• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SEC West, I mean 5A West predictions

Started by InYoGrill, September 23, 2014, 05:43:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Who gonna win the conference this season?

Vilonia
3 (7.3%)
Harrison
7 (17.1%)
Farmington
8 (19.5%)
LR Christian
5 (12.2%)
That "other" team
18 (43.9%)

Total Members Voted: 41

InYoGrill

Non conference season done. Conference now starts this Friday. Who's going to be the top dog and how is the conference going to play out??

Drop outs
No Alma
No Huntsville- LOL.........
No $hilo

Newcomers
Farmington 4A traditionally good team
Maumelle- consolidated school putting some $ in program
LR Christian- No Michael Dyer- thank goodness. GW ex coach at the helm.

Thoughts on 2014 West conference???

The Future

Wait where's Maumelle?! Welp there goes my vote.

Guess ill just vote for that other team 

pantherblue

Greenbrier. Learn to say it and learn to spell it.  Haha

InYoGrill

The_Pioneer

Oldbadger

Greenbri E r.  See, I  can learn to spell correctly.  They are good!!

Jayepea

I don't know if u fellers know this or not, but vilonia's Jr class has been running the double wing since the 5th grade. This class got lucky & had a great peewee coatch that knew the double wing well. I'm glad we still run it. It takes time to get the team jiven, so when they do stand back cause the play book is huge & its a lot fun to watch!

InYoGrill

Quote from: Jayepea on September 24, 2014, 12:21:53 am
I don't know if u fellers know this or not, but vilonia's Jr class has been running the double wing since the 5th grade. This class got lucky & had a great peewee coatch that knew the double wing well. I'm glad we still run it. It takes time to get the team jiven, so when they do stand back cause the play book is huge & its a lot fun to watch!

Curious, who was that coach? I may know him.

Jayepea

Quote from: InYoGrill on September 24, 2014, 07:00:39 am

It was Randy W. I here he's coaching a peewee team this year.

InYoGrill

Quote from: Jayepea on September 24, 2014, 01:15:16 pm
Quote from: InYoGrill on September 24, 2014, 07:00:39 am

It was Randy W. I here he's coaching a peewee team this year.

Oh Weidi. Yes, he has been the backbone of the youth league for years at V. Great guy as well. His son that played couple years ago was a bull for all 3 years.

DerekOxford

I'm interested to see how Farmington does. They looked really good in their non-conference. I think they'll make some noise. I don't know if they'll clinch a playoff spot but they'll make some teams sweat.

Go Postal

Quote from: InYoGrill on September 23, 2014, 08:43:16 pm
Quote from: pantherblue on September 23, 2014, 07:07:06 pm
Greenbrier. Learn to say it and learn to spell it.  Haha

BRIAR
Greenbrier or "The Briar".  Same thing.  The boys have done pretty good in football and soccer in the last few years.  Always watching them and they are one of the teams on the Goblin radar for both sports.

Jayepea

pantherblue

InYoGrill

InYoGrill

I'm really curious to see how the new teams fair tonight. I'll be waiting for updates from Harrison and Maumelle. Farmington seems early on to be the biggest surprise. LRC has usually had a good program. Last time I saw them, they beat GB in 2nd rd of playoffs at GB. Michael Dyer ran beast mode on Briar. And yes, I sat next to Panther Blue and watched that game with him, lol.

pantherblue

Grill your memory is terrible. Dyer's HS football career ended that night at Greenbrier as Hunter Winston scored his 6th and winning TD as time was running out. Great memories. 

InYoGrill

Quote from: pantherblue on September 26, 2014, 10:21:50 am
Grill your memory is terrible. Dyer's HS football career ended that night at Greenbrier as Hunter Winston scored his 6th and winning TD as time was running out. Great memories.

LOL! You are right this one time and only one time my fellow sack of poo buddy.  ;D

Winston was the beast that game and season. He was like a idol god even back when he played Jr high ball

InYoGrill

Morrilton
LRC
Briar
Maumelle
Farmington
Harrison
V
Cville

This is how I see it after week 1. MoTown is defending champs and they beat a decent Briar team to open the season. Very balanced conference so far. Who is going to seperate themselves to the top half?

The Future

September 28, 2014, 12:56:54 pm #19 Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 11:23:14 pm by The Future
Week 1 of conference play had its surprises. Morrilton stepped up and defended their West title while Maumelle pulled a shock with a multiple TD win over Harrison in their 5A West debut. LRC beat Farmington as expected and Vionia finally pulled away from Clarksville after a close score game. This past week was a perfect example of why the West is the best conference in 5A.

After week 1:
Morrilton 1-0
LRC 1-0
Vilonia 1-0
Greenbrier 0-1
Maumelle 1-0
Harrison 0-1
Farmington 0-1
Clarksville 0-1

Clarksville at Maumelle
New team on the block Maumelle showed they weren't gonna fall over as they begin their 5A West career as they beat favored Harrison. Maumelle was  a decent 4A team and has a good level of talent, but will they be able to continue and have a decent first season in 5A. Clarksville has the advantage of already being in the West for a few years now and knows what to expect each week, but this is the first time these 2 teams have met. It is very unlikely either team makes it to the playoffs, but a win here would definitely help those odds.
Maumelle 28 Clarksville 14

Farmington at Greenbrier
Both are coming off losses. New comer Farmington has turned some heads with their 3-1 start. They played one conference contender last week and turn around and play another this week. And with Greenbrier coming off a heartbreaker to Motown, that could mean trouble for Farmington. Farmington, like Maumelle, was successful in 4A and looks to carry that over to 5A. No easy task.
Greenbrier 42 Farmington 14

Morrilton at Vilonia
Morrilton proved they're still top dog in the West with a win over possibly the next best team in the West Greenbrier. While Vilonia struggled a bit at first, but pulled away and beat a game Clarksville team. Morrilton while aren't as good as last year still have a great coach and some skill players. Vilonia will need to play a very very good game to pull the upset.
Morrilton 35 Vilonia 10

Harrison at LRC
Hmm, I wanna say LRC by a lot, but something tells me this will be a toughie. Harrison has showed they are improving, but still can't get over the hump of winning a winnable game. If this game was at Harrison, I'd give Harrison a bit more of a chance. The combo of Weaver and James at LRC could mean a threat in seasons to come. Game of the week right here for the West.
LRC 28 Harrison 21

After week 2
Morrilton 2-0
LRC 2-0
Greenbrier 1-1
Vilonia 1-1
Maumelle 2-0
Harrison 0-2
Farmington 0-2
Clarksville 0-2

AT

September 28, 2014, 01:04:16 pm #20 Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 01:06:27 pm by Almatrackster
Quote from: The Future on September 28, 2014, 12:56:54 pm
Week 1 of conference play had its surprises. Morrilton stepped up and defended their West title

I'd like to take this time to remind everyone that the Devil Dogs aren't the defending West champs :)

Great post other than that Future.

The Future

Quote from: Almatrackster on September 28, 2014, 01:04:16 pm
Week 1 of conference play had its surprises. Morrilton stepped up and defended their West title

I'd like to take this time to remind everyone that the Devil Dogs aren't the defending West champs :)

Great post other than that Future.

Haha I stand corrected! I knew what I was wanting to put. Just got my typing all back'ards

I was meaning to type 5A title. But I had my mind on the West conference.

Alma is the defending West champions of all champions of the universe now and forever!!!!
That make up for it, Trackster? :)

Hogskin

No one cares about conf championships, if your goal is not state then you have no chance to make showing in 5A West

AT

Quote from: Hogskin on September 28, 2014, 02:09:57 pm
No one cares about conf championships, if your goal is not state then you have no chance to make showing in 5A West

I was just giving Future a hard time. But yes, Alma cares a little about winning conference last year. I'm sure Morrilton doesn't care they lost it now (although I'm sure it stirs in the back of their minds more than they'd like to admit).

MoTownDog

Our Jr's remember this team well.  They were our only loss in 3 years but we smoked them at your house in the 6th grade super bowl.  Remember, the game where your announcers left at half-time and you had all those extra fire works left you didn't get to shoot off.  And you also shut the lights off on us while we were getting our trophy and taking pictures.  I always did wonder what happened to all those fireworks. 

Jayepea

Well said MTD. I do remember that game y'all played lights out! I left in the 4th qrt. & didn't know that other B.S. happened. That turely was bullcrap, if that's how it went down.

As for the fireworks idk, maybe we'll see em Friday!

The_Pioneer

Jayepea

The 5A is a super power!! I'd put the top 10 5A teams against any team in the state!!

Chief_Osceolaâ„¢

After week 2
Morrilton 2-0
LRC 2-0
Greenbrier 1-1
Vilonia 1-1
Maumelle 1-1
Harrison 0-2
Farmington 0-2
Clarksville 0-2

Wait, what?

Jayepea

The Future

Quote from: Chief_Osceolaâ„¢ on September 28, 2014, 10:09:22 pm

After week 2
Morrilton 2-0
LRC 2-0
Greenbrier 1-1
Vilonia 1-1
Maumelle 1-1
Harrison 0-2
Farmington 0-2
Clarksville 0-2

Wait, what?

Ha Chief, it took me like 5 minutes to figure out what you were talking about. I fixed it. Maumelle I have at 2-0 after Friday, but I think I have them in the right spot still. Morrilton, Greenbrier, and LRC will most likely be losses. Vilonia is a toss up and could be winnable for Maumelle. But until it happens, Vilonia stays above Maumelle.

Chief_Osceolaâ„¢

The Future

They haven't played yet. So we don't know exactly how a game between the 2 would go. Just because one team is 2-0, it doesn't mean they are always better than a 1-1 team. Vilonia would seem like the pick to win, but with them you just never know. They could win by a TD or 2 or they could lose by a TD or 2. Maumelle may be head and shoulders better. We'll find out week 7. They gotta prove it. Until then, I have them where they are.

Youngsta71701

Looks like Morrilton might be That "other" team...

Go Postal

I as wondering if this season will be the same as in the past in the West.  Where we had to go to week 10 to find out who will go to the playoffs by who-beat-who/tiebreaker points/whatever.  Granted that we don't have teams like Greenwood, Alma and Siloam Springs anymore, but we got LRCA back plus some good teams in Maumelle and Farmington.  This year could be even more interesting as this season progresses.  For instance in the 1st week...

Favored Greenbrier lost to Morrilton (who might be down this year).
Favored Harrison lost to a good newcomer Maumelle.
Good newcomer LRCA won against a favored newcomer Farmington.
Vilonia (who might also be down this year) pulled a win against Clarksville.

So the strangest scenario that could happen for Week 2 and start to reset everything...
Farmington beats a good Greenbrier team. (this game will put someone 1-1 and 0-2).
Harrison beats a good LRCA team. (this game will put someone 2-0, 1-1 or 0-2).
Vilonia pulls the upset and beats last year's State Champs Morrilton.  (this game will put someone 2-0 and 1-1).
Clarksville pulls a win against Maumelle. (this game will put someone 2-0, 1-1 or 0-2)

People from other conferences say that the West is down this year losing Alma.  But I still think that it is the most interesting conference on teams being very alike week in and week out.  Who will be the Conference Champs?  Who will go into the Playoffs?  How far will the West go into the playoffs?  I have no clue yet.  It is exciting watching how the West does week to week.  We will see...

Chief_Osceolaâ„¢

Quote from: Jayepea on September 28, 2014, 10:46:12 pm
What?? Hornets suck! What??

You trailed Clarksville at halftime.  The same Clarksville team who is playing a freshman at quarterback.  Let that sink in.

The Future

Quote from: Chief_Osceolaâ„¢ on October 02, 2014, 10:27:31 am

You trailed Clarksville at halftime.  The same Clarksville team who is playing a freshman at quarterback.  Let that sink in.

Wow. Clarksville has a freshman QB? Hmm. I wonder how good they will be in 3 years. Clarksville as a conference title contender??

Chief_Osceolaâ„¢

Quote from: The Future on October 02, 2014, 10:47:55 am
Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on October 02, 2014, 10:27:31 am

Wow. Clarksville has a freshman QB? Hmm. I wonder how good they will be in 3 years. Clarksville as a conference title contender??

Tough to say.  I think he is the younger brother of a former Clarksville QB.  I could be wrong though; I don't keep up with Clarksville much anymore since leaving years ago.

Go Postal

Future, you mean that Clarksville may not be known as just a basketball town? ;)

The Future

Quote from: Go Postal on October 02, 2014, 07:10:38 pm
Future, you mean that Clarksville may not be known as just a basketball town? ;)

Haha ya never know.

Future says Clarksville 2017 5A state football champions!!!  :)

InYoGrill

Quote from: The Future on October 02, 2014, 08:42:46 pm

Haha ya never know.

Wildhog14

Blazer51

Quote from: The Future on October 02, 2014, 10:47:55 am
Quote from: Chief_Osceolaâ„¢ on October 02, 2014, 10:27:31 am

Pottsville did it in 2011 when we played them in the quarter finals iand he ended up being pretty good!

The Future

Quote from: InYoGrill on October 02, 2014, 10:11:25 pm

Haha ya never know.

Careful, Grill, don't bust a gut just yet. Still have 3 more years lol.
By the way, hows that Vtown winning a state title goal going?? :)

2017 5A state championship: Clarksville edges Vilonia in 73-70 shoot out with last second field goal!!

InYoGrill

Quote from: The Future on October 03, 2014, 09:45:55 am

Haha ya never know.

2017 5A state championship: Clarksville edges Vilonia in 73-70 shoot out with last second field goal!!

It's happening in the FUTURE.  3 years when Woodmuts comeback to 5A -Vilonia 73-70 over the mutts on last second V hail mary for the win while Grill throws TT out of his press box window and lands on the FF poster pound below. I like that vision.

The Future

Quote from: InYoGrill on October 03, 2014, 10:51:53 am

Haha ya never know.

It's happening in the FUTURE.  3 years when Woodmuts comeback to 5A -Vilonia 73-70 over the mutts on last second V hail mary for the win while Grill throws TT out of his press box window and lands on the FF poster pound below. I like that vision.

I like it!!

Wait, I forgot about Greenwood's possibility of moving back down. Ok scratch what I said last. Greenwood returns to 5A, blows everyone out of the water, and wins the title and returns to being criticized about playing a bunch of nobodys.

InYoGrill

Quote from: The Future on October 03, 2014, 12:27:57 pm
Quote from: InYoGrill on October 03, 2014, 10:51:53 am

Haha ya never know.

I like it!!

Wait, I forgot about Greenwood's possibility of moving back down. Ok scratch what I said last. Greenwood returns to 5A, blows everyone out of the water, and wins the title and returns to being criticized about playing a bunch of nobodys.

Yes, not a vision but REALITY.  :'( :'( :'(

InYoGrill

Everyone might want to readjust for the Farmington votes. Beat bad by Harrison and now Briar.
LRC may not be as tough in conference as well. Good to see V, H, and that other team proving traditional west members aren't going to let newcomers run the conference. Maumelle still looking good though.

Go Postal

Quote from: InYoGrill on October 03, 2014, 10:15:26 pm

Everyone might want to readjust for the Farmington votes. Beat bad by Harrison and now Briar.
LRC may not be as tough in conference as well. Good to see V, H, and that other team proving traditional west members aren't going to let newcomers run the conference. Maumelle still looking good though.
Fixed that for you, West brother.  We play them in week 10.  But anything can happen between now and then.  WE ARE THE WEST!

Jayepea

This week will say alot about who's #1 in the Wild West!

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas