• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

"It's Only a Flesh Wound" Rebs v PDogs

Started by ARDA2, October 01, 2007, 01:47:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

not ray

Passing a millage in Fort Smith is harder than passing a baseball sized stone through a urethra.  Very old money and a huge number of non-english speakers.  Just not in the mix for us.

Fanofallfootball

The money that will be spent at SHS on the new administration building is already in the bank from millages already passed.  Seems a bit ironic that a school loses half of its student body yet needs new buildings just to give the appearance of "keeping up with the Jones" ala HAR-BER. 
The new field/fieldhouse at HAR-BER will be financed not from millage money but from big push drives from the same sources that financed the massive improvements at Springdale (the Chamber, Kiwanis, Lions, Rotary, business owners, corporate interests, etc.)  I know, I gave the first $1,000 check several years to get the ball rolling.  At the time Jerrell Williams made the famous quote "I think we are fine with our old facilities"  While most respect and admire him, thinking like that and mediocre seasons led to the hire of Gus Malzahn basically while Jerrell was still the coach.  Maybe the coaches are unable to inspire the fan base but then Gus Malzahn is hard to compete with in terms of someone who can light a fire under a fanbase to accomplish his goals.

30kfeet

Quote from: Fanofallfootball on October 27, 2007, 05:41:20 pm
The money that will be spent at SHS on the new administration building is already in the bank from millages already passed.  Seems a bit ironic that a school loses half of its student body yet needs new buildings just to give the appearance of "keeping up with the Jones" ala HAR-BER. 
The new field/fieldhouse at HAR-BER will be financed not from millage money but from big push drives from the same sources that financed the massive improvements at Springdale (the Chamber, Kiwanis, Lions, Rotary, business owners, corporate interests, etc.)  I know, I gave the first $1,000 check several years to get the ball rolling.  At the time Jerrell Williams made the famous quote "I think we are fine with our old facilities"  While most respect and admire him, thinking like that and mediocre seasons led to the hire of Gus Malzahn basically while Jerrell was still the coach.  Maybe the coaches are unable to inspire the fan base but then Gus Malzahn is hard to compete with in terms of someone who can light a fire under a fanbase to accomplish his goals.

Springdale High is in need of a major facelift.  Springdale is already an East/West town and not improving the campus amenities at SHS to be on par with Har-Ber would be a major mistake in terms of the future of the district and the city of Springdale as a whole.  It's not about irony or jealousy, its about providing comparable facilities to all the kids in Springdale who deserve to attend a first class high school whether it be at SHS or Har-Ber.   Now that the district has flattened out in growth trends, they can afford to do the improvements while not having to worry about meeting space demands for the next few years.  I'm hoping the improved SHS will provide a much needed image boost for Springdale's core region.   Har-Ber's sports facilities will be great for Har-Ber but not a priority for the district right now.   If the towns service organizations want to raise the money for a new Har-Ber sports complex, more power to them, but maybe JW was right in some respects.  It's just not a big district priority right now.

heffy22

Which mediocre season would that be?  His Conference championship seasons his last 2 years to coach.

bearmad

October 28, 2007, 01:31:12 am #154 Last Edit: October 28, 2007, 01:34:17 am by bearmad
Go Rebs!

bulldogs1159

Quote from: heffy22 on October 27, 2007, 09:10:19 pm
Which mediocre season would that be?  His Conference championship seasons his last 2 years to coach.
Beat me to it. Along with those conference titles were a state runner up and a state semi-finalist.

heffy22

His last game at Cabot was one of the best I have attended.  Cabot was a team of destiny that year.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas