• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkadelphia Head Coach

Started by scrapman, April 10, 2018, 12:51:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: XFalkonz on April 19, 2018, 08:48:56 am
I teach 4 AP history classes per day. I coach 7-12 football and softball. I make $2500 TOTAL in stipends. I work 20 plus days in the summer UNPAID. I have a 213 contract. I work seven days a week during football season with a average of 12 per day ( excluding weekends...but I work at least 12 hours per weekend). I grade essays, prepare lectures, and then go to a field house and help conduct practice and weight lifting until 7 every night. I then get to grade homework and essays for about 2 hours a night. I have been doing this for 19 years and I make $53K. I am not telling private business because all one has to do is get on their school website and you can find out what every teacher/admin/ janitor makes who works for a school according to state law. I say all of this to say I knew what I was getting in to when I did it. But what gets my goat is when people get mad because a coach uses whatever leverage they have to make their family better off because others didn’t get to do it. My wife taught SPED for years AND coached. Now she teaches drama and art and doesn’t coach and makes as much as she did before. The days of coaches having four PE/Health classes are quickly going away. School districts are wanting coaches who can teach and coach because usually the classroom management is better and amazingly coaches can get certain things across to kids that others might not be able to do. Don’t be mad that a coach figured out how to be able to secure a little financial security for HIS family. Be glad that someone was able to get a little better off
Amen

XFalkonz

Quote from: Almatrackster on April 19, 2018, 10:46:00 am
Great!

Hmm, I'm mainly talking football here, and I don't see football coaches in the majority teaching the class load you teach.

Do you think that if Arkadelphia teachers are protesting this, they are in the wrong? Aren't they just using their own leverage to make the situation better for themselves?
The question I have is hAve is that is the coach being compensated for his teaching work or for his extra-curricular activity work? Is his base teaching salary going up or his stipend going up? As coaches, we are reminded by academic admins that we are compensated for our academic work AND our extra-curricular work is a separate salary. If he is getting a raise in his teaching salary instead of his extra-curricular stipends then yes they have a right to be upset. If he is getting a boost to his extra-curricular stipend then no they don't have a protest

Overdahill

The best teacher for me in HS was my position coach. Why? because he didn't take any BS from me because I was an athlete. Quite the opposite, his expectations were higher than mine and he made me do my best work in class or it was gonna be ugly at practice every afternoon

cuckoobird

I did the math for the ex wife one time. Adding in the extra time she worked and subtracting all the time she got off her hourly wage was around $25. Everyone needs to keep in mind that some people are better at planning/preparing than others and don't have to work much or any at all outside the planning period given to them by the district.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: cuckoobird on April 19, 2018, 12:22:26 pm
I did the math for the ex wife one time. Adding in the extra time she worked and subtracting all the time she got off her hourly wage was around $25. Everyone needs to keep in mind that some people are better at planning/preparing than others and don’t have to work much or any at all outside the planning period given to them by the district.
She has to be pretty smart.

AT

April 19, 2018, 01:21:43 pm #105 Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 04:52:50 pm by Almatrackster
Quote from: XFalkonz on April 19, 2018, 11:01:24 am
The question I have is hAve is that is the coach being compensated for his teaching work or for his extra-curricular activity work? Is his base teaching salary going up or his stipend going up? As coaches, we are reminded by academic admins that we are compensated for our academic work AND our extra-curricular work is a separate salary. If he is getting a raise in his teaching salary instead of his extra-curricular stipends then yes they have a right to be upset. If he is getting a boost to his extra-curricular stipend then no they don't have a protest

But that's the crux of it. The extra curricular work. The stipends. The "Additional Duties As Needed".

I think it comes back to the fact again that many coaches don't take the same teaching load as you do. You would probably deserve this pay increase and perhaps Coach Eldridge does, but what if his job is basically PE, health, and then football in season?

What if a teacher at Arkadelphia feels that his leverage for his extra time and more money isn't justified? And if it is justified, then why aren't their additional duties as a teacher compensated proportionately?

Pat Swilling

Good luck defending your title.  7AAAA rough league

RZback

I don't see the majority of coaches getting "cake" schedules.  Yes, some do  and those are mostly Head Coaches who are often AD as well.  Most of the assistants are teaching full schedules and then working a massive number of hours as a coach.  Most also coach more than one sport and have off season and summer programs to worry about.  As in most things a few coaches who get the gravy make a bad impression on all coaches.  Most coaches are also good classroom teachers teaching core subjects all day and then getting a few bucks an hour for another 30+ hours a week for most of the year.  Then are called bums if they don't win a championship.

AT

Quote from: RZback on April 23, 2018, 10:36:54 am
I don't see the majority of coaches getting "cake" schedules.  Yes, some do  and those are mostly Head Coaches who are often AD as well.  Most of the assistants are teaching full schedules and then working a massive number of hours as a coach.  Most also coach more than one sport and have off season and summer programs to worry about.  As in most things a few coaches who get the gravy make a bad impression on all coaches.  Most coaches are also good classroom teachers teaching core subjects all day and then getting a few bucks an hour for another 30+ hours a week for most of the year.  Then are called bums if they don't win a championship.

The matter being that we are talking about the head coach here.

Iknewthemwhen

OH!  Seemed like a lot of the talk was coaches in general.  As for the HC no body made the district give them all raises.  Eldridge could be at Conway today.

scrapman

Quote from: beach bum on April 18, 2018, 01:46:48 pm
I love sports as much as anyone.... But let's be real. There is a difference in the importance of teaching someone how to throw a football and teaching them science or math. What percentage of these kids playing small town football in Arkansas go on to make money playing the sport? We all know the answer to that question and its insanely little. Many, many more kids from this state will go onto make differences with their job in a technology based field in which their education all started in a classroom somewhere. Yes, coaches with the same tenure as a teacher deserve more than the teacher. But, lets's be real..... 20-25K more is absolutely absurd.
How many classroom teachers do you think would give up their summer to go to work every day for an extended 50 days. That's going from a 190 to 240 contract does. Yes they do work now during the summer but getting like 6 days of pd is not the same as working all but two dead weeks. I have talked to several teachers about it and not one even hesitated in saying there is no way they would, the school can keep their money. Now add in all the other days, weekends, other duties, all the things that have been mentioned.  Most schools are ghost towns 30 min after the bell rings. Guess who is still there, coaches. They coach, wait for kids to get picked up by late rides, drive kids home, etc. Most have a second sport as well so they get to do this year round. The Arkadelphia coaches are getting paid for the days that they work.  Now for that English or math teacher, last I checked our state wasn't just killing it in education nationally. They keep having to lower the praxis scores just so we can get college graduates to be able to pass so they can teach. 

AT

Quote from: scrapman on April 23, 2018, 10:12:58 pm
How many classroom teachers do you think would give up their summer to go to work every day for an extended 50 days. That's going from a 190 to 240 contract does. Yes they do work now during the summer but getting like 6 days of pd is not the same as working all but two dead weeks. I have talked to several teachers about it and not one even hesitated in saying there is no way they would, the school can keep their money. Now add in all the other days, weekends, other duties, all the things that have been mentioned.  Most schools are ghost towns 30 min after the bell rings. Guess who is still there, coaches. They coach, wait for kids to get picked up by late rides, drive kids home, etc. Most have a second sport as well so they get to do this year round. The Arkadelphia coaches are getting paid for the days that they work.  Now for that English or math teacher, last I checked our state wasn't just killing it in education nationally. They keep having to lower the praxis scores just so we can get college graduates to be able to pass so they can teach.

What? Do you think a head football coach would trade their schedule with a math or English teacher schedule?

I subbed for 2 years before getting into education, and I was ecstatic any time I had a head coach. Heck they don't even always get subs for coaches.

AT

I think coaches are fairly compensated, but I don't think it is petty for teachers to protest a head coach getting a huge stipend plus his assistants. If that is petty, then how petty is it to go accept a high school head coaching job and make those kids think you are going to be their coach, only to go back on your word for leverage?

A coach's time is talked about ad naseum here and I know about it. My father was one, my uncle is one, and I volunteered for two years as one (track and football).

I did spend some extraordinary hours, but I also taught a full load of math since I was just volunteering. This was by my own choice, so I never complained.

That said, even at small schools, with coaches who have to coach two or three sports (I've only worked at small schools), they sacrifice their summers, but their school year...in season for their sports takes a lot of time, although their 'secondary' sport really never takes too much time, unless they are football/basketball (rare, but can happen). Offseason for them, though? They get their deserved break. Leave right when the bell rings (as is claimed most teachers do in this thread).

During season? Any student will tell you the best time to have a coach for health or history is during their season. Where do you think their time is devoted?

Iknewthemwhen

There are coaches out there with pretty easy schedules when it comes to being a classroom teacher but there are plenty that spend enough time between teaching class, preparation and then athletics to being doing two 40 hour weeks.

AT

Quote from: Iknewthemwhen on April 24, 2018, 02:13:04 pm
There are coaches out there with pretty easy schedules when it comes to being a classroom teacher but there are plenty that spend enough time between teaching class, preparation and then athletics to being doing two 40 hour weeks.

True enough. I think for head coaches in football, I wouldn't say plenty, though.

Iknewthemwhen

Well probably not at the big schools, but I think at smaller schools most everybody usually teaches. One guy may be AD but the rest are coaching.

scrapman

Quote from: Almatrackster on April 24, 2018, 11:25:36 am
What? Do you think a head football coach would trade their schedule with a math or English teacher schedule?

I subbed for 2 years before getting into education, and I was ecstatic any time I had a head coach. Heck they don't even always get subs for coaches.
No I don't. That's why they got into coaching. If a teacher wanted to coach then they should have got into coaching. Coaches don't complain about the money insurance guys make.  If they want iinsurance money go sell insurance. If teachers want 225 to 240 day contracts and like 1000-2000 stipend to coach, get after it.  Yes teachers are important. Yes they are underpaid. Look at the strikes all over the nation. Are coaches overpaid? No, I don't believe so In my opinion.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas