• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

5A West Boys

Started by Cajun Hog, August 05, 2015, 08:45:32 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Cajun Hog

Preseason Team Recap:

How many starters back?

Did you get any move in's or lose any kids?

What's your expectations for this season.

Chief_Osceola™

Maumelle should be pretty good again.  We lost several good players but have a good group returning.

sevenof400

I do know Vilonia got a lot smaller this offseason with the graduation of our big post and the transfer of another of our trees. 

Cajun Hog

Quote from: sevenof400 on August 08, 2015, 07:47:52 pm
I do know Vilonia got a lot smaller this offseason with the graduation of our big post and the transfer of another of our trees.

You had like 6 of them. 😀

Batman44

Quote from: Cajun Hog on August 10, 2015, 10:41:53 pm

Who was the transfer? Where, and why?

Cajun Hog

Quote from: Batman44 on August 12, 2015, 04:19:29 pm
Quote from: Cajun Hog on August 10, 2015, 10:41:53 pm

Stanley kid moved to Cabot.

Who was the transfer? Where, and why?

sevenof400

As Cajun Hog mentioned, Stanley transferred and Brown graduated. Brown was our go to post player last season and will be hard to replace as he had quite the breakout year.

Cajun Hog

Quote from: sevenof400 on August 13, 2015, 07:10:05 am
As Cajun Hog mentioned, Stanley transferred and Brown graduated. Brown was our go to post player last season and will be hard to replace as he had quite the breakout year.

Brown will be a BIG loss for the Eagles, he was a very good player.

sevenof400

Quote from: Cajun Hog on August 13, 2015, 08:19:52 am
Quote from: sevenof400 on August 13, 2015, 07:10:05 am

Brown will be a BIG loss for the Eagles, he was a very good player.

He really improved from his junior to his senior year - developing some range and touch around the rim.  In his junior year, if he was much outside of three feet from the basket his shooting percentage dropped markedly.  In his senior year, he was money in the low post developing an assortment of moves.  It was certainly fun to watch his development. 

Cajun Hog

I'm hearing Casey Benton is at a Prep School and won't be with Clarksville team this year.

Rockhounds x2

Harrison will be absolutely loaded this year with talent but they may be a year away! The sophomore and junior classes are loaded! If they can all co-exist look out next year for sure!

sevenof400

Quote from: Rockhounds x2 on September 18, 2015, 04:45:18 pm
Harrison will be absolutely loaded this year with talent but they may be a year away! The sophomore and junior classes are loaded! If they can all co-exist look out next year for sure!

Don't we hear this every year??    ;D

Rockhounds x2

Not from me!!! These two classes are very good

vtowneagles

September 23, 2015, 09:02:33 am #13 Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 09:33:18 am by vtowneagles
Charlie Thomas! Remember the name! 6'7 very very strong! Good feet around the rim. Was told he had couple D2 colleges come look at him this fall

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: Cajun Hog on September 05, 2015, 06:42:50 pm
I'm hearing Casey Benton is at a Prep School and won't be with Clarksville team this year.

You heard right Cajun Hog.  I don't know who they had around him, but that is a huge loss for Clarksville.

Also I'm hearing good things about Maumelle this year.

Redfiretruck

Vilonia loses 3 starters, one being 25% of last seasons scoring output. They gain a rather weak freshman class. If we have as much success as last season, then you can credit it to a weaker conference. Charlie Thomas is looking much improved. The big aggressive kid is filling into his huge body, rather nicely. As Vtowneagles said, his feet are looking great. He's developed a left. Greer is an outstanding shooter and improving attacking the rim. His downfall is a basketball IQ, along with most of the team, unfortunately. Newell is an elite 3 point shooter, and will be the bell cow handling the ball. The Berry brothers are both great athletes, but lack skill for the most part. Vilonia will have a very weak bench this year. But excited to see how they fair against a weakened 5A-West.

sevenof400

If Thomas can improve from his junior season to his senior season as Garrett Brown did last year, the post will be in good hands. 

bobcats

How are Morrilton boys expected to be this year?

Cajun Hog

Prediction Time:

1. Little Rock Christian (loaded)
2. Maumelle
3. Harrison
4. Morrilton
5. Farmington
6. Vilonia
7. Greenbrier
8. Clarksville 

The 4-8 is really tough to predict but any injury's could change this around.

Jock

I pretty much agree with Cajun Hog, although I'd put GBrier a little higher and Harrison a little lower.

Although LRCA finished near the bottom last season, they return all 5 starters, including a senior All-State and a senior All-Conf. Also add in a 6'10" transfer from Texas, plus D1 football committ Damarea Crockett, and bring up some exceptional young talent. Expect a deep bench with some senior leaders on the court this year.

Maumelle seems loaded with talent again this season, look for them to put up many W's. 

sevenof400

Serious question here: are you sure the D1 commit will play basketball? 

With a D1 football commitment in hand, we have previously seen players not play their senior year of basketball.

Jock

Crockett says he's gonna play, even played league ball with the team after committing to Boise State. Also passed up some football camps over the summer to play AAU... he loves hoops. But u right, if the Boise State HC says no bball, he's the type kid to fall in line and sit it out. I guess we'll know soon enough. 

mijally

VB Maumelle 73 Baptist Prep 67
VG Maumelle 74 Baptist Prep 51

Vteagle

I know it is early but, um .....Vtown boys beat McClellan yesterday by 5!

Baller100

How good are the Morrilton boys suppose to be this year? I've heard good and bad things about them.

Gob-Fan

Harrison looked good tonight as they beat Springdale-Harber 58-55.

Jock

Quote from: Vteagle on November 15, 2015, 02:33:14 pm
I know it is early but, um .....Vtown boys beat McClellan yesterday by 5!

McClellan graduated best player by far last year, D1 UMASS Starter Keith Hayes. they also missing some football guys on the court right now that should contribute. However, a Vilonia win over McClellan is very impressive this early, and should give Eagle fans something to be excited for this season.

Vteagle

Vtown boys win 75-49 over BB!

Gob-Fan

Harrison beat Branson 59-29 tonight.

Razorback Red

November 29, 2015, 08:23:51 am #29 Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 07:15:15 pm by Razorback Red
Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on August 07, 2015, 10:39:01 am
Maumelle should be pretty good again.  We lost several good players but have a good group returning.

Hey Chief,
I don't get to see a lot of 5A teams, but did get to see Maumelle last night in the Bentonville showcase and I was very impressed.  They have speed and athleticism all over the court, and solid depth.  #1 can jump out of the gym and he will be a force in conf.  Maumelle had great ball movement, which to me was a sign of good coaching.  I don't know anything about the rest of the 5A, but Maumelle will not be an easy win for anyone. 

Chief_Osceola™

Thank you sir. I know going into this season Coach Shook was pretty excited about this group. As long as we keep up our good guard play I think we'll be alright. I can't remember if #1 is Shaun Williams or Demarian Johnson, but both are really good athletes and ball players.

sevenof400

Quote from: Razorback Red on November 29, 2015, 08:23:51 am
Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on August 07, 2015, 10:39:01 am

Hey Chief,
I don't get to see a lot of 5A teams, but did get to see Maumelle last night in the Bentonville showcase and I was very impressed.  They have speed and athleticism all over the court, and solid depth.  #1 can jump out of the gym and he will be a force in conf.  Maumelle had great ball movement, which to me was a sign of good coaching.  I don't know anything about the rest of the 5A, but Maumelle will not be an easy win for anyone.

I'll say this for Maumelle - I've watched their junior high program for the last couple of seasons and the prep work done at that level pays dividends when those plays reach the senior high level.  The junior high plays fast and furious (which is to their strength), forces a frenetic game pace and will contest every pass and shot.  They play the game hard but it is fun to watch.  Maumelle will be a tough out for any team. 

Chief_Osceola™

November 30, 2015, 08:07:54 am #32 Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 01:43:15 pm by Chief_Osceola™
Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on November 29, 2015, 07:02:38 pm
Thank you sir. I know going into this season Coach Shook was pretty excited about this group. As long as we keep up our good guard play I think we'll be alright. I can't remember if #1 is Shaun Williams or Demarian Johnson, but both are really good athletes and ball players.

Never mind I was wrong - #1 is Tyric Robinson (sp?). Williams is #3 & DJ is #4.

mijally

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on November 30, 2015, 08:07:54 am

Never mind I was wrong - #1 is Tyreek Robinson (sp?). Williams is #3 & DJ is #4.
Actually Chief #1 is Tremont Robinson.  He is a junior and extremely talented.

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: mijally on November 30, 2015, 10:10:01 am
Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on November 30, 2015, 08:07:54 am

Never mind I was wrong - #1 is Tyreek Robinson (sp?). Williams is #3 & DJ is #4.
Actually Chief #1 is Tremont Robinson.  He is a junior and extremely talented.

Yes that's right - I had a brain fart.  Ty is a sophomore.

Go Postal

Quote from: Rockhounds x2 on September 18, 2015, 04:45:18 pm
I was looking at the Harrison roster and it looks like there is 1 Senior, 7 Juniors and 9 Sophomores on the boys side with 3 Seniors, 5 Juniors and 5 Sophomores on the girls side.  Can't wait to see how they do this season and the next two seasons.

Baller100

Harrison I believe only loses 2 after this year. Gonna be a good next few seasons

Elvis Hoggoblin

Quote from: Baller100 on November 30, 2015, 09:39:12 pm
Harrison I believe only loses 2 after this year. Gonna be a good next few seasons

Harrison only has 1 Senior

Chief_Osceola™

Maumelle has looked very good so far.  They're currently 6-1, with our loss coming by 3 points to Bryant.  Each of their wins have been by double digits, with 11 being the closest margin of victory, and most spreads have been 20-30 points.

Here's what they've done so far:

Maumelle - 99
N. Pulaski - 63

Maumelle - 99
Wynne - 66

Maumelle - 93
Hickman (MO) - 70

Maumelle - 77
CAC - 50

Maumelle - 71
Bryant - 74

Maumelle - 80
LR Catholic - 69

Maumelle - 99
Sylvan Hills - 66

99 seems to be our favorite number.

Ponca

Harrison is real deal folks. Yes, only one Senior, but this team is not a year away. They are primed for a State run this year. Don't forget Trevor "Local Flavor" Atwell is a 3 year starter as a Junior and he came into this season an absolute beast. The kids committed themselves to an off-season Cross-fit program. Local Flavor is fit. The other key Juniors (Marseilles and Curry) went from skinny sophs to cut Juniors. I've seen all their games either in person or on Gob Vision. They're 4-0. 5-0 if you count the benefit game win over Harber and have beat some really legit teams. The Broken Arrow OK team they beat is as good as anyone in Arkansas. Only weakness is Local Flavor is the main man. Needs to stay out of foul trouble that has plagued him last two seasons. But so far, he's done the job. Can score from anywhere on the court. So not a year away... possibly a back-to-back team. Look out folks. These Gobs are good!

Ponca

Cool story to read again... from probably best Goblin team in history. This year's Goblin team has shot to be as good or better. The Harrison rivalry with Branson is good times. Beat Avery Dingman (finished his career at Creighton and now playing pro ball overseas) twice that year. This season's Goblin team smoked Branson by 30.

http://bransontrilakesnews.com/sports_free/article_0caf1c42-024d-11e0-a9e7-001cc4c002e0.html

Chief_Osceola™

I'm looking forward to this Friday - PA comes to Hornet Gymnasium. I'm eager to see how our guards handle Korita. There's gonna be a LOT of talent on the floor. I expect a shootout.

AT

Will the 5A West be absolutely loaded this year or what?

Harrison has maybe their best team ever.

Vilonia has maybe their best team ever?

Maumelle looks to be very good.

Little Rock Christian looks to be very good.

Farmington looks to be improved and competitive again.

I don't know much about Greenbrier.

I know Clarksville lost Benton to transfer.

And I can't speak to Morrilton either, but they usually have a competitive team.

VHSCoach2

Vilonia boys improve to 5-2 on the season with a win over Conway in the Cabot Tournament this evening. Vilonia will meet Cabot (I think) in the finals on Saturday evening.

Go Postal

December 11, 2015, 07:54:15 am #44 Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 08:01:11 am by Go Postal
A Goblin fan said that he had seen Maumelle this year and said that they are the "real deal".

Harrison had their first loss to North Little Rock last night.  They could have won because it wasn't as much as getting beaten by the other team but beating yourself due to many self inflicted turnovers and missed FTs.  You can't beat yourself and win the West doing that in this conference.  Other than those mistakes, they seem like a great team.  I agree with Ponca about this team.  I think that Harrison's young teams will surprise a few people in the next few years, not only in basketball, but in football and other sports.  Good athletes coming up from Jr High in multisports plus the experience that the juniors and sophomores have been getting.  I also hear that we got a couple of great foreign exchange student athletes this year to enhance the boy's soccer team. ;)

mijally

The foreign exchange program has been very good to Maumelle the last few years.

mijally

Chief_Osceola™

Quick rundown - the game was never really in doubt after halftime. A quick run put the lead at 19 early in the 3rd quarter, and I don't think PA was ever able to get it back to single digits. Shawn Williams was on fire tonight. I counted 6 threes, with a couple from 25 feet. Our guard play was pretty good, but we got sloppy a few times after getting big leads. For PA, I was impressed with #23. He was able to consistently drive to the basket and get some easy buckets. And he drew a lot of fouls, and made all of his free throws. Korita got his points, but had an off shooting night. I think he hit one three at the end of the first quarter, but not much after that. It didn't look to me like he was trying to create a lot of open looks. I think he ended up with 18 or 20, but most of that came from the free throw line. I will say this - he's a savvy player, and was able to drive and draw fouls like 23.

All in all, PA has a good team, but Maumelle just had too much quickness, athleticism, and better perimeter shooting. I think we had 4 guys in double figures. PA didn't seem to have a lot of scoring threats outside of Korita and 23.

vtowneagles

This Vilonia team is not even close to as good as they were last year. Very very very very 10x very inconsistent

P.F.G.

Man I'm ready to be back in the 5A . This board has more quality basketball post.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas