• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

BB Backcourt

Started by johnharrison, January 24, 2006, 01:24:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

johnharrison

30 years ago, I understood this perfectly.  Either time has dulled my mind or the rule has changed.

Ball is inbounded.  Player receivng the ball has one foot on each side of half court.  He moves his forward foot back, standing completely in the back court.  Is this a violation?

Same thing, but player catches the ball in the air.  First foot hits on the forecourt.  The second foot lands in the backcourt.  He then steps back.  Is this a violation.

Player is dribbling, one foot crosses halfcourt, he steps back.

Player is running from his baseline, leaps into the air from his side of half court, catches the ball in the air, then lands backcourt.

(Last and related.  Player shoots from beneath the basket.  Ball goes up through the net, bounces twice on the rim and then falls through the basket.  Is this a goal?)

not ray

On the backcourt things no, no, no, and yes.  The first three relate to the player having all the points across the half court line.  Ball and both feet.  Until this is done he/she can go back across.  The final one I do believe is a backcourt violation.  The player left from the front court and did not establish themselves in the backcourt before touching the ball so the would in essence be jumping from the front court to the back court with the ball.  So it is ruled as a backcourt violation.  The last one has to not be a goal.  It would have to make it'e entry from the top of the goal to begin with.  Not a referee so I could be wrong somewhere in these.  So when one sees this they can confirm or fix what I have wrong.

Rulesman

Quote from: johnharrison on January 24, 2006, 01:24:26 pm
30 years ago, I understood this perfectly. Either time has dulled my mind or the rule has changed.

Ball is inbounded. Player receivng the ball has one foot on each side of half court. He moves his forward foot back, standing completely in the back court. Is this a violation? No

Same thing, but player catches the ball in the air. First foot hits on the forecourt. The second foot lands in the backcourt. He then steps back. Is this a violation. Yes, unless the catch is off a throw in or jump ball.

Player is dribbling, one foot crosses halfcourt, he steps back. Assume he is dribbling in the backcourt. No violation.

Player is running from his baseline, leaps into the air from his side of half court, catches the ball in the air, then lands backcourt. Same as #2

(Last and related. Player shoots from beneath the basket. Ball goes up through the net, bounces twice on the rim and then falls through the basket. Is this a goal?) Violation - no goal

johnharrison

The backcourt calls make sense to me.

Let me follow up on the shot from under the basket.  What does "violation" mean?  Does it stop play, cause a turnover.  What effects the violation?  If the ball hits the rim from underneath, if it goes 1/3 way through, if it goes all the way through, if it goes through then bounces off the backboard and is rebounded, or only if it comes back through? When does the whistle blow?

Rulesman

Quote from: johnharrison on January 24, 2006, 09:15:30 pm
The backcourt calls make sense to me.

Let me follow up on the shot from under the basket. What does "violation" mean? Does it stop play, cause a turnover. What effects the violation? If the ball hits the rim from underneath, if it goes 1/3 way through, if it goes all the way through, if it goes through then bounces off the backboard and is rebounded, or only if it comes back through? When does the whistle blow?
I answered this in the reply to your PM. I didn't save a copy, so feel free to cut and paste it here.

johnharrison

Rulesman, Thanks for this rely :
A violation is a rule infraction. In this case, it means the ball becomes dead immediately and no basket can be scored.

Rule 5-1-1: "A goal is made when a live ball enters the basket from above and remains in or passes through."

Rule 9-4-4: "A player shall not travel with the ball, as in 4-44, intentionally kick it, as in 4-29, strike it with the fist or cause it to enter and pass through the basket from below."

Case Book Play 9.4: "SITUATION: At A's basket, the ball enters the net from below and passes through the basket. RULING: The ball becomes dead when it enters from below and passes through.'

Lions84

Thanks Ruleman I was going to ask  the same thing about Backcourt.

tdn (Tim)

Quote from: johnharrison on January 24, 2006, 01:24:26 pm
30 years ago, I understood this perfectly.  Either time has dulled my mind or the rule has changed.

Rules changed :)   Same on charge call.  30 years ago a decision had to be made as to whether the ball left the players hand before the charge (in which case the basket would count if it was a made basket) or after (in which case the basket was disallowed).  Now any charge the basket is waived off.

Today the player must cross the midcourt line with both feet and the ball before activating the potential for a backcourt violation if they or the ball then travels backwards beyond midcourt

ltb759

Not true in all cases on the backcourt TDN. The 3 points rule(2 feet and the ball) that you always hear thrown around in backcourt scenarios only apply to a dribbler.  You make the call: A1 in his backcourt throws a pass to A2 who is straddling the line, one foot in bc, one foot in fc.....A2 in attempting to catch the ball doesnt catch it cleanly but fumbles the ball and it falls to the floor and bounces in the fc and A2 then grabs it.    Legal , or illegal?

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas