• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Want a 5A playoff scenario disected? List it here.

Started by sevenof400, February 19, 2016, 07:13:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sevenof400

February 19, 2016, 07:13:42 pm Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 07:15:49 pm by sevenof400
Let's use this thread to keep an eye on any possible ties that may need breaking in any and all 5A conferences. 

At present, there is a 3 way tie in the 5A West Girls with Clarksville, Farmington, and Greenbrier with all teams at 5-6.

Looking at head to head first: 

Clarksville vs Farmington:  Round 4, Farmington won 53-42, Round 11, Clarksville won 42-38 
Farmington holds the H2H tiebreaker over Clarksville based on point differential

Clarksville vs Greenbrier:  Round 7, Clarksville won 53-46, Round 14 ______

Farmington vs Greenbrier:  Round 3, Greenbrier won 48-34, Round 10 Greenbrier won 44-31. 
Greenbrier holds the H2H tiebreaker over Farmington

sevenof400

For the final spot in the 5A South Girls, Lakeside vs DeQueen

Lakeside holds the H2H tiebreaker based on point differential

Lakeside won the round 1 matchup (51-46) while DeQueen won the round 8 matchup (60-59)
therefore Lakeside holds the head to head advantage on point differential. 

sevenof400

Looking at the 5A West Boys:

Morrilton is now at 8-4
LRCA is also at 8-4
Vilonia is now at 6-6

Let's keep this simple.

Morrilton has secured a playoff bid because even if they lose their last two games and finish tied with Vilonia, Morrilton holds the head to head tiebreaker with Vilonia based on point differential of +2 (Morr beat Vil by 5 in round 5, lost by 3 in round 12).

Vilonia CANNOT push Morrilton out.

But Vilonia CAN push LRCA out. 

Vilonia must win its last two games (at LRCA, vs Farmington)
LRCA must lose its last two games (vs Vilonia, at Morrilton).

If that happens, Vilonia would advance because they would have swept LRCA.

hogfan7

What is the 5A East Girls scenario?  Could someone elaborate?

MikeDiesel™

Quote from: hogfan7 on February 23, 2016, 11:40:22 am
What is the 5A East Girls scenario?  Could someone elaborate?

Those top 3 teams have a perfect triangle, with each team splitting with the other two teams.
So, unless I am missing something, the 1 seed would go to a coin flip between Batesville and Nettleton (assuming that Batesville, Nettleton, and GCT all max out their points for these last 2 games). 

The loser of that coin flip would then be matched against GCT.   GCT holds the tiebreaker on points with Nettleton, and Batesville holds the tiebreaker with GCT.

1. Nettleton or Batesville
2. GCT or Batesville
3. GCT or Nettleton
4. Paragould or Valley View (will be determined after Thursday's game.  Valley View beat Paragould by 20 early in the season.  If Paragould wins by 10+, and both teams max out tonight, then this could come down to a coin flip also.

hogfan7

Quote from: MikeDiesel™ on February 23, 2016, 01:10:07 pm
Those top 3 teams have a perfect triangle, with each team splitting with the other two teams.
So, unless I am missing something, the 1 seed would go to a coin flip between Batesville and Nettleton (assuming that Batesville, Nettleton, and GCT all max out their points for these last 2 games). 

The loser of that coin flip would then be matched against GCT.   GCT holds the tiebreaker on points with Nettleton, and Batesville holds the tiebreaker with GCT.

2. GCT or Batesville
3. GCT or Nettleton
4. Paragould or Valley View (will be determined after Thursday's game.  Valley View beat Paragould by 20 early in the season.  If Paragould wins by 10+, and both teams max out tonight, then this could come down to a coin flip also.
Thank you for this information  :)

MikeDiesel™

Quote from: hogfan7 on February 23, 2016, 01:13:46 pm
Thank you for this information  :)

I'm not promising it is correct.  But, I think I went through all the scenarios up to the coin flip on the top 3.

sevenof400

Let me add a couple of items to Mike's analysis:

Batesville vs GCT - Round 7, Batesville 69, GCT 57 (Batesville +10) and Round 12, GCT 38, Batesville 37 (GCT +1)
                            Batesville holds a direct head to head tiebreaker over GCT based on point differential (Batesville +9)

GCT vs Nettleton - Round 2, GCT 49, Nettleton 40 (GCT +9), Round 9, Nettleton 50, GCT 45 (Nettleton +5)
                           GCT holds a direct head to head tiebreaker over Nettleton based on point differential (GCT +4)

Batesville vs Nettleton - Round 5, Batesville 65, Nettleton 52 (Batesville +10),
                                   Round 10, Nettleton 50, Batesville 38 (Nettleton +10)
                                   No team holds a direct head to head tiebreaker based solely on head to head results.

I thought this was worth mentioning in case of potential two way ties between these teams. 

sevenof400

Friday 5A West Boys - for the 4th seed.

LRCA must beat Morrilton OR Vilonia loss to Farmington for LRCA to secure the 4th seed.

Vilonia must beat Farmington AND needs Morrilton to beat LRCA. 

Go Postal

Quote from: sevenof400 on February 23, 2016, 09:19:58 pm

LRCA must beat Morrilton OR Vilonia loss to Farmington for LRCA to secure the 4th seed.

Does the Eagles have anything left in their Zebra fund to give it to the Devil Dogs so that they could use it?  LOL!

Chief_Osceola™

February 23, 2016, 11:02:59 pm #10 Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 11:02:11 am by Chief_Osceola™
Quote from: sevenof400 on February 19, 2016, 07:13:42 pm
Let's use this thread to keep an eye on any possible ties that may need breaking in any and all 5A conferences. 

At present, there is a 3 way tie in the 5A West Girls with Clarksville, Farmington, and Greenbrier with all teams at 5-6.

Looking at head to head first: 

Clarksville vs Farmington:  Round 4, Farmington won 53-42, Round 11, Clarksville won 42-38 
Farmington holds the H2H tiebreaker over Clarksville based on point differential

Clarksville vs Greenbrier:  Round 7, Clarksville won 53-46, Round 14 ______

Farmington vs Greenbrier:  Round 3, Greenbrier won 48-34, Round 10 Greenbrier won 44-31. 
Greenbrier holds the H2H tiebreaker over Farmington

Edit: Nevermind, either Clarksville or Greenbrier will finish 6-8 since they play Friday.  The loser of that game will be eliminated.

Ron Mexico

2. GCT or Batesville
3. GCT or Nettleton

Would Batesville not be the 1 seed based on total points in conference wins? Then Nettleton 2 and GCT 3 based on said points?

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: Ron Mexico on February 23, 2016, 11:31:17 pm
Would Batesville not be the 1 seed based on total points in conference wins? Then Nettleton 2 and GCT 3 based on said points?

Ron Mexico?!

http://youtu.be/RrAIL9MlWJY

MikeDiesel™

Quote from: Ron Mexico on February 23, 2016, 11:31:17 pm

Total points doesn't determine a tie. It just determines which two teams to compare in head-to-head games 1st

mijally

Quote from: sevenof400 on February 23, 2016, 09:19:58 pm

If LRCA wins by 5 or more they would be the 3 seed and Morrilton 4 correct?  What if they win by 4 the same margin Morrilton won the first matchup?

sevenof400

Quote from: mijally on February 24, 2016, 02:55:23 pm
If LRCA wins by 5 or more they would be the 3 seed and Morrilton 4 correct?  What if they win by 4 the same margin Morrilton won the first matchup?

Since in Round 7, Morrilton beat LRCA by 4, should LRCA beat Morrilton by more than 4 in Round 14, they would hold the head to head tiebreaker over Morrilton based on point differential. 

If LRCA should win by exactly 4, rock - paper - scissors will break out immediately at half court....  8)

sevenof400

Now let's continue with the assumption that LRCA beats Morriton by exactly four points. 

Head to head would be a push.
We would then look at tiebreaker points. Because LRCA has 59 tiebreaker points at present, and Morrilton 58, LRCA would with this tiebreaker if it got this far because LRCA would then have 63 tiebreaker points (better than Morrilton's 58).

sevenof400

With respect to the 5A East girls, it will be important for each team to win, and to win by at least 10 points if they want to maximize their chances for a state playoff bid. 

Friday is going to be interesting, to say the least.....and not just in the East.

mijally

I got a proposal that is better than all this mess. The state tournamemt is diluted with too many classifications. It's not special. Too many teams that don't belong. You should be the best in your district then your region and then you have the honor of state tournament.  5-7a should be combined by region.   1 champion.

hogfan7

Quote from: mijally on February 24, 2016, 08:20:58 pm
I got a proposal that is better than all this mess. The state tournamemt is diluted with too many classifications. It's not special. Too many teams that don't belong. You should be the best in your district then your region and then you have the honor of state tournament.  5-7a should be combined by region.   1 champion.
I disagree.  The larger schools have more athletes to choose from.  Especially 7A.  I think the larger schools should remain separated.

mijally

Quote from: hogfan7 on February 25, 2016, 08:31:35 am
I disagree.  The larger schools have more athletes to choose from.  Especially 7A.  I think the larger schools should remain separated.
It's basketball. School size doesn't guarantee success. You don't need large numbers to be good.  5 of the top 10 teams are 5a. They can compete. Having over half the teams in a specific classification in a state tournament is a joke.

Coachbanks12

I agree that would be Special. You could win 5a and then win State that would be some good games

sportsguy80

This reminds me of the days of the overall championship games winner takes all.

kingoftherapids

The last 20 years of the overall state championship was won by these schools. basketball is basketball. it doesnt matter how many players you have in your school. if you got the horses, you can run in the big race. ask california chrome this. ask conway st. joseph this when i was a senior. they beat our butts and we were 3 classifications over them. granted they were like 18-1 coming into our second game of the year. like playing hoosiers. back pick after back pick after screen after perfect pass. trust me. if you dont think stephens could have contended for an overall state championship in the late 90 and early 2000s, then i give up. those teams were incredible. so was caddo hills. i think they lost barely to central in the finals of the overall. caddo hills was like class B at the time.
Dermott 1986
Gurdon 1982
Pardale 1979

hogfan7

Well, have a state champion in each division and bring back the overall tourney.

sportsguy80

Quote from: hogfan7 on February 25, 2016, 01:48:50 pm
Well, have a state champion in each division and bring back the overall tourney.
I would like that because over the last 20 so years I think some of smaller schools might have had a legit shot. Even just to see the competive games would be worth admission.

mijally

That doesn't keep the weak teams out. Too many classifications. I would have div 1 of top 64 teams. Or 5a and above. Div 2 4a and below. D1 would have 4 regions of 16 teams East, west, south, central. They break down very well geographically too. Each region has 4 districts of 4. Top 2 in district go to regionals. Winner of regional goes to final four. Imagine a Fayetteville Jonesboro Parkview Hot Springs final four?  Or maybe Bentonville Forrest City El Dorado Mills. The regional match ups would be some good basketball.

sevenof400

Let's see if we can make sense of the 5A East mess. 

Since this is a 3 way tie, we will move to paragraph C of the tie breaking procedures click here

Batesville 112
Nettleton 106
GCT 101

This means Batesville and Nettleton are matched up first. 
NEITHER TEAM HOLDS A DIRECT HEAD TO HEAD ADVANTAGE. (See below)
By virtue of their greater tiebreaker points, I believe Batesville is the #1 seed.

That leaves Nettleton and GCT.

GCT holds a direct head to head advantage over Nettleton (see below) so GCT should be the 2 seed. 
Nettleton the 3 seed.

Quote from: sevenof400 on February 23, 2016, 05:32:02 pm
Let me add a couple of items to Mike's analysis:

Batesville vs GCT - Round 7, Batesville 69, GCT 57 (Batesville +10) and Round 12, GCT 38, Batesville 37 (GCT +1)
                            Batesville holds a direct head to head tiebreaker over GCT based on point differential (Batesville +9)

GCT vs Nettleton - Round 2, GCT 49, Nettleton 40 (GCT +9), Round 9, Nettleton 50, GCT 45 (Nettleton +5)
                           GCT holds a direct head to head tiebreaker over Nettleton based on point differential (GCT +4)

Batesville vs Nettleton - Round 5, Batesville 65, Nettleton 52 (Batesville +10),
                                   Round 10, Nettleton 50, Batesville 38 (Nettleton +10)
                                   No team holds a direct head to head tiebreaker based solely on head to head results.

I thought this was worth mentioning in case of potential two way ties between these teams.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas