• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Greenbrier at Benton

Started by pantherblue, September 18, 2014, 10:01:44 am

Previous topic - Next topic

pantherblue

This should be a good test for Greenbrier.  Benton has played pretty solid tying rival Bryant in the Salt Bowl and then handing Jacksonville one of  their worst defeats maybe ever.   Thoughts and predictions?

centralarfan

I don't know much about GB. I have heard that GB's offense leans more toward the pass. I believe any team that can effectively pass the ball will give Benton a hard time. Benton DL and LB's are their strengths. The taller CB#19 is a big guy but cannot defend the pass and has problems tackling. CB#17 is fairly good. He has a knack of always being in position. However, he is extremely short and slow. They tend to blitz a lot which gave JVille problems the entire game. JVille's QB ran for his life the entire game. He turned the ball over at least 4 times during the game. Benton also has 3 big RB's. They are bruisers. However, I am not convinced they are the most effective bc they have yet to play the likes of PB,GW, or El Dorado team yet.  They did not perform so well against a huge DL like Bryant. Benton also runs a lot of screens that tend to lead to big gains. But most of their pass plays are only intended for maybe five yards. I believe it will be a good game if GB OL can hold up to take advantage of Benton CB's

pantherblue

Thanks centralarfan.  We have good size on the lines and a couple good running backs. Several good receivers and a couple good passing QB 's.   Looking forward to a great night of football.

Titan Spirit

centralarfan

Not so sure TS. I think it will boil down to the game plans and executions. Benton has not faced one decent QB this season. It definitely will be interesting to say the least.

Titan Spirit

I may be wrong but I don't think so. I have seen both teams and I think Benton is just as athletic and from what I can tell they play much more physical.

centralarfan

If you saw the Salt Bowl, Benton should have won that game easily. I think coaching was the biggest issue with that game. He only utilizes one player (#2) on offense. In order to be successful, he will have to spread the ball around more evenly. Benton has a hard time moving the ball at times. I know the score hasn't reflected it. But the schedule has been pretty soft thus far.

Titan Spirit

I would not call Bryant soft at all, they are a very competitive 7A school. You actually made a good point, they SHOULD have won that game easily. Greenbrier has looked pretty good I just don't think they have enough to keep up with Benton. It will be interesting to see the score in this one.

Oldbadger

I won't try to call the winner of this game since I don't know a lot about GB.  I do know that they run the spread and rely on the pass as someone else has said.  I have seen Benton play both games.  It may seem that #2 is utilized a lot, but in reality he isn't.  It just seems that way because he makes a lot of yards when he is utilized.  He is a playmaker.  There are several other good recievers for Benton but I don't know their names.  As a matter of fact, #2 has not scored a TD by recieveing, according to the news accounts.  The last game played against JVille, Benton had at least 6 different people score.  Benton will score a lot of points, the question is how many GB scores.  It may be a high scoring contest.  I feel like, however, GB won't score a lot.  A lot of turnovers for both teams GB played that led to easy points.  Will be a good game and I plan to be there.

centralarfan

I will try to make the game also . I do not think they will be truly tested until the last four games of the season. I hate that the schedule is set of that way. But it is in stone so who am I to complain about it.
TS, I expected more from Bryant's line. Those kids were huge compared to Benton's line. I was disappointed they weren't as dominate as I assumed they would be. I am not sure GB will be able to keep up with Benton either. I am just expecting a better game than the Jville game.
OldB, I only know a little more than you do. I just want to see a more competitive game. I also heard they are similar to PA. They rarely punt the ball on fourth downs. GB also goes for the 2pt. conversion just about every time. There are other receivers that are capable of making catches. But #2 Harris is the only playmaker in my opinion. They have 4 backs that can be used. You are correct that a lot of points were scored against JVille. I dont think its very hard to put up alot of points against any Pulaski County football team. My only concern with the victory is was the opponent. That is why I am so anxious to see what happens against  LH, PB, ELD, TX. I am hoping for a better game Friday night.

Oldbadger

Quote from: centralarfan on September 18, 2014, 04:58:31 pm
I will try to make the game also . I do not think they will be truly tested until the last four games of the season. I hate that the schedule is set of that way. But it is in stone so who am I to complain about it.
TS, I expected more from Bryant's line. Those kids were huge compared to Benton's line. I was disappointed they weren't as dominate as I assumed they would be. I am not sure GB will be able to keep up with Benton either. I am just expecting a better game than the Jville game.
OldB, I only know a little more than you do. I just want to see a more competitive game. I also heard they are similar to PA. They rarely punt the ball on fourth downs. GB also goes for the 2pt. conversion just about every time. There are other receivers that are capable of making catches. But #2 Harris is the only playmaker in my opinion. They have 4 backs that can be used. You are correct that a lot of points were scored against JVille. I dont think its very hard to put up alot of points against any Pulaski County football team. My only concern with the victory is was the opponent. That is why I am so anxious to see what happens against  LH, PB, ELD, TX. I am hoping for a better game Friday night.
+1

WingLover4Life

September 18, 2014, 05:40:52 pm #11 Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 05:53:46 pm by WingLover4Life
I haven't see Benton play in a couple if years, but I have seen Greenbrier and this should be a good game! Greenbrier has a good coach that has done a lot to develop the football program in the right direction!

pantherblue

Greenbrier is pretty deep. Should be a good game.

Bluepanther86

Talent wise, they both stack up evenly I believe. Benton has playmakers but what it truly boils down to is preparation an how bad they want it. Greenbrier is physical, don't say they aren't because they are. We have passed for 300 yards + one game an ran for 300+ the next that's true balance so Greenbrier isn't all pass they can get the run going too.. Defense is key here for GB. Stopping the run an quick pass game is key, if they can do that then Greenbrier wins. Should be a great game. Good luck both teams.

pantherblue

Both teams were solid...  Greenbrier started cramping up in the second half and fell off the wagon..  Very good game to watch.....

Oldbadger

Greenbriar is a very good, solid team.  QB is an excellent passer with lots of good recievers.  Oline is very good and protected the QB.  Impressed with the team.  I never felt comfortable until the last 3 minutes that Benton would win.  Great game to watch!

pantherblue

Thanks Oldbadger...  I think we have a good shot at another 5A west title this year...

centralarfan

It was a good game like I thought it would be. GB didn't have the depth needed and wore down. The red zone drive were they failed to score after the two PI were called was the beginning of the end. I think it would have helped tremendously to stop going for the 2pt conversion every time.

Oldbadger

Quote from: pantherblue on September 19, 2014, 11:21:19 pm
Thanks Oldbadger...  I think we have a good shot at another 5A west title this year...
No doubt about it!  Good luck!

pantherblue

What a great sports facility Benton has built. Love the new field and the entire complex.  It's awesome!!  They have more players out for football than the previous years I have seen them.  A team on the rise. 

bobcat81

Quote from: centralarfan on September 19, 2014, 11:40:12 pm
It was a good game like I thought it would be. GB didn't have the depth needed and wore down. The red zone drive were they failed to score after the two PI were called was the beginning of the end. I think it would have helped tremendously to stop going for the 2pt conversion every time.
Yeah, that was three times in the red zone, twice inside the 10, with no score.  That hurts.  That drive also taught me defensive pass interference is not an automatic first down any longer, if it ever was.  Even had the color commentators on the Benton internet broadcast confused.

On the 2 point conversions, GB has done that all year and had been successful about 90% of the time.  But Benton was ready for it and had the athletes to defend.

centralarfan

I was just as confused about PI. I was later told that pass interference in the red zone gets you half the distance to the goal and replay that down. That rule should be changed.  I would like to wish GB good luck the rest of the season. You guys have a good program. I was really surprised. Benton had their hands full the entire night. A group of well coached and hard working guys.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas