• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Batesville vs Jonesboro

Started by Intelligentsia, September 13, 2014, 09:26:41 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Intelligentsia

September 13, 2014, 09:26:41 am Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 09:31:43 am by Intelligentsia
Thoughts on Batesville's development and the upcoming game:  here are a few of mine.

After a powder puff game with Marion, the Pioneers have played two pretty decent teams, both a bit better, in my estimation, than the scores indicated.  Searcy was just big, fast, and diverse enough to provide a great learning opportunity for our young players while helping our upper classmen hone their skills. 

The Pioneers have made significant progress through the last two games and you could see them really grow in the game against Searcy.  Our QB really took over last night, throwing quite well and making good decisions about when to run, and he can really run well.  The receivers, especially Caraway, looked great. Not super speedy, but tall, great hands and smart.  Our primary running back played a great game - not that it was a great defense, more about his decision making - running with more conviction and patiently waiting for the openings to develop.  The offensive line looked more organized as the game progressed and the defense followed Coach Smith's adjustments, after a slow start, to completely shut down the opponent.

On to Jonesboro.  I love this series - Jonesboro is just enough bigger, faster, and deeper than Batesville to provide a great learning experience while not so much so that we risk getting a lot of players hurt.  Playing Conway as well as the did leaves me with the impreesion that they will be a quite tough; a team that will likely make another deep run in the playoffs.

Comments about my thoughts or the upcoming Jonesboro game.

walkingguy72396

I think this game is in Batesville, I'm thinking Batesville by 10.  I'll say 27-17.

playmaker04

ricepig

Quote from: walkingguy72396 on September 13, 2014, 09:46:31 am
I think this game is in Batesville, I'm thinking Batesville by 10.  I'll say 27-17.

Games in Jonesboro.

spongebob

Saw batesville last night. Very impressive. The game against Wynne will be possibly bigger than the state championship game. Batesville is too much for Jonesboro Friday.

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: spongebob on September 13, 2014, 01:51:27 pm
The game against Wynne will be possibly bigger than the state championship game.

It very well may be the title game preview.

Intelligentsia

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on September 13, 2014, 03:05:40 pm
Quote from: spongebob on September 13, 2014, 01:51:27 pm
The game against Wynne will be possibly bigger than the state championship game.

It very well may be the title game preview.

Hold-up there guys:)  Quite early for that talk!!  Lots of ball to play with the possibility of one or two key injuries making a big difference for either of these teams, especially for the Pioneers who graduated 21 players last year.  No, I just hope to enjoying watching the Pioneers make steady progress throughout the year - a trait of the King teams that make the season so enjoyable.  I love to win, but even more, I thoroughly enjoy watching these young men mature, gain confidence, take responsibility for their play, and grow as a team.  Of course, when they do those things, the wins follow.

chaingang

Being a 5A East homer as it is ....I think the Neers make Jonesboogie look like a ''DUST DEVIL'' 38-14

Uncle Ivan

September 13, 2014, 05:34:38 pm #8 Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 05:38:00 pm by Uncle Ivan
Quote from: Intelligentsia on September 13, 2014, 03:33:26 pm

Hold-up there guys:)  Quite early for that talk!!  Lots of ball to play with the possibility of one or two key injuries making a big difference for either of these teams, especially for the Pioneers who graduated 21 players last year.  No, I just hope to enjoying watching the Pioneers make steady progress throughout the year - a trait of the King teams that make the season so enjoyable.  I love to win, but even more, I thoroughly enjoy watching these young men mature, gain confidence, take responsibility for their play, and grow as a team.  Of course, when they do those things, the wins follow.

PA will be there, but other than that...?  The South looks weak with Fairview and everyone else, and Fairview is still a question mark.  The West is wide open; there's no stand out team.

michael2370

Since the series between Batesville and  Jonesboro was renewed i do not think Batesville has one.  Hopefully this will be the year they change that.  Batesville  27 Jonesboro 21

The_Pioneer

I only recall playing once so far...

ricepig

Quote from: The_Pioneer on September 16, 2014, 07:52:12 pm

Jonesboro has defeated Batesville the last two years.

The_Pioneer

ricepig

Intelligentsia

September 16, 2014, 11:32:17 pm #14 Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 11:33:54 pm by Intelligentsia
Quote from: ricepig on September 16, 2014, 08:22:11 pm
Quote from: The_Pioneer on September 16, 2014, 07:52:12 pm

Jonesboro has defeated Batesville the last two years.

Both very good games, BTW.  I expect the same this year with both coaches gaining additional valuable information they can use to help their team as they move into conference play.  This, especially valuable for the Pioneers whose young players need  to experience the kind of competition they will face in week 7 at Wynne. 

FD4

You know, I really see the B vs J game much like Leonard vs Hagler.  Two very good, well matched, well coached opponents looking to get that one shot inside that will seal the deal.  Should be a great game to watch.  As for Wynne, all I can say is this, The scrimmage against Searcy, laughable, no bench mark there.  The two games in the books, could have, If coach Hill was heartless, blanked the opponent and could have scored 100 on both teams.  But, you always have the guys needing to get in the game.  We have not been tested yet.  Looking forward to an opponent that will match up better. And I mean no disrespect to anyone anywhere, those are just the facts.

ricepig

Quote from: FD4 on September 17, 2014, 11:11:03 am
You know, I really see the B vs J game much like Leonard vs Hagler.  Two very good, well matched, well coached opponents looking to get that one shot inside that will seal the deal.  Should be a great game to watch.  As for Wynne, all I can say is this, The scrimmage against Searcy, laughable, no bench mark there.  The two games in the books, could have, If coach Hill was heartless, blanked the opponent and could have scored 100 on both teams.  But, you always have the guys needing to get in the game.  We have not been tested yet.  Looking forward to an opponent that will match up better. And I mean no disrespect to anyone anywhere, those are just the facts.

I agree about the game, Batesville is tons better than our 6A opponents in conference this year, I'll use it as a measuring stick. We'll have our hands full trying to win against our 7A foes this year, hopefully we can get a couple.

michael2370

Fd4 the opponents you have played have been horrible. . a 6a school who will probably go winless and a school the size of a 4 a class in Ark.

Intelligentsia

I really hope that we keep Jonesboro on our schedule - both programs are in good shape and it's a nice close game for both team's fans.  Given the current status of the programs and Jonesboros advantage in numbers, I suspect they will win 70% of the time, but the games should be competive.

ricepig

Quote from: Intelligentsia on September 17, 2014, 08:22:25 pm

I really hope that we keep Jonesboro on our schedule - both programs are in good shape and it's a nice close game for both team's fans.  Given the current status of the programs and Jonesboros advantage in numbers, I suspect they will win 70% of the time, but the games should be competive.

I wish we would add Wynne back to our schedule, both Batesville and Wynne are top programs and close. We dropped Wynne and Blytheville wanting to schedule 7A teams to prepare us for the playoffs, unfortunately, playing Conway and Fayetteville didn't/hasn't brought any victories. Now that way play NLR, Central, and Cabot, we don't need the non-conference 7A teams. I guess the hold up is we always want to open at ASU every year. I'm sure VV will opt-out of the opening game after next year, maybe Wynne would be willing to be the opening game opponent.

Intelligentsia

I'm not going to be able to make it Friday night but I plan to watch the rerun on Sunday.  I'm pulling for the pioneers but I'm most hopeful for an serious injury free and cleanly played game for both teams.

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: michael2370 on September 17, 2014, 02:59:38 pm
and a school the size of a 4 a class in Ark.

Yet one that has an enrollment bigger than Batesville's. 

C-Mac 73

ricepig

Quote from: C-Mac 73 on September 18, 2014, 07:09:12 am
Jonesboro 31-27

Probably a pretty good prediction, we'll score, just not sure we can stop a decent team.

NEASPORTSFAN

michael2370

Batesville by a field goal.  24-21

MHFAN

What radio stations will broadcast game?

The Future

ricepig

ricepig

The Future

Quote from: ricepig on September 19, 2014, 11:05:18 am
Quote from: The Future on September 19, 2014, 10:50:41 am
Batesville 42
Jonesboro 14

You willing to give me 28pts?

Just wait and see ricepig.
No one thought the Batesville Searcy game would be that big of a lopsided score. I picked 49-7. I know I know Jonesboro is gonna be better than Searcy. But still.
It might be slow to start, but I won't be surprised to see Batesville win big.
Then again.... I could be wrong  :D

ricepig

Quote from: The Future on September 19, 2014, 11:12:43 am
Quote from: ricepig on September 19, 2014, 11:05:18 am
Quote from: The Future on September 19, 2014, 10:50:41 am
Batesville 42
Jonesboro 14

You willing to give me 28pts?

Just wait and see ricepig.
No one thought the Batesville Searcy game would be that big of a lopsided score. I picked 49-7. I know I know Jonesboro is gonna be better than Searcy. But still.
It might be slow to start, but I won't be surprised to see Batesville win big.
Then again.... I could be wrong  :D

So, 28pts for $100? I win, you give the money to SWNA, you win, you collect from SWNA, haha. We shot are self in the foot against Conway, throwing a pick 6, another in the end zone, and turned it over on downs at their 12. We may loose, but it will be a 3 pts or less loss.

chaingang

Quote from: ricepig on September 17, 2014, 09:26:28 pm

I wish we would add Wynne back to our schedule, both Batesville and Wynne are top programs and close. We dropped Wynne and Blytheville wanting to schedule 7A teams to prepare us for the playoffs, unfortunately, playing Conway and Fayetteville didn't/hasn't brought any victories. Now that way play NLR, Central, and Cabot, we don't need the non-conference 7A teams. I guess the hold up is we always want to open at ASU every year. I'm sure VV will opt-out of the opening game after next year, maybe Wynne would be willing to be the opening game opponent.
I hope and pray we never schedule Jonesboro again...ever. They catch us down and out and drop us like a bad habit , and the excuse was we need to pick up better competition.......that being said, they go on to schedule Tech, Raiders and now Happy Valley. I'm sure the gates were good but i say Wynne travels just as good as they do......personally i hope you get stuck with West Side and Brookland the rest of your existence, it will serve you guys right. I would rather travel and play South Panola or LR Central than come back your way, or i like playing Batesville 3 times too...

ricepig

Quote from: chaingang on September 19, 2014, 01:14:28 pm

I hope and pray we never schedule Jonesboro again...ever. They catch us down and out and drop us like a bad habit , and the excuse was we need to pick up better competition.......that being said, they go on to schedule Tech, Raiders and now Happy Valley. I'm sure the gates were good but i say Wynne travels just as good as they do......personally i hope you get stuck with West Side and Brookland the rest of your existence, it will serve you guys right. I would rather travel and play South Panola or LR Central than come back your way, or i like playing Batesville 3 times too...
Somebody's feelings got hurt, haha.....

Uncle Ivan

Doubt Jonesboro wants any part of reviving that series.

ricepig

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on September 19, 2014, 05:13:44 pm
Doubt Jonesboro wants any part of reviving that series.

Yeah, a whole lot better than Conway or Fayetteville, smh......

SouthernerPride

Jonesboro barely wins this one thanks to some home cookin by the boys in the striped sweaters.

ricepig

Quote from: SouthernerPride on September 19, 2014, 05:27:43 pm
Jonesboro barely wins this one thanks to some home cookin by the boys in the striped sweaters.

I doubt they have sweaters on, 80 degrees. I doubt we need them, but I'm glad we have them if we do.

chaingang

Quote from: ricepig on September 19, 2014, 01:18:02 pm

Youre right ......in a 14 year span , Wynne was 11-2 and 1, there were alot of feelings hurt in Jonesboro. 

ricepig

Quote from: chaingang on September 19, 2014, 05:37:13 pm

Youre right ......in a 14 year span , Wynne was 11-2 and 1, there were alot of feelings hurt in Jonesboro.

What century was that?

ricepig

Entertaining game, Jonesboro could score about anytime they wanted to, unfortunately, our coach insists on passing when the other team can't stop the run. Batesville's QB is a dandy, and singlehandedly kept them in the game the first half. They lack of a running game hurt the Pioneer's, but the QB and WR's made plays. Good luck the rest of the season, you'll only see this type of speed again when you play Wynne.

chaingang

Quote from: ricepig on September 19, 2014, 05:51:08 pm

What century was that?
The one that ValleyView didn't play Football in.

ricepig

Quote from: chaingang on September 19, 2014, 11:11:03 pm

What century was that?

Nice to cheery pick what you need to, I have no idea when VV started football.

chaingang

Quote from: ricepig on September 19, 2014, 11:18:19 pm

What century was that?

VV started football 8 years ago.....Any reason Jonesboro needs them on the schedule is far from my undersanding........oh I forgot.....you guys needed the non-conference competition to help you play in 6A....I'm sorry I forgot. How did that Sacrificial Lamb Blood taste ?

ricepig

Quote from: chaingang on September 20, 2014, 01:04:36 am

What century was that?

VV started football 8 years ago.....Any reason Jonesboro needs them on the schedule is far from my undersanding........oh I forgot.....you guys needed the non-conference competition to help you play in 6A....I'm sorry I forgot. How did that Sacrificial Lamb Blood taste ?

I guess you're too stupid to understand what a crosstown game is? We play the first game against an area team at ASU in front of 8000-10000, when you can get that many interested in watching Wynne, give me a call. We replaced you with Conway on our schedule, definite improvement.

chaingang

Quote from: ricepig on September 20, 2014, 06:45:54 am

What century was that?

I guess you're too stupid to understand what a crosstown game is? We play the first game against an area team at ASU in front of 8000-10000, when you can get that many interested in watching Wynne, give me a call. We replaced you with Conway on our schedule, definite improvement.
I bet you any amount you want......the Conway gate was never as large as the Wynne gate.....we never  opened with you guys it was usually the 2nd or 3rd game.....i hope you get lots more crosstown rivals down the road to.......like Cash and Bono.  The Stupid one drooped us from the Canes schedule....

ricepig

Quote from: chaingang on September 20, 2014, 07:48:28 am

What century was that?

I bet you any amount you want......the Conway gate was never as large as the Wynne gate.....we never  opened with you guys it was usually the 2nd or 3rd game.....i hope you get lots more crosstown rivals down the road to.......like Cash and Bono.  The Stupid one drooped us from the Canes schedule....

Conway fills up the stands, we have to put their 250 member band on temporary seats. They are the second game, try reading the schedule.

chaingang

Quote from: ricepig on September 20, 2014, 08:13:49 am

What century was that?

Conway fills up the stands, we have to put their 250 member band on temporary seats. They are the second game, try reading the schedule.
That's a great ideal......we need to schedule Conway next year if they fill up the stands.....Because for sure the Hurry Cains never ever filled up our stands. Please come to week 7 and watch us play Batesville.....and get here early so you can call me '' STUPID '' to my face.....I would love it !

ricepig

Quote from: chaingang on September 20, 2014, 09:26:49 am
Quote from: ricepig on September 20, 2014, 08:13:49 am

What century was that?

That's a great ideal......we need to schedule Conway next year if they fill up the stands.....Because for sure the Hurry Cains never ever filled up our stands. Please come to week 7 and watch us play Batesville.....and get here early so you can call me '' STUPID '' to my face.....I would love it !

Alma Sonic?? The last time Wynne played in Jonesboro, there weren't too many on that side, I don't think your side was full when we played down there. Why would I care about Wynne/Batesville?

walkingguy72396

I think it was all about trying to keep Jonesboro money in Jonesboro.  Seems as if ASU, used to the site of more than one Friday night game.  Where did the Batesville game take place?

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas