• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I love this.......Springdale begs for money for rings

Started by Quite Frankly, March 26, 2006, 09:00:24 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Quite Frankly

March 26, 2006, 09:00:24 am Last Edit: March 26, 2006, 09:34:08 am by Quite Frankly
In Sunday's Arkansas Democrat Gazette that was distributed in NW Arkansas on March 26th, 2006 the Springdale High School coaching staff is asking for your donation to pay for their(players and coaches) state championship rings by taking out a large ad.  (Was this ad donated by the ARDEMGAZ?, if so all you other schools are owed a free ad)

Donations of $100, $200, $500, $1000, $2000 or other amounts will be collected.  They build it up with the "Pride of NWA" statement as though anyone that is from Bentonville, Rogers, Fayetteville or even Siloam Springs would give a dang.

Record gate.  Record crowds. Record concessions.  Record press coverage.  But they ask for "everyones" help in paying for it.  I love it!  So Springdale..........

Congrats on a great season, but buy your own dang rings just like all the other schools do for their athletes. 

Jerks.

olddog79

Quote from: Quite Frankly on March 26, 2006, 09:00:24 am
In Sunday's Arkansas Democrat Gazette that was distributed in NW Arkansas on March 26th, 2006 the Springdale High School coaching staff is asking for your donation to pay for their(players and coaches) state championship rings by taking out a large ad.  (Was this ad donated by the ARDEMGAZ?, if so all you other schools are owed a free ad)

Donations of $100, $200, $500, $1000, $2000 or other amounts will be collected.  They build it up with the "Pride of NWA" statement as though anyone that is from Bentonville, Rogers, Fayetteville or even Siloam Springs would give a dang.

Record gate.  Record crowds. Record concessions.  Record press coverage.  But they ask for "everyones" help in paying for it.  I love it!  So Springdale..........

Congrats on a great season, but buy your own dang rings just like all the other schools do for their athletes. 

Jerks.
Jerks?.....nice.

The ad was donated by the ADG. I'm sure if your school ever wins a state title and needs help raising money, the ADG would do the same your your school.

Why so bitter?

Quite Frankly

March 26, 2006, 10:31:18 am #2 Last Edit: March 26, 2006, 12:44:22 pm by Quite Frankly
When our school DID win a state championship, we didn't ask the entire general public of NW Arkansas for money.  We handled it ourselves within our own community.  All the revenue and all that hype and you can't take care of your own players and coaches rings?  Try being a smaller school with a smaller budget and getting rings.  There are others that win state championships you know!  You're breaking new ground by begging outsiders.

Asking others outside of Springdale to help you celebrate by helping you buy your rings is arrogant.  Do you see anyone else asking for help?  No!  Keep you business in house.  The appeal that you are the "pride of NWA" is a self-serving pompus statement.  You are the "pride of Springdale".  Everyone else has their own to be proud of and they don't go public by begging for money.

AGAIN, grats on a good season.  Just show some class(you'll need to look that up I'm sure) and quit looking for ways to act like the whole NWA community gives a darn.  They have their own teams.

Since you seem to know, who do I contact at the ARDEMGAZ to get an ad run for the Rogers Cross Country State Championship teams?  They've already managed to get rings for the kids despite not having any big revenue but I thought maybe we could recover some of the costs?  Or maybe you people in Springdale would like to help us pay for our boys basketball rings.  Or does only a co-conference championship merit it?  Ask Don T. would you?

BTW, I knew you'd be first to respond olddog79.  It's good that you keep an eye on the board in case someone says something that offends the RedDog Nation. Great work sniffing out a naysayer in record time on a Sunday.  Get a life.

bknittin

I noticed the ad too. Maybe they should have saved some of the money that sent them to 7 on 7 games in California and Alabama  to pay for rings. Or maybe that is what a BOOSTER club is for!
They did have a story book season, but state championship rings need to be bought by those within their own group, or by quiet solicitation of community leaders. Begging in the paper is not cool.

Forked Tongue

March 26, 2006, 12:55:27 pm #4 Last Edit: March 26, 2006, 12:57:41 pm by Forked Tongue
Awesome thread.  Great points.  My mission in life is to try and understand what makes the sports boosters, parents and coaches in Springdale so pompus.  Note I didn't say the athletes themselves.  They are loud when the lose.  They are loud when they win.  They sit in the middle of opposing fans at home and away.  The band plays loud when opposing teams approach the line of scrimmage at football games when they lead by 30.  They teach and condone dirty play beginning in junior high.  They get articles written about them for fan behavior in the Ft. Smith newspaper. They monitor chat rooms 6 months removed from the end of a season ready to pounce on any little thing that is said about them.  They flaunt rules to allow outsiders into a closed system to help out the basketball team.   I think I got thesis material here.

And now

They beg for money from anyone that'll listen as though they are Katrina victims.  God the ego.

(Before you red supporters get on here and cry about jealousy, you need to understand that this is not about jealousy, it's about class and respect.  Something that you now nothing about.)

ptown25

Paragould, won't ever have to worry about that....

bulldogs1159

No it is jealousy and it is funny. People hate winners.

Quite Frankly

March 26, 2006, 06:29:17 pm #7 Last Edit: March 26, 2006, 08:01:51 pm by Quite Frankly
People hate winners that flaunt it over and over and over and over.  If your only defense to what is said you believe it's jealousy, you simply are trying to deflect the stated facts.  You ignore that everyone says congrats, you simply can't stand that someone doesn't want to pat you on the back everyday for the rest of your life.  It's okay, you've got company in your own neighborhood that'll agree with you.

Are you aware that there were other state champions in football?  Not just this year, but in other years.  Are you aware that other sports also have state championships?  Plus, I'm sure that your trying to raise money for the most gaudiest rings ever made.  Humble as you are you wouldn't be trying to make a Super Bowl-type ring would you?  You're victory cigars speak volumns about how you feel.

6000 posts and you want everyone to see those cigars so you continue to post.(AND POST AND POST AND POST).

Looking forward to hearing about your 1-year, 2 year, 3 years, etc reunion events as you continue to relive your monumental accomplishments. 

Anyone notice that the AAA will not let Rogers come in mid-cycle (like Springdale did) when the second Rogers high school opens?  Why not equal treatment?

olddog79

Quote from: Quite Frankly on March 26, 2006, 06:29:17 pm

Anyone notice that the AAA will not let Rogers come in mid-cycle (like Springdale did) when the second Rogers high school opens? Why not equal treatment?
well.....the truth comes out.

RHS

QuoteAnyone notice that the AAA will not let Rogers come in mid-cycle (like Springdale did) when the second Rogers high school opens?  Why not equal treatment?

Hadn't heard about that, but it really doesn't suprise me since the AAA is involved in the process.

bulldogs1159

Quote from: Quite Frankly on March 26, 2006, 06:29:17 pm
People hate winners that flaunt it over and over and over and over. If your only defense to what is said you believe it's jealousy, you simply are trying to deflect the stated facts. You ignore that everyone says congrats, you simply can't stand that someone doesn't want to pat you on the back everyday for the rest of your life. It's okay, you've got company in your neighborhood that'll agree with you.

Are you aware that there were other state champions in football? Not just this year, but in other years. Are you aware that other sports also have state championships? Plus, I'm sure that your trying to raise money for the gaudy rings ever. Humble as you are you wouldn't be trying to make a Super Bowl-type ring would you. You're victory cigars speak volumns about how you feel.

6000 posts and you want everyone to see those cigars so you continue to post.(AND POST AND POST AND POST).

Looking forward to hearing about your 1-year, 2 year, 3 years, etc reunion events as you contiue to relive your monumenatl accomplishment.

Anyone notice that the AAA will not let Rogers come in mid-cycle (like Springdale did) when the second Rogers high school opens? Why not equal treatment?
Wow noob way to notice the cigars that were added today. Your observation skills are astounding.

bulldogs1159

The best ones Ive ever had. When they come back in season in about a month Im going to get a box or torros for about $120.

bulldogs1159

You know now that I think about it Frankley your right. I shouldnt be happy we won. I mean think of the feelings we hurt along the way. Should have givin someone else a chance.

Quite Frankly

Instead of a cigar, why not buy a ring for your fav player.  Keep talking the arrogance is showing. 

You fools just don't get it:

It's unreal how you Springdale Snobs simply can't take a single justified criticism.  You must look for an ulterior motive so you can deflect it away from the truth of the thread.  If you are correct and I do have motive, it only makes me normal for this board.  IT DOES NOT CHANGE THE ORIGINAL INTENT OF THIS THREAD.  Counter attack me all you want.  Get that post count up to 5000.  It simply does not matter.

Turn that light on yourself like your so good at before the memory fades.  It's just so sad daddies.

bulldogs1159

Quote from: Quite Frankly on March 26, 2006, 07:59:41 pm
Instead of a cigar, why not buy a ring for your fav player. Keep talking the arrogance is showing.

You fools just don't get it:

It's unreal how you Springdale Snobs simply can't take a single justified criticism. You must look for an ulterior motive so you can deflect it away from the truth of the thread. If you are correct and I do have motive, it only makes me normal for this board. IT DOES NOT CHANGE THE ORIGINAL INTENT OF THIS THREAD. Counter attack me all you want. Get that post count up to 5000. It simply does not matter.

Turn that light on yourself like your so good at before the memory fades. It's just so sad daddies.
It is pointless to argue with people like you. Springdale could have let built houses for the homeless and it would all just be for more media hype. Come and talk to me when the jealousy has subsided.

Quite Frankly

Remind me what it is that I'm jealous of so that I'll know. To imply there is one thing that you have that I want is simply hilarious.  I can tell you there isn't.  I don't want it and the hypocrisy that comes with it.  I'll take my corner of the world were people are humble and appreciate things for what they are and don't seek to broadcast on a daily basis their superiority over others over a football season.  Do you do that at work too?

If your girls win a championship will there be an ad begging for money from NWA?  If your baseball team does?  If your track team does?  Or better, if Har-Ber wins one will all of Springdale donate?

The answer to all of these questions is NO.

To ask outsiders for money is comparable to Texas asking Hog fans to purchase rings for their football season.  Are you honestly saying that it's a first class way to raise money?  If they are collecting for the homeless or building shelters for the poor as the previous off-handed post refered to then that's different.  BUT YOU ARE ASKING FOR MONEY FOR YOURSELVES.  LORD.

dogfan07

well springdale wouldn't be asking for help if it wasn't for the 10,000 dollar banquet they had. that the head of the booster club put together b/c it wasn't worth it. and classy you cant say springdale wasn't classy b/c didn't they take out all the starters at the beginning of the 2nd half. you cant say that is classy. but no it isn't classy to ask outsiders. i just don't see why Tyson don't help out springdale. oh wait his son goes to harber that's why he would help them.

bulldogs1159

Quote from: Quite Frankly on March 26, 2006, 08:28:23 pm
Remind me what it is that I'm jealous of so that I'll know. To imply there is one thing that you have that I want is simply hilarious. I can tell you there isn't. I don't want it and the hypocrisy that comes with it. I'll take my corner of the world were people are humble and appreciate things for what they are and don't seek to broadcast on a daily basis their superiority over others over a football season. Do you do that at work too?

If your girls win a championship will there be an ad begging for money from NWA? If your baseball team does? If your track team does? Or better, if Har-Ber wins one will all of Springdale donate?

The answer to all of these questions is NO.

To ask outsiders for money is comparable to Texas asking Hog fans to purchase rings for their football season. Are you honestly saying that it's a first class way to raise money? If they are collecting for the homeless or building shelters for the poor as the previous off-handed post refered to then that's different. BUT YOU ARE ASKING FOR MONEY FOR YOURSELVES. LORD.
Oh I'm sorry I seem to forget that its our fault the media was covering us. Next time we will tell them to take there cameras away and go to other schools that have won in the past we would hate to have other fans angry. Your argument is shaky at best and hinges on what ifs that you have no clue about for example if our other teams won championships. Your making assumptions on things you know nothing about and we all know what happens when you assume. The only reason you are angry about the add is simply for the fact that its Springdale. Trying to explain anything to you is like trying to explain something to the Westbourgh Baptist Church. Its simply asinine.

spaceeater

Lets do some math.  3 home football games which were standing room only at $5 per with about 20% to the home team and 25,000 in Little Rock at 40% for Springdale, we are talking somewhere around $60,000 give or take.  Then you still beg everyone in the region to buy your rings?  I recall when Bentonville, and a few years earlier Van  Buren won the state title in Football, they took care of there own.  The lesson is clear.  Also, Rogers can look to the Supt. of the Fayetteville Public Schools who made the recommendation to the AAA Executive Committee to let Harbor in in the middle of a cycle.  This past fall, the AAA redid their historical position and took the position again that no new team can be admitted in during a two year cycle, which begins this fall. 

Quite Frankly

I'm not making any assumptions about that ad in the ARDEMGAZ.  That's a cold fact.  All we know for sure(toss aside all the crap we've each thrown out) and this ad is the first of it's kind.  I doubt that the paper contacted you.  I'm sure you contacted them.  It's a third rate move.  It cheapens your(I mean your son's) accomplishment.  It's the school's, the parents and the booster clubs responsibility to do what they feel is necessary at seasons end for all athletes.  But, to ask outside of your inner circle lacks class to pay for rings is appalling.  

Keep making up things about the homeless and people being jealous and the fact that you had a great season.  They have no relationship to the fact that you are BEGGING NWA for money.  We're talking about rings here.  There has been plenty of accolades shown to these well deserving kids with the press coverage and simply the fact that they dominated and won a state title.

But why do you need someone else's money to pay for it?

bulldogs1159

I am in no way connected to the team this season. I dont have a son that played ( correction-or one at all for that matter, at least that I know of :) ). I have no idea what all the money went on and why they are asking for help. Had the add just said hey Springdale people we need some help would that have made a dif to you? Or would you have been mad there was an add for Springdale in your paper. Which by the way goes to all of NWA, I think there may be some Springdale fans outside of the city limits.

dogfan07

well first of all i think aaa should buy all state championship rings for all athleteic teams. 2nd if you had a season those kids had would you not want a ring the size of the steelers super bowl ring. i know i would want the biggest ring i could put on my finger. all the booster club money went into the banquet that they have at the end of the year.

bulldogs1159

I didnt win a title when I was at Springdale had we won I would have wanted to biggest one possible. I think just about any kid would want that. I have seen some pretty nice sized rings from around the state.

Quite Frankly

The all of "NWA" is offensive.  But, the ad itself is in poor taste.  The NWA part just makes it worse.  They should have simply tried to raise the money in a quieter fashion, but it's not the Springdale style to do anything in a respectful matter.

And as to the previous post about the Super at Fayetteville making the motion to allow Har-Ber in at mid-term, It's semantics.  He made the formal request at the behest of the Springdale super Rollins.  Schools don't make moves on their own behalf.  They get others to do it to be politically correct to allow for obvious reasons.  One can only wonder what Springdale will do in return.  The political clout carries weight in this area as well and the fact that Tyson is a card-carrying member of the AAA speaks volumes.  It was beneficial for all of Springdale to keep the football team together and then to separate ALL of the other sports for the benefit of Har-Ber.  The Fayetteville super was simply moved to allow them to come in mid-cycle, but was unaware that it would be manipulated to keep the football team together.  Give Springdale credit.  They pulled the right strings in the right order, but now that loophole will close.

Will you help pay for rings at BHS if they win a football title?  Rings are fine, just don't think others should pay for it.

Good night.

bknittin

March 26, 2006, 09:15:34 pm #25 Last Edit: March 26, 2006, 09:17:43 pm by bknittin
Why on earth would a booster club have a blow out banquet and not reserve enough money to buy rings for the team? I just don't get it. I just don't get asking the public to pay for rings when the booster club did not have the foresight to plan and budget for those rings.

bulldogs1159

Quote from: Quite Frankly on March 26, 2006, 09:11:58 pm
The all of "NWA" is offensive.  But, the ad itself is in poor taste.  The NWA part just makes it worse.  They should have simply tried to raise the money in a quieter fashion, but it's not the Springdale style to do anything in a respectful matter.

So its a wording issue. And I would love to hear examples of how Springdale is unclassy. Ill give you some time to work this one up.

dogfan07

bhs wont have to ask, they have wal-mart that just paid for a 22 million dollar football faselties.and when you say springdale has tyson.no, they dont har-ber has tyson. springdale has a couple of harp kids thats about it.quite frankly you have know nothing about this ordeal in springdale.last time i checked springdale doesnt bad mouth anyone else they help them up. they get up 35 and put in the 2nd stringers and let them have their fun. if you ask me springdale was one of the most classyiest teams in the conference if not the state. some of the kids would of ratherd wm to have won b/c they felt bad for the seniors that play varsity as a sophmore, but they where greatfull that they won just to bad their cant be to winners. there will always be a winner and a loser. springdale stay classy like always.

bknight33

I am interested in this as well.  Why after all the money that booster club has had donated to that program.  .  .new field, scoreboard, etc. . .can the parents and athletic dept not foot the bill for the rings? Advertising for this is ridiculous.  Perception to some is that somehow the rest of NWA owes Springdale something for being ranked in the top ten nationally in HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL.  Ole Dog and 1159, I respect your posts but you guys cannot get around this one.  I would not say that it is in any way arrogant, just very tasteless. 

bulldogs1159

I haven't even seen the add so I don't have an opinion on it yet. I was mostly defending that this is just another thing in a long line of classless acts that Springdale does which is completely false.

dogfan07

go and ask the moms that set up the banquet. b/c i ask my self that ? every time i hear about this topic.

delerium

You really wanna know what happened? Coach Malzahn went to the razorbacks, and turned his back on the players of SHS, failing to even tell them that he was leaving. Malzahns gone, money's gone.

dogfan07

true, he told the players they will be the first to know and then the day he tells the news is the day he tells the players.

bknight33

Quote from: delerium on March 26, 2006, 10:09:10 pm
You really wanna know what happened? Coach Malzahn went to the razorbacks, and turned his back on the players of SHS, failing to even tell them that he was leaving. Malzahns gone, money's gone.

Well I am sure it is not exactly like that.  . .

RHS

It's funny that the thread is talking about the ad, for the most part, and dogfan talks about them taking starters out during the games. Just made me laugh.

Anyway, I agree with bknight and Quite Frankly. It just puzzles me that Springdale can afford everything they have over the past few years but can't get the rings. I don't agree with asking all of NWA to help pay. Ask the residents of Springdale to help pay for them.

Uncle Ivan

Does anyone have a photo of the ad?  I'd like to see it.

wideout88

Springdale needs to take care of the rings for there players, don't give rings to admin. and all the coaches from the other sports and jr. high coaches some of these guys were not round when the sr. were in jr. high school. Why does the secratary need a ring , that she will never wear.

heffy22

My question would be, How much does each ring cost anyway? 

powerlifter90

With all the money the U of A paid the "fab 4" to play for the piggies maybe those former SHS players should buy their own rings and the rings of their teammates.............

zebradynasty

I haven't seen the article but if true it takes a pretty good set on ya to ask for other communities to pay for your championship rings! It's very poor taste to have people outside of Springdale pay for it! I think the real problem is that they are ordering some SuperBowl size rings and even they are having problems coming up with that kind of money. Otherwise there is no reason that Springdale should not be able to afford rings!

not ray

No one that doesn't want to contribute has to.   The way I see it if someone sees the add, and feels as if they want to give then so be it.  I have been around a school that had to scrounge for money to pay for state title rings.  This is by far not the first time I have seen a school put an add in a paper asking for help.  I have also coached a team that each individual had to pay for their own ring or they would have not gotten anything. 

bulldogs1159

Quote from: BUGEATERS on March 27, 2006, 09:56:11 am
With all the money the U of A paid the "fab 4" to play for the piggies maybe those former SHS players should buy their own rings and the rings of their teammates.............
95% of what you say is tounge in cheek. :)

marian

The paper sure didn`t give Russellville`s volleyball team a free ad for rings, the booster club raised the money, and through private donations. Every girl on the team got a ring.

RHS

QuoteI have been around a school that had to scrounge for money to pay for state title rings.

Did you go ask Van Buren people to give you guys money?

olddog79

Here's all I have to say about this subject....Whatever it takes to get the boys their well earned rings, if some people don't like it...so be it. If they don't want to donate....so be it. If your team wants help raising money for whatever reason....knock yourself out. I'm sure most local papers are willing to help.
I don't know how the booster club money was spent...ask the Pres. Mark Nelson. This is not the only ring fund effort....other avenues are being pursued and I'm sure they won't be bothering "Quite Frankly" about it. If you live outside of Springdale, and don't want to contribute...fine I don't blame you, but the ADG goes to all of NWA, not just Springdale.

...and finally, yes there's a huge conspiracy against Rogers and I'm to blame.

not ray

March 27, 2006, 01:14:04 pm #45 Last Edit: March 27, 2006, 01:15:42 pm by S.D. Jones
Quote from: RHS on March 27, 2006, 12:42:16 pm
QuoteI have been around a school that had to scrounge for money to pay for state title rings.

Did you go ask Van Buren people to give you guys money?

As a matter of fact if they subscribed to the Times Record or listened to the radio then they would have either read or heard advertisements that asked them to donate if they so chose.  This was for the 2002 Southside state title rings.  When a team has 100 or more players and the rings are a minimum of 300 dollars that is quite a bit of dough to be spent.  Many of the kids parents can more than buy the ring for their own child.  Many others (the majority in some cases) are not able to do this.  My opinion is I do not give one crap if they ask for donations to do this for the kids.  I am not going to donate, and I don't have to.  No one is forcing anyone to do anything. 

not ray

March 27, 2006, 02:07:44 pm #46 Last Edit: March 27, 2006, 02:29:07 pm by S.D. Jones
The AAA buying rings for what 100 or more state titlest in every single sport both boys and girls.  Boy that would be a smart way to spend money.  Runner-up rings?  Ray Finkel anyone??  Now that is wasteful spending.  Just wondering how many other schools out there have ever bought we were last LOSER rings. 

R. A.™

I can not believe that SHS is in need of money to buy rings! If they are asking for donations than those rings better rival the Super Bowl or National Championship rings, which I heard they would.

As far as asking all of NWA for the money, that is smart since it all runs together, don't know when you leave one city limit and enter another. good way to get in touch will the SHS alums.

bulldogs1159

Quote from: Stinger on March 27, 2006, 01:30:15 pm
Little old Nashville managed to buy their new Rings without going all over the state begging for money.  Even Dierks bought their team Runner-Up Rings without asking for outside help.  Nashville bought a lot of Rings because they have a large squad for a AAA school.  This is new territory, but if someone wants to help I say let them.  All of the kids deserve a Ring.   I think there should be a monetary limit put on them, maybe even a system where the Arkansas Activities Association buys them each year for the state champions.
Going all over the state begging huh? Thats a new one.

olddog79

Quote from: Stinger on March 27, 2006, 06:16:04 pm
Quote from: CAO MX2™© on March 27, 2006, 05:11:45 pm
Quote from: Stinger on March 27, 2006, 01:30:15 pm
Little old Nashville managed to buy their new Rings without going all over the state begging for money. Even Dierks bought their team Runner-Up Rings without asking for outside help. Nashville bought a lot of Rings because they have a large squad for a AAA school. This is new territory, but if someone wants to help I say let them. All of the kids deserve a Ring. I think there should be a monetary limit put on them, maybe even a system where the Arkansas Activities Association buys them each year for the state champions.
Going all over the state begging huh? Thats a new one.

That is sure the impression you leave with the ad in the paper!   It shouldn't sound so new after reading all of these replies.
The NW edition of the ADG only goes to residents of NWA, not the entire state. You're about 63 counties short of covering the state.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas