• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

"It's Only a Flesh Wound" Rebs v PDogs

Started by ARDA2, October 01, 2007, 01:47:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

olddog79

^ showing off that Southside IQ again I see.

ARDA2

Yes we sometimes must speak in a language others can understand.

30kfeet

Looks like this young prodigy will be attending the SS Reb alternative 'nasty' prom in a few years. 

SavedbyGrace

October 12, 2007, 10:05:07 pm #103 Last Edit: October 12, 2007, 10:10:24 pm by SavedbyGrace
Is FSS falling apart or what????  What the heck is goin on?  If Fort Smith SS really lost tonight then the fans are gonna be upset!!!  There is no job security in the business of coaching.

Quite Frankly

It's more than a flesh wound now...

It's a decapitation

Baitshop

Looks like we got ourselves a certifiable gapping wound......

Win out or go home......

NO MORE running between the tackles!!!.....

Rebel Fan 84

It's not over, we showed for one quarter that we can play to win.  We came back and gave ourselves a chance to win once we opened up the offense.  It was just a little to late in the game.  We have nothing to lose and everything to gain by using the entire playbook now.  I'm ready to watch us reach down deep and play to win.

Go Rebels!

Smithian

Quote from: SavedbyGrace on October 12, 2007, 10:05:07 pm
Is FSS falling apart or what????  What the heck is goin on?  If Fort Smith SS really lost tonight then the fans are gonna be upset!!!  There is no job security in the business of coaching.
Woah, now, we're not close to that point yet.

Would anyone else like to see ther Southside band SHUT UP when we're on offense?

30kfeet

Quote from: Rebel Fan 84 on October 13, 2007, 12:24:28 pm
It's not over, we showed for one quarter that we can play to win.  We came back and gave ourselves a chance to win once we opened up the offense.  It was just a little to late in the game.  We have nothing to lose and everything to gain by using the entire playbook now.  I'm ready to watch us reach down deep and play to win.

Go Rebels!

What have they been playing for up until now if not to win?  I can't believe the coaches would hold back plays when the team is struggling like SS is if they thought they might work.  Hope springs eternal, I guess.

Rebel Fan 84

Quote from: Smithian on October 13, 2007, 12:58:39 pm
Quote from: SavedbyGrace on October 12, 2007, 10:05:07 pm
Woah, now, we're not close to that point yet.

Would anyone else like to see ther Southside band SHUT UP when we're on offense?

I think the band got a educated by a few football Dads last night.  They are so hung up on the halftime show I'm not sure they now how to help.  We were screaming for the band to play when SDale had 4th and 1 on our side of the field.  Earlier in the game we have the ball on our side of the field and the band is playing away like they are in concert with no clue.  I saw a couple of coaches look up in frustration.

olddog79

Dang...I bet if it wasn't for that darn band you guys would have won too...shoot! ::) ;D

Smithian

We're not saying they lost us the game, but hey like to play when the stadium is at its loudest already and the offense is having trouble hearing already. I swear they refuse to play when we're on defense, but on offense they will play as loudly as they humanly can.

It has been discussed on this board before, but considering there would be no marching band with no football team, they should play around the football game when convenient for the football team.

30kfeet

Quote from: Smithian on October 14, 2007, 02:25:40 pm
We're not saying they lost us the game, but hey like to play when the stadium is at its loudest already and the offense is having trouble hearing already. I swear they refuse to play when we're on defense, but on offense they will play as loudly as they humanly can.

It has been discussed on this board before, but considering there would be no marching band with no football team, they should play around the football game when convenient for the football team.

I'm assuming the band director's office is on the same campus as the coach's office.  Looks like a simple conversation would take care of the problem.   Talk it over and take care of it like professionals.   It's not like this was the first game of the year.   PS. There are some games where the band is the most entertaining group in the stadium.

Quite Frankly

My experience with each is many don't care for the other at some schools

30kfeet

Quote from: Quite Frankly on October 14, 2007, 10:39:38 pm

Is that the case at SS?   The faculty is all part of the same team and should put aside their differences when conflict is hurting the kids or the school.  If the coach thinks the band is hurting the team,  he will let the band director know one way or another. E-mail maybe? Send a memo?  Just solve it and move on.

Quite Frankly

I am not familiar with SS. Speaking generally, each has their own ideas of what they want to do.  It's a novel concept that they should work together, but they don't always agree on things.  Each has their own ideas and their own budgets.  Sad to say.

30kfeet

October 14, 2007, 11:23:47 pm #116 Last Edit: October 14, 2007, 11:27:00 pm by 30kfeet
Quote from: Quite Frankly on October 14, 2007, 10:52:34 pm
I am not familiar with SS. Speaking generally, each has their own ideas of what they want to do.  It's a novel concept that they should work together, but they don't always agree on things.  Each has their own ideas and their own budgets.  Sad to say.

Been there and done that.  I had a kid punished by the basketball coach for missing a practice to attend a final prep for a major academic team project I was sponsoring.  I wound up running with the kid to make the point that it was just plain wrong to punish this student.  The coach and I could have worked out the problem if he had come to talk to me about it, but the kid was the one paying the price.  I think this thread is about as off-track as it can get now.

Smithian

Quote from: 30kfeet on October 14, 2007, 10:49:28 pm
Quote from: Quite Frankly on October 14, 2007, 10:39:38 pm

Is that the case at SS?   The faculty is all part of the same team and should put aside their differences when conflict is hurting the kids or the school.  If the coach thinks the band is hurting the team,  he will let the band director know one way or another. E-mail maybe? Send a memo?  Just solve it and move on.
As far as I know, none of the coaches have made a comment about the band playing while we're on offense. That is just my feelings and I know there are many others as well who feel that way.

The band is the least of Southside's problems right now, but they certainly aren't helping.
Quote from: 30kfeet on October 14, 2007, 10:37:32 pm
PS. There are some games where the band is the most entertaining group in the stadium.
True.

shsmemphis

The Arkansas Razorback band does not play while either the hogs or their opponent is running a play.  The band director shuts down the music when the offensive team breaks the huddle and comes to the line of scrimmage.  I know this for a fact as my seat is in the south endzone within 100 feet of the band.  I think any band should follow this as a rule.

Baitshop

Actually, Coach Rowland had to go up into the stands last year when the Rebs were playing LR Central in the playoffs to ask the band directors not to play when the Rebels were on offense right in front of them. The LRC band had been playing and the SS band directors decided to make it a battle of the bands instead of a football game.

My Daughter was in the Rebel band for 3 years and I assure you that the 2 directors have had half of the crowd hollering at them (as it was at LRC) to stop playing when the Rebels are on offense right in front of them, and they will look at the crowd and just turn around and ignore them. My Daughter said that these guys know exactly what they are doing and don't care......."this is just as much a performance for the band as it is the football team"....

Don't get me wrong....the Rebel band is one of the best high school bands in the state, and has been for years,......but, on Friday nights I am going to a FOOTBALL game, not a band concert.........be part of the answer, not part of the problem.....

JMO

Coach Venny Slocombe

According to the AAA sportsmanship handbook (which I highly disagree with)
Page #6, Section #6, Article "C"

Support Groups (Band, Dance, Pep etc.)
C. At Football games, Bands and any components thereof (e.g. drums) shall not play from the time the offensive team breaks the huddle until the play is whistled dead.

shsmemphis

Don't mean to change the subject, but why didn't the Rebel JV get to play last night against Rogers?  These players need to play their games as much as the varsity.  Some of them might be needed on Friday night.  This has already come true because of injuries more than once this year.  They are going to be the varsity next year, give them as much playing time as possible so the can be ready if needed.

Quite Frankly

If they are going to be so gung ho on all this sportsmanship they should at least enforce the rule about opposing bands playing during other teams snap counts.

The UA band shows the other team that respect and it should be enforced.

The quoted rule is just in my view.  I got into this discussion before a few years back.

Heck if you can't bring cowbells and artificial noise makers, how can the other band play while you are snapping?  It's just not consistent.

Can you see the day when other teams won't let the other band in free because of stuff like that?  It's not as far fetched as we might all wish.

30kfeet

Quote from: Quite Frankly on October 16, 2007, 03:39:47 pm
If they are going to be so gung ho on all this sportsmanship they should at least enforce the rule about opposing bands playing during other teams snap counts.

The UA band shows the other team that respect and it should be enforced.

The quoted rule is just in my view.  I got into this discussion before a few years back.

Heck if you can't bring cowbells and artificial noise makers, how can the other band play while you are snapping?  It's just not consistent.

Can you see the day when other teams won't let the other band in free because of stuff like that?  It's not as far fetched as we might all wish.

My, how times have changed.  The band director at Springdale is a good friend of mine.  The band sits in the south endzone in JWS and in years past it was a matter of pride how the band could disrupt the snap count or cause hearing issues for the opposing offense.  You can make an impact with a 275 member band.    Other bands did the same in their own home stadiums so it all evened out.  It was just an accepted part of the game environment and atmosphere.   Nothing wrong with a little home field/crowd advantage.   Take the fans out of the game and you might as well stay home.  After all, we still buy the tickets and the popcorn.  These silly rules really do change the fabric of Friday night football.

Baitshop

The problem at Southside is that OUR band plays when OUR offense is right in front of them......... :( :(

RGP

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on October 16, 2007, 09:44:29 am
According to the AAA sportsmanship handbook (which I highly disagree with)
Page #6, Section #6, Article "C"

Support Groups (Band, Dance, Pep etc.)
C. At Football games, Bands and any components thereof (e.g. drums) shall not play from the time the offensive team breaks the huddle until the play is whistled dead.
Do you know where I can find a copy of this?

Quite Frankly

http://www.ahsaa.org/docs/2007-08%20Sportsmanship%20Manual.pdf

RGP

I've tried that and it doesn't load on my computer...says it can't find the file...know what to do?

Quite Frankly

Do you have adobe acrobat reader?  If not, download it for free.

http://www.adobe.com/  on left download the reader

Then go to ahsaa.org

on the left, click on sportsmanship

then in the middle of the page(shaded blue) click on sportsmanship manual.

Again, you need Adobe.  It's a fairly common thing to have on a pc.

Once you have it, it's a 20+ page doc and as stated before it's on page 6.

Good luck.

RGP

Thanks for the help, QF. I have a feeling one of the band directors at FS Southside may be seeing one of these in the near future...

Quite Frankly

No prob.

The irony is that the SS admin is one the persons most responsible for the code of conduct that the AAA is now enforcing.

30kfeet

Quote from: baitshop on October 16, 2007, 05:40:11 pm
The problem at Southside is that OUR band plays when OUR offense is right in front of them......... :( :(

Simple communication problem with a simple solution by two reasonable adults - a coach and a band director.  apparently from what I've been told here, the fans are the ones who perceive a problem, no the coaches.

Baitshop

Quote from: Quite Frankly on October 16, 2007, 09:11:07 pm
No prob.

The irony is that the SS admin is one the persons most responsible for the code of conduct that the AAA is now enforcing.

How so??....

Quite Frankly

Very simply the fact that someone who jump started the old AAAAA West conduct rules from an admin level has at his own school someone employed as a band director that is willfully violating part of the AAA handbook rules.

Not making a federal case, just noting the irony.

Smithian

Quote from: hogman99 on October 16, 2007, 03:14:39 pm
Don't mean to change the subject, but why didn't the Rebel JV get to play last night against Rogers?  These players need to play their games as much as the varsity.  Some of them might be needed on Friday night.  This has already come true because of injuries more than once this year.  They are going to be the varsity next year, give them as much playing time as possible so the can be ready if needed.
Southside has a grass field and it was raining all day. The field is also used for a part of practice every day, 7th grade games on Tuesdays, and JH games on Thursday. The field already takes a pounding and playing right after it was raining all day would have had it torn up badly by Friday.

Priorities.

Baitshop

Quote from: Quite Frankly on October 17, 2007, 06:06:12 pm
Very simply the fact that someone who jump started the old AAAAA West conduct rules from an admin level has at his own school someone employed as a band director that is willfully violating part of the AAA handbook rules.

Not making a federal case, just noting the irony.

It is my understanding that Coach Rowland has, personally, paid a visit to the good folks in the bandroom to remind them of the new AAA rules and ask for their "participation"...........

Quite Frankly

Oh I don't doubt it.  Just saying that he put lots of pressure on other schools and then his kitchen is not in order.

Baitshop

Actually, when I spoke to Coach Rowland yesterday he said that he had already, before the school year started, spoken with anyone and everyone that would be "performing" at a Rebel sporting event and made them aware of the new rules and that, it appears as though, someone had either forgotten the new rules or had made a decision to ignore them........

Regardless, I am sure that it will be taken care of this week.......

Quite Frankly

October 17, 2007, 09:10:15 pm #138 Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 02:30:55 pm by Quite Frankly
It's a case of to many rules micromanaging the games.  Once the snowball started it gathered steam and now has become a mass of rules, violators and enforcers.

Admin at schools are in a position were they have to follow, enforce and punish.  The handbook now has sections for how coaches, players, bands, cheer and fans are to behave.

Conflicts will continue to arise.  The brunt of them will occur between admin and the respective groups at the schools they are employed by...

As I and many have stated on other threads and on many occasions, it's a little too much.

For those that think band directors and coaches should get along, it's a pointless.  The rules dictate and if one is out of bounds then the other will simply call them on it.

I hate to tell the band people, but they lose as it pertains to football game behavior.  But that only means they are being treated like the rest of us.

shsmemphis

Quote from: Smithian on October 17, 2007, 06:25:43 pm
Southside has a grass field and it was raining all day. The field is also used for a part of practice every day, 7th grade games on Tuesdays, and JH games on Thursday. The field already takes a pounding and playing right after it was raining all day would have had it torn up badly by Friday.

Priorities.
Sorry, but it quit raining that morning.  I think the high school JV getting game situation playing time is just as if not more important than the 7th grade teams using it the next day.  They already had lost one game to scheduling.  Good ole Fort Smith is still behind in facilities.  We are the only schools in the 7A west without turf.

RGP

Quote from: hogman99 on October 18, 2007, 08:21:55 am
Sorry, but it quit raining that morning.  I think the high school JV getting game situation playing time is just as if not more important than the 7th grade teams using it the next day.  They already had lost one game to scheduling.  Good ole Fort Smith is still behind in facilities.  We are the only schools in the 7A west without turf.
How many more games you think that turf will win for us?

ARDA2

October 18, 2007, 08:01:06 pm #141 Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 08:03:00 pm by ARDA2
One study has shown FieldTurf, "filled turf" has sigificant advantages in terms of long term serious injury over natural turf.  Other studies are outdated by comparing Astroturf,"non-filled turf" to natural turf.  FieldTurf players had higher incidences of non-contact injuries, surface (skin) injuries, muscle related trauma, and injuries during warmer temperatures. Natural turf players had higher incidences of ligament injuries, long-term injuries, and head and neural trauma.
http://ajs.sagepub.com/cgi/content/abstract/32/7/1626

One or two less injuries this year might have made a difference.

RGP

Norman's was an arm injury.
Tooley's was on turf at Rogers.
McEvoy's was the same.
Harris's was at Southside.
Warren's was at Southside.

Baitshop

Quote from: hogman99 on October 18, 2007, 08:21:55 am
Quote from: Smithian on October 17, 2007, 06:25:43 pm

Priorities.

We also were, until HarBer last year, the only city in the West with 2 high schools.......Money doesn't grow on tree's in Ft. Smith OR NWA......the Sprindale will be sharing Jarrel Williams Stadium for years as will the 2 schools in Rogers.....

If Ft. Smith had only one school, like our neighbors up north, then 2 things would be true......we would have exactly or better facilities than anyone in the state.....AND.....10 or 12 more State Championships in the trophy case!!!!!

It's ONE jv game......and the only one that has been cancelled in the 13 years since I moved back from Dallas to my knowledge.......we will be ok......

JMO

30kfeet

Quote from: ARDA2 on October 18, 2007, 08:01:06 pm
One study has shown FieldTurf, "filled turf" has sigificant advantages in terms of long term serious injury over natural turf.  Other studies are outdated by comparing Astroturf,"non-filled turf" to natural turf.  FieldTurf players had higher incidences of non-contact injuries, surface (skin) injuries, muscle related trauma, and injuries during warmer temperatures. Natural turf players had higher incidences of ligament injuries, long-term injuries, and head and neural trauma.
http://ajs.sagepub.com/cgi/content/abstract/32/7/1626

One or two less injuries this year might have made a difference.

I seem to remember a study showing that turf abrasion injuries on artificial turf actually had a higher incidence of staph infection. 

RGP

Quote from: 30kfeet on October 18, 2007, 08:48:37 pm
I seem to remember a study showing that turf abrasion injuries on artificial turf actually had a higher incidence of staph infection. 
I can think of a few that are much more likely to occur on turf. First one that pops to mind is turf toe. :)

ARDA2

October 18, 2007, 09:40:27 pm #146 Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 10:15:28 pm by ARDA2
In terms of turf toe that essentially relates to AstroTurf not filled turf like FieldTurf....i.e. AstroTurf appeared to have a much higher rate of turf toe than natural turf...wrong shoes are also a culprit.  "Flesh eating" staph infections, i.e. MRSA, are on the rise nationally...I suppose an increased abrasion rate on synthetic turf would predispose to any staph infection...MRSA or not.  The gym though is the real cesspool for staph though.
There are not many prospective studies regarding FieldTurf and injuries but the one quoted above does find significantly less serious injury on Fieldturf v Grass.  The cause of these differences apparently need more study.  However, either field could not lessen the risk of other players falling on limbs as in Tooleys case.  Ligament injuries such as ankle and knee injury at least in the above study are less on Fieldturf.  Serious neurologic injury such as head, neck fx, brachial plexus strain, etc  are higher on natural turf....? because on speed differences.

The cost of FieldTurf and maintenance savings may take a long time to realize benefit.  The opportunity cost of lost time mowing for certain AD's cannot be overestimated.

I do lean toward FieldTurf v natural turf mainly because I do "believe" in further studies will show decreased injury.  If I were given a selection of improved athletic facilities, programs, etc I don't know where I would order my priorities though.

olddog79

Natural grass didn't seem to hurt SSHS last year.

Fanofallfootball

The city of Fort Smith is huge with more industry than NWA.  The School Administration seems to need someone to spearhead a drive to raise the corporate donations (like Springdale did) for the field.  Chris Wood will have an awesome new stadium at HAR-BER before the end of the decade IMO - especially if he gets to the state championship game this year.  The old money families who raised the corporate support for Springdale's facilities are now HAR-BER's fan base - they pushed through the vote for the Naturals baseball park in Springdale and their next agenda item will be the HAR_BER stadium.  Fort Smith is twice as large as Springdale so I don't understand why it is so difficult to raise corporate and "old money" funds for field turf for the stadiums.  What about the "casino" crowd?  Make them pay back big to the community if they want to make trillions in your city.

30kfeet

Quote from: Fanofallfootball on October 23, 2007, 04:11:25 pm
The city of Fort Smith is huge with more industry than NWA.  The School Administration seems to need someone to spearhead a drive to raise the corporate donations (like Springdale did) for the field.  Chris Wood will have an awesome new stadium at HAR-BER before the end of the decade IMO - especially if he gets to the state championship game this year.  The old money families who raised the corporate support for Springdale's facilities are now HAR-BER's fan base - they pushed through the vote for the Naturals baseball park in Springdale and their next agenda item will be the HAR_BER stadium.  Fort Smith is twice as large as Springdale so I don't understand why it is so difficult to raise corporate and "old money" funds for field turf for the stadiums.  What about the "casino" crowd?  Make them pay back big to the community if they want to make trillions in your city.

Check the record.  The people who pushed the Naturals stadium through were the people who stand to gain financially from the ball park - surrounding landowners, developers, etc.  They marketed the idea to the people of Springdale as being a big economic benefit to the the city.   These people have nothing to gain from Har-Ber having a new stadium.  The land is already bought and it's construction will have very little economic impact on the surrounding area.  While I'm sure there will be large donations from well-heeled patrons through Har-Ber's booster club,  If you have been following the local events in Springdale, you would know that there will be millions of dollars spent on improvements to the SHS facilities before any more is spent at Har-Ber.   Several years ago Springdale passed a major millage increase in order to build schools in a town that was bursting at the seams with kids moving into the area.   This millage built Har-Ber High, a new Jr. High, a middle school and several new elementary schools.   What is Fort Smith's millage rate?  Time for a bump? 

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas