• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Who exceeded expectations this year and who was a let down?

Started by Gr3yhounds, December 01, 2016, 06:51:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Gr3yhounds

I wonder who was a let down and who excelled this year in the 2a

beach bum

Teams that exceeded expectations.....

Hampton- I know it sounds crazy cause we knew they had obvious talent, but they gelled fast with the talent and are even at a level people may have not have thought in August

Camden HG- Same thing, I think everyone thought they would transition smooth into 2A, but they took it to a whole different level

Mount Ida- Exact same here, we all knew they would be stout, but they are now sitting at 13-0 so you have to put them on the list at undefeated.

England- I think everyone knew they would be the front runner to win state, but you have to give 15-18 year old kids kudos for living up to that expectation, now they have quite the tussle tomorrow night waiting on them

Murfreesboro- getting to 9 wins was great for them

Foreman- 9 wins was big time for that school

Hackett- I know they only got to the 2nd round, but they had a young team and won 10 games. I think we can all agree with a different draw they probably would have easily got a round further to the quarterfinals. I see them as a top 8 caliber team in 2A

flawlessthoughts

Obviously Hampton exceeded expectations. For me it was Bearden that was a let down. I thought they would have a great season.

Gr3yhounds

From the beginning I don't really follow 2a very much but I knew from the beginning but I did know about England football and from the getgo they was going to be a dominant force in 2a

tacklethis...

December 01, 2016, 07:35:43 pm #4 Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 07:38:30 pm by tacklethis...
Quote from: beach bum on December 01, 2016, 06:57:25 pm

Hampton- I know it sounds crazy cause we knew they had obvious talent, but they gelled fast with the talent and are even at a level people may have not have thought in August

Camden HG- Same thing, I think everyone thought they would transition smooth into 2A, but they took it to a whole different level

Mount Ida- Exact same here, we all knew they would be stout, but they are now sitting at 13-0 so you have to put them on the list at undefeated.

England- I think everyone knew they would be the front runner to win state, but you have to give 15-18 year old kids kudos for living up to that expectation, now they have quite the tussle tomorrow night waiting on them

Hackett- I know they only got to the 2nd round, but they had a young team and won 10 games. I think we can all agree with a different draw they probably would have easily got a round further to the quarterfinals. I see them as a top 8 caliber team in 2A

Three issues with your statements...Mt Ida isn't undefeated and Foreman won 8 games not 9...Murf won 8 also...

dawgpound

From the beginning I would say Murphs for sure exceeded expectations after Hampton played them the biggest let down is PC after playing Hampton their wheels fell off

beach bum

Quote from: tacklethis... on December 01, 2016, 07:35:43 pm
Three issues with your statements...Mt Ida isn't undefeated and Foreman won 8 games not 9...Murf won 8 also...

I went off what Fearless Friday has listed on their standings page! They obviously messed the 7-2A up pretty good. I know their standings got a little funky with any conferences that ended up having forfeits.

Hornet4ever

Quote from: dawgpound on December 01, 2016, 07:36:41 pm
From the beginning I would say Murphs for sure exceeded expectations after Hampton played them the biggest let down is PC after playing Hampton their wheels fell off

Parkers Chapel's ship sunk quick.

Hornet4ever

Quote from: beach bum on December 01, 2016, 06:57:25 pm

Hackett will be even better next year as well. Excited for it!

big E

PW went 6-5 first winning season in 12 years all tough they fell off at the end I told everyone before this season started that 3-7 was probably going to be there record. Anything over that was gravy with the way the program was ran. Looks like we got a little gravy.

479sFinest

I was particularly excited to see how Hackett did. Aside from a few standout players, a lot of the guys on this team were Sophomores. I didn't expect them to step up the way they did, but I was absolutely pleased to see it.

I think everyone expected England to be good, but I just didn't realize how good they were until the last few weeks. They are a top team, and they exceeded my expectations greatly.

stuck in between

The Winners
1. Hampton - No matter how they came about it anytime a team goes from not having a team one year to being 12-0 and a serious contender for the state champion the next it must be respected.

2. Foreman - The Gators had the best season they have had since 2001. Only loosing five seniors they should be able to build on this years success.

3. Mt. Ida - A very young team that although most had penciled in as winning the 7-2A. I do not think many had them going this far.

4. Murfreesboro - Doubled their wins from last years 4-7 season and got the 2nd place trophy in the 7-2A

5. Quitman - First winning season in 5 years I believe.

6. Salem - Made it to the 2nd round after knocking off last years state champ.

7. Cross County - Did a fantastic job of putting the off the field drama behind them and playing ball. Could have been another Bobby Petrino- John L. Smith season.

Losers

1. Brinkley - Worst record in 6 years

2. Hazen - I think they are young, but still the worst record they have had as far back as Fearless reports

3. McCrory - I know they lost a lot last year, but the defending state champs should do better than 6-4 and a first round loss

4. Lafayette County - Under achieved all year.

5. Rison - In the same boat as McCrory.

6. Parkers Chapel - They did increase their wins by 1, but I think the Trojan faithful expected a little more.

2. Des Arc - Because PickDaEagles had everyone convinced that they would beat Hampton and they didn't.

Backwoods Bart

Quote from: flawlessthoughts on December 01, 2016, 06:58:22 pm
Obviously Hampton exceeded expectations. For me it was Bearden that was a let down. I thought they would have a great season.

why would you be disappointed in Bearden? They had a good rebuilding year, more than doubling the wins from the previous year. What you should be concerned about what you plan to do when you lose the athlete that your team has rode the coattails on to get to where you're at. I think everybody knows other than a select few, that without Thomas, Hampton will be a middle-of-the-road average team. I know that's hard for you to take being on a first class pass to where you are now by one person. Bearden will mercy rule Hampton next year without Thomas.

Backwoods Bart

December 02, 2016, 08:47:41 am #13 Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 08:55:03 am by Backwoods Bart
And that's what you should be disappointed about when it comes to Bearden what you're facing

Old flemless thoughts. Open your mouth remove all doubt!

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: stuck in between on December 02, 2016, 07:36:16 am
The Winners
1. Hampton - No matter how they came about it anytime a team goes from not having a team one year to being 12-0 and a serious contender for the state champion the next it must be respected.

2. Foreman - The Gators had the best season they have had since 2001. Only loosing five seniors they should be able to build on this years success.

3. Mt. Ida - A very young team that although most had penciled in as winning the 7-2A. I do not think many had them going this far.

4. Murfreesboro - Doubled their wins from last years 4-7 season and got the 2nd place trophy in the 7-2A

5. Quitman - First winning season in 5 years I believe.

6. Salem - Made it to the 2nd round after knocking off last years state champ.

7. Cross County - Did a fantastic job of putting the off the field drama behind them and playing ball. Could have been another Bobby Petrino- John L. Smith season.

Losers

1. Brinkley - Worst record in 6 years

2. Hazen - I think they are young, but still the worst record they have had as far back as Fearless reports

3. McCrory - I know they lost a lot last year, but the defending state champs should do better than 6-4 and a first round loss

4. Lafayette County - Under achieved all year.

5. Rison - In the same boat as McCrory.

6. Parkers Chapel - They did increase their wins by 1, but I think the Trojan faithful expected a little more.

2. Des Arc - Because PickDaEagles had everyone convinced that they would beat Hampton and they didn't.

How is that? I never once said we would win.

bulldawg2016

Quote from: Backwoods Bart on December 02, 2016, 08:46:27 am
why would you be disappointed in Bearden? They had a good rebuilding year, more than doubling the wins from the previous year. What you should be concerned about what you plan to do when you lose the athlete that your team has rode the coattails on to get to where you're at. I think everybody knows other than a select few, that without Thomas, Hampton will be a middle-of-the-road average team. I know that's hard for you to take being on a first class pass to where you are now by one person. Bearden will mercy rule Hampton next year without Thomas.

I bet a wing bearden will not mercy rule Hampton next year!

Backwoods Bart

Quote from: bulldawg2016 on December 02, 2016, 10:24:10 am
I bet a wing bearden will not mercy rule Hampton next year!

Bearden will recalibrate the Bulldogs in 17'.

playmaker04

December 02, 2016, 10:56:40 am #17 Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 11:09:50 am by playmaker04
Idk that England and Mt. ida exceeded expectations. I had England number one all year. Now Hampton,HG,Cross County,Quitman and Salem definitely. 

I believe Cross County and HG are going to be tough to beat next year. Earle will be good. Mt ida only losing like 5 srs. Hampton and England will lose quite a few srs.

The 2 that really surprised me that didn't fare as well was Hector and LC. I had Hector going to the finals at the beginning of the year and they lost in second round. And LC,probabably in the top 5 in 2A athletically but just so undisciplined.

stuck in between

Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on December 02, 2016, 09:52:40 am
How is that? I never once said we would win.

Just taking a stab at you Pick. Des Arc had nothing at all to be ashamed about. Very good season. However, if I'm not mistaken early on in the season you were itching to get a shot at Ables and were pretty darn adamant that the Eagles would pull it off if a game did happen.

RiverEagle079

I think DA exceeded my expectations I was thinking a 2 seed at the beginning of the season and they did much better

flawlessthoughts

Quote from: Backwoods Bart on December 02, 2016, 08:46:27 am
SHUT UP!! I'm not from Hampton & I was giving credit. What I'm saying is I had Bearden picked to be the best team in the 8 before the Hermitage kids transferred. Now if you expected nothing of them that's you but I expected a great season from those talented youngsters.

Backwoods Bart

December 05, 2016, 03:10:53 pm #21 Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 03:14:48 pm by Backwoods Bart
Quote from: flawlessthoughts on December 05, 2016, 03:06:59 pm
SHUT UP!! I'm not from Hampton & I was giving credit. What I'm saying is I had Bearden picked to be the best team in the 8 before the Hermitage kids transferred. Now if you expected nothing of them that's you but I expected a great season from those talented youngsters.

Bipolar Flemless? What you mean and what you say are two different things. I suggest you go back and read what you posted and stop trying to spin it.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: playmaker04 on December 02, 2016, 10:56:40 am
Idk that England and Mt. ida exceeded expectations. I had England number one all year. Now Hampton,HG,Cross County,Quitman and Salem definitely. 

I believe Cross County and HG are going to be tough to beat next year. Earle will be good. Mt ida only losing like 5 srs. Hampton and England will lose quite a few srs.

The 2 that really surprised me that didn't fare as well was Hector and LC. I had Hector going to the finals at the beginning of the year and they lost in second round. And LC,probabably in the top 5 in 2A athletically but just so undisciplined.

Shoulda listened to me :D...I had us losing in the 3rd round, Hector traditionally isn't very good on the road in the playoffs

Rida4Life

Big Dave

Carlisle... Certain people were saying that they had picked the right opponent for homecoming and then they took them to the wire to win in the last minute. Not sure what next year holds for the Bison.

Made

Hornet4ever

Quote from: Big Dave on December 11, 2016, 12:02:37 am
Carlisle... Certain people were saying that they had picked the right opponent for homecoming and then they took them to the wire to win in the last minute. Not sure what next year holds for the Bison.

I've heard good things about Carlisle for the upcoming season

playmaker04

What's going to hurt Carlisle is they have a small Jr and soph class. No depth

Ventman

If they win 7 next year that will be a successful season. They will have a new QB and they lose a lot of experience on their lines. Also the two top running backs graduate this year.

Old Scrapper

Quote from: playmaker04 on December 12, 2016, 11:06:28 am
What's going to hurt Carlisle is they have a small Jr and soph class. No depth
Hazen just went thru a season of the same. it's tough to watch.

playmaker04

Success especially in 2A goes in cycles. Right now Cross County is in a good cycle. 29-9 the pas 3 seasons. But I know it won't last forever.

Old Scrapper

Quote from: playmaker04 on December 12, 2016, 11:44:03 am
Success especially in 2A goes in cycles. Right now Cross County is in a good cycle. 29-9 the pas 3 seasons. But I know it won't last forever.
We had a very talented group of freshman this year, if those young men can make the transition to Sr. ball we should have some good football within the next couple of years.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas