• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2-4A

Started by #1 Trojan, July 03, 2007, 04:32:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WHO IS GOING TO WIN 2-4A

STUTTGART
LONOKE
NEWPORT
MARIANNA
HEBER SPRINGS

ASU Rugby

Quote from: The Ref on August 11, 2007, 09:53:45 am
Quote from: ASU Rugby on August 11, 2007, 09:28:15 am
Quote from: prisonhound on August 11, 2007, 07:47:17 am
Newport will be good at the skill positions. The lines will be a concern. They have some size but will have to depend on sophomores. Numbers continue to be a problem. From what I have seen I don't see more than about thirty kids out. I think Newport will will have too many kids playing both ways to win the conference.

We wont have any more than usual going both ways. We have decent depth for a team with only about 30 players. I would actually say we have more depth than last year. We certainly dont have less depth or players than Stuttgart.
How many does Stuttgart have out this year?

Ive been told about 30.

prisonhound

I would be surprised if Stuttgart only has 30 kids out for football. That would be a really low number for them.

Newport has to cut down on the mistakes from last year. Early in the year how many touchdowns did they have called back because of penalties. Also with the speed Newport possesses they should give up as many returns for TD's as they did.

They can be successful, they just need tp play hard from the start.

Hounds Pruitt Boi

I think and Im gone stay with it that the hounds will win conference with no problem!! Because we have so many lethal weapons and it will be pretty hard to stop those!!

prisonhound

I hope your right Pruitt Boi. Go Hounds.

ASU Rugby

Quote from: prisonhound on August 11, 2007, 10:47:47 am
I would be surprised if Stuttgart only has 30 kids out for football. That would be a really low number for them.

Newport has to cut down on the mistakes from last year. Early in the year how many touchdowns did they have called back because of penalties. Also with the speed Newport possesses they should give up as many returns for TD's as they did.

They never have much more players than we do. They had a few starters from last year quit, and they didnt have about 40 last season. They definately have more 2 way starters than Newport does.  Stuttgart has a severe lack of depth this year. And pass their Senior class, they are going through a big drought in talent.

biker_harley87

I don't see anything wrong or a problem playing both ways.Wynne does it as do other teams. If your in shape and got heart you would want to play both ways.Play your best ,play to win and let the kids know you got heart and want to play . THEN GET OFF YOUR BUTT AND PREFORM. This is what it is going to take for Newport.No bull no crying no laying down just get it done!!!!!!

The Ref

Quote from: ASU Rugby on August 11, 2007, 05:14:17 pm

They never have much more players than we do. They had a few starters from last year quit, and they didnt have about 40 last season. They definately have more 2 way starters than Newport does.  Stuttgart has a severe lack of depth this year. And pass their Senior class, they are going through a big drought in talent.
How many will Newport have on the roster this year?  Iv'e read one thing and been told differently by others.  I know that numbers have been down since Whatley left.  Pretty sure the season ended last year with about 30.
It seems #'s are becoming less and less around the state.  Are kids just getting lazier?

ASU Rugby

Quote from: The Ref on August 11, 2007, 06:41:18 pm
Quote from: ASU Rugby on August 11, 2007, 05:14:17 pm

How many will Newport have on the roster this year?  Iv'e read one thing and been told differently by others.  I know that numbers have been down since Whatley left.  Pretty sure the season ended last year with about 30.
It seems #'s are becoming less and less around the state.  Are kids just getting lazier?

Its just getting hard for the kids that wont get a great chance to play to come out and atleast contribute in some way. Right now Newport gets about 10 players a grade, and those are usually the best 10. But it used to be you could get the top 20. It just seems less and less people at Newport can handle it. Last year we had about 40, and I expect pretty much every year for now on Newport will get about 30-40 quality players.

prisonhound

Numbers do seem to be lower across the state. For the most part your top teams will have more kids out. Warren, Nashville, CAC will have good numbers.

Newport should have more kids. There is probably several reasons why they don't and those issues are common to small communites.

Newport should still be able to compete well in the conference.

the_man

How is marianna doing?

#1 Trojan

I guess fine but you never know until the first game.

prisonhound

I am ready for that first game. I know the kids are. Go hounds. Go hogs.

Greyhoundman

Quote from: prisonhound on August 12, 2007, 07:15:16 am
Numbers do seem to be lower across the state. For the most part your top teams will have more kids out. Warren, Nashville, CAC will have good numbers.

Newport should have more kids. There is probably several reasons why they don't and those issues are common to small communites.

Most communities in the delta are dying. You have your exceptions, but as a whole, schools and towns are going down hill.

prisonhound

Quote from: Pete Rose on August 12, 2007, 09:50:45 pm

Most communities in the delta are dying. You have your exceptions, but as a whole, schools and towns are going down hill.

I hope Newport can reverse that trend. Lots of good people here trying to make a difference.

It would good for the community to have a great season for everyone to rally around.

phdefense

You know this because...?

LakeRat

Probably rice production is down and they're all moving to wet counties!! :)

#1 Trojan

Thats not even funny lake rat.

LakeRat

Oh well I guess my day job is safe...

#1 Trojan

Hounds Pruitt Boi

Greyhoundman

Quote from: phdefense on August 15, 2007, 04:01:32 pm

You know this because...?

Newport, Augusta, McCrory, Weiner, Helena, Forrest City etc. are not only losing population, but also a middle class, or they are transferring to private schools. The only exception I can think of is Wynne.

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: ASU Rugby on August 11, 2007, 10:23:19 am
Quote from: The Ref on August 11, 2007, 09:53:45 am
Quote from: ASU Rugby on August 11, 2007, 09:28:15 am
Quote from: prisonhound on August 11, 2007, 07:47:17 am
Newport will be good at the skill positions. The lines will be a concern. They have some size but will have to depend on sophomores. Numbers continue to be a problem. From what I have seen I don't see more than about thirty kids out. I think Newport will will have too many kids playing both ways to win the conference.

We wont have any more than usual going both ways. We have decent depth for a team with only about 30 players. I would actually say we have more depth than last year. We certainly dont have less depth or players than Stuttgart.
How many does Stuttgart have out this year?

Ive been told about 30.
Stuttgart's got 40+ players out this year. Several will be playing both ways however. They have a scrimmage at home against White Hall on Tuesday (8-21). I'll let you know a little of what I see.

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: LakeRat on August 16, 2007, 01:46:21 pm
Probably rice production is down and they're all moving to wet counties!! :)
You referring to alcohol? Arkansas County is very much a wet county.

Papa Billie™

OMG, I thought you had died...where ya been Sugartown??  SS   ::)

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: Super Scrapper on August 19, 2007, 10:53:00 pm
OMG, I thought you had died...where ya been Sugartown??  SS   ::)
Just been waiting on the season to get started. Got a scrimmage game tomorrow, ready to see what the Birds look like.

Hounds Pruitt Boi

Hounds scrimmage game against wynne tomorrow!! So come check it out if there's anytime!

prisonhound

I just got home from the Newport/Wynne scrimmage. Newport looked impressive. Scored a touchdown on every possesion that I saw. Even back-ups looked good. I didn't see any penalties or turnovers by Newport.

Defensively they looked OK. Gave up a couple of big plays.

biker_harley87

This sounds good for Newport. I went and watched McCrory and Batesville Southerners. It was an excellent game to watch,Played 2 full Quarters. McCrory 21 SS Batesville 20. McCrory looked good on offense.Defense has a lot of pass defense to work on. Back to Newport did the boys hit on defense.The arm tackles. could you tell if they made progress from last year.

Greyhoundman

Quote from: biker_harley87 on August 21, 2007, 10:17:11 pm
This sounds good for Newport. I went and watched McCrory and Batesville Southerners. It was an excellent game to watch,Played 2 full Quarters. McCrory 21 SS Batesville 20. McCrory looked good on offense.Defense has a lot of pass defense to work on. Back to Newport did the boys hit on defense.The arm tackles. could you tell if they made progress from last year.

Definate progress defense wise.

BusyMom

Newport look good considering its early in the season.  Congrats! Newport!

Hounds Pruitt Boi

Well newports 1st team defense didn't let wynne get pass the 30 yard marker !! And 1st team offense scored 3 times against there first team !! But we must keep playing to our full potential and we will make it very far this season!!

prisonhound

Defense played better than I expected. Gave up to many long yardage situations though. However, this team has a lot of speed. There has been a lot of talk about the Dean's and Nico, but Chris Crite and Hakeem Doss were impressive. Also it looked like Koren Pruittt had a nice scrimmage. I counted about 40 kids for Newport, more than I expected.

Mistakes hurt this team early last year. If they cut down on mistakes they will do well.

LakeRat

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on August 19, 2007, 10:07:22 pm
You referring to alcohol? Arkansas County is very much a wet county.

Yes but don't pay attention to that post... it was a bad humor day for me. I've recovered.

prisonhound

Newport plays at Marianna this year.

Hounds Pruitt Boi

Quote from: CASPER on August 22, 2007, 12:55:15 pm
Where does Newport play Marianna at?

We play in marianna this year!!

stevenmcdonald

I think Marianna can pull out a 4th seed this year with the schedule they have.

#1 Trojan

I think so too.

stevenmcdonald

you can count Heber Springs out they took a fall early they dont look to good this year. so, I give Marianna or Lonoke the 4th seed in conference  this year.

policeman

Newport will win the Conference title easily!!  I don't think anyone has a chance to stop them in the 2-4A

prisonhound

I bet after the score was announced last nite there were some gasps in the 2-4A.

hogfan7725

Quote from: stevenmcdonald on August 31, 2007, 09:46:14 am
you can count Heber Springs out they took a fall early they don't look to good this year. so, I give Marianna or Lonoke the 4th seed in conference  this year.
Quote from: CASPER on August 22, 2007, 12:55:15 pm
Where does Newport play Marianna at?

These are two good posts because:
Number One; Heber played the eventual state 3A champs, which is a good team and if you   watch college ball you can see that a team from a lower division can beat a better team(app state and Michigan).  This proves that an inferior team can be beat by a better team.

Number two; Where you play Marianna is important because if you play them at home, you will be at a disadvantage.

LakeRat

you can count Heber Springs out they took a fall early they dont look to good this year. so, I give Marianna or Lonoke the 4th seed in conference  this year.

Aren't you getting a bit ahead of things?

A loss in week one is hardly any indication of how the season will go. If we were to follow your logic... the stomping Marianna received would put Southside Batesville into the 4th seed.

#1 Trojan

Quote from: LakeRat on September 03, 2007, 09:15:14 am

Aren't you getting a bit ahead of things?

A loss in week one is hardly any indication of how the season will go. If we were to follow your logic... the stomping Marianna received would put Southside Batesville into the 4th seed.
At least we didn't lose to a 3a school which I don't care how good they are and Southside Batesville would have no buisness in the playoffs.

stevenmcdonald

true ...Helena west Helena is a 5A school... but we will see who is better when the two teams play each other.

LakeRat

Quote from: #1 Trojan on September 03, 2007, 10:40:37 am
At least we didn't lose to a 3a school which I don't care how good they are and Southside Batesville would have no buisness in the playoffs.

um ok... So school size is the only measure important not the talent on the field and matchups?

What's with the lack of respect for Southside?

They may be a young program but that doesn't mean you can just write them off because it fits your agenda.

2-4A is going to be very competative across the board within the conference. No one team is going to just waltz through the season with easy wins...

policeman

Quote from: LakeRat on September 04, 2007, 08:19:46 am
Quote from: #1 Trojan on September 03, 2007, 10:40:37 am

um ok... So school size is the only measure important not the talent on the field and matchups?

What's with the lack of respect for Southside?

They may be a young program but that doesn't mean you can just write them off because it fits your agenda.

2-4A is going to be very competative across the board within the conference. No one team is going to just waltz through the season with easy wins...

Yes, Newport will.

LakeRat

I hope they got new dancin shoes... it's going to be a long season for the hounds!!

panthers28

Newport is going to be a force to be reckon with! It has been a long time since the skins have been beaten like that! I have faith in the panthers and i think they will bounce back from the lose to mayflower and if they play to their potential, it will be the hounds against the panthers for the conference title! good luck to all the teams in the 2-4a! Lets go Heber

justin_njhs09

Quote from: panthers28 on September 04, 2007, 01:30:38 pm
Newport is going to be a force to be reckon with! It has been a long time since the skins have been beaten like that! I have faith in the panthers and i think they will bounce back from the lose to mayflower and if they play to their potential, it will be the hounds against the panthers for the conference title! good luck to all the teams in the 2-4a! Lets go Heber

Sorry but it should come down to Newport and Stuttgart.

panthers28

yea if heber doesn't play to their potential then yes it will come down to the hounds and the rice birds but if heber does play to their potential then it will be the panthers and the hounds! Heber has some good players and they can do some damage in the 2-4a if they pick it up!

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas