• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Conference predictions

Started by ZestyJester, August 31, 2018, 01:29:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

future_coach®

Quote from: YSpanther on January 30, 2019, 05:37:10 pm
I really don't know what you mean or how to take the  "it's just two teams at different levels".

What I mean is Yellville has 2 wins the entire year against teams with winning records. Deer and Jasper (who honestly isn't very good). Don't want to start an internet battle, but Yellville has just been average all season; underachieving. Eureka Springs has been (for the most part) one of the better teams in the state all season.

Ctucker

Quote from: future_coach® on January 31, 2019, 10:16:48 am
What I mean is Yellville has 2 wins the entire year against teams with winning records. Deer and Jasper (who honestly isn't very good). Don't want to start an internet battle, but Yellville has just been average all season; underachieving. Eureka Springs has been (for the most part) one of the better teams in the state all season.
. Didn't Eureka Springs lose to Berryville! Pretty sure I seen that and if it's so I doubt y'all are one of the best teams in state maybe one of the best in yalls region!

future_coach®

January 31, 2019, 12:02:27 pm #102 Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 12:05:25 pm by future_coach®
Quote from: Ctucker on January 31, 2019, 10:25:38 am
. Didn't Eureka Springs lose to Berryville! Pretty sure I seen that and if it's so I doubt y'all are one of the best teams in state maybe one of the best in yalls region!

Lost to a 4A team on the road with 2 starters out.

Ctucker

Quote from: future_coach® on January 31, 2019, 12:02:27 pm
we won Berryville tournament and won the finals that Berryville didn't even make by 15

Ctucker

Quote from: future_coach® on January 31, 2019, 12:02:27 pm
I'm not saying y'all are bad I just wouldn't say one of the best in state! But y'all might prove me wrong!

HorseFeathers

Eureka's best win came in November over Pea Ridge...other than that, it's been a bunch of not good 1a and 2a teams...

Note I missed the fact y'all throttled Yellville 2 nights ago but my comment about the schedule still stands

future_coach®

Quote from: HorseFeathers on January 31, 2019, 12:45:26 pm
Eureka's best win came in November over Pea Ridge...other than that, it's been a bunch of not good 1a and 2a teams...

Note I missed the fact y'all throttled Yellville 2 nights ago but my comment about the schedule still stands

I don't think you read that correctly. I said one of the better teams. I would think that most people would have us in the top 10 of 65 2A teams.

And we can only play who's on the schedule. Of the 31 games, we've won 26.

Ctucker

Quote from: future_coach® on January 31, 2019, 12:57:33 pm
I don't think you read that correctly. I said one of the better teams. I would think that most people would have us in the top 10 of 65 2A teams.

And we can only play who's on the schedule. Of the 31 games, we've won 26.
you did say one of the better teams my bad I would have y'all some where between 7-10 but like I said I could be wrong!

ozarkmtnsman

January 31, 2019, 07:23:40 pm #108 Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 07:25:30 pm by ozarkmtnsman
Quote from: Ctucker on January 31, 2019, 10:25:38 am

I would think Eureka's lost to Alpena and Flippin would hurt their case more than losing to 4A Berryville. Berryville is way down from previous years but they played Harrison close a week ago, so they must still got a little something going on.

Not exactly sure where Eureka ranks, but if they are indeed a top 5 team, then the 2A title is up for grabs. 
I've been saying it all season, but boy's basketball is way down in North-Central Arkansas this year. With the exception of ICC, I see very few teams if any in this area going too far in state.  Timbo is decent but they can't touch ICC and I guess Valley and Bergman are good, but will struggle once they hit regionals I believe. Not sure what is happening in Melbourne and Mountain View but both programs seem to be on a downhill slide.  Cotter, Omaha, Marshall, Kingston and the list all goes on and on are all down.
Even Harrison seems to be having a little bit of a disappointing season.
Yellville moving down from 3A to the 2A-1 finished third which is what they finished last year playing in a tough 3A-4A blended conference.

Hard for schools to find quality non-conference opponents without having to drive to the flatlands.

Ctucker

Quote from: ozarkmtnsman on January 31, 2019, 07:23:40 pm
I would think Eureka's lost to Alpena and Flippin would hurt their case more than losing to 4A Berryville. Berryville is way down from previous years but they played Harrison close a week ago, so they must still got a little something going on.

Not exactly sure where Eureka ranks, but if they are indeed a top 5 team, then the 2A title is up for grabs. 
I've been saying it all season, but boy's basketball is way down in North-Central Arkansas this year. With the exception of ICC, I see very few teams if any in this area going too far in state.  Timbo is decent but they can't touch ICC and I guess Valley and Bergman are good, but will struggle once they hit regionals I believe. Not sure what is happening in Melbourne and Mountain View but both programs seem to be on a downhill slide.  Cotter, Omaha, Marshall, Kingston and the list all goes on and on are all down.
Even Harrison seems to be having a little bit of a disappointing season.
Yellville moving down from 3A to the 2A-1 finished third which is what they finished last year playing in a tough 3A-4A blended conference.

Hard for schools to find quality non-conference opponents without having to drive to the flatlands.
. They are not top 5 so

ozarkmtnsman

Quote from: Ctucker on January 31, 2019, 07:46:30 pm
. They are not top 5 so

You said as high as 7 in few posts up, ???

Regardless, if Eureka is truly a top 7 team in 2A basketball, then this classification is up for grabs. 

Ctucker

Quote from: ozarkmtnsman on January 31, 2019, 07:57:43 pm
You said as high as 7 in few posts up, ???

Regardless, if Eureka is truly a top 7 team in 2A basketball, then this classification is up for grabs.
jusr being nice!

YSpanther

January 31, 2019, 09:48:57 pm #112 Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 09:51:41 pm by YSpanther
Your facts are not true.  The part you are spot on about is this:  Yellville has been underachieving at times this season, there is no disputing that.  And I will give you that Eureka is the class of this conference by far.  But not one of the better teams in the state.  And if you really want to compare schedules, here are some facts: Eureka does not play football and on average, with tournaments, etc. gets about 12 more games in per year.  Yellville lost to cancellation their first 2 games against Clinton and Bergman because we were still in the football playoffs, that would have gone a long way towards bragging rights one way or the other.  So do not mistake your quantity of wins for quality, if you actually compare numbers.

1)We beat Alpena, who is a team with a winning record that you failed to include.  Eureka lost to them.

2)Both of us played Deer, who is a good, solid team.  They clipped us by 2 at their place, on several very questionable calls.  Pretty much the only time this year I will complain about officiating.  We got them back at home and won by 18.  You guys beat them by 19 and 7 and then dropped a game to them in a tournament by 11. I call this a wash against the same competition.

3) We both played and beat the 3 losing record teams in our conference by pretty similar margins.  Cotter is 9-17, and YS won by 19 and 9.  Eureka won by 31 the first time and have the second game coming up.  Advantage Eureka on that series.  Decatur is 3-16, Y-S won by 32 and 33, ES by 22 and 21.  HH is 2-12, Y-S won by 24 & 29, and ES by 39 with a game to come next week.

4) Flippin:  the surprise of the conference has a good record right now at 19-11 and split with ES with ES losing to them by 10, then getting revenge at home by 21.  Flippin got Y-S at home and got us by 7 there, with the rematch set for next week.  IF, and a big IF Yellville wins that one at home, I consider this a wash as well, even though Flippin will be the 2 seed out of the records, and congratulations to them.

5) Other common opponents.  We both have St. Joe on the schedule and Bruno Pyatt and Lead Hill.  We don't play B-P until next week, but that would be a shocker if we don't win.  Don't know the specifics of ES game against St. Joe, but our game was our JV against their starters and it was an 18 point win. Lead Hill margins were ES at 39 and Y-S 31.  B-P is 5-23 and SJ is 3-27 and LH is 4-30.  Neither of us should be crowing about this strength of schedule.

6) ES other opponents.  As Ctucker was mocking you about, you lost to 9-15 Berryville.  You guys also had a very respectable loss to 29-2 Valley Springs, a 1 point win against 18-6 Pea Ridge and 3 wins against a "technically winning team" of St. Paul at 14-10, that has all of their wins against Bruno-Pyatt 5-23, Decatur 3-16, Oark 3-25, Union Christian 3-16, Mulberry 10-14, Western Yell 9-17, and so on.  You get the picture.

The rest of your schedule after conference foes, Valley, Berryville, LH, BP, PR, SP, SJ  you also played the powerhouses of Mount Judea 1-19, Oark 3-25, Union Christian 3-16, Mulberry/PV 10-14, Arkansas Arts 1-8, Mountainburg 10-11, Kingston 10-20.

The last comparison is our playing of Marshall, they got us by 2 in a tournament.  And then we got them by 15 down at their place.  While they have an 8-13 record, their losses are against Quitman two times, Harmony Grove, 5A Vilonia, 4A Ozark, and the very good teams Clinton X 2, Bergman and Valley Springs X 2 this year.  So this is the opposite of St. Paul in my opinion as far as a quality opponent.

So while you have a valid critique of the strength of the Yellville schedule, I say of those 26 victories for ES only 6 were against winning teams, 3 against Yellville and Flippin, unless you count St. Paul and then it goes up to 9.  And then you have losses to Alpena and Berryville.  So other than the obvious head to head domination, all you have really is quantity, not really any better quality.

And for what its worth, and admittedly it isn't much, Max Preps ranks our strength of schedule at a -5.0, while ES is a - 6.1, and Flippin is a -2.9.  I think if you look at schedules, Flippin has played the most difficult of the top 3 in conference, and while they lost most of their hard games, they very seldom got blown out by those teams.

future_coach®

Quote from: YSpanther on January 31, 2019, 09:48:57 pm
Your facts are not true.

Like I said before, I'm not going to start an Internet battle. The only fact I tossed out was your lack of quality wins and I missed Alpena. You can compare schedules and scores all you want, but in head to head Eureka Springs has beaten Yellville by a combined total of 42 points. You've been touting them all season as the cream of the crop, going as far as saying they won't have any competition in the conference, and you been proven a fool. 

YSpanther

Quote from: future_coach® on February 01, 2019, 09:17:37 am
Like I said before, I'm not going to start an Internet battle. The only fact I tossed out was your lack of quality wins and I missed Alpena. You can compare schedules and scores all you want, but in head to head Eureka Springs has beaten Yellville by a combined total of 42 points. You've been touting them all season as the cream of the crop, going as far as saying they won't have any competition in the conference, and you been proven a fool.
Nope, that was Ozark.  I have said from day one, that it looked like it could be either one at the top, just going from last year's results and common opponents. I have always been complimentary to Eureka.  They are darn good.  And they have without a doubt, put the hammer down on us, especially in the 4th quarter last week. 

But my complaint is your take on your schedule and critique of ours.  They both are very weak tea.  We have lost to only one team with a losing record:  Marshall.  And that is because they are playing a murderer's row this year.  They really aren't that bad.  Every other loss was to a pretty good team.  Your wins came against the same or even lesser competition than us, with the exception of Pea Ridge.  We both fared about the same against Deer and Jasper.  And I find it funny that you conveniently forgot about Alpena, when you guys didn't even beat them yourselves.  If we had had another 3 or 4 weeks to schedule the tough teams of Oark, Mt. Judea, St. Paul, like you guys I think we could've gotten closer to your win totals.

But long story short, I have a problem with your tangential arguments over the comparative schedules, not the head to head games. And you somehow claiming I had slighted Eureka.  From the very first, I listed both together at the top when I guessed standings preseason, then said or flip them around.  The team I dissed ultimately was Flippin.  They are the only one I should apologize to.

All you really had to say was "scoreboard".  Once again, congratulations to the Highlanders and their regular season conference title.  Let's see if we both can get to the championship game in a couple of weeks and see if we can stop playing like deer in the headlights and give you more competition next time.

YSpanther

Quote from: YSpanther on November 10, 2018, 01:15:46 am
2A1 Boys:

Yellville-Summit
Eureka Springs

Flippin
Cotter
Haas Hall Fayetteville
Decatur

HH Bentonville and Arkansas Arts Academy are not competing in this conference in this sport this year.

Flip Y-S and Eureka possibly.  Switch Cotter and HH and Decatur in a 3 card monty at the bottom any way you want.  Flippin is a solid 3 in between.  Cotter is learning a hard lesson about playing nothing but seniors last year.  They had a great regular season last year, but they have absolutely no experience so far this year and it shows.  Y-S and Eureka Springs on the other hand are bringing almost all starters and contributors back from pretty successful years last year, YS at the 3A level.

Does anyone know which conferences will be paired for regionals since many teams got shuffled?

My take back a ways.

YSpanther

Quote from: ozarkmtnsman on November 10, 2018, 07:19:28 pm
The 2A1 conference has to be the weakest conference in the state this year.  Yellville should walk away with this one.   Yellville needs to try somehow and schedule some competitive ballgames to prepare for regionals.  The Clinton and Bergman games were scrapped, those were by far the toughest non-conference games on the schedule.
And Ozark's quote right after.  I have never dissed Eureka this year.  And after I saw the first matchup, I reevaluated and have said they were the favorite to win it.

Your truly upset is misplaced.

And my post earlier that you responded to and went off on the schedule thing was more about my problem with Yellville's chemistry and play, compared to how I have seen the very same players perform last year against much more dominant athletes and teams versus these games this year.  It was more a musing about them getting right than any knock against Eureka.  Eureka is firing on all cylinders.  If I were their coach I would only be concerned that they might have peaked a tad too early.

future_coach®

Quote from: YSpanther on February 01, 2019, 11:50:34 am
Eureka is firing on all cylinders.  If I were their coach I would only be concerned that they might have peaked a tad too early.

No offense, but I don't think we've played well offensively for an entire game in quite a while. Our defense has carried us. We've held Yellville and Flippin to 37 and 34 respectively, that's why we've regained the top spot. Once we start clicking for 4 quarters on the offensive end then we can start talking about peaking.

ozarkmtnsman

Yup, I was bad wrong about Yellville walking away with the 2A-1. After having some success the last few years in a tough 3A-4A blended conference (they were the smallest 3A school in the state)  I really thought that Yellville would dominate the 2A-1. Perhaps the easier schedule actually hurt, not sure. Couple of real athletic guards graduated also, I think they may have had more depth last year.  All that said, I still think that Yellville has a good chance to win District that is located at Yellville. 

Not to disrespect Eureka Springs, I have seen them play a couple of times, they are good. I have not seen the likes of Clarendon, Marked Tree, Bay, Earle, Lavaca. However if Eureka belongs in that group, then 2A basketball is not at the level I thought it was.

future_coach®

Quote from: ozarkmtnsman on February 01, 2019, 12:37:31 pm
Not to disrespect Eureka Springs, I have seen them play a couple of times, they are good.

What games have you seen of Eureka Springs? I would say a 2 game sample size and saying that you haven't seen any of the other top teams at all doesn't give your opinions much merit.

future_coach®

Lions don't concern themselves with the opinions of sheep.

We aren't concerned with Fearleas Friday opinions, MaxPreps polls, Super Six polls or any of that. We want to compete every night against our opponent and play the best we can. Through 31 games we've done that more times than not.

ozarkmtnsman

Quote from: future_coach® on February 01, 2019, 01:19:34 pm
Lions don't concern themselves with the opinions of sheep.

We aren't concerned with Fearleas Friday opinions, MaxPreps polls, Super Six polls or any of that. We want to compete every night against our opponent and play the best we can. Through 31 games we've done that more times than not.

LOL ;D

YSpanther

Quote from: ozarkmtnsman on February 01, 2019, 01:48:33 pm
LOL ;D
The truly upset is strong with this one.  Yellville exacted a little revenge last night against Flippin boys, 69-41, but the Yellville girls, after jumping up and pulling off an upset against the conference champion ES girls last week, got pummeled last night by the Flippin girls 65-24.  Maybe finishing 3rd will help us stay sharp by having to play in the first round against Decatur before facing Flippin again in the second round.  I think the boys are feeling more confident now about getting a shot against Eureka in the championship.  I wouldn't want to be 4th coming out of district tournament and having to face Lavaca first  game in the  regionals, or 3rd for that matter.  Danville is looking like a good lock to be the 2 and is finishing strong.

YSpanther

Quote from: YSpanther on February 06, 2019, 09:45:40 pm
The truly upset is strong with this one.  Yellville exacted a little revenge last night against Flippin boys, 69-41, but the Yellville girls, after jumping up and pulling off an upset against the conference champion ES girls last week, got pummeled last night by the Flippin girls 65-24.  Maybe finishing 3rd will help us stay sharp by having to play in the first round against Decatur before facing Flippin again in the second round.  I think the boys are feeling more confident now about getting a shot against Eureka in the championship.  I wouldn't want to be 4th coming out of district tournament and having to face Lavaca first  game in the  regionals, or 3rd for that matter.  Danville is looking like a good lock to be the 2 and is finishing strong.
So much for that take. Hackett and Mountainburg pulled off upsets in the 4 and Lavaca is the 3 seed and Danville is the 4.  So much for getting rewarded for finishing 1 and 2 in your own district.  :D

ozarkmtnsman

Quote from: YSpanther on February 17, 2019, 04:53:45 pm
So much for that take. Hackett and Mountainburg pulled off upsets in the 4 and Lavaca is the 3 seed and Danville is the 4.  So much for getting rewarded for finishing 1 and 2 in your own district.  :D

I still don't see any huge favorites in this region match-ups. Nobody has played an impressive schedule for the last half of the season. They just beat up on each other and played weak nonconference opponents for the most part.  Lavaca had all the bragging rights until they didn't.

Even the mountainburg/cotter game might be somewhat competitive.  I'm wondering if Mountainburg had some 9th graders move up?  Eureka is on a roll, we will see if it continues.

You have to look on the bright side if you are Yellville, at least you are not playing Osceola or some other powerhouse from the 3A-3 as in years past.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas