• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Carlisle vs. Baptist Prep

Started by LC sports, September 15, 2018, 12:33:08 am

Previous topic - Next topic

LC sports

Carlisle 12, Baptist Prep 12. (Tie).
This will be the only 48 minute regulation tie not affected by weather in the state in the last 3 years.

From what I gathered, the officials did not know the rules when it pertains to overtime in nonconference games. And that is just sad. Granted, I wasn't there so I didn't see how well or how well they didn't call the game. And a lot of that is judgment on their part. However, the OT rule was changed 3 years ago. The fact that the officials didn't know the rules is not a good thing.

Carlisle and Baptist are two teams who are struggling but both are getting better. A victory by either one tonight would have been a good thing for them heading into their respective conference seasons. It's just sad that the officials didn't know the rule.

If I had been there, I would have pulled up the AAA handbook on my phone or had even asked the official on the side where I would have been standing to make sure they knew that OT was a possibility. And if they said no, I would have shown them the rule or gone Last Chance U Buddy Stevens on them. Hopefully, Coach Greene would have had my back.

So instead of a win, the Bison have their first time since at 14-14 tie, I believe, with Perryville in the 2008 season. That was Scott Waymire's third season and Perryville was coached by former Bison coach James Clayton.

Sonofasonofasailor

Quote from: LC sports on September 15, 2018, 12:33:08 am
Carlisle 12, Baptist Prep 12. (Tie).
This will be the only 48 minute regulation tie not affected by weather in the state in the last 3 years.

From what I gathered, the officials did not know the rules when it pertains to overtime in nonconference games. And that is just sad. Granted, I wasn't there so I didn't see how well or how well they didn't call the game. And a lot of that is judgment on their part. However, the OT rule was changed 3 years ago. The fact that the officials didn't know the rules is not a good thing.

Carlisle and Baptist are two teams who are struggling but both are getting better. A victory by either one tonight would have been a good thing for them heading into their respective conference seasons. It's just sad that the officials didn't know the rule.

If I had been there, I would have pulled up the AAA handbook on my phone or had even asked the official on the side where I would have been standing to make sure they knew that OT was a possibility. And if they said no, I would have shown them the rule or gone Last Chance U Buddy Stevens on them. Hopefully, Coach Greene would have had my back.

So instead of a win, the Bison have their first time since at 14-14 tie, I believe, with Perryville in the 2008 season. That was Scott Waymire's third season and Perryville was coached by former Bison coach James Clayton.

Did either (or both) coach protest?  Probably wouldn't have done any good, kinda like complaining about a phantom holding call, but it would be worth the try.

Pick_DA_EAGLES

maybe, just maybe, neither coach argued the call to end the game in a tie because this way you are not on a 3 game losing streak. maybe they figure they can build off the tie, easier than they could another loss. an overtime loss could have been more detrimental to the teams confidence than the tie. just be glad you didn't lose.

bigworm

Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on September 15, 2018, 08:29:47 am
maybe, just maybe, neither coach argued the call to end the game in a tie because this way you are not on a 3 game losing streak. maybe they figure they can build off the tie, easier than they could another loss. an overtime loss could have been more detrimental to the teams confidence than the tie. just be glad you didn't lose.

Thats exactly what i was thinkin. Both were tickled pink that the refs didnt know.

BisonFan1

Quote from: Sonofasonofasailor on September 15, 2018, 06:55:43 am
Did either (or both) coach protest?  Probably wouldn't have done any good, kinda like complaining about a phantom holding call, but it would be worth the try.

My thoughts exactly.  Like you said, not sure it would have made much of a difference, but if they could have pulled it up in the AAA handbook, maybe that would have convinced the officials to change their mind.  Either way, that was a game Carlisle was favored to win and should have won. 

Sonofasonofasailor

September 15, 2018, 10:12:35 am #5 Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 10:16:32 am by Sonofasonofasailor
Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on September 15, 2018, 08:29:47 am

This always cracks me up.

HorseFeathers

Was told by someone from Baptist that both coaches protested, and the refs told them it counted as a tie no matter the OT result.... That's second hand info at best...so if it's true maybe it boiled down to those refs just wanted to go home lol

bigworm

Refs were ready for that free hot dog.

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: bigworm on September 15, 2018, 11:25:59 am
Refs were ready for that free hot dog.

worm you know they give them refs Nicks while at Carlisle, well at least they did, maybe that's why they haven't won much lately....... ;D ;D

Sonofasonofasailor

Quote from: BisonFan1 on September 15, 2018, 09:17:51 am
My thoughts exactly.  Like you said, not sure it would have made much of a difference, but if they could have pulled it up in the AAA handbook, maybe that would have convinced the officials to change their mind.  Either way, that was a game Carlisle was favored to win and should have won.

Well, it looks like the coaches were also unaware of the rules.  Kudos to him for taking responsibility.

"It was a poor job on all sides — officials, coaches, everybody for not knowing, enforcing, pushing the current rule," Carlisle coach Caleb Shock said. "For years and years and years, non-conference games could end in a tie. You've got officials and coaches both who did not pursue it the way it should have been done."

Shock said he will take the blame for the game not being played to a conclusion.
"Ultimately, I'm going to put it on me," he said. "Nobody knew the correct rule. if I had done my job and known it, I would have just sat out there on the field and argued and not got off the field until we got a rulebook and gotten the right thing done."

MomaLion

eagle1

Quote from: HorseFeathers on September 15, 2018, 11:14:58 am
Was told by someone from Baptist that both coaches protested, and the refs told them it counted as a tie no matter the OT result.... That's second hand info at best...so if it's true maybe it boiled down to those refs just wanted to go home lol

This is exactly what the white hat told both coaches.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas