City Mayoral race featuring incumbent mayor Abraham Beame, former Congresswoman Bella Abzug, future Governor Mario Cuomo, and Congressman Ed Koch, the eventual winner.

Lions84

1-Adam-12

Mindy McCready, 37

Country singer ("Guys Do It All The Time", "Maybe He'll Notice Her Now") and others.

According to reports she died in Heber Springs.

Brian G

Link

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2013/02/17/country-singer-mindy-mccready-dead-apparent-suicide/

Rough life.  That article doesn't mention the Roger Clemens sidebar.  I can't believe she was that old.

AirWarren

Coward way out.

Regardless, prayers for her children. They are left with the pain now.

bleudog

bleudog

True Believer

Quote from: AirWarren on February 17, 2013, 10:06:21 pm
Coward way out.

Regardless, prayers for her children. They are left with the pain now.

My prayer for you is that your life goes as you plan and nothing ever takes you to the pit.  Because all can't climb out of it.  And you never know when life is going to throw you a curve ball.

Prayers for her family and friends.   

Breitontime

Being a druggie isn't a curve ball. It's a choice. Nobody forced her to be a junkie.

bleudog

Van Cliburn, American classical pianist, dies:

CLICK HERE

bleudog

Former Allman Brothers band member Dan Toler dies:

CLICK HERE

Lions84

Quote from: bleudog on February 27, 2013, 03:15:10 pm
Former Allman Brothers band member Dan Toler dies:

CLICK HERE

RIP love the Allman Brothers Band.

sevenof400

"To Those Who Have Gone."

Major Tom Griffin died Tuesday.  I'll admit that I did not recognize his name or know his story.   

Major Griffin was one of many brave individuals who served his country in World War II - that alone would be enough to take a moment to remember him.

In addition, Major Griffin also shares a special distinction with his group of comrades who were to become known as Doolittle's Raiders.  In a tribute to Major Griffin, the article notes the final reunion of the Raiders is about to held in April at Fort Walton Beach, Fl. 

At present, there are four surviving Raiders.

Thank you to all of the brave men and women who served their country in the Armed Forces.
Thank you to those who stood bravely in the face of the enemy at a time when our country most needed them. 

Click here for more on Major Griffin.

True Believer

March 02, 2013, 01:05:44 pm #26 Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 05:19:05 pm by True Believer
My dad told me that they use to watch Dolittle Raiders in dogfights in the P51 Mustangs against the Japanese.   My dad was a combat Engineer.   

Good link. 

1-Adam-12

Bonnie Franklin, 69

The mom on "One Day At A Time".

1-Adam-12

Hugo Chavez, 58

Polarizing president of Venezuela.

bleudog

"William Moody, who caught the wrestling bug as a child in Mobile and went on to play the characters of Paul Bearer and Percival Pringle III on an international stage, died on Tuesday, according to the WWE's website........"

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/03/william_moody_-_aka_wrestlings.html

Lions84

Quote from: bleudog on March 06, 2013, 07:42:12 pm
"William Moody, who caught the wrestling bug as a child in Mobile and went on to play the characters of Paul Bearer and Percival Pringle III on an international stage, died on Tuesday, according to the WWE's website........"

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/03/william_moody_-_aka_wrestlings.html

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/dfw/obituary.aspx?n=william-moody&pid=163505856

Lions84

Arvin Lee

British rock guitarist Alvin Lee, founder of the band Ten Years After who burst to stardom with a memorable Woodstock performance, has died. He was 68.
"He was a great musician, writer, producer, performer, and a gentleman, truly one of a kind," Rainey said in an email.

Former Ten Years After bandmate Leo Lyons called Lee "the closet thing" he had to a brother, recalling "so many great experiences" shared together.

"He was an inspiration for a generation of guitar players," Lyons said in an email expressing shock and sadness over Lee's death.

CASSANDRA VINOGRAD,Associated Press

AP writers Mesfin Fekadu in New York and Gregory Katz in London contributed to this report.

copyright © 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Read more here: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/dfw/obituary.aspx?n=alvin-lee&pid=163505532#storylink=cpy

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/dfw/obituary.aspx?n=alvin-lee&pid=163505532

Lions84

http://swtimes.com/sections/news/former-state-senator-bill-walters-greenwood-dies.html

Former State Senator Bill Walters

Greenwood attorney and former state Sen. Bill Walters died Tuesday following a battle with pancreatic cancer.

DogsWin7

Quote from: Lions84 on March 08, 2013, 11:47:36 am
http://swtimes.com/sections/news/former-state-senator-bill-walters-greenwood-dies.html

Former State Senator Bill Walters

Greenwood attorney and former state Sen. Bill Walters died Tuesday following a battle with pancreatic cancer.

Very Good Man.  Had the pleasure of knowing him personally.  He will be missed greatly.  Prayers to the family.

bleudog

bleudog

March 18, 2013, 07:01:52 pm #35 Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 07:09:23 pm by bleudog
Former Oklahoma QB Steve Davis dies in plane crash:

CLICK HERE

Lions84

Many in the Sooner Nation weeps at his passing.

Lions84

bleudog

bleudog

Lions84

Lions84

Indiana Jones

famous movie critic Roger Ebert-70

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: Indiana Jones on April 04, 2013, 04:07:06 pm

Nasty, vicious, bitter, vengeful, hateful old man.

I'll refrain from further dancing.

Lions84

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/moviesnow/la-et-mn-roger-ebert-appreciation-20130405,0,669989.story

I remember tuning in on PBS Channel 2 to watch him and the Late Gene Siskel each week for their movie reviews.

RIP and we will see you at the Movies.

sevenof400

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on April 04, 2013, 08:49:25 pm
Quote from: Indiana Jones on April 04, 2013, 04:07:06 pm

Nasty, vicious, bitter, vengeful, hateful old man.

I'll refrain from further dancing.

I didn't know movies could be that polarizing.

Geez.

bleudog

April 06, 2013, 05:03:53 pm #46 Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 05:06:04 pm by bleudog
Pastor Rick Warren's Son Matthew Commits Suicide After Lifelong Battle With Mental Illness:

CLICK HERE

True Believer

redwolf143

The Iron Lady, Margaret Thatcher, passed this morning due to a stroke.  Conservative prime minister of England from 1979-1990. She was 88.

Lions84

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas