• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hooten's 2018 Magazine FB Picks

Started by Wildcat Football, June 25, 2018, 09:18:32 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildcat Football

Any surprises in Hooten's picks? I just picked up a copy.  I'm surprised they have Marion picked that low in 6A East and Texarkana already #1 pick in 5A.  My picks for 6A this year are PB and Benton.  Greenwood will be at top of pack, but they lost an awful lot of college players from past Championship run. I don't see them dominating like they did last year.

Overdahill

Quote from: Wildcat Football on June 25, 2018, 09:18:32 am
Any surprises in Hooten's picks? I just picked up a copy.  I'm surprised they have Marion picked that low in 6A East and Texarkana already #1 pick in 5A.  My picks for 6A this year are PB and Benton.  Greenwood will be at top of pack, but they lost an awful lot of college players from past Championship run. I don't see them dominating like they did last year.

Really?

AHS06

Marion is more improved and I think they will prove themselves more this year.  As far as Texarkana there is no reasonable explanation not to have them ranked #1 in the 5A South.  I agree with Greenwood not being dominate this year.  However, I believe it is up to El Dorado to take down the dogs when they travel down South.  If Greenwood does not get the #1 seed I do not see them making it out of the semi's.  With the loss of a revamped Texarkana on the rise being replaced with LR Hall the 6A took a blow to their strength.  I do not see an outright conference champ in the West and it's a toss up with GW, El Do, and Benton.       

Wildcat Football

Quote from: Overdahill on June 25, 2018, 12:42:39 pm
Really?
Yeah, I'm wishing nothing but success for them friday night hogs.  I just wanted to make sure you guys were still following the 6A thread, just stoking the fire.  Always athletic and speed, now with a great coach should be a great year.

zebrafan

Picks for each conference? Won't be able to see it...out of state!

zebrafan

PB will be good, buuuut we have somethings to work out!

Wildcat Football

Quote from: zebrafan on June 25, 2018, 03:21:57 pm
Picks for each conference? Won't be able to see it...out of state!
GW picked to win 6A West followed by Benton, El Dorado, Russellville, LH,  Siloam Springs, Sheridan, and LR Hall.  6A East picks: PB, WM, Jonesboro, Searcy, Marion, Sylvan Hills, MH, and Jacksonville.

Wildcat Football

Hooten's top offense: Backfield Russellville, Receivers ED, Lineman Benton; Defense picks Linemen WM, LBs Marion, and Secondary PB.  Special Teams is GW.

zebrafan

Quote from: Wildcat Football on June 25, 2018, 03:29:20 pm
GW picked to win 6A West followed by Benton, El Dorado, Russellville, LH,  Siloam Springs, Sheridan, and LR Hall.  6A East picks: PB, WM, Jonesboro, Searcy, Marion, Sylvan Hills, MH, and Jacksonville.
[/quote
Thank you so much!

zebrafan

I see PB is picked No.1 in state in 6A....that's too high...lost a lot off that defense from last year.

BullDogFan72

I know on paper it looks like GW will be down, but what most folks don't know is that this group of seniors has only lost 1 game together since the 8th grade, and that was the state title game in '16.  The '16 team had its share of sophomore starters and reserves who got significant playing time, and the same group was starting and playing major roles with last year's team as juniors.  They may not have the notoriety and college offers as the 2018 class did, but they are hard-workers, they believe in what they are doing with a passion.  Coach Jones and his staff will put them in position to succeed.  True, they may not dominate, but you don't have to dominate to win games.  You take it day by day, practice by practice, game by game, and snap by snap.  Never looking ahead, but only at what is right in front of you.  That is something this group of seniors knows how to do. I think they will surprise some people.  Will they go undefeated, only time will tell.  As stated, a little harder to predict on paper this year.  I am going with GW and PB to go at it once again at War Memorial in December.  One thing is for sure, the journey getting there is never an easy road, but one they are equipped to navigate.   

zebradynasty

Quote from: zebrafan on June 25, 2018, 05:27:08 pm
I see PB is picked No.1 in state in 6A....that's too high...lost a lot off that defense from last year.

I agree lost a LOT on the defensive side. What little I saw of the JV defense last year is that they seemed a little faster. Awful big shoes to fill at LB. OL also took some hits might be like it was last season where the OL just grew in to being a decent unit. If the OL gels...more play makers with speed on offense than last season give the QB time and we should put points on the board,

urban legend2

I think PB will be able to score plenty...will they be able to stop other teams consistently is the question. The defense, overall, was good last year, not great though. This year, they may have to rely a whole lot on the secondary early until the D-Line and LBs come on. Fall camp may change that, but of course, only time will tell. Still, the road to the state title will go through GW until someone knocks them off. They've earned that slot.

Wildcat_Booster

I was thinking Greenwood moved back to 5A this cycle?

gameoflife

Who did you expect them to be better than? Lost almost the entire coaching staff and had to rehire completely.  Kids will have to make changes and accept new coaches and philosophy.

Wildcat Football

Quote from: Wildcat_Booster on July 05, 2018, 01:58:45 am
I was thinking Greenwood moved back to 5A this cycle?
Texarkana moved to 5A due to declining enrollment; GW is one of the smaller 6A schools but holding.  Sylvan Hills moved from 5A to 6A. A PA v. GW game would've been good last season...but GW would have ended on top, IMO.

mtindian42

What will West Memphis look like this year?

Topdog1

Interesting to go back and read the predictions. 

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas