• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

COACH WOOD

Started by TheReal_Deal24, November 26, 2008, 02:17:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

benchball

Quote from: Madgun on November 27, 2008, 07:43:53 am
Quote from: baitshop on November 26, 2008, 07:11:13 pm
479......I don't know if this means anything, but I just had someone that I know up in NWA call me ,that used to live in Conway.....and he said that he sat 2 rows in front of the AD and Superintendent from Conway at the HarBer/NLR game.....

Conway was not in the playoffs......I know that the AD might have been there to see his son coach (NLR)......but why would the Superintendent come up and freeze his butt off to watch this game......

Hmmm........the story continues to unfold!!

Superintendent did move to Conway from Springdale fairly recently.  Possibly still has some family there.  You never know--could mean nothing or could mean everything. 

I do think that Wood's wife is from Central Arkansas and has some connection to Conway or somewhere close.  Someone has told me that McNabb's (Russ DC) wife is her cousin. 

If he has had problems with Sdale AD/Super, can get more money, & make a family move then maybe it's a legit possibility.   
everyone has problems with the springdale AD...i wont take it any further than that

Iknewthemwhen

Quote from: 479BOYZ on November 26, 2008, 02:17:44 pm
THERE IS NO TRUTH TO HIM GOING TO CONWAY! I JUST GOT OFF THE PHONE WITH A SOURCE VERY CLOSE TO COACH WOOD AND THIS IS JUST A RUMOR.

Announcement made Thursday.

Iknewthemwhen

Men sometimes have problems with women in power.  LOL

fbhound

Wood is still borderline on leaving and his wife wants to stay in NWAR.. So seems like the decision is made, especially with both Ft. Smith schools going to the Central conference in 2010. My wife knows Wood's wife and she says there "ain't gonna be a move". So guess we all wait til this next week perhaps? Fun times, huh?

spoof1530

November 29, 2008, 07:47:59 pm #54 Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 08:01:25 pm by spoof1530
Sounds to me like there is more than one woman with power in his life. He needs to grow a pair and take the Conway job.

Iknewthemwhen

LIke they say, if momma's not happy nobody's happy. 

Billyo62

Quote from: Iknewthemwhen on November 29, 2008, 07:55:52 pm
LIke they say, if momma's not happy nobody's happy. 

That's an understatement!   ;D

benchball

Quote from: Iknewthemwhen on November 29, 2008, 10:03:24 am
Men sometimes have problems with women in power.  LOL
u dont know this woman ad in springdale!!

Wampus_Cat

Quote from: 479BOYZ on November 26, 2008, 03:33:23 pm
not in conway they aren't any good
Yeah okay...

We have one of the biggest high schools in the state, with some of the better facilities (and about to be far better) with great community support. All we need is a coach (even though I think he was a heck of one)

TheReal_Deal24

just because you have good facilities doesnt make you a good team moron. har-ber has alot of talent conway not soo much.

Billyo62

Quote from: 479BOYZ on December 01, 2008, 10:21:35 am
just because you have good facilities doesnt make you a good team moron. har-ber has alot of talent conway not soo much.

479--What ever happened to the BIG ANNOUNCEMENT ? ?

TheReal_Deal24

what big announcement?

Billyo62

Quote from: 479BOYZ on December 01, 2008, 10:30:07 am
what big announcement?

Please - Your kiilin me !

You know "Coach Wood to Conway"  " 479 the new coach at HarBer"  ;D

TheReal_Deal24

haha i know maybe for once i was right lol.... he's staying not worried about it at all.

Madgun

Quote from: 479BOYZ on December 01, 2008, 10:21:35 am

That is, without a doubt, one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. 

I hope what you meant to say was:  Har-Ber has had a lot of success in 3 years, while Conway hasn't. 

Conway is a top job in this state, in my opinion.  There is tons of talent walking the halls.  They probably have lost some of it recently to surrounding schools because the kids are looking to play in a more exciting system.  But bring in the right coach and those kids will come back and the ones not playing will come back out. 

There is no reason for Conway to not be a state title contender each and every year. 

Mr. Boyz, what you are calling talent at Har-Ber is probably due to excellent coaching from the lower levels on up.....but we won't get into all that again.  :)

Athlete for athlete, I'd say Conway probably beats you.  They just need good coaching from the ground up. 

TheReal_Deal24

well they might would have had a chance if they made the playoffs but no they started basketball early again this year. har-ber plays as a team they don't have to have alot of athletes. i would put my team har-ber up against conway any day.

Madgun

I don't disagree with that statement at all. 

I argued against the statement of: "har-ber has a lot of talent.  Conway not so much".  I guess you changed your mind. 

Iknewthemwhen

I almost never hear anyone say their team doesn't have lots of talent.  Even the perenial losers always claim to have lots of talent but poor coaching.   Don't get me wrong, you may be telling the truth but I just think its funny to hear it again.

Madgun

I'm not from Conway.  They're not my team. 

Coaches have been saying that about them for years.  I've heard some say that they dreaded the day Smith resigned for fear that they'd get a coach who would utilize the talent in town. 

Iknewthemwhen

If Kenny Smith reallly is the problem, were are his failings?  Doesn't teach fundamentals, can't get the kids to play hard, bad x and  O guy.  I have seen them play over the years and they always look well coached to me.

Earl is my Hero!!

Quote from: Iknewthemwhen on December 01, 2008, 03:32:08 pm
If Kenny Smith reallly is the problem, were are his failings?  Doesn't teach fundamentals, can't get the kids to play hard, bad x and  O guy.  I have seen them play over the years and they always look well coached to me.

He was great when he had Peyton Hillis...

Billyo62

Quote from: Earl is my Hero!! on December 01, 2008, 06:13:10 pm

Peyton Rocks!  123yds yesterday!  and he was a Blocking back!

Chris Murphy

Quote from: Earl is my Hero!! on December 01, 2008, 06:13:10 pm

Actually, he wasn't great when he had Peyton Hillis. He couldn't win a state championship with Hillis. Not only with Hillis, but he also had Kevin Wardlow at the time, who was often overlooked because of academics, but was a better player in high school than Hillis was. If you can't win a state title with Kevin Wardlow AND Peyton Hillis, then it's just not happening.

Now that Smith is gone, and the powers that be in Conway are actually going outside of the system to find a new coach, you better believe they'll be one of the top programs in the state very soon. There's tons of talent roaming the halls at Conway High. During my days at CHS, there were a lot of guys who would have been amazing on the field but simply didn't want to play for Smith. You better believe that they'll be a power in high school football in no time.

NWAfootball

With Coach Wood being from Atkins I wouldnt be totally shocked if he left us and took the Conway job. I do hope he is happy where he is at and remains our coach at Har-Ber though!

Madgun

My impression has always been this:  Smith was a fine coach, but he was dedicated to running the ball exclusively.  A lot of offenses now utilize the spread attack and that gets multiple playmakers involved and keeps multiple kids happy. 

I figure that, unless you were that 1 or 2 kids that got to run the ball, several kids lost interest because they weren't "involved" offensively.  If there's a chance to not only be involved as a ballcarrier but also as a receiving option now, then more kids might become interested. 

hoops22

Coach Wood has adressed his team and shut up the rumors that he is going to Conway. He will be at Har-Ber for a long-time or until Coach Malzahn comes calling.

Billyo62

Quote from: hoops22 on December 02, 2008, 10:21:06 am
Coach Wood has adressed his team and shut up the rumors that he is going to Conway. He will be at Har-Ber for a long-time or until Coach Malzahn comes calling.

So it's all been Wind Bag Baloney!

Earl is my Hero!!

Quote from: Billyo62 on December 02, 2008, 10:26:12 am

So it's all been Wind Bag Baloney!

Hmmm...

I was sure there was something to this. Oh well.

TheReal_Deal24

i guess my source was right he is not going anywhere.

HSFBF

This is closer to the truth than you can imagine. When Malzahn left Springdale, he recommended Wood for Har-Ber and Johnson for Springdale High. Any interview by any coach back then for the HC position of either school was just "smoke and mirrors" by the superintendent. Tice and Holt found out quickly that they had no chance and that taking applications was a meer formality and a process of appearing to be "searching" ...
   Malzahn likes Wood and do not be surprised if Gus is selected as HC at some college soon, after the bowl season is over. Talk centers around several colleges, including Tulsa if their coach leaves, Mississippi State, New Mexico, Kansas State and more. I see Gus wanting more to be a HC now than an OC at some big prominent SEC, Big 12 or big 10 school, etc. I know one school has already contacted Gus and he told them he would NOT talk until after Tulsa's bowl game.... that took class, like Gus or not... team comes first.
  So, I agree Wood is hanging tight til Gus makes a move at the college level.

Billyo62

Quote from: HSFBF on December 03, 2008, 01:09:50 pm
This is closer to the truth than you can imagine. When Malzahn left Springdale, he recommended Wood for Har-Ber and Johnson for Springdale High. Any interview by any coach back then for the HC position of either school was just "smoke and mirrors" by the superintendent. Tice and Holt found out quickly that they had no chance and that taking applications was a meer formality and a process of appearing to be "searching" ...
   Malzahn likes Wood and do not be surprised if Gus is selected as HC at some college soon, after the bowl season is over. Talk centers around several colleges, including Tulsa if their coach leaves, Mississippi State, New Mexico, Kansas State and more. I see Gus wanting more to be a HC now than an OC at some big prominent SEC, Big 12 or big 10 school, etc. I know one school has already contacted Gus and he told them he would NOT talk until after Tulsa's bowl game.... that took class, like Gus or not... team comes first.
  So, I agree Wood is hanging tight til Gus makes a move at the college level.

Hope it's Soon..  and best of luck to him!  ;D

fbhound

HSFBF:  Agree, similar to what I have heard too. Good post.

Adjudicator

Maybe Arkansas State will beat Troy this week and win a bowl game then a bigger school will come-a-callin for Steve Roberts.  We would welcome Gus at ASU!

TheReal_Deal24

there's no way gus goes to arkansas st. hes going to a big conference.

NWAfootball

A situation I think that could very well happen is East Carolina's coach Skip Holtz taking a job at a major conference school like Mississippi State for example and Gus Malzahn being offered the head coach position at East Carolina University.

TheReal_Deal24

i dont know i still think he goes to a bigger conference.

7AFball

Gus flew to Auburn yesterday afternoon. Funny that it happened before Tuber was fired today. Was he there to see if Tuber could work with Gus as OC? Guess Tuber said "no", Gus came back, then Auburn fired their head coach. Also, Gus talked to Miami today. Seems like many BIG schools want Gus' wide open, high octane offense.. Problem is, will he take a HC position at a lesser big time school? We shall see after the bowl game, but I predict Malzahn is OUT of Tulsa .. He has earned it.

TheReal_Deal24

he will go somewhere big no doubt about it.

NWAfootball

That is Miami of Ohio... just to make things clear.... The East Carolina job is a bigger job than Miami of Ohio. ECU was ranked as high as #14 in the nation this season and is a bigger university than the U of A enrollment wise. Also I really dont see Gus getting the Mississippi State or Auburn jobs. Although I think he would be a fine choice I think those schools will pick either a proven head coach of a coordinator from a larger school like Mullin from Florida or Vinables from Oklahoma.

Madgun

I agree.  He'll either have an opportunity to be a HC at a lower-level school or be the OC at a big-time school.  I find it hard to believe that a major program would hand over the reigns to him with no previous HC experience.  Just an opinion. 

TheReal_Deal24

if he went to the SEC that team will be dangerous.

Madgun

He was in the SEC.  Not terribly dangerous then.  I know, I know--HDN held him back.  Of course.

Lighting up the Hogs offensively this year can not be a true test of what his offense can do in the SEC.  Not sure they had an SEC-caliber defense. 

The man has not invented the wheel.  He is a very gifted offensive mind.  But he won't be "dangerous" in the SEC unless he's got some serious athletes.  That's the nature of things--good players make good coaches. 

Probably not many DC's are freaking out about the thoughts of Gus calling plays in the SEC.  Meyer, Spurrier, Petrino, etc. are already pretty talented guys.  Possibly Leach if the Auburn talk from yesterday is true. 

TheReal_Deal24

he will be dangerous in the SEC just looks at the hogs after he left. they had a terrible year and got blasted in the cotton bowl.

Billyo62

Quote from: 479BOYZ on December 04, 2008, 11:42:41 am
if he went to the SEC that team will be dangerous.

He won't get a HC job in the SEC... he needs to take a HC job somewhere or he will be a OC for the Next 10 years!  What does HE Want to do? That is the Question!

Madgun

Did the blasting in the Cotton Bowl have nothing to do with the turnover of the head coach and other staff members?  That was all due to Gus' departure the year before? 

Remind me, what bowl did they win the year before when Gus was calling the plays?  No national championship? 

I love the guy, but it's possible that he sometimes gets TOO much credit.  He will be successful wherever he goes no doubt, but let's not go overboard. 

Again, he'll be dangerous if he puts himself in a situation with dangerous athletes.  Same as the other OCs.

TheReal_Deal24

oh sorry first year in the sec his offense goes to the capital one bowl probably one of the best bowls the hogs have been to in a while and if there wasn't so much drama going around that whole year they might have done better. if he had another year to build on his first year he might have dont some awesome things here.

Madgun

Is the Capital One Bowl now a more prestigious bowl than the Cotton?  I'm seriously asking. 

Why does he get a free pass for all the "drama" that year and last year's team doesn't?  No drama then? 

I'm really just playing devil's advocate here, but are you just really attached to him because he's a "Springdale boy" or do you really think he's the second coming?  Smarter and wiser than everybody else? 

NWAfootball

To answer your question yes the Capital One Bowl is a better bowl than the Cotton Bowl.

7AFBFAN

Madgun, Gus is a god in Springdale. Anything associated with Springdale is a god in Springdale.

olddog79

Quote from: 7AFBFAN on December 04, 2008, 12:48:50 pm
Madgun, Gus is a god in Springdale. Anything associated with Springdale is a god in Springdale.
Well respected...yes. A god...no. We don't use that word lightly.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas