• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Best Jr. High Conference

Started by Chief_Osceola™, September 16, 2015, 07:43:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Chief_Osceola™

September 16, 2015, 07:43:11 pm Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 11:38:26 am by Chief_Osceola™
It has to be the River City Conference. From top to bottom anyway. Just look at the teams:

Maumelle
PA
Watson Chapel
Sylvan Hills
Jacksonville
White Hall
Mills
Sheridan

Every week is a test, kind of like the SEC.  A lot of perennial playoff teams among the high schools in this group.

x14113

Chief_Osceola™

I'm honestly not sure. I can try to find out for certain, but I want to say it may be the Metro Conference.

Rob Van Winkle

I would probably look at the NWA conference. Bentonville, Fayetteville, Springdale and Rogers. BV and FV are the kings of the mountain so that JH conference is probably pretty tough.

Also the conf with the Fort Smith schools and Greenwood is probably pretty tough.

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: Rob Van Winkle on September 18, 2015, 03:10:19 pm
I would probably look at the NWA conference. Bentonville, Fayetteville, Springdale and Rogers. BV and FV are the kings of the mountain so that JH conference is probably pretty tough.

Also the conf with the Fort Smith schools and Greenwood is probably pretty tough.

I'm sure the top 2 teams could compete with our conference, but I wonder if they have the depth of the River City.  We really only have one team that could be penciled in as a win for every other team, and that is Mills.  Other than that, every game is a battle and you have to play well or you'll lose.  There are 5 teams that have a realistic chance of winning the title this year - Maumelle, PA, White Hall, Watson Chapel, and Sylvan Hills. 

OLDSCHOOL82

To be honest from what I've seen over the years, the bigger the school, the less emphasis is put on winning below the Sr high level. I know of a few of the local bigger schools that basically script out what they want from their younger teams for all games. They focus more on developing what they need than solely on winning.

Chief_Osceola™

^ Not in the River City.  Those teams want to both develop players and win.

OLDSCHOOL82

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on September 23, 2015, 03:27:33 pm

I've only watched one jr high game from that conference and it was 5 or 6 years ago.  I have no doubt its loaded with athletes!

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: OLDSCHOOL82 on September 23, 2015, 03:29:36 pm
Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on September 23, 2015, 03:27:33 pm

I've only watched one jr high game from that conference and it was 5 or 6 years ago.  I have no doubt its loaded with athletes!

Athletes everywhere.  Booneville would be able to compete, especially this year with the team y'all have.  I doubt many other schools could handle the grind that teams in the RC have to withstand week in and week out though.

Rob Van Winkle

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on September 23, 2015, 10:56:45 am
Quote from: Rob Van Winkle on September 18, 2015, 03:10:19 pm

I'm sure the top 2 teams could compete with our conference, but I wonder if they have the depth of the River City.  We really only have one team that could be penciled in as a win for every other team, and that is Mills.  Other than that, every game is a battle and you have to play well or you'll lose.  There are 5 teams that have a realistic chance of winning the title this year - Maumelle, PA, White Hall, Watson Chapel, and Sylvan Hills.

Good point Chief. There are 9 teams in the NWA conference-BV-2, FV-2, Sdale-4, Rogers-2 and Siloam Springs with 1. The conference usually has 3-4 teams with a legit shot to win it each year and this year it looks to be the 2 BV teams along with SD Central. So I would say that there is not the same grind each week as the RC conference because there are some weak teams at the bottom of the league each year. Now the top teams are as good as any in the state year in year out.

Lots of good young talent in the state. I know some of the Booneville kids and they are very good. Would be kind of neat for the top teams to get a chance to play each other but that will never happen.

Chief_Osceola™

I know, that would be awesome.  I'd like to see how the best from our conference competes with the NW Arkansas schools.  I have no doubt the winner of that conference would be a huge challenge for anyone. 

Chief_Osceola™

After 6 weeks, it looks like Watson Chapel and Maumelle have the inside track to the conference championship game.  I believe WC sits at 6-0, and Maumelle is 5-1 with its loss coming in OT to Chapel in a great game.  PA looked very strong early, but has had a few key injuries and was upset by Jacksonville last week.  It's been an interesting season - lots of close games.  White Hall has lost 3 or 4 by one score or less to the teams at the top; Sheridan has had some big wins and some big losses, and WC & Maumelle have been able to pull out some close ones this year so far.  It's been a fun season as a fan getting to watch some exciting games.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: OLDSCHOOL82 on September 23, 2015, 02:56:06 pm
To be honest from what I've seen over the years, the bigger the school, the less emphasis is put on winning below the Sr high level. I know of a few of the local bigger schools that basically script out what they want from their younger teams for all games. They focus more on developing what they need than solely on winning.
that is what you should do if you have the numbers instead of playing kids both ways.

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: Oldman on October 09, 2015, 01:59:25 pm
Quote from: OLDSCHOOL82 on September 23, 2015, 02:56:06 pm
that is what you should do if you have the numbers instead of playing kids both ways.

All the schools in our conference have separate 8th & 9th grade teams, so while the schools themselves may be 'bigger', we don't necessarily have the numbers on the sidelines.  Most teams in the River City have between 30-45 kids on their 9th grade roster.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas