• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1-4A Score, Schedules and Comments

Started by OldTimeCager, November 25, 2014, 09:08:59 am

Previous topic - Next topic

4AWhistler

Quote from: channing on January 20, 2015, 11:24:57 pm
I too was at the PG/Lincoln game not sure why the comment about whinny PG kids needs to be made, I didn't see that at all, what I saw was a very competitive game,  Lincoln is a pretty good team that will win a lot of games,  PG defended the heck out of Biggie, he had zero points till he hit a meaningless three in last minute.  Enjoyed watching that game and look forward to seeing them play again.

I have no qualms with how the game was played last night.  Lincoln was defended well, and the box and one was effective. Lincoln's shooting woes continue. 

I would've appreciated the game more if players didn't go straight to a ref to complain after a foul.  That what your team captains are responsible for doing, and I think that's one way refs can let a game get out if hand.  This one didn't get out of hand, but it takes away from the game when players behave inappropriately.

OldTimeCager

Gentry 65 Gravette 58 in OT @ Gentry

channing

Again I didnt see that but you have the right to your opinion(sounds like sour grapes) Kids are competitive and honestly refs in this area are Horrible and inconsistent, last night was the best refed game ive seen in this area in years though.

OldTimeCager

Boys

Conf  Overall

Team        W-L   W-L
Pea Ridge  6-1   13-7
Huntsville  6-1   19-2
PG            5-2   9-9
Lincoln      3-4  11-8
Shiloh       3-4  6-14
Gentry      2-5  9-7
Gravette   2-5  7-12
Berryville  1-6  8-12

4AWhistler

Quote from: channing on January 21, 2015, 08:50:47 am
Again I didnt see that but you have the right to your opinion(sounds like sour grapes) Kids are competitive and honestly refs in this area are Horrible and inconsistent, last night was the best refed game ive seen in this area in years though.

No sour grapes here.  It's an issue Luncoln has struggled with also, but they are maturing as the season progresses.

I thought the game the game was officiated well other than allowing kids to talk back.

I've noticed a lot a new faces among refs in the 4A this season.  Wonder why?

Cajun Hog

Quote from: 4AWhistler on January 21, 2015, 10:42:06 am

No sour grapes here.  It's an issue Luncoln has struggled with also, but they are maturing as the season progresses.

I thought the game the game was officiated well other than allowing kids to talk back.

NWA has had a bunch of ref's retire this year.

doober3

Quote from: 4AWhistler on January 21, 2015, 10:42:06 am

I didn't think it was well officiated at all.

Within the first minute there were 2 fouls on PG that were both called jump balls.  At the end of the 1st half there were 12 fouls on Lincoln and 3 on PG.  Now I'm not one to gripe about the "fairness" of fouls but there were more than 3 fouls that SHOULD have been call on PG.

2 players in particular were the constant back talkers.  I wish I had been closer to hear what they said but most of the time they just shook their heads with smirks on their faces while they jawed the refs.

BTW, is PG building a new gym?  That place looks like a Fire Marshall's nightmare!

channing

Lincoln people need a large cup of reality and a course in taking a loss and being a good loser(they have had enough losing they should be use to it) You do a dis service to the kids of lincoln by the way you cry about the refs and the opposing players

NEA Razorback olfan

IMO   The Coaches should take care of their players talking back to refs

doober3

Quote from: channing on January 21, 2015, 02:52:04 pm
Lincoln people need a large cup of reality and a course in taking a loss and being a good loser(they have had enough losing they should be use to it) You do a dis service to the kids of lincoln by the way you cry about the refs and the opposing players

I'm not a "Lincoln people" if you were directing that at me.

channing

Just assumed you werent PG since you stated your views

4AWhistler

Quote from: NEA Razorback olfan on January 21, 2015, 03:04:20 pm
IMO   The Coaches should take care of their players talking back to refs
I agree .

GobsRule

Quote from: Feral Man on January 21, 2015, 07:21:11 pm
Officials have been pretty bad this year! It seems like they call fouls that change the game early. Then after the outcome is decided, start calling fouls on the other team to make it look even. They need to be watched closer by some head of officiating people every night.
Are you talking 4a or 5a? Since you left the conference to get away from those Pea Ridge soph's ;)

think

Can't comment on 1-4a but the other 4a games I've watched this year the refs have been really bad. Watched a kid last night get called for a reach in foul that was questionable about a minute in. Then a minute later he had an obvious tie up. Had both hands on the ball and the offensive kid had stopped. Ref called a foul and the kid went to the bench with 2 fouls ~3 minutes into the game.

Some of the biggest issues I've seen are fouls on the floor vs. continuation and walks. Refs can't seem to make these calls with any consistency.

oldballer

I saw on a webpage tonight that Biggie has been offered a scholarship by Utah St. I guess they know more than we do. He does have a lot of potential. Congratulations to him. I may have to go check him out again tomorrow night. Can someone tell me who they play?

Old Wolf

DePaul watched PG game (still love him)....Iowa visited at Lincoln High Wed (are coming back to see a game soon)....Virginia coming to Tues game vs PR...Maryland coming to friday game vs Berryville....

Old Wolf

potential is a powerful word. Can you imagine Biggie weighing 210 or 215 with his skills? College coaches can! a red shirt or Prep school will be perfect for him. He & his family totally understand that. he is a late bloomer, who is a year away from reaching his full capabilities. D-1 coaches can see that

4AWhistler

Quote from: oldballer on January 22, 2015, 11:16:59 pm
I saw on a webpage tonight that Biggie has been offered a scholarship by Utah St. I guess they know more than we do. He does have a lot of potential. Congratulations to him. I may have to go check him out again tomorrow night. Can someone tell me who they play?

Lincoln plays Gravette Friday night.  It's Homecoming, so the boys' game will be played before the girls'.

4AWhistler

Lincoln 61 Gravette 51

Lincoln lead by 15 most of the game.  Good shooting night and impressive defense at guard position.  Good team play. 

Gravette couldn't get the ball inside and didn't shoot well from the arc.

oldtimeeagle

Huntsville wins both games at Prairie Grove.

Girls 40-38
Boys 45-39

leaglebb

Whew that was close on both games!  I wish I had gone to those two tonight.

oldtimeeagle

oldballer

Quote from: Old Wolf on January 23, 2015, 12:33:04 am
potential is a powerful word. Can you imagine Biggie weighing 210 or 215 with his skills? College coaches can! a red shirt or Prep school will be perfect for him. He & his family totally understand that. he is a late bloomer, who is a year away from reaching his full capabilities. D-1 coaches can see that
I attended this game tonight and I still don't see the Biggie Hype. he was guarded by a kid all night that might have been 5'10 and Biggie may have scored a couple of buckets. I understand the year away and all that, but his level of play is questionable. I don't understand the thought process of Gravette at all. They have this big kid inside and they didn't pass him the ball more than 4-5 times all night. I have never seen a team with this poor of guard play. I think the Big kid from Gravette 6'8" and Biggie 6'9" are suffering from being on poor teams and there is no one else to make the defense worry.

channing

I think people are losing perspective of Biggie, he is not a take over type player, but the reason he is being looked at by a lot of schools is because he's 6'9 he can shoot it and spot up from long distance and that is a weapon on a really good team .

channing

Also went to Huntsville Prairie Grove game,  my thoughts are Huntsville is a really good team with no weakness, PG fought hard like they do every game ,just came down to kid from huntsville hitting big 3 pointer in closing seconds and PG missing one and the put back.  PG really seems to have no true guard to really set up there offense and brake down the defense ,  I've since PG several times now and guard play appears to be achilies heal

MA

January 24, 2015, 01:05:07 am #175 Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 01:16:21 am by krik6
Quote from: channing on January 23, 2015, 11:49:56 pm
I think people are losing perspective of Biggie, he is not a take over type player, but the reason he is being looked at by a lot of schools is because he's 6'9 he can shoot it and spot up from long distance and that is a weapon on a really good team .

This. Biggie is very versatile. He is capable of going for 35 against good teams (Charleston). He is capable of making 8 out of 9 3's (Mena). He's capable of playing inside the arc and hitting 100% of his 2 pt shots (Mena &  Gentry).

He can bring the ball up the floor against pressure. He is one of the best passing big men in the country, he has had multiple 7-9 assist games this year and could have had 10+ if his teammates made easy shots. He can make step back 3's. He can make transition 3's. He can make mid range jumpers off the dribble. He can play with his back to the basket and finish with a hook shot from either hand. He can cross you over and dunk on you in traffic. He's also capable of 5+ blocked shots on any given night. And, like tonight,  he can grab 16 rebounds on a given night. He rarely turns the ball over. He does all of this with very little help. He has 10 eyes on him every time he gets the ball. There's nobody else for Lincoln who can take the pressure off of him.

The other thing you need to realize while watching Biggie is that he is being guarded by 5'10-6'2 kids who are usually the other teams best defender/athlete. Biggie is 6'9+ and still growing. He is a highly skilled stretch 4. In college he will have 6'10 kids on him who are not used to guarding on the perimeter. He will be able to take those guys off the dribble much easier in college than in high school. If they put a smaller athlete on him in college he will be able to take them in the post. It's very difficult for a 6'9 kid to handle the ball against a defender who is level with the ball. It will actually get a little easier for him to handle the ball and do what he does in college.

Biggie is also still growing. He is a late bloomer. He has a 36" vertical. At 6'9 that is pretty good. He has never touched a weight... He has a good frame. He will gain 15-20 lbs quickly. Recruiting is all bout projection. Only a few kids each year are guarantees. Countless kids each year "underachieve" and countless kids you have never heard of turn into great college players. It's about potential. Biggies skill set is through the roof for a kid his size. That's why he is getting the looks and the offers. That's also the reason  you see kids in high school average 25-30 a game and don't sniff D1. It doesn't have as much to do with numbers as it does potential.

Hope that makes sense. Instead of arguing about 17 year old kid, why don't we just enjoy him while he is here and wish him the best where ever he ends up. Because wherever he ends up, he will be repping Arkansas. Specifically small school northwest Arkansas.

4AWhistler

January 24, 2015, 12:59:44 pm #176 Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 01:09:35 pm by 4AWhistler
Quote from: oldballer on January 23, 2015, 11:39:07 pm
Quote from: Old Wolf on January 23, 2015, 12:33:04 am
I attended this game tonight and I still don't see the Biggie Hype. he was guarded by a kid all night that might have been 5'10 and Biggie may have scored a couple of buckets. I understand the year away and all that, but his level of play is questionable. I don't understand the thought process of Gravette at all. They have this big kid inside and they didn't pass him the ball more than 4-5 times all night. I have never seen a team with this poor of guard play. I think the Big kid from Gravette 6'8" and Biggie 6'9" are suffering from being on poor teams and there is no one else to make the defense worry.

This is why none of us are college basketball recruiters!  We tend to look for an immediate, impactful player as a freshmen and not look for that impact to come a year or two down the road.  The majority of the kids playing D1 ball are not true freshmen.

Ole Legend

Quote from: Feral Man on January 23, 2015, 10:40:42 pm
Pea Ridge wins at gentry.

The Gentry coach showed his true colors once again. He argued almost every call that was made, and ended up throwing his suit jacket and getting a technical in the fourth quarter.

4AWhistler

Ha!   I'd say there are a few coaches, in NWA alone, that should probably tune in the that Angry Coaches show I've seen advertised on tv!

Momma_S

I know this isn't a junior high thread, but it fits the topic. Tonight in 1-4A I witnessed a ref arguing with a fan that an post player was allowed to stand in the lane for more than 12 seconds. Ref said, "He's playing defense. He's allowed to be in the lane. It was Red's ball." ...and yet, "red" was on offense, bringing the ball up the floor...

The inconsistency this season in 4A basketball has been ridiculous.

Not only that, but there is one particular ref who, each time I have been at a game he's worked, has complained to school superintendents that "fans are trying to tell me how to do my job; I'm going to give them the whistle and walk off the court."  ...

Isn't adversity and criticism something they should be taught to ignore while working? Is that too much to ask? For a level head in a game?

channing

Agree 100%,  most Refs in this area seem to think they are the show and have a chip on there shoulders,  The games are for the kids and not these bozo refs, there are about 2 refs in this area who understand that and try to only keep the game in control and let the players decide the outcome.

oldtimeeagle

Huntsville wins both games tonight at Shiloh. Girls score was 61-42 and boys was 64-43.

4AWhistler

January 27, 2015, 09:23:03 pm #182 Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 10:19:34 pm by 4AWhistler
Pea Ridge 50 Lincoln 43

Lincoln lead much of the game by as many as 9.  Good team play tonight, scoring spread around evenly, just couldn't sustain the momentum.

Pea Ridge was up by 3 with a few seconds left.  Lincoln fouled to put them on the line, and they pulled away in the last 15 seconds.

channing

Anyone have updated Standings for the girls and boys ?

oldtimeeagle

Both Huntsville teams are now 8-1 in the 1-4A.

Momma_S

January 28, 2015, 03:52:58 pm #185 Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 03:58:07 pm by Momma_S

Read on Twitter that Barker hit SEVEN 3s for Gentry in the boys' game. Someone confirm that?

oldballer

Quote from: channing on January 28, 2015, 08:41:47 am
Channing, I see you post a lot about PG. Were you at the game last night? I saw on twitter that it was really close in the early 4th quarter. How did Gravette stay close? I thought the PG big boy would tear them up.

channing

Did not make it last night, but got wrap up of game from couple of parents.  Typical Prairie Grove game, they just dont blow anyone out,  Got down 10 or so early but clawed there way back and tied it at half, had lead for most of second half but remained close till last couple of minutes. Big kid had big night though, was told he probably had 10 or so blocks, and about 16 points. Again was told guard play from the point guard position was bad.  They are 6-3 in conference and each lose has come down to final minute where you just have to have quality at the point guard position, which they just dont seem to have.  Sadly that I believe will keep them from going deep into postseason.

Ole Legend

Quote from: Momma_S on January 28, 2015, 03:52:58 pm

Read on Twitter that Barker hit SEVEN 3s for Gentry in the boys' game. Someone confirm that?

I think he hit seven 3's against PR on Friday last week.

All sports fan

Confirm Barker did have Seven 3s in the Berryville game last night. He also had Seven 3s in the Pea Ridge game last Friday night, which was anyone's game until the last two minutes left in the game. Then one ref. made some very questionable calls. The worst was Gentry's player on the floor calling a time out,did not get it. Then several seconds he calls a walk on The kid setting on the floor. That is when the coaches coat came off an he got a big T. Not too smart to get a T in the last minute of the game. This put Pea Ridge on the line to shoot. Tough game to lose for the Gentry  who beat Pea Ridge on Dec. 15 score 52-49 .

Ole Legend

Quote from: All sports fan on January 28, 2015, 08:02:34 pm

Confirm Barker did have Seven 3s in the Berryville game last night. He also had Seven 3s in the Pea Ridge game last Friday night, which was anyone's game until the last two minutes left in the game. Then one ref. made some very questionable calls. The worst was Gentry's player on the floor calling a time out,did not get it. Then several seconds he calls a walk on The kid setting on the floor. That is when the coaches coat came off an he got a big T. Not too smart to get a T in the last minute of the game. This put Pea Ridge on the line to shoot. Tough game to lose for the Gentry  who beat Pea Ridge on Dec. 15 score 52-49 .

You are making it sound like the refs decided who won that game, but the calls definitely didn't favor Pea Ridge. I assure you that PR earned that win. PR hit shots in the fourth, and Gentry did not. The Barker kid is the only player that played well for Gentry that night.

DerekOxford

Girls

Conf    Overall

Team        W-L    W-L

Huntsville  8-1    18-4

Berryville  7-2     15-7

PG            7-2     11-10

Lincoln      5-4     14-8

Gentry      4-5     7-10

Pea Ridge  3-6     8-14

Shiloh       2-7     3-17

Gravette   0-9     5-16

Friday

Lincoln at Berryville

Huntsville at Gentry

Pea Ridge at Gravette

Shiloh Christian at PG

Boys

Conf  Overall

Team        W-L   W-L

Pea Ridge  8-1   15-7

Huntsville  8-1   21-2

PG            6-3   10-10

Lincoln      4-5  12-9

Shiloh       4-5  7-15

Gentry      3-6  10-8

Gravette   2-7  7-14

Berryville  1-8  8-14

Friday

Lincoln at Berryville

Huntsville at Gentry

Pea Ridge at Gravette

Shiloh Christian at PG

oldtimeeagle

Huntsville wins both sr high games at Gentry.

Girls 65-28
Boys 48-26

Momma_S

Berryville Boys beat Lincoln 60-40.
Turner (#4) from Berryville had 33 points.

OldTimeCager

Quote from: oldballer on January 28, 2015, 04:36:52 pm
Quote from: channing on January 28, 2015, 08:41:47 am
Channing, I see you post a lot about PG. Were you at the game last night? I saw on twitter that it was really close in the early 4th quarter. How did Gravette stay close? I thought the PG big boy would tear them up.

Not sure how you thought PG's big would "tear them up."  Gravette's big is arguably, I saw arguably, the best post player in the league.  Definitely a good discussion about who is the best big, Huntsville, PG and Gravette are the top three for sure.  And please don't throw Biggie anywhere near this discussion.

OldTimeCager

Pea Ridge escapes at Gravette with a hard fought 65-62 win on a three pointer with 2.4 seconds.  Gravette's defense broke down when they attempted to trap the ball in the corner and left Pea Ridge's best shooter open on the wing for a free look at the three due to the double team.

channing

I agree with the assessment of the Gravette big man, he has improved tremendously from last year, I didn't see him the other night against Prairie Grove but I understand he more than held his own. I was at the PG Shiloh game last night and watched Shiloh throw a barrage of 3 pointers at Prairie Grove but like the second half of last year and for the most part of this conference season they found a way to win. Prairie Grove had Pea Ridge Tuesday , should be quit a battle with PR who seem to never lose a close game.

JP_TheEug

If anyone was curious, terrible officiating in Gravette last night. The crew called 52 fouls in the girls game and I think 47 in the boys game. 32 of those 47 were against Pea Ridge. Gravette is a different animal in their home gym. Luckily, Davis got back on track from beyond the arc and Joey Hall had the game of his life, scoring 27, including the game winner.

TigerMan2005

This conference is so down this year. Top teams that truly deserve to be on the top are supposed to deal with the lower teams handily. Whoever makes it to regionals out of this conference will probably not even make it to state. Huntsville is the only team with a shot.

Ole Legend

Quote from: TigerMan2005 on January 31, 2015, 12:48:02 pm
This conference is so down this year. Top teams that truly deserve to be on the top are supposed to deal with the lower teams handily. Whoever makes it to regionals out of this conference will probably not even make it to state. Huntsville is the only team with a shot.

Pea Ridge is better than Huntsville.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas