• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Greenbrier Vs Morrilton

Started by Bluepanther86, September 21, 2014, 02:45:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Bluepanther86

Thoughts about these two teams.. an what the out come might be

AT

It's an interesting game in the fact that Greenbrier is going to be the favorites against the defending state champs even though no conference games have been played yet. A lot of people say that non conference games don't mean anything, but that just isn't true. We can see that Morrilton isn't the same Devil Dog team as last year (as many predicted).

Morrilton has given up 42 points to Russellville, 43 to Pottsville, and 28 to Searcy. This does not bode well for the perception of Motown's defense this year. Especially against an offense that has scored 48, 46, and 32.

That being said, Morrilton has a good coach and have had unimpressive non conference showings in recent years only to come out and play very well in conference (not to this extent, though).

Since it's at Morrilton and I think they know how important this game is, I say Morrilton keeps it close for awhile and then Greenbrier pulls away.

Greenbrier 42
Morrilton 21

pantherblue

Greenbrier has played pretty well to this point. Benton is a good team this year with big numbers. Their new field is awesome and has drawn players out again. They deserved the win but greenbrier missed a few chances. I think greenbrier gets its first conference win by 15 42-27

MoTownDog

September 21, 2014, 05:20:08 pm #3 Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 05:58:23 pm by MoTownDog
If greenbrier fair catches every kick and never throws the ball then morrilton wins. 

pantherblue

Intelligentsia

The Future

Oldbadger

Considering their records and who they have played, I don't see how Morrilton can stay with the Panthers.  They gave Benton all they wanted.  GreenbriEr should win easily.

pantherblue

Don't know about easily but I think greenbrier wins this one

pantherblue

DevilPupMom

And the devil dog defense holds...

pantherblue

HorseFeathers

Hey pantherblue...remember that stat I gave you about Greenbrier scoring less than 35?? :D

MoTownDog

Intelligentsia

Quote from: MoTownDog on September 21, 2014, 05:20:08 pm
If greenbrier fair catches every kick and never throws the ball then morrilton wins.

^^Is This How Morrilton won :~?

PercussionMan

Quote from: pantherblue on September 26, 2014, 08:01:13 pm
And holds and holds

Don't want to hear it...I was there...Greenbrier held an awful lot that didn't get called. They got 3-4 first downs off of penalties against Morrilton. Morrilton got 0 first downs from penalties called against Greenbrier.

PercussionMan

Quote from: Intelligentsia on September 26, 2014, 10:37:27 pm

[/quote

They won it with good defense and a lot of heart...made Greenbrier make mistakes...made plays when it counted. They surprised a lot of folks, especially those who picked Greenbrier by 3-4 touchdowns.

Go Postal

Quote from: PercussionMan on September 27, 2014, 12:07:51 am

[/quote

They won it with good defense and a lot of heart...made Greenbrier make mistakes...made plays when it counted. They surprised a lot of folks, especially those who picked Greenbrier by 3-4 touchdowns.
I was very surprised on the final of this game between "old" 5A teams.  Almost as much on the Maumelle @ Harrison game.  Also surprised me was the LRCA/Farmington game.  I knew that Veagles would pull this out.  Wow!  West Conference champs are still wide open.  Stay tuned, six more games to go...

MoTownDog

September 27, 2014, 08:29:48 am #19 Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 08:31:23 am by MoTownDog
Morrilton is really good at improving every game.  I under estimated them.  I knew greenbrier wouldn't be able to run against our defense but I was told they had an awesome passing game which can be bad for our d-backs.  But all I saw was a bunch of quick passes at the receivers ankles.  It also appears like we have corrected our special teams play somewhat which was horrible the first 3 games.   We may have lost our quarter back for the year but at some point we are going to have to run more than 3 running plays and throw the ball

PercussionMan

Quote from: MoTownDog on September 27, 2014, 08:29:48 am
Morrilton is really good at improving every game.  I under estimated them.  I knew greenbrier wouldn't be able to run against our defense but I was told they had an awesome passing game which can be bad for our d-backs.  But all I saw was a bunch of quick passes at the receivers ankles.  It also appears like we have corrected our special teams play somewhat which was horrible the first 3 games.   We may have lost our quarter back for the year but at some point we are going to have to run more than 3 running plays and throw the ball
I absolutely agree with you. That same Greenbrier offense destroyed us at home two years ago. I'm proud of our team for stepping it up the way they did.
Any update on our QB? We need him desperately.

pantherblue

Hope your QB is okay. Hope our guy 45 is okay also. Haven't seen greenbrier play that bad in a while.

MoTownDog

Hang in there pantherblue.  The same thing happened to us last year with Alma.  We need you guys to beat maumelle and Harrison.   

pantherblue

They will bounce back. They are panthers!!

bobcat81

My take on the game - Morrilton played the better overall game but GB had the opportunity to put it away, and didn't, sort of like the Arkansas-Texas A&M game.
I think the keys were Morrilton rushed the ball well and controlled the clock, especially in the first half, they controlled GB's run well enough that it didn't open up the passing game for GB, and the Morrilton defensive backs defended well enough that the GB passing game didn't get into a rhythm.  To the very first point about putting it away, GB was leading 20-7 and had the ball late in the 3rd quarter.  Went for it on 4th down near midfield and failed.  Morrilton then scored on a long pass play early in the 4th.  (I think that's how they scored).  Then GB threw an interception at about the Morrilton 25.  Morrilton drove and had a 4th and 1 at the GB 25 or so and scored on 4th down.  Now down 21-20 GB nearly had a 3rd down completion late in the 4th at the Morrilton 25 and would have but the Morrilton defensive back laid a hit on the receiver to jar it loose.  GB then turned it over on downs and Morrilton scored on another 4th and 1 with 12 seconds left. 

Jayepea

InYoGrill

Jayepea

My evil plan seems to have worked.

The Future

Quote from: pantherblue on September 28, 2014, 12:10:33 am
They will bounce back. They are panthers!!

Of course they will. We all know how bouncy panthers can be :)

Go Postal

Quote from: bobcat81 on September 28, 2014, 09:20:43 pm
My take on the game - Morrilton played the better overall game but GB had the opportunity to put it away, and didn't, sort of like the Arkansas-Texas A&M game.
I think the keys were Morrilton rushed the ball well and controlled the clock, especially in the first half, they controlled GB's run well enough that it didn't open up the passing game for GB, and the Morrilton defensive backs defended well enough that the GB passing game didn't get into a rhythm.  To the very first point about putting it away, GB was leading 20-7 and had the ball late in the 3rd quarter.  Went for it on 4th down near midfield and failed.  Morrilton then scored on a long pass play early in the 4th.  (I think that's how they scored).  Then GB threw an interception at about the Morrilton 25.  Morrilton drove and had a 4th and 1 at the GB 25 or so and scored on 4th down.  Now down 21-20 GB nearly had a 3rd down completion late in the 4th at the Morrilton 25 and would have but the Morrilton defensive back laid a hit on the receiver to jar it loose.  GB then turned it over on downs and Morrilton scored on another 4th and 1 with 12 seconds left. 
Shoot, that sounds a lot like the Maumelle @ Harrison game.  Kind of.  Maumelle shut down our running game that Alma couldn't and held us to 376 on passing.  Watch out for them, Motown and Briar. 

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas