• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Booneville @ Charleston tonight

Started by BigMan15, December 09, 2016, 11:11:19 am

Previous topic - Next topic

BigMan15

Charleston still without football players take on the Bearcats at home tonight. Fenner is 11 points away from 2000. Ill take Charleston by 15.

ACE

What time do the games start? And is it JV or just SR high?

BigMan15

actually its jr high boys and girls and sr boys and girls so a long night. sr boys i would think would be around 730-8 somewhere in there but honestly that sr girls game could be a good one

ACE

Awesome, thanks man. May make the trip down and watch Fenner play. Your boy sure can shoot it, hoping he breaks the 3 point record.

WPWells

Just saw that Booneville won. JMO, but conference games shouldn't be played when a team still has football players.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Fred Bird on December 09, 2016, 09:56:27 pm
Just saw that Booneville won. JMO, but conference games shouldn't be played when a team still has football players.

Do these conference games really matter though? I mean if anyone in Charleston's postseason District puts them below #2 at the absolute lowest(without looking at who's in the district), they should probably be kicked out of the meeting....and I'm saying that with 3 months to go in the season...

BigMan15

Yes the Bearcats got the win at Charleston tonight. Charleston looked like they werent ready to play at all. First half Ewing and Fenner looked great but second half everything went south. Congrats to the Bearcats on the conference win and hopefully Charleston looks better next outing at the Coke Classic.

WPWells

Well I mean they'd still get a conference championship trophy (I assume) and all trophies mean something....

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Fred Bird on December 09, 2016, 10:01:47 pm
Well I mean they'd still get a conference championship trophy (I assume) and all trophies mean something....

Pssshh...Just something to collect dust in that empty(Sarcasm obviously) trophy case in Charleston 8)

1-Adam-12

Couldn't say I saw this one coming.  But the Cats played a near flawless second half with only 4 turnovers. 

We made three changes to the lineup, and started four sophomores tonight.  All of them played very well indeed, and the players who had been starting took it well and made major contributions.

A big turning point was when Ewing fouled out.  Fenner then had to try to shoulder the load mostly by himself, though Green had some moments. 

Yes, the Tigers didn't have their football players, but you have to play with what you have.  I see the point made by Fred Bird and it is well taken. 

Still a big win for the Bearcats who had been struggling lately.  It was the shot in the arm they needed.

fbisgreat

From what i could tell Chs only has 4 players that can play ball.Ewing had 20 at half but picked up his 4th foul with 6 mins left in 3rd and set out until 6 mins left in game and then fouled out with 5 mins left and then rowland fouled out with 2 mins left in game with Chs ahead by 2 Coach Ross  gets a T and Booneville hits 2 free throws and gets the ball and hits a 3 and that was pretty much ball game.But next week CHS gets 4 players back that will make for a lot better team.

nastynice

fbisgreat

Like the guy said 2nd half Booneville played ready good.Charleston played good 1st half but could't get much going in 2nd half.

MICHAELSPAPPY

Frankly, I was pleasantly surprised by Booneville. I had heard they were better, but I was unconvinced. They are a decent basketball team this year, and will win some games. I still think Charleston beats Booneville comfortably eight times out of ten, but to Booneville's coach's credit, his team came out ready to play in the second half and got it done. One thing Booneville did that most high school teams don't do (or college teams, for that matter) is that they consistently made the two-foot shots around the basket, even in traffic. Their ability to do that kept them in the game. Charleston had that "deer in the headlights" look for a while in the third quarter, and then it became a back-and-forth game. Right now Charleston is "live by the 3, die by the 3," but that should change to some degree after football.

1-Adam-12

I think that the T on Coach Ross was not for arguing the call on Ewing that fouled him out, but for not getting a sub in for him in a timely manner according to the new rule.

Booneville finished around the rim better than I've seen them all year.  Two players specifically.  One of them was one of the sophomores who got the start for the first time and the other was a senior who had been starting that came off the bench last night.

The Cats take on Subi at our place on Monday.

Longfellow

Isn't the new rule 15 seconds for the sub?

BigLion10

Yea you don't have to long to sub now LF

tanman6334

Quote from: fbisgreat on December 09, 2016, 11:23:41 pm
then rowland fouled out with 2 mins left in game
Just wanting to make sure but I thought Football boys weren't back yet.

YC

December 11, 2016, 12:48:14 am #18 Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 01:12:04 am by IofthaTiger
^^^
Blaine Rowland = basketball
Jackson Rowland = football

No relationship

Now we get our two big men. Other teams putting their bigs under the goal and putting up shot after shot until they make one will soon be over.

3rdpartyperspective

Quote from: IofthaTiger on December 11, 2016, 12:48:14 am
^^^
Now we get our two big men. Other teams putting their bigs under the goal and putting up shot after shot until they make one will soon be over.

I hope that Charleston's team is getting some Receivers from the football team so that they can catch some of those passes that were flying out of bounds all game Friday night.  As I sat in the stands watching the game against Booneville, the Charleston fans were telling me how great the players were that were on the court, bragging about the accomplishments of Brandon Fenner and how great a shooter not only he was but Chase Ewing, Michael Green and Blaine Rowland were.  These fans continued this all through the first half of the game and it wasn't until Booneville started closing the gap with Charleston making mistake after mistake that these same fans started bombarding me with excuses (well we don't have our football players, these refs don't like us, the refs are intentionally calling fouls on Chase Ewing because he is 6 for 6 from 3pt range, etc....).  First off, Charleston had 14 players suited out on the bench.  I must assume that these 14 kids play only Basketball and have worked out with the team all Spring and Summer as most players for other schools have.  Why did only 7 players play?  I guess that is best summed up from what I overheard being said by a Charleston parent whose son was playing.  The lady beside him asked why the Charleston coach didn't put some of the other kids in the game to help out since there were starters getting into foul trouble.  His response was simple and to the point "Those kids don't play, they are just there to ride the bench".  Now how is it that they practice just the same as the other players on the court but apparently aren't good enough to sub into a game?   Booneville by what I heard has 24 kids on their team and only gained 3 players from Football when the season ended.  They played 10 to 12 kids throughout the game, none of which were Football players that had joined the team after the season ended.  Is Charleston that dependent on Football players that the 2015/16 Class 3A state runner up can't put a team on the basketball court that is capable of playing with the same intensity as they do with the additional football players?  Also as far as teams putting their bigs under the goal to put up shot after shot, Booneville's 6'7" Center played high post guarding a Forward/Guard all night while a 5'11" and 5'10 guard drove to the basket along with a 6'1" and 6'3" Forward.  So say what you want about bigs playing low beating you, Booneville's kids just out played them.  I think Charleston just got caught with their pants down, overlooking a non-basketball school which Booneville is known to be.  Booneville was just able to outplay/outlast Brandon Fenner, who only had 14pts for the night, Chase Ewing, who was on fire from 3pt land but charging over Booneville's sophomores for fouls in the lane, Michael Green and Blaine Rowland who even with Charleston Football players are fully competent enough to be on the starting lineup which they already are.   Yes Charleston may be a better team with their Football players and yes they may very well beat Booneville when they play again on Jan. 19th, but as for the 2016/17 season, they can possibly only claim one win against what was overheard from another Charleston fan as "A Booneville team that only plays garbage teams throughout the season and can't hang with tough teams such as us (Charleston) and others when it comes down to Conference and District time.

YC

^^^^^
Nice book and some very good and accurate input. When I first glanced at your post I thought I had angered the Booneville coach or a Booneville fan. After rereading it and letting the statements you made sink in, it became obvious you are not the coach and very well may have just been a fan of the game or perhaps indeed a Booneville fan. It's hard to determine because you were very careful how you worded most statements—but did get your points across.

If you are a Booneville fan I can see how I angered you with my statement about the bigs. I made a mistake by putting it in a Booneville thread because I meant it as a statement in general as to how things have played out in the games played so far this year.

These two big kids--actually there are three—I was referring too are not that big. The Tigers will still be undersized in most games but will be more physical and have more scoring and rebound ability under the basket. They will still most likely be out rebounded in most games.

You are correct about them committing mistake after mistake. They played a very sloppy game. When things starting going south about mid 3rd quarter it got even worse.

Yes, they do need the kids that are playing football. There are four and perhaps five that can add a lot of stability and depth to this team once they become accustom to the switch over.

Yes, Michal Green and Blaine Rowland are very good players and have earned their stripes. I know for a fact Coach Ross likes both a lot. It will be very hard for any coming from the football team to dislodge them. However there are a couple that can spell them with very little or no drop off if they need a rest or get into foul trouble.

You devoted a lot of your post talking about the fans. Yes, fans can be arrogant and obnoxious and Charleston certainly has their share, but so do others and they are just as bad and sometimes worse. However it seems to be the in thing to do for other to always bring up how bad the Charleston fans are. I think I know why that is but I for now will just leave that alone.

Charleston very well may not win this conference. The game last Friday night now makes it an uphill battle but there are a lot of games left to play. It really doesn't matter (except for bragging rights) because as screwed up as basketball is now it's only an exhibition season until district time anyway. Having coaches vote on seeding is a joke. I've seen coach's performances in the past when comes to voting all conference and all state in football—you help me get my boy in and I'll help you get your boy in.

You ask why Coach Ross doesn't sub and you saw the game last Friday night and can't see that?...amazing!!! I know since we are now a society where political correctness takes prescience over truth and honesty I'm not suppose to say that—but I did and that the way it is.   

Since you wrote a book I did as well.     

3rdpartyperspective

Chapter 3 lol

There was no anger here, just a basketball fan from the area so I know both teams so I was watching a game and observed some points.

Definitely not angered about the bigs statement, just stating what I saw from Booneville.  Charleston did have Fenner who has been reported as 6'3" to 6'4" but couldn't make things happen when he drove inside.  Also had a kid that looked like a football player and seemed to be used only for that purpose of blocking.  I guess I expected to see more from them driving to the basket but it seemed that Charlestons team was more focused on driving in just to draw the defenders off the 3pt line so they could kick the ball back out for the long shots.

Im not sure how the Tigers will be undersized with these football players since I know Hampton is 6'4" as well. Class 3A schools aren't typically loaded with big players but Charleston was able to play 3 kids last year that were 6'3" to 6'5".  This would constitute a big team for 90 to 95% of Class 3A.

I was actually shocked by how many passes Charleston made to areas where there were virtually no players even standing.  What I saw was they they weren't playing as a team, but rather getting mad at each other.  This was something I'm definitely not used to seeing from a Charleston team. 

Yes I spoke alot about the fans, I have friends from both Charleston and Booneville as well as pretty much all surrounding areas so I hear talk about all teams.  The reason I brought this up was that for a team that has been projected to be as good as Charleston is supposed to be, I have heard more excuses for why they have been beaten by teams than I would expect to hear from this caliber of teams fan base.  I spoke to Booneville fans as well and what I gathered from them was that they came into this game with high hopes but not expecting alot in the outcome of the game.  I have been around and heard alot of trash talk as well as angry parents making comments but I will have to say some things that I overheard Friday night actually embarrassing due to the how a parent of a Charleston starter started personally attacking a ref in my opinion.  I know people bring up how bad the Charleston fans are and I know why as well for the most part and will leave it alone as well even though I do have an opinion on it from my experiences.

I agree that the basketball season due to the conference arrangements are screwed up and nothing will really matter until district rolls around.  The same can be said for Booneville as far as they very well may not win the conference and they aren't expected to even finish out of the bottom 3.  I just think Booneville will surprise some teams this year like they did Charleston Friday night

The reason for asking about subbing wasn't based on them being the same caliber as Fenner or Ewing.  My question was if Charleston has an off season program for Basketball like other schools have and I know that they played through the summer, then how/why is it justifiable to say that the team basically has 7 players right now that are only filling spots on the bench.  Im not a believer in participation trophies but honestly are these players not capable of subbing in for a few minutes to help out when players are in foul trouble or so the coach can discuss things with a player on the bench? 

1-Adam-12

December 11, 2016, 11:00:36 pm #22 Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 11:07:57 pm by 1-Adam-12
Chapter 4, I guess.

On the debate about the big men.  Booneville only had to put it up over and over ONCE that I recall, that was early in the 4th quarter.  Otherwise they were finishing very well.

We were coming off a couple of pretty mediocre games where we were starting four seniors and the 6-7 sophomore post player. And we were also playing on back-to-back nights both on the road, and Thursday night's trip was over an hour to Acorn.

So I would surmise that Coach decided to shake up the lineup.  Whatever happened, the displaced players came off the bench when needed and played extremely well.  In fact the leading scorer on the night was one of those that came off the bench after having been a starter.  I would think we got 30+ of our points off the bench.

Ewing was called for charging three times.  Twice it was one of the Booneville sophomores who drew it.

I too was shocked that Charleston was committing so many turnovers (I had them for 22).  There were a lot of passes to nobody.  Also Fenner one time was (I guess) thinking about how he was going to break down the man guarding him, and he dribbled it off his leg for an over-and-back.

Yes, Charleston will be better with the football players.  Jackson Rowland hit three after three in both games that we played them last season.  They well may take our measure come the 19th of January.  But if we keep playing like this, there may be a crowd that night like no one's seen in a long time for boys' basketball in Booneville.

And yes, the combined conference thing is absolutely ridiculous and not just for basketball. During volleyball season when the 4A part of our conference had their meeting, Ashdown tried to put their sophomore middle in for All-State over our senior middle who had broken every Booneville record for kills save one.  They got voted down.  And it just so happened that our girls ended up playing Ashdown at district tournament and our girl dominated theirs.  So that time it worked.

But I digress.  Booneville must play three 4A schools (Subi, Ozark, Waldron) and four 3A's (Charleston, Paris, Cedarville, Mansfield).  The rest of the 4A's in our regular conference come from two different districts.  One, West Fork, I don't think will play ANY team from our district unless we play them at the Mansfield tournament.  And they would have to get past Lamar to have a chance to do that.

Dover, Dardy and Pottsville are the rest of our conference.  I know that Pottsville and Dardy have played Charleston, and I know that Pottsville won in OT and Dardy (I think) lost (correct me if wrong).  As for Dover, they had to come from 10 down to beat Western Yell.  With all due respect, that pretty much sums them up.

What I have heard is that this combined conference fiasco will only live for this cycle.  I certainly hope what I heard is right.

CoolBreeze

I certainly agree re the combined conference. What a ridiculous idea!

ChucktownTiger

Reinforcements are on the way. Bout to crank up the 6th man and Nucleus. Tiger basketball is about to get real. Buckle-up, one heck of a ride is on the way.

nastynice

Booneville beating Chuck in Chuckville was an anomaly. Just like Chuck beating Booneville twice the same year in Football. Neither anomaly will happen again!

ChucktownTiger

Quote from: nastynice on December 12, 2016, 06:06:34 pm
Booneville beating Chuck in Chuckville was an anomaly. Just like Chuck beating Booneville twice the same year in Football. Neither anomaly will happen again!

Lol you gotta think Ross is feeling the heat after this one. I mean Me Dynasty Adapted Captain O and Fred Bird aka Buckets should be able to beat bville in basketball 9-10 times. Lol

nastynice

That's because y'all would put adapted down low and just feed him the ball all night!

The Dynasty

Quote from: nastynice on December 12, 2016, 07:02:01 pm
That's because y'all would put adapted down low and just feed him the ball all night!

Key word being feed!

1-Adam-12

Well, after tonight it's not an anomaly that Booneville is 2-0 in the combined.  They beat Subi by 8. 

adaptedtigerfan

Here's the deal.  I take a 1 day break from this place, and Dynasty and his cohorts gonna hang up on me.   First time I've looked @ a 🏀thread all year and here I am on blast!!     I see how it's gonna be. 

nastynice

Quote from: ChucktownTiger on December 12, 2016, 06:58:09 pm
Lol you gotta think Ross is feeling the heat after this one. I mean Me Dynasty Adapted Captain O and Fred Bird aka Buckets should be able to beat bville in basketball 9-10 times. Lol
Well, considering he was posting on Facebook minutes before tipoff, I'd say he wasn't too worried about the game.

Quote from: The Dynasty on December 12, 2016, 07:13:18 pm
Key word being feed!
I think he's expecting a bad winter!

OLDSCHOOL82

Good stuff in here.  When did they add basketball threads?!!

TRgators11

Quote from: ChucktownTiger on December 12, 2016, 02:42:37 pm
Reinforcements are on the way. Bout to crank up the 6th man and Nucleus. Tiger basketball is about to get real. Buckle-up, one heck of a ride is on the way.
LOL YOU LOST TO BOONEVILLE, GIVE IT A REST CHUCKTOWNTIGER. CHUCKTOWN CANT BEAT BOONEVILLE EVEN WITH YOUR 3 BEST PLAYERS, FENNER, EWING, AND GREEN. DISAPPOINTMENT.

nastynice

Quote from: TRgators11 on December 13, 2016, 11:01:26 am
LOL YOU LOST TO BOONEVILLE, GIVE IT A REST CHUCKTOWNTIGER. CHUCKTOWN CANT BEAT BOONEVILLE EVEN WITH YOUR 3 BEST PLAYERS, FENNER, EWING, AND GREEN. DISAPPOINTMENT.
Not that I enjoy defending Chuck, but Booneville does have a decent little team this year. Don't worry, it won't happen again.

This Cat team is pretty tough and good at dribbling the ball, because we practice outside on our 4 goal, full court concrete playground! All the rocks and cracks on the court help the kids with their ball handling skills and strengthens their ankles.

BigMan15

Heres the thing, Booneville won, the game is over, congrats, have a parade if youd like, the difference in winning and moving on!!!

ChucktownTiger

Quote from: TRgators11 on December 13, 2016, 11:01:26 am

So sensitive! I was having a little fun with ole Nasty. Great win for bville but don't kid yourself it wouldn't happen again if they played 10 timesv

OLDSCHOOL82

Quote from: ChucktownTiger on December 13, 2016, 12:04:33 pm
So sensitive! I was having a little fun with ole Nasty. Great win for bville but don't kid yourself it wouldn't happen again if they played 10 timesv

CT, he seems to have an issue with you.  Did you two step with his lady back in the day?

ChucktownTiger

Quote from: OLDSCHOOL82 on December 13, 2016, 12:33:04 pm
CT, he seems to have an issue with you.  Did you two step with his lady back in the day?

She probably wouldn't be with him if I had. One of those deals, once you've had the bull, no need for a calf. Now from what I hear Nastys made his rounds in bville over the years

The Dynasty

I'll be highly surprised if Booneville plays Charleston within 20 the next time these two meet.

OLDSCHOOL82

Quote from: ChucktownTiger on December 13, 2016, 01:06:41 pm
She probably wouldn't be with him if I had. One of those deals, once you've had the bull, no need for a calf. Now from what I hear Nastys made his rounds in bville over the years

He was the true definition of the term "Cat"!

ChucktownTiger

I'll say this, I'm not sure who they were but I sat by some ladies who said they were from Booneville and let me tell you. They aren't the normal gals I see when visiting the bville Walmart. Somebody said something like the Ray sisters and maybe a sister inlaw. Anywho, made dealing with the loss a little easier.

nastynice

^That post could be for about 5 different posters on FF. Several Ray girls and their men love sports and FF that's for sure!

ChucktownTiger

1-Adam-12

Well, well.  Who would have thought Booneville basketball would generate this much to-do on Fearless?!

The Dynasty

Quote from: 1-Adam-12 on December 13, 2016, 04:10:38 pm
Well, well.  Who would have thought Booneville basketball would generate this much to-do on Fearless?!

I heard Booneville took the game ball and already put it in their trophy case. Is this true?

ChucktownTiger

Quote from: The Dynasty on December 13, 2016, 04:47:33 pm
I heard Booneville took the game ball and already put it in their trophy case. Is this true?

Maybe we can get Crowley to go pop it. You know he's still a Tiger at heart. Idk how he could possibly wear that purple and gold.

The Dynasty

Quote from: ChucktownTiger on December 13, 2016, 04:54:12 pm
Maybe we can get Crowley to go pop it. You know he's still a Tiger at heart. Idk how he could possibly wear that purple and gold.

If Doc won't Smitty will for sure. That guy bleeds black and gold.

RTF

I know right? i mean.... who puts gold as a team color? :)

OLDSCHOOL82

We canceled the rest of the season!! 2-0 baby! Crowley was born purple and gold and just had a brief iv of black and gold.  He went on dialysis to get all that junk out and it's locked in purple and gold now.  Coach S is hooked up as we speak.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas