• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Nettleton Basketball

Started by birddawg1986, March 23, 2019, 06:02:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

birddawg1986

Well with a disappointing boys and girls seasons loaded with D1 talent does administration make changes at the top?

Former, Coach Jacobs

Quote from: birddawg1986 on March 23, 2019, 06:02:22 pm
Well with a disappointing boys and girls seasons loaded with D1 talent does administration make changes at the top?

The boys won 16 games and finished 3rd in the toughest basketball conference in the state. They beat Jonesboro, West Memphis, and Westside, all really good teams.

The girls won 25 games, won their conference easily, and lost to the eventual state champion, who also was loaded with D-1 talent.

Why would they need to make a change?

gamechanger11

Always have people out there who thinks if a team does not win it there needs to be changes. Never mind the fact that other teams are pretty darn good too.

Rudehog

Quote from: birddawg1986 on March 23, 2019, 06:02:22 pm
This kind of mentality is exactly what is wrong with society. This is "High School" people. You want a coaches head because they don't win enough in your opinion then go after a professional or college coach who has a multi year contract and is highly compensated. High school sports is not about just wins and losses. If you think these men and women are in this just for a paycheck then you are very misguided. High school athletics are an extension of the classroom and wins/losses should only be a very minor part of the evaluation of a coaches job. AAU/Travel Team mentality of parents is ruining careers of good coaches. 

cannon

Quote from: Rudehog on March 24, 2019, 06:15:26 pm
AAU/Travel Team mentality of parents is ruining careers of good coaches.

Care to expound upon that?  And before you assume, I'm not saying that you're wrong -- I'm saying that I dunno what you're saying.  What is AAU mentality, and how are parents with that mentality ruining careers of good coaches? 

I'm a parent.  I have a kid that plays AAU ball.  She's a decent player, but she plays against some of the toughest competitors in the nation, and because of that, we rarely "expect" wins.  If anything, I'd assume that the parents of kids who compete region-wide or nationally would have some pretty decent insight into the level of the talent in the state, and would be MORE understanding of the responsibilities of a coach outside win/loss paradigm.  It drives me nuts when a community hangs a coach over his or her "record."  The other side of that coin is that I'll lead the lynching against a coach who is a bad moral example to my kid.   

A good coach should know the game.  A good coach should invest in his or her players, regardless of talent level.  A good coach should be a good teacher, both in terms of the game and life outside it.  A good coach should be at a level of maturity that provides the kids an example to look up to.  A good coach should build and promote unity among the team's players.  A good coach should hold the individual team members accountable for their actions.  A good coach should never ask his or her players to do or refrain from doing something when he or she wouldn't do the same under the same circumstances.  A good coach should have a positive impact on the player's lives. 

As for AAU ball, I know it get a lot of criticism, but my mentality is that it has a lot of benefits.  First, my daughter loves the game and typically loves the people that play it.  AAU ball provides exposure to hard-working, like-minded kids, and it is a major platform for my kid's social network.  Her best friends in life are kids that she's made playing off-season ball.  Second, it helps young players get better.  Every exposure to a new coach is an opportunity to learn something.  Playing different styles and different tempos has made my kid a more versatile player and has given her a comfort level on the court that she wouldn't have after a 9-month hiatus from the sport.  And finally, playing ball with kids that can play has taught her some humility.  It didn't take her long to learn that despite the fact that she might be top 10 in her age bracket in the district locally, she ain't top 100 nationally. 

I only saw the last 5 minutes of the loss Nettleton's boys took at State, but I can tell you that the team they were playing was every bit as big, quick, athletic, and talented as Nettleton was.  As for the girls, anybody who's watched LRCA's girls play won't asked how things fell apart for Nettleton. I didn't see them play Nettleton, but I did watch them dismantle Jonesboro's girls at the state tournament, and I can tell you that they pack every bit the talent that Nettleton has.  Sometimes you're just not the better team, and where we may disagree is that I think that most AAU kid's parents understand that pretty well.         

Jwolf12

I wouldn't consider Nettleton's girls and boys seasons a failure. That schedule is absolutely brutal and they both knocked off some solid competition. People start the blame game but all they look at are wins and losses. Might want to look deeper into the teams that they competed against week in and week out.

godeep

To not have at least 1 girls state championship banner hanging in their nice gym is very disappointing. Tremendous run of talent over last 5-6 years. You better have players and they have had players.  Fans only get mad when they know you have players and don't win it all. Even finals appearance would silence some fans.  Hopefully they achieve that before the talent runs out   

ricepig

Looks like a new man in charge at Nettleton for the boys, Bubba Deaton is taking over as McCord is working his way to retirement. I think I read where McCord is going to coach 7th grade next year.

Jwolf12

Quote from: ricepig on May 23, 2019, 06:43:33 am
Looks like a new man in charge at Nettleton for the boys, Bubba Deaton is taking over as McCord is working his way to retirement. I think I read where McCord is going to coach 7th grade next year.

I've seen several people excited about the move. Even Coach McCord at least seemed that he was looking forward to the step down to ease into retirement. It would be good to see Coach Deaton take his success from junior high and translate it to the next level. Hopefully Nettleton can compete for championships soon.

501 to 870

Quote from: godeep on May 10, 2019, 02:42:54 pm
To not have at least 1 girls state championship banner hanging in their nice gym is very disappointing. Tremendous run of talent over last 5-6 years. You better have players and they have had players.  Fans only get mad when they know you have players and don't win it all. Even finals appearance would silence some fans.  Hopefully they achieve that before the talent runs out   
Nettleton Lady Raiders 2020 State Champions.....Banner coming soon

godeep

Congrats  to Nettleton girls  Continued success

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas