• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Maumelle at Harrison

Started by DaOldRef, September 21, 2014, 09:12:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DaOldRef

Maumelle is new to the conference, but has faced Harrison when they were Oak Grove.  Maumelle owns thebetter record, but the wins hhaven't been over the quality of teams that Harrison has faced..... thoughts and predictions.....

MoTownDog

Before maumelles quarterback forgot to attend summer school and made himself ineligible to play this year, I would have picked them.  But I think harrison has some long lost confidence this year and will win some games.  Harrison 28 maumelle 21.

AT

Talk about a clash of your cliché "immovable object" vs "unstoppable force".

I think Harrison imposes their style against Maumelle and starts the conference slate off with a bang.

Googlymoogly

Quote from: DaOldRef on September 21, 2014, 09:12:28 pm
Maumelle is new to the conference, but has faced Harrison when they were Oak Grove.  Maumelle owns thebetter record, but the wins hhaven't been over the quality of teams that Harrison has faced..... thoughts and predictions.....
Pulaski Oak Grove was in the then AAAA-West Conference with Harrison in the early 90s. Been almost 20 years since they two faced off against each other

Overdahill

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: Almatrackster on September 21, 2014, 10:03:49 pm
Talk about a clash of your cliché "immovable object" vs "unstoppable force".

Pretty spot on.  Maumelle will be faster across the board, while Harrison should be more physical up front.  For Maumelle to win, it will need to force a couple of turnovers and give its offense good field position.  In turn, the offense will have to put points on the board if/when it gets to the red zone.  We will have to be creative in getting the ball to our speedy playmakers in space.  The key for Harrison will be to play assignment football on defense and try to limit Maumelle's potential for big plays.  They will also need to not play offense behind the sticks - i.e. keeping themselves out of second/third and long situations, as the strength of Maumelle's defense is its back seven. 

I feel that Harrison is a much better team than their record indicates, and Maumelle still has some question marks.  I'll go with Harrison by a touchdown.

AT

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on September 22, 2014, 08:13:40 am
They will also need to not play offense behind the sticks - i.e. keeping themselves out of second/third and long situations, as the strength of Maumelle's defense is its back seven. 

I feel that Harrison is a much better team than their record indicates, and Maumelle still has some question marks.  I'll go with Harrison by a touchdown.

Alma's strength is their back 7 too. Alma's Coach Loughridge said before the game that Harrison would try to turn it to a 7 on 7 match and Alma had to stop that from happening. Harrison moved the ball quite well against Alma most of the night. I can't recall very many drives where we made them go 3 and out, if any. Heck I can't recall many drives where they didn't get two first downs. They were in Alma territory a bunch, but as Coach Loughridge said in the postgame interview, when the field becomes shorter and smaller for Harrison, it gives them less room for their WRs to roam around and makes it harder to fit the ball in tight spaces for the QB.

For the past two years, Alma has played what you would probably call "conservative" against Harrison and it's worked. They make the Goblins sustain long drives and not let the big play happen. I'll be interested in hearing if Maumelle plays them the same way or if they are more aggressive with their coverage and press the Harrison wideouts. One thing Maumelle will have to worry about is that Brock Humphrey's, their QB, is a true dual threat QB.

There was one play where he ran literally 20-30 yards backwards against Alma to avoid a sack, came back up field and threw it for a 15 yard gain (Johnny Football style).

If Maumelle can play keep away when they are on offense, then they can have success.

The Future

I think it'll be closer than what I think. I wanna say Harrison by 2 TDs. But my gut is saying Harrison by less than 10.

Goblins632011

Seems like this is another glorious season. ::)

I have a feeling Harrison might get the W, but not by much.

Harrison 21, Maumelle 14

PercussionMan

I don't know anything about Maumelle's team, but it seems to me like Harrison's team can be very explosive at times, if they are similar to last year (which, I think they have a lot of the same starters back).  Humphrey reminds me of the "do it all" QB that Alma use to have a couple years ago...was it Jensen?  I think Humphrey is probably a little more mobile, but both seemed to have that ultimate "passion for competitiveness".  I think Harrison wins by two TDs.

Bergman1820

I am going to go with Harrison by 21+. I think the Goblins playing SS and Alma has them well prepared for the 1st conference game of the season.

Drama Mama ™

Although a butt kicking like the Gobs took at the hands of Alma last week :) kind of deflates ones ego, it was probably one of the best reality checks they could experience coming into conference play.  Time to roll, brush it off and take care of business from here on out.  We have TONS of talent on both sides of the ball.  Time to go to work boys !   I pick the Gobs by 21.  Lets' do this . . . . . . . .

InYoGrill

I think Gobs roll strong in this one. Maumelle will beat Clarksville but I think the rest of the conference will be tough on them. IF Maumelle hangs within 10 then I think they may have a good chance at a 4 seed.

Go Postal

The Goblins have had some three good 6A vs 5A rivalry preconference games.  I'll call them the "Good, Bad and Ugly".  Great experience for Harrison.  Now 5A West conference season is about to start.  Anything can happen.  I'll go with the Goblins by 14.
Maumelle, have a safe trip here and back.

Goblins are watching you:

Goblin Fan base:

Warning to each West conference team:

Go Postal

For those fans from Maumelle that can't make the game, I believe GOBTV will be streaming the game.  Check around 7 pm.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/gobtvfootball

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: Go Postal on September 26, 2014, 06:14:02 pm
For those fans from Maumelle that can't make the game, I believe GOBTV will be streaming the game.  Check around 7 pm.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/gobtvfootball

Thanks for the link.  I was able to catch the 2nd half.  Hopefully your guys heal up pretty quick.  I think our guys that got banged up will be alright.  We could have a chance to rest some guys next week.  Harrison has a good ball team; just couldn't sustain a lot of drives without the running game, probably because Singleton played like a man possessed tonight.

Drama Mama ™

September 26, 2014, 11:10:02 pm #16 Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 11:11:33 pm by Drama Mama ™
Keep those heads up Gobs.......YOU ARE a better team than you showed everyone  tonight.  No analogy on what I just witnessed.  It is what it is.  There were some bright spots, and some really dark times out there tonight. No fluffing it up and making it sound better than it was. Fix it, learn from it, whatever it takes. 1 game down and plenty of time for redemption.  your fans believe 100 percent in you ! on a brighter note,  The booster club really should consider a beer garden by the concession stand...... just a thought !

Go Postal

September 26, 2014, 11:31:05 pm #17 Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 11:41:45 pm by Go Postal
Chief, hope everyone from Maumelle has a safe trip back.  You have a good ball team.  Plus, I don't know what was going on with the Jumbotron scoreboard not functioning properly.  Sorry about that Maumelle.  I thought I was in a Arkansas at Auburn game.  LOL!  Anyway, we have two away games coming up and hopefully they can fix whatever happened during that time.

Mama, you are right.  Learn from those mistakes.

My only concern on this game was that it was not the usual Goblin team that we have seen in the last three games.  Not sure what was going on, they seemed a little listless.  Not a good showing overall on the opening game with a new opponent.  Nothing against the Hornets, but I believed that we played better against the Airedales.  Whatever the problem was, Goblins get over it!  Move on.  I know that you can do better and let us prove it on the field.  I am always a fan of you and this is from a local rivalry "Since The Big Bang" team alumni.  GO GOBLINS!

side note:  DM, a beer garden would have been nice at this game. ;)

Drama Mama ™

yep.... beer garden would have been amazing !  😎🙈🙉🙊

Chief_Osceola™

From what I saw, and like I said in the post above, Maumelle forced Harrison to become one-dimensional.  It looked like the gameplan was to keep Harrison from running the ball.  The D-line really stepped up tonight, and that made it a little easier for our back seven.  I think keeping Harrison in 2nd and 3rd and long situations was a big key.  I gotta give the QB and receivers credit though - that QB is a tough kid and distributed the ball well, and from what I could tell the receivers run good routes.  Had the QB not been pressured so much, he probably would have been able to find more open receivers.  There was usually one running free every play.

Goblins632011

This coach is a joke.  These guys could win state, they are that good.  The head coach isn't.
Also, can we please bring back the Goblin on the helmets please!  These H's are UGLY and UNORIGINAL!

Goblins632011

Quote from: Drama Mama ™ on September 26, 2014, 11:10:02 pm
Keep those heads up Gobs.......YOU ARE a better team than you showed everyone  tonight.  No analogy on what I just witnessed.  It is what it is.  There were some bright spots, and some really dark times out there tonight. No fluffing it up and making it sound better than it was. Fix it, learn from it, whatever it takes. 1 game down and plenty of time for redemption.  your fans believe 100 percent in you ! on a brighter note,  The booster club really should consider a beer garden by the concession stand...... just a thought !

Beer garden....I like it.  It will give me something to help heal the pain.

Go Postal

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on September 26, 2014, 11:37:54 pm
From what I saw, and like I said in the post above, Maumelle forced Harrison to become one-dimensional.  It looked like the gameplan was to keep Harrison from running the ball.  The D-line really stepped up tonight, and that made it a little easier for our back seven.  I think keeping Harrison in 2nd and 3rd and long situations was a big key.  I gotta give the QB and receivers credit though - that QB is a tough kid and distributed the ball well, and from what I could tell the receivers run good routes.  Had the QB not been pressured so much, he probably would have been able to find more open receivers.  There was usually one running free every play.
and the Hornets did that very well and you have some good size on your team, but have you seen the size of the Airedale's players?  We ran and passed good against them.  So I'm still not sure of what was going on.  But this point is mute, you guys did good.  Good win.  What really shocked me tonight was how Morriton's defense stood up and kept Greenbrier from scoring.  Future reference for both of our teams. ;)

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: Go Postal on September 26, 2014, 11:54:55 pm
Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on September 26, 2014, 11:37:54 pm
and the Hornets did that very well and you have some good size on your team, but have you seen the size of the Airedale's players?  We ran and passed good against them.  So I'm still not sure of what was going on.  But this point is mute, you guys did good.  Good win.  What really shocked me tonight was how Morriton's defense stood up and kept Greenbrier from scoring.  Future reference for both of our teams. ;)

Without knowing anything about Alma, I have no doubt they are pretty big across the board, as they traditionally are.  Our speed on defense is typically what causes problems.  You probably won't face a better defensive back than Ingram the rest of the way.  And as you probably saw, we don't throw the ball downfield well, so I don't know how that will play out against Morrilton and Greenbrier.  We'll just have to continue playing well on the defensive side of the ball and take advantage of all our scoring chances, especially after getting turnovers.  The snaps have got to get better too.  We've had at least 3 red zone trips that have resulted in zero points due to bad snaps, and it happened again tonight. 

Anyway, Harrison will be in the hunt when it's all said and done.  You have too many good football players to not be.

Go Postal

Watching your guys playing tonight, I was telling my cousin on how much Maumelle resembled Alma and Morrilton.  Good luck in the rest of the season.  Saw tonight that Farmington lost to LRCA.  I will be looking at you guys and the Warriors to move up in the polls.  But watch out for those red-bellied Veagles with their double wing whatziz to upset a standing.  LOL.

Chief_Osceola™

The Coach

September 27, 2014, 02:24:39 am #26 Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 02:26:47 am by The Coach
Quote from: Goblins632011 on September 26, 2014, 11:43:18 pm
This coach is a joke.  These guys could win state, they are that good.  The head coach isn't.

Your the joke!!! It's ppl like you that think it's automatically the coaches fault that forget the KIDS have to go play and execute. But I'm sure you could do a better job.

Harrison has some talent but they are not even close talent wise to teams like PA, Wynne, Batesville etc.

Those teams are better at every position on the field. Those coaches work their tails off to try and win every game and have to put up with idiots that know nothing about coaching and teaching kids how to become better people and productive citizens.

Overdahill

Goblins632011

September 27, 2014, 12:49:29 pm #28 Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 01:02:14 pm by Goblins632011
Quote from: The Coach on September 27, 2014, 02:24:39 am

Your the joke!!! It's ppl like you that think it's automatically the coaches fault that forget the KIDS have to go play and execute. But I'm sure you could do a better job.

Harrison has some talent but they are not even close talent wise to teams like PA, Wynne, Batesville etc.

Those teams are better at every position on the field. Those coaches work their tails off to try and win every game and have to put up with idiots that know nothing about coaching and teaching kids how to become better people and productive citizens.

My class did a better job, at least we know what wins feel like.
IT is the COACH that calls the plays after all.

The Coach

Quote from: Goblins632011 on September 27, 2014, 12:49:29 pm

It's the KIDS that have to execute them. This program was struggling before Coach Harbison got the job. If they didn't want a change the community probably should've shut up and left Coach Tice alone. Which is what they need to do to Coach Harbison. But by all means keep spouting your  ignorance and like I said I'm sure you would be a better coach. You should apply for the job if it comes open!!

nomorewhining

I think the actual coaching is adequate...BUT....trying to be P.A. North, without PA's talent...isn't working....need a scheme and philosophy adjustment

Rockhounds x2

Well it's been a while! But I'm back! We do have some talented kids out there no question about it! As for PA Batesville and Wynne having better players at every position that's rediculous! Maybe 75% but not all. As for the coaching I see nothing wrong the kids have to exicute better! Alma laid out the blue print to stop our offense so we must find a way to overcome those schemes. I seen dropped passes, poor throws and bad blocking at times. There was oppertunity for our QB (my son) to tuck it and run! And a good pump fake will get the defenders to bite and we can get guys open!
I'm no expert but that's what I seen!  These guys are a fun bunch to watch. I'm out!

Intelligentsia

Quote from: nomorewhining on September 27, 2014, 09:57:50 pm
I think the actual coaching is adequate...BUT....trying to be P.A. North, without PA's talent...isn't working....need a scheme and philosophy adjustment

Exceptional programs are maintained as a result of exceptional effort from the coaches and players.  I don't care what philosophy coach employs, he has to sell the idea to the kids and the kids have to be willing to work hard, year round, 5 days per week during off season and 6 during the season in a well planned and implemented routine.  Oh, and there is more:)  To have really consistent success, you have to have a junior high program that embraces an only slightly lighter version of the high school program, with coaches willing to support the philosophy of the secondary coach.  Do those things and be ready to wait 3-5 years and you will have consistently successful program - not an occasional one or two year spurt of success many programs realize due to a small group of exceptional athletes. 

Overdahill

OGHSSupporter

Do not know much, but it seems to me that Harrison is trying to run an offense that does not fit the talent and athleticism of its players.  Somehow big, powerful offensive linemen should be going forward and not backwards, especially against the size and speed of the defensive linemen they faced on Friday night.

Hogskin

What is Harrisons record in conf since Tice left?

Jayepea

I'll bring my own beer & the band r u serious! This is FOOTBALL!

The Coach

September 28, 2014, 10:16:56 pm #37 Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 10:28:01 pm by The Coach
Quote from: Rockhounds x2 on September 27, 2014, 11:55:01 pm
We do have some talented kids out there no question about it! As for PA Batesville and Wynne having better players at every position that's rediculous! Maybe 75% but not all.

I'd say it's closer to 90-95% if not every position. Especially Wynne and PA and it's ridiculous to think the 2 best teams in 5a wouldn't be a lot better.

BigSportsman

September 29, 2014, 02:32:35 pm #38 Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 02:49:41 pm by BigSportsman
Quote from: The Coach on September 27, 2014, 01:22:10 pm

It's the KIDS that have to execute them. This program was struggling before Coach Harbison got the job. If they didn't want a change the community probably should've shut up and left Coach Tice alone. Which is what they need to do to Coach Harbison. But by all means keep spouting your  ignorance and like I said I'm sure you would be a better coach. You should apply for the job if it comes open!!

I agree the players have to execute!  However, if the Kids don't respect, or buy into the program, they aren't going to perform, at least not all of them...plain and simple.

A lot of the issue I see is that the coaches don't hold most of the kids accountable (especially starters) to the mistakes they make and don't adjust (enough) throughout the games.  Too many of the kids feel entitled and above the rules.

If your line isn't blocking the way they should...change them out to someone that can.  If the other team is making yards on the outside....make play changes to the LB or DE.  And for crying out loud, don't run the SAME PLAY 6+ times in a row until its dead and the opposing team knows exactly what you are doing!  On-side kicks...REALLY?!?! You think NO ONE can figure that one out!  How about teaching these kids how to actually wrap up when they hit instead of just hitting and/or pushing the guy with the ball?!

IMO, Seniors are running the team more than the coaches....its time the entire coaching staff grew a pair and held these kids to a higher standard of play and discipline.  Lets go back to old school football and show the other schools in our conference that the Harrison Goblins how to play hard nose football! 

Just my $.02....

The Coach

Quote from: BigSportsman on September 29, 2014, 02:32:35 pm
Quote from: The Coach on September 27, 2014, 01:22:10 pm

Too many of the kids feel entitled and above the rules.

I promise this is the case at Harrison.

Go Postal

Let's move on to the next game that I posted and give comments on that.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas