• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2018 Outlook: The Frest Start......again.

Started by AirWarren, December 06, 2017, 01:49:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

beach bum

Huh? So we are seriously ripping up the turf? I am a natural grass guy, but this is so strange if true. Any of you guys have another example of this happening at any other big school where they get turf only to go back natural? If we have the turf might as well keep it.

Trojanbird

From what I understand, the turf is about to hit it's 10 year life cycle and will need to be replaced anyway due to being worn down/out.  This is something that I hope all of the high schools with turf have budgeted!

Cabotfan

Quote from: Trojanbird on May 29, 2018, 10:42:21 pm
From what I understand, the turf is about to hit it's 10 year life cycle and will need to be replaced anyway due to being worn down/out.  This is something that I hope all of the high schools with turf have budgeted!

So all of that $$ that you are supposed to be saving on maintenance for the turf field, you better be saving to replace that turf every 10 years or so.

AirWarren

Quote from: Cabotfan on May 30, 2018, 08:06:34 am
So all of that $$ that you are supposed to be saving on maintenance for the turf field, you better be saving to replace that turf every 10 years or so.

Bingo. Look at war memorials turf. It looks bad.

Most high schools have to replace that turf every 10 years.

gameoflife

Isn't it odd, for years all you heard was that turf would pay for itself over time: less maintenance, higher use without fear of hurting field.  Now we hear it cost more to keep it than just going grass to begin with.  Somebody wasn't honest.  Best thing about grass is it is not as hot on the field during games. 

AirWarren

Quote from: gameoflife on May 30, 2018, 10:31:52 am
Isn't it odd, for years all you heard was that turf would pay for itself over time: less maintenance, higher use without fear of hurting field.  Now we hear it cost more to keep it than just going grass to begin with.  Somebody wasn't honest.  Best thing about grass is it is not as hot on the field during games. 

I think this is 95% coach preference.

I imagine money is no issue for them up there.....turf or Bermuda. The SEC network promised that.

Valleysports

AirWarren

footballfan-tastic

LOL!  Turf or grass?  How many games is that going to be the deciding factor?

Valleysports

So y'all going to play football after 2018?  Arkansas #53 while Alabama and A&M are at 1 and 2.  Like other teams have 13-14, 4/5 star comitts. Hogs 4, 3 stars. This has to change.

Valleysports

June 17, 2018, 12:03:28 pm #310 Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 06:32:08 am by Valleysports
Arkansas moves up to #52, 2019 recruits. Alabama, A&M, LSU top 5. Auburn & Ole Miss top 15.  Go Hogs!

Valleysports

One of the questions Morris was asked on media day was whos Arkansas Rival. He spoked some filler for a moment then made a great save "Arkansas'rival is ourselves". There is more truth to that than he knows!

footballfan-tastic

Quote from: Valleysports on July 18, 2018, 10:56:21 pm
One of the questions Morris was asked on media day was whos Arkansas Rival. He spoked some filler for a moment then made a great save "Arkansas'rival is ourselves". There is more truth to that than he knows!

A friend told me he struggled with that question, "who's Arkansas Rival".. Really?  He didn't go in with a prepped answer?   Sounds like he should have done a little more prep before media day.    Key for Morris is recruiting right now. I think most would agree to that.  Next is coaching.  You win with talent and he better get some top level guys.  Coaching, well without talent it doesn't matter much but from what I've seen they are doing what lots of teams are doing, nothing new in the football world just new to Arkansas.

bulldoghistorian

My game by game predictions:
Vs Eastern Illinois (W)
At Colorado State (W)
Vs North Texas (W)
At Auburn (L)
Vs Texas A&M at Dallas (L)
Vs Alabama (L)
Vs Ole Miss at Little Rock (W)
Vs Tulsa (W)
Vs Vanderbilt (W)
Vs LSU (L)
At Mississippi State (L)
At Missouri (L)
2-6 in the SEC, but 6-6 over all and a bowl game.

gameoflife

Quote from: bulldoghistorian on July 20, 2018, 01:58:14 pm
Vs Eastern Illinois (W)
At Colorado State (W)
Vs North Texas (W)
At Auburn (L)
Vs Alabama (L)
Vs Tulsa (W)
Vs Vanderbilt (W)
Vs LSU (L)
At Mississippi State (L)
At Missouri (L)

Certainly wouldn't say Ole Miss or Vanderbilt are a lock.  Predictions are Vandy is a 50/50 game and Vandy can't play in a bowl game so all they have is play for a better season and to be a spoiler.  Who is easier to spoil than Arkansas?  If we drop one of those its 5 wins and if, heaven forbid, we lose one of the opening 3 its a disaster!!! Bowl game at 6-6 is silly and always has been but that's how the NCAA works.

beach bum

July 21, 2018, 11:17:46 am #315 Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 11:20:17 am by beach bum
How about LSU playing a murderers row of a schedule? They have to play Georgia and Florida from the East who are probably going to finish 1 and 2 respectively over in that division. Then throw in a week 1 game against Miami, and playing the 6 other West opponents. Since we are their rival, if we place merely a decent team on the field we should play them competitively at least. If we do field an ok team then you can say LSU does not have one single conference game where you can check mark them a win in. I would think 9-3 is the ceiling for them and 6-6 would not be that far fetched. Look at our East opponents compared to their two East opponents. If we had their schedule we would be staring at a 3-9 season or 4-8 at best. That is why I want to see the SEC go to a 9 game non conference schedule like the other conferences have. Throw out one of those garbage non conference games for a third cross divisional game. A third cross divisional game decreases the likelihood of an imbalanced schedule too as we are consistently seeing now.

beach bum

I think LSU's schedule is why the media has them picked 5th in the West.... With easier East opponents I think the media would have had them 3rd or 4th instead of 5th.

bulldoghistorian

Quote from: beach bum on July 21, 2018, 11:17:46 am
How about LSU playing a murderers row of a schedule? They have to play Georgia and Florida from the East who are probably going to finish 1 and 2 respectively over in that division. Then throw in a week 1 game against Miami, and playing the 6 other West opponents. Since we are their rival, if we place merely a decent team on the field we should play them competitively at least. If we do field an ok team then you can say LSU does not have one single conference game where you can check mark them a win in. I would think 9-3 is the ceiling for them and 6-6 would not be that far fetched. Look at our East opponents compared to their two East opponents. If we had their schedule we would be staring at a 3-9 season or 4-8 at best. That is why I want to see the SEC go to a 9 game non conference schedule like the other conferences have. Throw out one of those garbage non conference games for a third cross divisional game. A third cross divisional game decreases the likelihood of an imbalanced schedule too as we are consistently seeing now.
Quote from: beach bum on July 21, 2018, 11:18:56 am
I think LSU's schedule is why the media has them picked 5th in the West.... With easier East opponents I think the media would have had them 3rd or 4th instead of 5th.
So true, and less than 6 wins is a possibility for them too. I can't imagine what their fans would be like if they didn't go bowling.

bleudog

July 21, 2018, 03:54:58 pm #318 Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 04:07:39 pm by bleudog
Quote from: bulldoghistorian on July 20, 2018, 01:58:14 pm
Vs Eastern Illinois (W)
At Colorado State (W)
Vs North Texas (W)
At Auburn (L)
Vs Alabama (L)
Vs Tulsa (W)
Vs Vanderbilt (W)
Vs LSU (L)
At Mississippi State (L)
At Missouri (L)

E Illinois        99 %     44   10
Colorado St   57 %      38   35   
North Texas   78 %     42   32
Auburn          4 %      17   41   
Texas A&M    31 %     34   41   
Alabama         2 %     14   42   
Mississippi     41 %     35   38   
Tulsa              68 %     37   31   
Vanderbilt      54 %     34   31
LSU              18 %     21   34   
Mississippi St  14 %     24   38   
Missouri         34 %     35   41   

https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=316&s=300937

bulldoghistorian

Quote from: bleudog on July 21, 2018, 03:54:58 pm

E Illinois        99 %     44   10
Colorado St   57 %      38   35   
North Texas   78 %     42   32
Auburn          4 %      17   41   
Texas A&M    31 %     34   41   
Alabama         2 %     14   42   
Mississippi     41 %     35   38   
Tulsa              68 %     37   31   
Vanderbilt      54 %     34   31
LSU              18 %     21   34   
Mississippi St  14 %     24   38   
Missouri         34 %     35   41   

https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=316&s=300937

Interesting.

HorseFeathers

Yeah I'm thinking Colorado State isn't the gimme everyone is thinking it will be....Not very often does an SEC school(of any caliber) make a road trip to a Group of 5 school...so it'll be like a Super Bowl for them....

bleudog

Quote from: HorseFeathers on July 21, 2018, 05:11:00 pm
Yeah I'm thinking Colorado State isn't the gimme everyone is thinking it will be....Not very often does an SEC school(of any caliber) make a road trip to a Group of 5 school...so it'll be like a Super Bowl for them....

Any chance this becomes a factor?

Fayetteville - 1,400 ft above sea level.
Fort Collins - 5,000 ft above sea level.

beach bum

July 21, 2018, 06:38:26 pm #322 Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 06:43:28 pm by beach bum
Quote from: bleudog on July 21, 2018, 05:32:23 pm
Any chance this becomes a factor?

Fayetteville - 1,400 ft above sea level.
Fort Collins - 5,000 ft above sea level.

I went jogging earlier in the month between 5,400 and 8,800 ft for about a week and a half.... and for the first couple days my throat was a little tingly and my upper chest was tight from the lower level of oxygen. I came from 1,200 ft before that. I think the lineman will feel it especially. The ratio I have seen before is someone will run about 10-12 seconds slower per mile at 5,000 ft compared to sea level. I know that is distance running so kind of apples to oranges a bit, but I am sure the big guys on defense will feel that if Colorado State goes up tempo on offense.

beach bum

Quote from: HorseFeathers on July 21, 2018, 05:11:00 pm

I think you are right they are going to be fired up there to play an SEC school. They can score points too. Defense is a little suspect, but that game is worrisome.

bleudog

July 21, 2018, 07:00:21 pm #324 Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 08:52:43 pm by bleudog
Quote from: beach bum on July 21, 2018, 06:38:26 pm

I went jogging earlier in the month between 5,400 and 8,800 ft for about a week and a half.... and for the first couple days my throat was a little tingly and my upper chest was tight from the lower level of oxygen. I came from 1,200 ft before that. I think the lineman will feel it especially. The ratio I have seen before is someone will run about 10-12 seconds slower per mile at 5,000 ft compared to sea level. I know that is distance running so kind of apples to oranges a bit, but I am sure the big guys on defense will feel that if Colorado State goes up tempo on offense.

I watch most of my live college games in north Louisiana.   Always a strategic advantage to host a northern team on Labor Day weekend when near I-20 it could still be 90 degrees / 90% humidity at 9:00 p.m.   8)

Valleysports

Quote from: beach bum on July 21, 2018, 11:17:46 am
How about LSU playing a murderers row of a schedule? They have to play Georgia and Florida from the East who are probably going to finish 1 and 2 respectively over in that division.

A&M plays Clemson and Alabama, week 1 & 3, who are probably going to finish 1 and 2 respectively in college football.  I could see A&M beat up and having Posttraumatic stress disorder coming into the Arkansas Game..

beach bum

Quote from: bleudog on July 21, 2018, 07:00:21 pm
I watch most of my live games in north Louisiana.   Always a strategic advantage to host a northern team on Labor Day weekend when it could still be 90 degrees / 90% humidity at 9:00 pm. near I-20.   8)

Makes me think of those late August or early September high school games when you start seeing the kids drop like flies from cramping.....

beach bum

Quote from: Valleysports on July 22, 2018, 12:01:57 pm
A&M plays Clemson and Alabama, week 1 & 3, who are probably going to finish 1 and 2 respectively in college football.  I could see A&M beat up and having Posttraumatic stress disorder coming into the Arkansas Game..

Sports talk was making fun of A&M the other day and I was thinking "come on guys we might want to beat them once in a decade before we start talking smack".... I'll believe it when I see it of Arkansas beating A&M

footballfan-tastic

This may be the most important season in a long time that is coming up. 

sportsguy80

Quote from: footballfan-tastic on July 23, 2018, 06:56:35 pm
This may be the most important season in a long time that is coming up.
You may be right but I'm not expecting anything more than what will happen. The biggest difference I see this season that few are taking about is how hard the players will play for Morris. Most quit on Coach B before the season even started last year.

beach bum

I'll be brave enough to take a stab at what's ahead.....

EAST
1. Georgia 6-2 (I actually see them disappointing upon what people expect is an 11-1 or 12-0 season ahead)
2.Florida 5-3
3.South Carolina 5-3
4.Kentucky 3-5
5.Missouri 3-5
6.Vanderbilt 2-6
7.Tennessee 1-7

WEST
1.Alabama 8-0
2.Auburn 6-2
3.Miss State 5-3
4.Texas A&M 4-4
5.LSU 4-4
6.Ole Miss 3-5
7.Arkansas 1-7

HorseFeathers

Clay Travis will have his readers rioting again if Tennessee finishes last in the east

footballfan-tastic

Quote from: sportsguy80 on July 24, 2018, 07:53:17 pm
You may be right but I'm not expecting anything more than what will happen. The biggest difference I see this season that few are taking about is how hard the players will play for Morris. Most quit on Coach B before the season even started last year.

There is something to be said about having players who will play hard for their coach.  I think the majority of athletes at almost every school do this.  So, no real advantage to UA there.  This is more true when you consider the quality of the athletes we will take the field with.  All you have to do is look at the SEC preseason picks for all conference.  We are low man on the pole.

AirWarren

Big pickup tonight. Collin Clay. 4* 6'5 255 DL

AirWarren

AirWarren

According to rivals.

26th in nation.
13th by star composite.

Valleysports

Quote from: AirWarren on July 28, 2018, 03:30:51 pm
According to rivals.

26th in nation.
13th by star composite.

Great to see some recruiting wins.  I was beginning to think y'all were going to phase out football.

bdubyab60

Been a dead period here. However I told you Morris was chasing some highly rated players. Just about every other team was full of commitments.

But as of now Morris is on the average with some room to spare. Hope the commits keep coming.

As for this year we are picked dead last. Coaching and philosophy change with players recruited and built for whatever we were doing, was hard to tell sometimes the past couple years, to what Morris is going to run is a big change

AirWarren

Quote from: Valleysports on July 29, 2018, 12:14:34 am
Great to see some recruiting wins.  I was beginning to think y'all were going to phase out football.

It's an improvement, for sure.

Lumberjackfan1978

Romeo

I know I'm going to sound like a negative nancy, but the recruiting now isn't much different than the recruiting the last several years. We usually finish within the mid to late twenties in recruiting rankings. The key ranking to look for is conference ranking. In another conference, we'll probably be within the top five, but in the SEC, were 10th out of 14. Realistically, any coach that comes to Arkansas will have to do more with less.

beach bum

Quote from: Romeo on July 31, 2018, 03:19:19 pm
I know I'm going to sound like a negative nancy, but the recruiting now isn't much different than the recruiting the last several years. We usually finish within the mid to late twenties in recruiting rankings. The key ranking to look for is conference ranking. In another conference, we'll probably be within the top five, but in the SEC, were 10th out of 14. Realistically, any coach that comes to Arkansas will have to do more with less.

That is exactly what I said when people were saying Morris is already out recruiting BB..... Bret actually recruited just fine by Arkansas standards which is what made the end of his tenure look even worse in my opinion. Recruiting rankings aren't perfect, but people kept saying the last few years we have not had any players when he actually recruited just fine. Burks is the obvious guy jumping off the charts and he deserves every ounce of praise he is getting. All the other players are good, solid pick ups we tend to get and par for the course. Warren keeps pumping them out and the U of A in Fayetteville keeps saying thank you!! The state is so lucky to have that program in SE Arkansas.

beach bum

Now one thing I am sure the new staff will be better at is development.... I am not sure that will be too hard to top the last staff though!!

AirWarren

Sealed the deal with another 4 star today.

Adonis Otey, CB out of Murfreesboro, TN. Had offers from Tennessee and Louisville.

bdubyab60

The one thing that is different is that Morris has reached the average we usually see. However the class isn't full yet.

Valleysports

Romeo, Beach Bum, without re-posting what y'all said above I agree.  I've wondered what the ceiling, for Arkansas, in these modern times is.  If money were no object could Arkansas hire a $75 million coach, build the biggest stadium in the Nation, recruit Top 5 classes, and win a Championship?  Obviously I compare UofA to A&M because the two schools have similarities, turning things around with new coaches.  UofA fans are thinking that in a few years, with the imagination of this coach, we'll have some winning seasons possibly winning the SEC West.  A&M fans & coaches are thinking National Championship or Bust!   

Valleysports

Can't we get this college football season started already?

We also need a Buckeye thread.  Learned a lot on that thread, like what a Buckeye is, there's a t in tOHS, and about the PAC 12 teams.  Helps to hear outside perspective concerning SEC also.

Let's go!

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas