• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2011-2012 Arkansas Basketball

Started by Romeo, May 19, 2011, 04:22:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Indiana Jones on February 18, 2012, 06:05:20 pm
I don't remember Nolan's first season in 1985-86 but I can't imagine many home games were this painful

12-16...worst home loss was by 16 to Texas AandM who lost first round of NCAA tournament

mack

Quote from: B.G. on February 20, 2012, 11:16:25 am
It is possible to appreciate his work and to note his tanks comments as harmful.  Where he's been and what he's been through has no bearing as to acknowledging his career with such high honors.

To award him such honors, you have to look at the entire contribution versus the harm he did down the strectch.

He tried and did partially destroy his own image and the UA itself through his own actions.. The UA doesn't owe him any more nor does he deserve any further awards.

Wrong.  He brought us something NO OTHER coach has done in a major sport.  He brought us an undisputed national championship, and a runner up.  He deserves much more.  He also deserved to be treated better than he was at both the beginning and end of his career.

You are just a hater BG.  You probably don't think Pete Rose deserves to be in the baseball HOF.

pantherblue

I give Pete the nod everywhere. What he done as a player was HOF worthy. What he did as a coach is less than many other coaches. 

zebradynasty

February 20, 2012, 11:37:22 am #353 Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 11:39:23 am by zebradynasty
Quote from: pantherblue on February 20, 2012, 10:06:52 am
What happened Nolan's last 2 years when he had the crap started?? Was he competing with the big dogs then? Did he leave great athletes here for Heath? No, he was not winning and left no recruits. Heck look what Pel left for Anderson.
[/quote
Quote from: pantherblue on February 20, 2012, 10:06:52 am
What happened Nolan's last 2 years when he had the crap started?? Was he competing with the big dogs then? Did he leave great athletes here for Heath? No, he was not winning and left no recruits. Heck look what Pel left for Anderson.

So you think Nolan should be barred from the Bud because of his last two season or because of how he left? See I think it's BS to say it was because of his last 2 seasons that's the source of your anger towards him. ANYWHERE else outside of Kentucky a national championship and runner-up would have bought the coach more time. Just tell the truth you didn't like what he said about school (most of which was true) and embarrassed the university. Now the stuff that happen AFTER Nolan left...I really don't see how he can be charged with that total lack leadership!

pantherblue

Nolan lost me before his last 2 seasons and before he left. When he started that BCA talk and tried to get big John Thompson to join him. Why was any of that needed coming after back to back great seasons? He was just a troublemaker in the end and used the stage he had to rant. I was sitting back laughing 2 years later when he challenged Broyles to fire him. 

zebradynasty

I think your memory is little off John Thompson John Chaney were the ones big on the BCA! Nolan did become a part of it but he was far from being the leader. Nolan has a never been a man that needed someone to follow him or a man that needed to follow somebody. It's part of what made him great and what ultimately his downfall. As far as trouble maker depends upon "what is trouble" I submit that when a schools AD is sitting at a table with media and athletes using the N word in the 1990's...now that's trouble!

sevenof400

Nolan tarnished his own legacy as early as the '95 NC game...  Arkansas should have destroyed UCLA  that night but Richardson's reluctance to teach fundamentals cost Arkansas dearly that night...

mack

February 20, 2012, 12:46:46 pm #357 Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 12:54:09 pm by mack
Quote from: sevenof400 on February 20, 2012, 12:07:56 pm
Nolan tarnished his own legacy as early as the '95 NC game...  Arkansas should have destroyed UCLA  that night but Richardson's reluctance to teach fundamentals cost Arkansas dearly that night...

My God some of this stuff kills me.  They get beat in a National Championship finals, by a team that had as many or more players go to the NBA [FYI- two first rounder, 4 second rounders] , and you say it's because he didn't teach fundamentals.  He routinely beat more talented teams.

I guess he used up all his allotted fundamental teaching on them the year before,,,,,,,,,

mack

Quote from: pantherblue on February 20, 2012, 11:42:10 am
Nolan lost me before his last 2 seasons and before he left. When he started that BCA talk and tried to get big John Thompson to join him. Why was any of that needed coming after back to back great seasons? He was just a troublemaker in the end and used the stage he had to rant. I was sitting back laughing 2 years later when he challenged Broyles to fire him. 

Boy,, I'll bet you were really laughing when Stan Heath and Pelphrey got rolling,,,,,,,,

pantherblue

When did either get rolling? LOL

now Pel would have HS these same guys this year so who knows. 

MA

Quote from: pantherblue on February 20, 2012, 01:11:50 pm

Pelphry had decent players.... Patrick Beverly, Courtney Fortson, Sonny Weems, Steven Hill.... Pelphry couldnt coach. He couldnt even get the top in state players to come play for him i.e. Fred Gulley and AJ Walton among others. They left soley because of Pelphrys coaching. Now we got Gulley back. Pelphry could hardly ever get this state excited about basketball. How many times has a team with 8 scholoarship players, 4 of which are freshman, been beaten by 20+ points multiple times on the road then come home to 19K+ people ready to go nuts for them? Thats all MA. Sure Pelphry would have had this group of players... But they would not be having the season they are having under MA.

Brian G

February 20, 2012, 01:29:19 pm #361 Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 01:33:21 pm by B.G.
Quote from: mack on February 20, 2012, 11:30:06 am
It is possible to appreciate his work and to note his tanks comments as harmful.  Where he's been and what he's been through has no bearing as to acknowledging his career with such high honors.

To award him such honors, you have to look at the entire contribution versus the harm he did down the strectch.

He tried and did partially destroy his own image and the UA itself through his own actions.. The UA doesn't owe him any more nor does he deserve any further awards.

Wrong.  He brought us something NO OTHER coach has done in a major sport.  He brought us an undisputed national championship, and a runner up.  He deserves much more.  He also deserved to be treated better than he was at both the beginning and end of his career.

You are just a hater BG.  You probably don't think Pete Rose deserves to be in the baseball HOF.
Not that simple.  He was paid and honored for his accomplishments.  He was paid 10 years beyond his last game.

I give him credit for all that.  But I can seperate the two.  He sued the UA and promised to bring it to it's knees.  He tried to tear it down and has been unapologetic from the get go.  He was not done wrong by the UA and court proved it.

It's absurd to think you name a court or give a statue to someone that sued you for cause and lost.

I have no problem giving him his due in other ways and forums.

But his freakish behavior at the 94 final four, his ongoing fued with authority(for what), his final seven years of lowered performance, his press conference at Kentucky, his subsequent press conference the following Monday, his tanks comment, his lawsuit and his overal general ripping of this state land grant institution is not to be overlooked.

He's not the only coach that had trouble with his AD and he ain't getting merit points because he pouted the loudest, screamed the longest and sued that very employer.  The very empolyer that gave him a unique opportunity.

It's noteworthy that he never really got another coaching job in the college ranks.  Wonder why that was?  It sure wasn't the UA's fault on that.  It was his own for being such a defiant personality.  No one wanted that.

What drove him, killed him.  He gets accolades and scorn for that.

pantherblue

Quote from: krik6 on February 20, 2012, 01:24:28 pm
Quote from: pantherblue on February 20, 2012, 01:11:50 pm

Pelphry had decent players.... Patrick Beverly, Courtney Fortson, Sonny Weems, Steven Hill.... Pelphry couldnt coach. He couldnt even get the top in state players to come play for him i.e. Fred Gulley and AJ Walton among others. They left soley because of Pelphrys coaching. Now we got Gulley back. Pelphry could hardly ever get this state excited about basketball. How many times has a team with 8 scholoarship players, 4 of which are freshman, been beaten by 20+ points multiple times on the road then come home to 19K+ people ready to go nuts for them? Thats all MA. Sure Pelphry would have had this group of players... But they would not be having the season they are having under MA.

Beveryly and Weems both left early and Fortson was a pothead.. LOL   And Stephen Hill, where is he playng now??

InYoGrill

PB, if I knew you missed GB football and Burcham that bad I would have found you all his high school game videos so you could tame your winter boredom and lash attack on our Nolan supporters.   ;D

Be calm blue cat, drink another European brand, my friend. 

Love Nolan or Hate him, he won a ton of games on the Hill.

Brian G

mack

Quote from: B.G. on February 20, 2012, 01:29:19 pm
Quote from: mack on February 20, 2012, 11:30:06 am

To award him such honors, you have to look at the entire contribution versus the harm he did down the stretch.

Not that simple.  He was paid and honored for his accomplishments.  He was paid 10 years beyond his last game.

I give him credit for all that.  But I can separate the two.  He sued the UA and promised to bring it to it's knees.  He tried to tear it down and has been unapologetic from the get go.  He was not done wrong by the UA and court proved it.

It's absurd to think you name a court or give a statue to someone that sued you for cause and lost.

I have no problem giving him his due in other ways and forums.

But his freakish behavior at the 94 final four, his ongoing feud with authority(for what), his final seven years of lowered performance, his press conference at Kentucky, his subsequent press conference the following Monday, his tanks comment, his lawsuit and his overall general ripping of this state land grant institution is not to be overlooked.

He's not the only coach that had trouble with his AD and he ain't getting merit points because he pouted the loudest, screamed the longest and sued that very employer.  The very employer that gave him a unique opportunity.

It's noteworthy that he never really got another coaching job in the college ranks.  Wonder why that was?  It sure wasn't the Au's fault on that.  It was his own for being such a defiant personality.  No one wanted that.

What drove him, killed him.  He gets accolades and scorn for that.

C'mon BG, you know very well he could have coached again in college.  To do so would have canceled out the settlement dollars he was owed.  It would have been national news if he had been pursuing another school, he never did.  You're being disingenuous on that.

As far as the suit, if he felt he was wronged by the Uof A, he should have sued them.  I'd like to sue them for ever hiring Houston Nutt, but I still love the University. 

Hopefully, when the white-haired devil and guys like you and I are feeding the worms, the powers that be up there will recognize the best major sport coach they ever had with a statue.

sevenof400

Quote from: mack on February 20, 2012, 12:46:46 pm

My God some of this stuff kills me.  They get beat in a National Championship finals, by a team that had as many or more players go to the NBA [FYI- two first rounder, 4 second rounders] , and you say it's because he didn't teach fundamentals.  He routinely beat more talented teams.

I guess he used up all his allotted fundamental teaching on them the year before,,,,,,,,,

No Nolan Richardson team was ever a fundamentally sound team.  NEVER.
Sure, they beat a lot of teams in the early to mid 90's because Nolan was able to recruit more than his share of talent to Fayetteville (and he does deserve credit for that) but fundamentals lost the 95 NC game.  In that game, I lost count of the number of times Arkansas failed to box out thus allowing UCLA an easy rebound on either end of the court. 

pantherblue

Quote from: InYoGrill on February 20, 2012, 01:53:06 pm

PB, if I knew you missed GB football and Burcham that bad I would have found you all his high school game videos so you could tame your winter boredom and lash attack on our Nolan supporters.   ;D

Be calm blue cat, drink another European brand, my friend. 

Love Nolan or Hate him, he won a ton of games on the Hill.

Nolan is no Bill Clinton so no, I don't hate him at all...  Just time for him to move on down the road or dawn the razorback colors during the game if he so chooses to go to them...  LOL

Brian G

Quote from: mack on February 20, 2012, 02:19:35 pm
Hopefully, when the white-haired devil and guys like you and I are feeding the worms, the powers that be up there will recognize the best major sport coach they ever had with a statue.
Wowzer.  Not all disagreement is hate.  I would be willing to bet you I've spent more time with him than you have.  I've fed homeless along side him and worked at camps with him.  I appreciate and respect his accomplishments.

But giving him a statue would be like leaving all your money to your ex-wife upon your death because she birthed your first born.  That ship sailed.

C'mon BG, you know very well he could have coached again in college.  To do so would have canceled out the settlement dollars he was owed.  It would have been national news if he had been pursuing another school, he never did.  You're being disingenuous on that.
No, I'm not.  He wanted other jobs to show he could coach again as a means to prove his doubter wrong.  He just found out he wasn't as wanted as he wished.  There were rumors all over the place for quite awhile after his departure.

And the money thing is valid partially.  It was his safety net, but for a man so sure he was wronged he certainly could have gone out and followed his convictions and proved to doubters his belief that he still had what it took.  He was so sure he was going to win his lawsuit that he banked on that with his professional life.

Brian G

February 20, 2012, 02:51:00 pm #369 Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 03:06:26 pm by B.G.
I again ask.  "What specific (provable) thing was done to him"?

It seems that the pro-Nolan100% backers need to discover personal faults with those that are not with them unilaterally.  Life isn't that simple.

I don't like 100% about people I vote for nor do I dislike 100% of the things people I don't vote for stand for at election time.

It's called balance.  It's possible to like/respect someone and dislike things they have done.

pantherblue

Quote from: B.G. on February 20, 2012, 02:48:47 pm
Wowzer.  Not all disagreement is hate.  I would be willing to bet you I've spent more time with him than you have.  I've fed homeless along side him and worked at camps with him.  I appreciate and respect his accomplishments.

But giving him a statue would be like leaving all your money to your ex-wife upon your death because she birthed your first born.  That ship sailed.

No, I'm not.  He wanted other jobs to show he could coach again as a means to prove his doubter wrong.  He just found out he wasn't as wanted as he wished.  There were rumors all over the place for quite awhile after his departure.

And the money thing is valid partially.  It was his safety net, but for a man so sure he was wronged he certainly could have gone out and followed his convictions and proved to doubters his belief that he still had what it took.  He was so sure he was going to win his lawsuit that he banked on that with his professional life.

And was just fired from coaching a women's team for failure to win if I"m not mistaken?

zebradynasty

I doubt it happens Mack Nolan bucked the status quo something NOBODY has ever really done up there. He must be punished in perpetuity! Heck it took dang near 20 years for them to honor the 94 team as if they did something wrong!

pantherblue

Quote from: zebradynasty on February 20, 2012, 02:55:51 pm
I doubt it happens Mack Nolan bucked the status quo something NOBODY has ever really done up there. He must be punished in perpetuity! Heck it took dang near 20 years for them to honor the 94 team as if they did something wrong!

But he felt no need to "buck the system" till after he won the NC...   He had to set the stage first and I guess he was just treated badly his first few years on the hill yet chose to stay and coach through it all....  LOL

Brian G

You say 'bucked', I say 'insubordinate' to his professional superiors at his job.  He's not being punished just because he doesn't get a statue or the court named after him.  He's just not getting an honor, they are not stripping his name from the record book.

As for the '94 thing, he would not come back in the building until then.

As of today, his wife Rose still doesn't.  That's her prerogative.

zebradynasty

Quote from: sevenof400 on February 20, 2012, 02:35:52 pm

Sure, they beat a lot of teams in the early to mid 90's because Nolan was able to recruit more than his share of talent to Fayetteville (and he does deserve credit for that) but fundamentals lost the 95 NC game.  In that game, I lost count of the number of times Arkansas failed to box out thus allowing UCLA an easy rebound on either end of the court. 

Nolan's team were routinely out rebounded so I am not sure where you got the idea all of sudden it cost them the second national championship. Arkansas lost because UCLA had something that gave Corliss problems his entire basketball career. Long athletic players gave him fits and they shut him down inside. They also had solid guard play which negated the pressure defense that we played. UCLA had the answer for everything we had that year.

zebradynasty

Quote from: pantherblue on February 20, 2012, 02:58:42 pm

But he felt no need to "buck the system" till after he won the NC...   He had to set the stage first and I guess he was just treated badly his first few years on the hill yet chose to stay and coach through it all....  LOL

OR he felt like how can I still be treated poorly after winning it all and felt things were never gonna change as long as the current leadership stayed. Sure he mis calculated he thought he had earned the right to speak out so he did.

Brian G

February 20, 2012, 03:09:06 pm #376 Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 03:15:08 pm by B.G.
Quote from: zebradynasty on February 20, 2012, 03:07:57 pm

OR he felt like how can I still be treated poorly after winning it all and felt things were never gonna change as long as the current leadership stayed. Sure he mis calculated he thought he had earned the right to speak out so he did.
Again and specifically/factually, how was he treated poorly after the first few years?

pantherblue

Broyles connections built Bud Walton not Nolan's... How do you go against the man who hired you and put you in a brand new arena giving you the free run of the program? Broyles had way less involvement in basketball compared to the football program...

zebradynasty

Quote from: B.G. on February 20, 2012, 02:59:12 pm
You say 'bucked', I say 'insubordinate' to his professional superiors at his job.  He's not being punished just because he doesn't get a statue or the court named after him.  He's just not getting an honor, they are not stripping his name from the record book.

HIM not coming back should not have prevented the recognition! If the players chose not to attend without him...I think that speaks for itself what they thought went on! Oh officially he never proved he was discriminated against that doesn't mean he was no done unfairly. the fact that UA went out and hired Affirmative Action hire Stan Heath was a strong indication that even UA thought Nolan had a case!

Brian G

Quote from: zebradynasty on February 20, 2012, 03:18:53 pm

HIM not coming back should not have prevented the recognition! If the players chose not to attend without him...I think that speaks for itself what they thought went on! Oh officially he never proved he was discriminated against that doesn't mean he was no done unfairly. the fact that UA went out and hired Affirmative Action hire Stan Heath was a strong indication that even UA thought Nolan had a case!

I'm going to politely disagree with you a bit.  On the reunion, they wanted him there and if he had not had been there(his fault or UA's fault) his absence would have been the story more than the reunion itself.  They wanted him there.  Plus you know how we Americans are so caught up on round numbers for birthday's, anniversaries and reunions.  The 10 year was too soon as it was.  Many of the players were still playing and couldn't be there.

Also, I see nothing wrong with the Heath hiring.  Someone was going to have to follow and I don't care what tone he was.  People would have made a big deal out of it either way the UA went.

Surely, we are past that kind of thought process.

But I can't give the Heath hiring on it's face as some kind of ploy because there is no basis or proof.

zebradynasty

Quote from: pantherblue on February 20, 2012, 03:12:19 pm

Broyles connections built Bud Walton not Nolan's... How do you go against the man who hired you and put you in a brand new arena giving you the free run of the program? Broyles had way less involvement in basketball compared to the football program...

You mean the same man that plotted to fire him while his daughter laid dying in the hospital bed? The same man that because of his "connections" had the NCAA sniffing around on campus threatening to put UA on probation thereby running away recruits. The same man that thinks calling white people redneck is equal to calling black people N's and voices that opinion in public. The same man that actually lied on the witness stand during the trial. How could you go against such a man ???

The last sentence Frank had less involvement in the basketball program than the football program. YEP and look at the results of his less involvement Greatness vs Mediocrity!

pantherblue

February 20, 2012, 03:33:04 pm #381 Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 03:44:13 pm by pantherblue
Quote from: zebradynasty on February 20, 2012, 03:28:08 pm

You mean the same man that plotted to fire him while his daughter laid dying in the hospital bed? The same man that because of his "connections" had the NCAA sniffing around on campus threatening to put UA on probation thereby running away recruits. The same man that thinks calling white people redneck is equal to calling black people N's and voices that opinion in public. The same man that actually lied on the witness stand during the trial. How could you go against such a man ???

The last sentence Frank had less involvement in the basketball program than the football program. YEP and look at the results of his less involvement Greatness vs Mediocrity!

I have never been a Broyles fan but don't for one minute think that I don't know what his imprtance was to the U of A where my son is at right now.  I hated Broyles hands in the football program... 

Brian G

Please, let's not go that far astray here.

zebradynasty

Quote from: B.G. on February 20, 2012, 03:24:17 pm

I'm going to politely disagree with you a bit.  On the reunion, they wanted him there and if he had not had been there(his fault or UA's fault) his absence would have been the story more than the reunion itself.  They wanted him there.  Plus you know how we Americans are so caught up on round numbers for birthday's, anniversaries and reunions.  The 10 year was too soon as it was.  Many of the players were still playing and couldn't be there.

Also, I see nothing wrong with the Heath hiring.  Someone was going to have to follow and I don't care what tone he was.  People would have made a big deal out of it either way the UA went.

But I can't give the Heath hiring on it's face as some kind of ploy because there is no basis or proof.

Well it's not so much about the 10 year reunion it was that little else was done! The reunion should have been icing on the cake as it was it was shameful how that team was ignored!

So you honestly think Stan Heath was ready to coach a major college program and THAT is why they hired him? Add the fact that he was the exact opposite of Nolan personality wise and it appears to me they were more concerned with image vs ability.

pantherblue

February 20, 2012, 03:42:12 pm #384 Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 03:44:38 pm by pantherblue
The MAJOR part of UA basketball had gone by the wayside before Nolan was terminated.  The door wasn't exactly lined up with hopefuls for the job when Heath was hired.... Heck the same goes for Pelphry...  Who else wanted the job?   One guy was even hired and quit the same day... LOL

mack

Quote from: sevenof400 on February 20, 2012, 02:35:52 pm

Do you not understand that Nolan did not always have the most talented teams? He wasn't getting the Parade All-Americans or the 5 star recruits that Duke, NC, Kentucky and on and on got regularly and he still competed with those studs and won.  You don't do that without fundamental foundations.  We could go ahead and debate this for days, but it would do no good.  I could try to explain the nature of Nolan's trapping and pressure defenses and how the nature of those made it difficult to always "box-out", but we'd still disagree.  He chose the pressure for easy baskets over sinking back and boxing out 100% of the time.  Every commentator that ever discusses him talks about Hall of Fame greatness, yet experts here in Arkansas say he can't coach fundamentals.

I'm baffled,,,,,

Brian G

I have no doubt his softer personality played a role in the Heath hiring.  That is only to say there had been so much noise, it was prudent to go opposite no matter who created the racket.

On the reunion, they are not done yet.  You really need to understand the shadow that Nolan cast over any and all things pertaining to those recognition ceremonies.  That pillow is getting softer.  More will be done.  The players and just as much the fans want it too.  But it should not be intertwined with a referendum for Nolan.  Just a very well coordinated effort to thank him for what he did in that context.

Brian G

Quote from: pantherblue on February 20, 2012, 03:42:12 pm
The MAJOR part of UA basketball had gone by the wayside before Nolan was terminated.  The door wasn't exactly lined up with hopefuls for the job when Heath was hired.... Heck the same goes for Pelphry...  Who else wanted the job?   One guy was even hired and quit the same day... LOL

And this was because of Nolan's loud trail of tears.

zebradynasty

Quote from: pantherblue on February 20, 2012, 03:33:04 pm

I have never been a Broyles fan but don't for one minute think that I don't know what his imprtance was to the U of A where my son is at right now.  I hated Broyles hands in the football program...  And as far as the R word vs the N word, what makes one less derogatory than the other?

It's OK BG I got this. I promise to stay on track by saying that is why the NATION was so surprised that Nolan won a Championship at ARKANSAS. If we were still in in the 50's, 60's, and 70's I would expect that from Frank but for it to have been in the 90's and school administrator to use such a comparison at the dinner table as the subject of conversation...Like I said the fact he won it all is surprising and even more impressive! You thinking they are same...nothing shocking there!

Brian G

^^  ZD was asked and he answered on the "word".  Now lets move back to a discussion that has stayed civil while disagreeing.

It'd be nice to debate/talk about stuff that has racial angles to it without the byproduct trash that often developes here.

mack

Quote from: zebradynasty on February 20, 2012, 03:37:19 pm
Quote from: B.G. on February 20, 2012, 03:24:17 pm

Well it's not so much about the 10 year reunion it was that little else was done! The reunion should have been icing on the cake as it was it was shameful how that team was ignored!

So you honestly think Stan Heath was ready to coach a major college program and THAT is why they hired him? Add the fact that he was the exact opposite of Nolan personality wise and it appears to me they were more concerned with image vs ability.

Yes, Yes and Yes ZD.  More has been celebrated regarding a 'shared' football national championship and the guy who coached that team than was done for a bonafide national championship team and coach.

I wish my stones were half as heavy as Nolan's,,,,,,,

zebradynasty

Quote from: B.G. on February 20, 2012, 03:51:56 pm
^^  ZD was asked and he answered on the "word".  Now lets move back to a discussion that has stayed civil while disagreeing.

It'd be nice to debate/talk about stuff that has racial angles to it without the byproduct trash that often developes here.
Quote from: B.G. on February 20, 2012, 03:48:41 pm

I recollect there were more people interested in the job after Nolan not so much after Heath and even less after Pel! However, Nolan had nothing to do with the guy accepting and rejecting the job the same day and heck he publicly endorse Pel and even requested that fans be patient. So these guys failed because they just couldn't cut it not because of Nolan's shadow!

Brian G

Quote from: mack on February 20, 2012, 03:52:21 pm
More has been celebrated regarding a 'shared' football national championship and the guy who coached that team than was done for a bonafide national championship team and coach.

I wish my stones were half as heavy as Nolan's,,,,,,,
This is just a product of being a football school and state.  Heck, this message board's traffic and talk radio prove that every single day.

Plus, that football deal Championship is 30 years older so it should have more noteriety as these guys get up in years.  Football built our athletic programss.  As time goes on I suspect we will have more and more stuff for the basketball team.  We need to get them into the retirement years first.  Right now, they are earning a living.

In the meanwhile, we have a player from then on staff and the return of an awesome assistant to get us back.

Brian G

February 20, 2012, 03:59:50 pm #393 Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 04:01:53 pm by B.G.
Quote from: zebradynasty on February 20, 2012, 03:56:12 pm

I recollect there were more people interested in the job after Nolan not so much after Heath and even less after Pel! However, Nolan had nothing to do with the guy accepting and rejecting the job the same day and heck he publicly endorse Pel and even requested that fans be patient. So these guys failed because they just couldn't cut it not because of Nolan's shadow!
Nolan did set us back and made things much harder than should have been the case 8 years removed from a title.

I in no way put the entire burden on him for Heath, Altman and Pel for things they could control.  Just some.  We should have been in a better position to hire someone better.

pantherblue

Quote from: zebradynasty on February 20, 2012, 03:49:12 pm

I have never been a Broyles fan but don't for one minute think that I don't know what his imprtance was to the U of A where my son is at right now.  I hated Broyles hands in the football program...  And as far as the R word vs the N word, what makes one less derogatory than the other?

It's OK BG I got this. I promise to stay on track by saying that is why the NATION was so surprised that Nolan won a Championship at ARKANSAS. If we were still in in the 50's, 60's, and 70's I would expect that from Frank but for it to have been in the 90's and school administrator to use such a comparison at the dinner table as the subject of conversation...Like I said the fact he won it all is surprising and even more impressive! You thinking they are same...nothing shocking there!

Nice response... I know the angle you are taking...

zebradynasty

Quote from: pantherblue on February 20, 2012, 04:00:02 pm

What angle?

zebradynasty

Quote from: B.G. on February 20, 2012, 03:59:50 pm
Quote from: zebradynasty on February 20, 2012, 03:56:12 pm

Nolan did set us back and made things much harder than should have been the case 8 years removed from a title.

I in no way put the entire burden on him for Heath, Altman and Pel for things they could control.  Just some.  We should have been in a better position to hire someone better.

I can agree with that things should have been easier for us to get a good coach after Nolan but the Admin I think had more to do with it.

pantherblue

Quote from: zebradynasty on February 20, 2012, 04:06:25 pm

What angle?

Exactly...

pantherblue

This was why coaches weren't flying to the Hill after Nolan left...  It wasn't because of the Administration....  Twist it anyway you want....

1995-1996 Arkansas 20-13 9-7 T-2nd (West) NCAA Sweet 16
1996-1997 Arkansas 18-14 8-8 2nd (West) NIT Final Four
1997-1998 Arkansas 24-9 11-5 2nd (West) NCAA 2nd Round
1998-1999 Arkansas 23-11 9-7 2nd (West) NCAA 2nd Round
1999-2000 Arkansas 19-15 7-9 3rd (West) NCAA 1st Round
2000-2001 Arkansas 20-11 10-6 2nd (West) NCAA 1st Round
2001-2002 Arkansas 13-14† 5-10† T-4th (West) None

zebradynasty

Quote from: pantherblue on February 20, 2012, 04:10:30 pm
Quote from: zebradynasty on February 20, 2012, 04:06:25 pm

What angle?

Exactly...

I am afraid you have me at a disadvantage I am trying to communicate with words and you want to communicate in riddles. Say what's on you mind! You're among friends here!  ;)

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas