• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas Tech Signees

Started by wildtechcat, February 01, 2006, 06:49:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

wildtechcat

Chris Anuszek 6'4 290 OL LR Mills
Letroy Ayers 5'11 270 DL Longview TX
Major Baker 5'11 155 WR Amite LA
Eric Bonnett 6'1 175 WR Hamburg
Joe Bryant 5'11 175 DB Stuttgart
Antoine Fisher 5'10 230 DE Laplace LA
Matt Garrett 6'5 320 OL Morrilton
Michael Green 5'9 170 WR Warren
Cody Hamlin 6'2 290 OL Van Buren
Ryan Hornsby 6'3 290 OL Lafayette LA
Jamaal Jackson 5'9 165 DB Amite LA
Ben Johnson 6'2 190 QB Hamburg
Justin Johnson 6'4 275 OL Lavaca
Leonard King 6'0 190 DB LR Mills
Matt Kitchens 6'1 225 LB Russellville
Josh Langley 6'1 185 QB Benton
Danny Martin 6'2 215 DE Tulsa OK
Matt Moats 6'5 275 OL Booneville
Xavier Murry 5'11 215 FB West Memphis
James Neal 6'2 225 DE Batesville
LeKyron Pickett 5'11 225 LB Stuttgart
Lionel Robertson 5'11 270 DT Baton Rouge LA
Ronald Rucker 6'1 170 WR Lake Village
Daniel Shaw 5'11 225 FB/LB Booneville
Johnny Waldrop 6'4 300 OL/DL Prairie Grove
Brandon Wright 5'11 185 DB Stuttgart
Torrence Wright 6'2 270 OL Sulphur Springs TX

SandLizard04

Yall got a steal in Kitchens. He will be a very good player for the Wonder Boys.

Eddie Goodson

LeKyron Pickett will be on the Gulfsouth Freshman 1st team. IMO he was a D-1 player that fell through the cracks.

bbmom

Congrats to Matt Garrett from Mo-Town!
And all the other signees.

BTW...someone asked me a question about tech. If at our high school the guys are called the Devil Dogs and the girls are called the Lady Devil Dogs...at Tech, since the guys are the Wonder Boys, are the girls teams called "Lady Wonder Boys"?  :-\ (Please don't slap me!)

GeorgeWBush

Quote from: wildtechcat on February 01, 2006, 06:49:10 pm

I saw all of these players play either this year or last and I was very impressed.  I thought that Garrett was a D-1 type player.  Moats has tremendous ability to grow and Shaw will be a dominant defensive lineman in the future.  Johnson will redshirt and be ready when he is a sophomore and Bonnett may start next year at the 3rd receiver spot (I saw him absolutely blow by three guys from Atkins that all had angles on him that all ran 4.5 or better and he wore out Turner from Booneville in the playoffs.)

5Aplayer1

Quote from: bbmom on February 01, 2006, 10:17:29 pm
Congrats to Matt Garrett from Mo-Town!
And all the other signees.

BTW...someone asked me a question about tech. If at our high school the guys are called the Devil Dogs and the girls are called the Lady Devil Dogs...at Tech, since the guys are the Wonder Boys, are the girls teams called "Lady Wonder Boys"? :-\ (Please don't slap me!)
No Ma'am they are called the Golden Suns.

SMC

I love the O-line class Tech brought in. Matt Garrett is a beast and could be a 3 or 4 year starter. We needed linemen on both sides of the ball and the coaches brought in a LOT of bulk. Kitchens will have a lot of people thinking he is a reincarnation of Brett Hobbs very soon.

bbmom

oOo

Really...I didn't know. Thanks for telling me. I'm a really big fan of their band, but have never seen any of their sporting events.

GeorgeWBush

Quote from: SMC on February 01, 2006, 10:24:20 pm
I love the O-line class Tech brought in. Matt Garrett is a beast and could be a 3 or 4 year starter. We needed linemen on both sides of the ball and the coaches brought in a LOT of bulk. Kitchens will have a lot of people thinking he is a reincarnation of Brett Hobbs very soon.

I really like the lineman also.

I know Brett and he was a great player but Kitchens will be better than Hobbs was in the 2007 football season.

GeorgeWBush

Quote from: bbmom on February 01, 2006, 10:24:50 pm
I'm a really big fan of their band

You mean the TECH Band of Disgusting?

RHS

Don't hate W. ;D

I'm happy with their OL too. Garrett was a hoss and Kitchens will turn into one mean MLB.

SMC

Oh I agree Kitchens has the physical tools to be better than Hobbs. Where they are very similar is that they both have a tremendous motor and love contact. I really think he will excel in Coach Wheeler's unorthodox defense which really lets the LBs fly around and make plays.

tcockerham

Waht is the deal with signing two more quarterbacks.  AND why is Coe Barthell NOT on this list.  Do they not list transfers?  Now Tech has two QB's from Benton of which neither of them wee capable of getting to the third round of the state paly offs.  Although Justin Ray did impress me some last year when he got to play.  I agree with the linemen, we needed them desperately.  Did not sign a kikcer or punter it looked like.  Go Tech!

athletic supporter

Quote from: GeorgeWBushâ„¢ on February 01, 2006, 10:22:01 pm

I saw all of these players play either this year or last and I was very impressed. I thought that Garrett was a D-1 type player. Moats has tremendous ability to grow and Shaw will be a dominant defensive lineman in the future. Johnson will redshirt and be ready when he is a sophomore and Bonnett may start next year at the 3rd receiver spot (I saw him absolutely blow by three guys from Atkins that all had angles on him that all ran 4.5 or better and he wore out Turner from Booneville in the playoffs.)

Hey W, I wish I had what Moats has. How do you have tremendous ability to grow? Do you mean he has potential to grow?

D-way Trey

Quote from: SavedbyHim on February 02, 2006, 08:05:56 am
AND why is Coe Barthell NOT on this list.  Do they not list transfers? 
I imagine the list is only the high school seniors who signed yesterday, not the mid-term transfers.

SMC

Yes Barthel is already on campus which is why he is not listed. As for why they signed 2 QBs, as far as I know Ray and Aaron Rowell were the only 2 they had already and they needed some depth. Langley is also a really athletic kid that could possibly play WR or DB if needed. There is some wiggle room here.

SingleWingGuru

D-way Trey

I really liked Langley. Being honest here - and this is only one game - I thought he definitely outplayed Mask in this years game. But again, that was just one game and I trust the UCA coaches to recruit great QBs. That certainly hasn't been a weakness (except due to injury).

And once again, Tech pulls a TON of in-state kids.

cardinal-qb-14

Kitchens is a definite steal for us.  The list posted is only High school seniors on national signing day. So far we have had several transfers, primarily OL from a Mississippi Ju-co, not certain which one it is, not to mention Cole Barthel from UA, and Mike Houston from Texas. Cedric Cursh has returned and is in the offseason program as we speak. And Aaron Rowell is no longer on the team. It appears he realized he wouldnt see much playing time with both Ray and Barthel having 3 yrs of eligibility left and the Benton qb being signed as well. To my knowledge, no kickers or punters were signed or transferred. It looks as if Mullins is sticking with his 2 returning guys. Hope they arent a bust! This seems to be a great recruiting year for Tech.

tcockerham

WOW, great news that Cursh is coming back, I have not seen him play but I heard he is a monster and recieved several Gulf South honors.  Hope he can keep his nose clean.  Sorry for the slam on the Benton QB's (unintentional) and for my awful typo's in the last post!  Should have read it but I was in a hurry.

RHS

Hopefully Cursh will not have missed a beat when he comes back and stays out of trouble.

SandLizard04

Cursh and Kitchens on the same defense? Good night, that defense is going to be sick.

#1 STUNNA

michael green will make an impact quick

GeorgeWBush

Quote from: youthguy on February 02, 2006, 08:12:04 am
Quote from: GeorgeWBushâ„¢ on February 01, 2006, 10:22:01 pm

I saw all of these players play either this year or last and I was very impressed. I thought that Garrett was a D-1 type player. Moats has tremendous ability to grow and Shaw will be a dominant defensive lineman in the future. Johnson will redshirt and be ready when he is a sophomore and Bonnett may start next year at the 3rd receiver spot (I saw him absolutely blow by three guys from Atkins that all had angles on him that all ran 4.5 or better and he wore out Turner from Booneville in the playoffs.)
Hey W, I wish I had what Moats has. How do you have tremendous ability to grow? Do you mean he has potential to grow?

I hate you. ;D

GeorgeWBush

Quote from: RHS on February 03, 2006, 01:21:04 am
Hopefully Cursh will not have missed a beat when he comes back and stays out of trouble.

I really think, call me crazy, if he improves just a little from his sophomore year, he will be playing on Sundays.  If you have the talent the NFL will find you, just ask the kid (plays for the Broncos I believe) from Lakeside that played basketball and TE on the football team at UCA.

D-way Trey

Quote from: GeorgeWBushâ„¢ on February 03, 2006, 12:01:45 pm
ust ask the kid (plays for the Broncos I believe) from Lakeside that played basketball and TE on the football team at UCA.
Landon Trusty signed with the Broncos following the end of their season. He was on the Chargers practice squad all year - behind the likes of Antonio Gates of course.

stAte fan in LR

I like Tech's class.  Some really good size, although I am not so sure about Garrett.  I don't usually say anything negative about any recruit, but I didn't think he looked athletic enough.  Granted, I only saw him in the state championship though.

cardinal-qb-14

2 guys I saw on the list that havent been talked about is Leonard King (LR MILLS) and Jamaal Johnson (Amite HS in LA).  King has good size and speed and I see can immediately help out at safety while Johnson, according to stats released by his team to the tech website, was clocked at a 4.3 40 while playing DB.  Both of the those guys along with the list named before are great additions to the tech roster.

RHS

Curch was an AA the last year he played. That's all I remember.

SMC

Garrett may not be fleet of foot but once he gets his hands on you it's over. People like to talk about shut-down corners, well I like my team to have shut-down tackles. Garrett is a guy who can basically control one side of the line for you.

cardinal-qb-14

with our returners and our class of recruits and transfers we brought in, can any of you see us contending for the gsc title next year?

CIA

Looks like a good class overall.  However you never know until pre season is over. 
I liked the size of the lineman.  I saw the Garret kid play against Batesville and he is a monster.  He like all big men will need to work on their footwork but I think he has the tools. 
I wouldnt get too caught up in the 40 times.  You can bet they will slow down when they get on campus. 
As to them contending, I think they are 2 years away now.  I expect them to be good but replacing 4 starters on the O line and a new QB is tough on offense.
Looks to me like we will have alot of weapons offensively in both  the running and receiving attack as well as a QB that will add another dimension with his legs (Ray).
Defensively we have to have some corners that can stop giving up big plays.  We are stacked at TB and expect to see at least one of them on campus to  swicth to CB this spring.  If our D-Line comes through and Cursh is back in the fall it could be a very good year.

chosen_one

Quote from: CIA on February 04, 2006, 09:12:35 am
Looks to me like we will have alot of weapons offensively in both the running and receiving attack as well as a QB that will add another dimension with his legs (Ray).
I don't see J-Ray starting now that Barthel is on campus.

SMC

The way last year's O line played I'm not sure if losing 4 starters is a bad thing or a good thing. I think the skill players will execute better this year being the 2nd year of the new OC's system. They would do well to actually throw the ball to the All American tight end this year.

Cursh coming back gives this defense what it lacked last year and that is someone who can get after the QB and force some turnovers. It is hard to play in the secondary when the QB has all day to throw. Cursh coming off the edge will really help the other 10 guys on defense.

As for Tech winning the GSC, I doubt it, but I do think they will be the best GSC team in Arkansas. Valdosta is still the team to beat but if Tech gets good O-line play and shores up their pass defense then they can challenge teams like Delta State and North Alabama for a playoff bid.

5Aplayer1

I know of one starter that might not be on the team anymore. I also know of one more guy that would possibly get some playing time not on the team.

cardinal-qb-14

Quote from: 5Aplayer1 on February 04, 2006, 01:09:20 pm
I know of one starter that might not be on the team anymore. I also know of one more guy that would possibly get some playing time not on the team.
and who might those guys be?

As for the other quotes, I dont think losing Campbell at QB hurts us at all. It seems he completed more passes to the other team than he did to his own.  It is evident in the heavy rush and a below average running game last year, that losing the 4 lineman wont be a huge impact either.  I think 4 quality freshman can do as good of a job, if not better than the for graduating lineman, with the exception of maybe Stringer.  ANd Im not sure about the Barthel-Ray situation.  Both of those guys are extremely good.  I dont see either of them kept off the field.

5Aplayer1

Quote from: atu_wboy04 on February 04, 2006, 01:43:14 pm
and who might those guys be?

Until I am 100% sure I will not say any names.

cardinal-qb-14

the way you said it, it seemed as if you were 100% sure. no starter, to my knowledge has left the team, aside from the graduating ones. And no key contributors have left either. Im not sure where you are getting your info from, unless you know these guys directly and they are contemplating quitting the team.

5Aplayer1

Quote from: atu_wboy04 on February 04, 2006, 03:37:12 pm
the way you said it, it seemed as if you were 100% sure. no starter, to my knowledge has left the team, aside from the graduating ones. And no key contributors have left either. Im not sure where you are getting your info from, unless you know these guys directly and they are contemplating quitting the team.
I know them personally, and who I found out from knows them personally.

5Aplayer1

Found out the start wasn't true. But, the other one is true.

CIA

Are you saying he quit or was kicked off???

cardinal-qb-14

I think I know the guy you are talking about that quit that played a little.  Was he in the secondary and graduate high school in 2004?

5Aplayer1

Yep...PM me with that name you are talking about.

CIA

and did he play at Russelliville HS?  If so thats not big news. 

ArrowsATC

Quote from: TreyUCA on February 03, 2006, 12:47:43 pm
Quote from: GeorgeWBushâ„¢ on February 03, 2006, 12:01:45 pm
ust ask the kid (plays for the Broncos I believe) from Lakeside that played basketball and TE on the football team at UCA.
Landon Trusty signed with the Broncos following the end of their season. He was on the Chargers practice squad all year - behind the likes of Antonio Gates of course.
Landon actually was bumped up from the practice squad following a mid-season injury. He is currently at UCA working on his degree before he goes to Denver

tcockerham

I heard Barthell is looking good in what little preseason he has played?  Could be a banner year for Tech!  Go Tech!

hsu1

that was good timing for him to come since campbell is gone now

cardinal-qb-14

From what I have seen, both Ray and Barthel blow campbell out of the water. Their (ray and barthel) individual talent and potential give tech way more weapons than a drop back quarterback that consistently threw INT's for us last year. The decision on who will be starter next season will be a tough choice as Barthel has great accuracy while Ray is one of the fastest players on the team. Both will benefit us next season

RHS

QuoteTheir (ray and barthel) individual talent and potential give tech way more weapons than a drop back quarterback that consistently threw INT's for us last year.

I doubt either would have done much better last year with 4 new guys starting on the line and all the injuries that plagued our WR's. We had practically no running game and a new offense. Wasn't the best year for anyone on offense. Everyone seems to forget how well Campbell did his first year at ATU. Everyone loved him then.

cardinal-qb-14

Campbell did do ok in the beginning of the '04 season, but he did struggle towards the end and played horrible in the Albany State playoff game in round 2. However, I think that offensive coordinator Todd Cooley made things pretty simple for Campbell also.  You see how well Cooley did with us and then uca the next season.  Not bashing Campbell, but I do think that the 2 other qb's are alot more talented.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas