• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

State Tournament Umpires?

Started by 3 Dollar, May 15, 2015, 10:18:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

3 Dollar

Good!  Bad!  Indifferent!

Let's hear it!  How are those umpires doing?

SBALL

Quote from: 3 Dollar on May 15, 2015, 10:18:50 pm

Old.....very old

justin1a2

Quote from: SBALL on May 15, 2015, 10:30:45 pm

Old.....very old
If you aren't in the click you don't get to do state. And that group contains a bunch of old guys

CMhawgtracks

From what I've seen, they are doing a decent job. Some questionable calls, of course, but the same calls are being made on both teams, that's all you can ask for.

3 Dollar

Quote from: justin1a2 on May 16, 2015, 07:31:48 am
Quote from: SBALL on May 15, 2015, 10:30:45 pm

Old.....very old
If you aren't in the click you don't get to do state. And that group contains a bunch of old guys

Justin :o. Justin :-[. Justin :-X

3 Dollar

Quote from: CMhawgtracks on May 16, 2015, 08:18:35 am
From what I've seen, they are doing a decent job. Some questionable calls, of course, but the same calls are being made on both teams, that's all you can ask for.

Thank You!  This is the type of reports I'm looking for.

3 Dollar

Hudspeth must not be old or in the click?

Sorry for your hurt feelings.

How about the other classifications?

jabberhog

Watched an umpire call ankle high balls on both teams strikes but thigh high strikes balls. 
Watched next game umpire call only half way between knees and waist strikes but suddenly call a letter high pitch a strike.
Next day watched a game where the umpire had a coffee can strike zone. 
Heard a local person tell a team that he knew their pitcher was in trouble when he saw the ump behind the plate.  Said he wasn't allowed to call in the area due to being terrible behind the plate.

Compared to last year several, not all, umpires left a lot to be desired.  Last year, the umpires knew what they were doing and called the games the same for both teams all the way thru the game.  A batter should not have to guess whether she has to swing at an ankle high pitch because it might be called for a strike.  I am all for a consistent strike zone for both pitchers to work with.  An ankle high pitch is not a strike, a waist high pitch is not a ball and a letter high pitch is not a strike. 

Overall, the pitchers that threw low 50's down the middle fared better with calls than the faster pitchers with movement.  Very few pitches moving in or out were called for strikes in the games I watched.  Penalized the better pitchers by forcing them to throw down the middle of the plate which is the very thing most of them work to not do all year.

Just my observations.

I thought the state was supposed to have the best umpires.  Didn't happen this year.

True Fan

Usually not the best. I was just tickled to death that they weren't wearing numbers on their sleeves. ;D Dang baseball umps!

Hatchet

i saw one umpire at Mena that was to lazy to wipe off home plate.

Ar HS sport fan

have several umpires who are friends and according to AAA/AOA rules, umpires are supposed to be Division 1 or 2 (out of 3 with 3 being the lowest) are supposed to be calling regionals (for 4A and below) and state tournament/finals. however brodel will give several division 3 umpires positions even as the UIC for the tournament. also the UIC will be the plate umpire for the finals. not waying that the division 3 umpires are bad umpires but the 1 and 2 people work just as hard and do the things that AAA/AOA say they are supposed to do to move up and call these games.

sevenof400

For what it might be worth .  Keep in mind that some umpires may not have been available due to work requirements.  Not everyone can take off work at the drop of a hat..

Oldbadger

May 16, 2015, 09:41:24 pm #12 Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 09:59:23 pm by Oldbadger
 ;D

BIG_K

Umps cost us the game!  :'(  That $35 dollars a game pay is way to much!  ;D  Where was the instant replay when we needed it?  ???

the dude

Midland vs Foreman was the worst umping I have ever witnessed n person. Clearly were not gonna accept a team from the south not going to Bogle. When the best teams n the state r playing they deserve the best umps n the state not these bozos.

sevenof400

Quote from: the dude on May 17, 2015, 09:46:05 am
Midland vs Foreman was the worst umping I have ever witnessed n person. Clearly were not gonna accept a team from the south not going to Bogle. When the best teams n the state r playing they deserve the best umps n the state not these bozos.

So, just to play along here, how are you going to make that happen?
Are you scribing your letter to AAA now?

searkhogfan

As far as I know, there is no grading system for high school umpires.  In the tourneys, umps from the area are used.  And good high school umps are few & far between.

sevenof400

Quote from: searkhogfan on May 17, 2015, 01:54:10 pm
As far as I know, there is no grading system for high school umpires.  In the tourneys, umps from the area are used.  And good high school umps are few & far between.

That's the point I was headed toward here as well.  Until AAA makes working any sport's high school playoff worth taking a day off work for, you aren't going to have a lot of choice in referees.   

searkhogfan

You'll also have the same umps at Bogle & Baum.  If you make it there

500 hitter

I do believe that Louisiana has an umpire grading system in place. That would be a great option to go to.

sevenof400

Quote from: 500 hitter on May 18, 2015, 08:05:36 am
I do believe that Louisiana has an umpire grading system in place. That would be a great option to go to.

In theory, I agree with you 500 hitter.

However, AAA would have to budget money to allow for assessors (not only identification but training) and I don't see AAA being willing to do this unless someone else footed the bill.  Has AAA ever considered this in past? 

If not, I agree they should be taking steps to implement this. 

The other problem is this - if you do not have assessors, who will grade the umpires?  Not the coaches....

CMhawgtracks

My thoughts: after initially giving the umps a pass. Later games showed a lot of inconsistencies, questionable calls on the bases and some calls behind the plate that would make you scratch your head! One of our girls drew a walk on two balls and a strike called chin high to end the ending.
For the guy that says college coaches aren't interested in high school ball, the UCA coach was at the PC- BIC game probably looking at the BIC pitcher, she's a jewel...

skydiver

Here's my take on umpires for what it's worth.  I've seen good ones and bad ones.  I seen the good ones have bad days and I've seen the bad ones have good days.  The bottom line is this: I don't see a lot of people lining up to get certified to do this job.  Who in their right mind would want to accept this as a second job for extra money.  Half the people are happy and the other half are mad after almost every game.  These guys/ladies must have thick skin and be hard of hearing to even consider doing this job.  My point is, if YOU don't like the job YOU are seeing on the field, go get certified and get you a dose of it.

CMhawgtracks

Quote from: skydiver on May 18, 2015, 10:09:34 am
Here's my take on umpires for what it's worth.  I've seen good ones and bad ones.  I seen the good ones have bad days and I've seen the bad ones have good days.  The bottom line is this: I don't see a lot of people lining up to get certified to do this job.  Who in their right mind would want to accept this as a second job for extra money.  Half the people are happy and the other half are mad after almost every game.  These guys/ladies must have thick skin and be hard of hearing to even consider doing this job.  My point is, if YOU don't like the job YOU are seeing on the field, go get certified and get you a dose of it.
no thank you, I rather complain

LowerAR

Quote from: CMhawgtracks on May 18, 2015, 09:43:03 am
My thoughts: after initially giving the umps a pass. Later games showed a lot of inconsistencies, questionable calls on the bases and some calls behind the plate that would make you scratch your head! One of our girls drew a walk on two balls and a strike called chin high to end the ending.
For the guy that says college coaches aren't interested in high school ball, the UCA coach was at the PC- BIC game probably looking at the BIC pitcher, she's a jewel...
I really wanted to see her pitch, but they were done when I got there, funny the PC people said they really weren't that impressed. I guess they should have looked harder. As far as interest in the game, funny you should say the UCA Coach was there to see the BIC pitcher. That is not interest, that is recruiting, sorry I had to point that out. If a coach drives from Conway to Norphlet to chase one girl, he's trying to take care of business. You may see some coaches over the rest of the season, since they are through, but they are chasing girls that they know and want before spring signing, so they know what to look for this summer. Especially pitchers because they want to know what they got coming in or at least committed. I bet she plays travel ball too. Ya'll get mad because somebody makes a general statement that you can't defend about travel ball, and I call you on several specific statements that I can. I'm not surprised though, parents who don't want to play travel ball always attack the girls and parents of the girls that do, I'm just guessing it's apparent why.           

WorkOrder

+1,000,000

jabberhog

May 18, 2015, 11:30:57 am #26 Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 11:34:18 am by jabberhog
Just a curious question.

If UCA was playing in Oklahoma City in the NCAA regional at 4 pm Sat., how was the UCA coach in
Norphlet?

On a side note.  I don't think the south Arkansas teams are impressed with anyone that is not
from south Arkansas.  Just my take from the conversations I heard around me at the ball park
from players and parents.  Yes south Arkansas has some good teams and has had a great run
the past few years but I think some of the other teams in the state will start to make championship
runs the next couple of years now that their pitchers have gotten some experience in the playoffs.

BLUEBLOOD

Quote from: CMhawgtracks on May 18, 2015, 10:12:00 am

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

sevenof400

Quote from: CMhawgtracks on May 18, 2015, 10:12:00 am

Which is exactly why the referee situation is in the shape it is at present. 

CMhawgtracks

Quote from: LowerAR on May 18, 2015, 11:13:44 am
Quote from: CMhawgtracks on May 18, 2015, 09:43:03 am
I really wanted to see her pitch, but they were done when I got there, funny the PC people said they really weren't that impressed. I guess they should have looked harder. As far as interest in the game, funny you should say the UCA Coach was there to see the BIC pitcher. That is not interest, that is recruiting, sorry I had to point that out. If a coach drives from Conway to Norphlet to chase one girl, he's trying to take care of business. You may see some coaches over the rest of the season, since they are through, but they are chasing girls that they know and want before spring signing, so they know what to look for this summer. Especially pitchers because they want to know what they got coming in or at least committed. I bet she plays travel ball too. Ya'll get mad because somebody makes a general statement that you can't defend about travel ball, and I call you on several specific statements that I can. I'm not surprised though, parents who don't want to play travel ball always attack the girls and parents of the girls that do, I'm just guessing it's apparent why.         
well, since I'm PC people, I can say with all honesty, every person sitting in my section was impressed with her.

LowerAR

Well I talked to these PC fans on Thursday, I commented that I didn't think ya'll looked that sharp on Thursday either. You whipped MC pretty good, but I felt I had seen ya'll play better in the fall. I heard more than one person around the park(not PC fans) say, that it looked like it would be PC and Foreman. I figure that first impressions of how a tourney will playout are often misleading. As I said, I wanted to see BIC play. I also wanted to watch Midland and Duke, which Midland didn't seem to hit well and Duke was without their pitcher, but if watching one might make a wrong judgment. I just thought it was interesting that this PC fan was that mistaken, because he has been around ball for awhile, and when I see him again I'm sure he will tell me what he saw.   

Valleysports

So was the UCA coach in Oklahoma City or Norphlet?

CMhawgtracks

Quote from: Valleysports on May 18, 2015, 04:24:23 pm
So was the UCA coach in Oklahoma City or Norphlet?
someone representing UCA was in Norphlet! He dressed like a coach, looked like a coach, acted like a coach, so he must have been a coach. I didn't ask him was he a coach but all the coaches gathered around him for some meaningful conversations...

CMhawgtracks

Quote from: LowerAR on May 18, 2015, 03:16:30 pm
Well I talked to these PC fans on Thursday, I commented that I didn't think ya'll looked that sharp on Thursday either. You whipped MC pretty good, but I felt I had seen ya'll play better in the fall. I heard more than one person around the park(not PC fans) say, that it looked like it would be PC and Foreman. I figure that first impressions of how a tourney will playout are often misleading. As I said, I wanted to see BIC play. I also wanted to watch Midland and Duke, which Midland didn't seem to hit well and Duke was without their pitcher, but if watching one might make a wrong judgment. I just thought it was interesting that this PC fan was that mistaken, because he has been around ball for awhile, and when I see him again I'm sure he will tell me what he saw.   
we didn't play our best ball against Magnet Cove and won. BIC is a different story, you don't bring your "a" game, you go home

True Fan

Didn't have to play good against MC. We had a pretty down year and never could put iit all together. ;D

I thought that the PC pitcher was good, but hittable. A few more balls in play and i think even our batters would have started hitting the ball. In years past, we would have by the second trip through the lineup. Graduation can be a turrible thing. ;D

LowerAR

I did not see the BIC game, wish I could have. I heard that there were a few errors and that will kill you against a good team. As for the PC pitcher, we know her and her family well. She did not look as sharp Thursday as she can. She told me herself, but not to bad for a soph. From what I saw MC didn't play as well as they have the capability to either. I thought ya'll played better in Hope. I feel both of these teams are going to be a lot better next year. Oh, by the way, how is the Catcher, True?

True Fan

Broken leg. The little bone ? snapped half in two. That little bad a walked up and down the hill refusing help. She'll be out for a while but look for her to be back in plenty of time for next year.

MC is a young team. My girl was the only senior playing and all that was left from the mighty MC that could play anybody anytime anywhere the last couple of years. The underclassmen playing are headed in the right direction, but they just never grabbed that killer instinct. I've heard that we will have a group of freshman next year that will either push several of the girls up or out. It's kind of nice to be able to say that we had a really down year because we only made it to the state tournament. 

Coach Ernest-Nashville

I don't know why an umpire would want to call in the postseason. My understanding is that the AAA pays the fee and it is considerably less than the "suggested minimum" schools pay all year. Most don't do it for the money and are fantastic to work with but I'm sure there are some quality umpires who don't call because of the fee. Also, how can there be so few women calling? You'd think a sport you love from 3 years of age would have more. We had some calls go against us in Mena I still don't agree with but overall I thought the umpires were professional, consistent, competent, hustled for position, and we're approachable. Can't ask for much more.  It's a thankless job but a necessary one for all of us to play or watch the game.

BLUEBLOOD

Quote from: Coach Ernest-Nashville on May 23, 2015, 04:09:45 pm
I don't know why an umpire would want to call in the postseason. My understanding is that the AAA pays the fee and it is considerably less than the "suggested minimum" schools pay all year. Most don't do it for the money and are fantastic to work with but I'm sure there are some quality umpires who don't call because of the fee. Also, how can there be so few women calling? You'd think a sport you love from 3 years of age would have more. We had some calls go against us in Mena I still don't agree with but overall I thought the umpires were professional, consistent, competent, hustled for position, and we're approachable. Can't ask for much more.  It's a thankless job but a necessary one for all of us to play or watch the game.

Now see Coach, you "done made too much sense"!!!  That's not what we're about on here.  I think we need to delete you and get some other Scrapper faithful on here to tell the real story about the conspiracy to call runner interference (twice).  Should have done like the Bauxite kid and run over the girl covering the bag.....no interference.  LOL.

Good season for the Scrappers.  Good Luck to you on your new adventure.

Umpires!!  Schmumpires!!  They're out to get our kids and cheat them.  Probably most are into organized crime......LOL

PrivateLesson

Please "enlighten" us all on what "we" are about here on "Fearless Friday"?!?!?!

Your "post" seem familiar to another "poster"......😂😂😂😂

BLUEBLOOD

Quote from: PrivateLesson on May 29, 2015, 03:27:20 pm
Please "enlighten" us all on what "we" are about here on "Fearless Friday"?!?!?!

Your "post" seem familiar to another "poster"......😂😂😂😂

COMPLAIN...COMPLAIN...and COMPLAIN some more.

No double agent here. 

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas