• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

NEA Tournament

Started by AVGBBFAN, December 04, 2014, 12:29:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

AVGBBFAN

December 04, 2014, 12:29:20 am Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 12:50:08 am by AVGBBFAN
My favorite time of year - just saw NEA Tournament Facebook page that the seedlings are out.
1 - Bay.
2 - BIC
3 - Marmaduke
4 - ICC
5 - Marked Tree

Pretty deep field for the lower division this year.

AVGBBFAN

Trying to post a link with no luck - go to Facebook and search NEA Invitational Tournament and the full seedlings for Boys and Girls are there for upper and lower.

BoxNOne

Per Jonesboro Sun:

Boys upper Division
1. Valley View
2. Cedar Ridge
3. Westside
4. Nettleton
5. Osceola
6. Riverside
7. Rivercrest
8. Manila
9. Cave City
10. Highland
11. Trumann
12. Hoxie
13. Tuckerman
14. Salem

Boys lower division

1. Bay
2. BIC
3. Marmaduke
4. ICC
5. Marked Tree
6. Walnut Ridge
7. EPC
8. Augusta
9. Rector
10. Sloan Hendrix
11. Cross County
12. Armorel
13. CRA
14. Ridgefield Christian
15. Maynard

Girls Upper Division
1. Valley View
2. Nettleton
3. Riverside
4. Cave City
5. Cedar Ridge
6. Tuckerman
7. Harrisburg
8. Osceola
9. Rivercrest
10. Manila
11. Westside
12. Trumann
13. Hoxie

Lower Division Girls
1.Marmaduke
2. ICC
3. BIC
4. Rector
5. EPC
6. Sloan Hendrix
7. Marked Tree
8. Maynard
9. Walnut Ridge
10. Augusta
11. Cross County
12. Armorel
13. Ridgefield Christian

WPWells

Sounds like a great field

AVGBBFAN

Was surprised Brookland is not in the tournament.

Silky Johnson

Don't think either team has been in it from Brookland in 4 or 5 years.

Hogfan167

I like Bay and Cedar Ridge in boys and Nettleton and Marmaduke in girls.

NEA Razorback olfan

Quote from: AVGBBFAN on December 04, 2014, 10:33:30 am
Was surprised Brookland is not in the tournament.

Both Brookland teams are in the Beebe Tourney
Our girls won it last year , boys got 3rd I believe

doubled

Brookland wants a 3 game guarantee and doesn't want to play the same teams they play every week. That's what I heard

Hogfan167

I personally would like to see NEA with at least a two game guarantee. It is a slack time of year and coaches want to play games before conference kicks back in to shake off the rust.

Baller_34

Jonesboro won't play cause High school is kinda like college now with free choice. If they get upset by smaller school they afraid they will lose them and it will look bad.

OB11

Over the past 10-12 years the NEA has turned into a "small school" tournament.  Bigger schools don't want to play in it because the competition is not there.  There is also the upset potential as Baller_34 mentioned.  A 2 game (at least) guarantee would go a long way in getting the bigger schools to stick around for it.  If you happen to lose the first game, there's a long lay off until the next one.  That could be seen as a plus to some coaches (as well as players and fans) though.  The teams that are not very good lose in the first round and then get to enjoy the rest of their Christmas break without basketball every day.  Granted, I know not many coaches and players have that mindset.  Just a thought.

ricepig

Quote from: Baller_34 on December 05, 2014, 11:54:03 am
Jonesboro won't play cause High school is kinda like college now with free choice. If they get upset by smaller school they afraid they will lose them and it will look bad.

Yeah, for some reason they would rather play in the Rumble, or the Whataburger with the top teams in Texas in it. I don't know why they wouldn't want to play Bay or BIC, lol.

doubled

I think Jonesboro played in it a few years ago and got beat by Westside and hasn't been back. I could be wrong.

ricepig

Quote from: doubled on December 11, 2014, 07:48:48 pm
I think Jonesboro played in it a few years ago and got beat by Westside and hasn't been back. I could be wrong.

I'm not sure if that was the last year or not, but it wasn't the first time a smaller school beat us, won't be the last. Let's see, our kids can play in Jonesboro, or go to the Whataburger in Ft Worth, yeah, not much difference.

redskinsfan

Quote from: doubled on December 04, 2014, 01:29:40 pm
Brookland wants a 3 game guarantee and doesn't want to play the same teams they play every week. That's what I heard

That's why Pocahontas doesn't play in it.

Hogfan167

Jonesboro too good for NEA most years. I am glad they are gone and hope they don't come baxk

doubled

Quote from: ricepig on December 11, 2014, 09:07:20 pm

I'm not sure if that was the last year or not, but it wasn't the first time a smaller school beat us, won't be the last. Let's see, our kids can play in Jonesboro, or go to the Whataburger in Ft Worth, yeah, not much difference.
I don't blame jb for going to big tournament's it will make them better.

ricepig

Quote from: doubled on December 11, 2014, 09:46:01 pm

I know Swift pretty well. The year they lost to Westside was his first year and he was getting a transfer in at semester, and getting ready for conference play. He told me he didn't understand the importance of playing a Westside and was working on his rotation and lineup. I think they blew Westside out the next year in the Hurricane Classic. Truthfully, 99% of the time the games in the NEA wouldn't be the challenge they need to play the NLR's, WM's, or Marions.

OB11

Has the NEA always been the same format?  One loss and your done? 

ricepig

Quote from: OliverBoy11 on December 12, 2014, 08:59:19 am

To my knowledge, it was 40 years ago when I first played in it.

OB11

Quote from: ricepig on December 12, 2014, 09:36:16 am

And this tournament is what? 60-70 years old?  Maybe it's time to change up the format a little bit.  I think tournament organizers should really consider making some changes.  Might rejuvenate a tournament with a lot of history and tradition. 

ricepig

Quote from: OliverBoy11 on December 12, 2014, 10:37:18 am
Quote from: ricepig on December 12, 2014, 09:36:16 am

And this tournament is what? 60-70 years old?  Maybe it's time to change up the format a little bit.  I think tournament organizers should really consider making some changes.  Might rejuvenate a tournament with a lot of history and tradition.

My understanding is that it's been discussed numerous times. The old guys running it like it's current format. If they went to some game guarantees, they'd have to cut a lot of teams. They also discussed moving some of the games to the local high schools to get the games in if they went to this format, I don't think anyone was interested for the time involved and money.

Cabotred

Quote from: ricepig on December 11, 2014, 10:39:58 pm

I know Swift pretty well. The year they lost to Westside was his first year and he was getting a transfer in at semester, and getting ready for conference play. He told me he didn't understand the importance of playing a Westside and was working on his rotation and lineup. I think they blew Westside out the next year in the Hurricane Classic. Truthfully, 99% of the time the games in the NEA wouldn't be the challenge they need to play the NLR's, WM's, or Marions.

Better not over look Cabot.

ricepig

Quote from: Cabotred on December 12, 2014, 01:01:19 pm

This is a basketball thread, not a football one....

Cabotred

Quote from: ricepig on December 12, 2014, 01:35:55 pm

Touché

We will need for you to have that mindset when we play you in basketball. 

ricepig

Quote from: Cabotred on December 12, 2014, 01:45:47 pm
Quote from: ricepig on December 12, 2014, 01:35:55 pm

Touché

We will need for you to have that mindset when we play you in basketball.

I doubt what I think matters, haha.

Silky Johnson

Bay vs Augusta and BIC vs EPC in the quarterfinals could be good matchups.

BoxNOne

I would say Bay will pound Augusta and BIC will beat EPC.JMO.

MomaLion

Augusta is pretty good this year.  I think Bay would win but not so certain of a pounding.

Ctucker

WCC beat Augusta by 18 early in the year but they have a lot of talent.They getting it clicking and they could be real good.

BoxNOne

Augusta usually has some talent but from what I saw of them the last couple of years, coaching is pretty iffy.

BICMUSTANG4LIFE

Quote from: BoxNOne on December 23, 2014, 11:27:34 am
Augusta usually has some talent but from what I saw of them the last couple of years, coaching is pretty iffy.

Agreed! 

Head Lion

If I lost to Kentucky with that group of athletes, I would donate my salary to charity. Way to much talent to not do some serious damage.

tacomeat

December 27, 2014, 01:16:44 pm #35 Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 05:27:50 pm by tacomeat
Quote from: Ctucker on December 23, 2014, 09:24:00 am
WCC beat Augusta by 18 early in the year but they have a lot of talent.They getting it clicking and they could be real good.

I wouldn't let that score mislead anyone on a Bay v. Augusta match up. WCC is good.

D6Bound

Quote from: tacomeat on December 27, 2014, 01:16:44 pm
Quote from: Ctucker on December 23, 2014, 09:24:00 am

I wouldn't let that score mislead anyone on a Bay v. Augusta match up. WCC is very good & I would favor over Bay. Augusta should play them w/in 10. (or could play them w/in 10)
Also I beieve Augusta's big boy didnt play WCC.

Ctucker

You are correct Augusta did not have big boy when we played them.

jacket3

December 27, 2014, 10:26:00 pm #38 Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 11:19:24 pm by jacket3
70-47 bay final

bdubyab60

Didn't matter that they had Muns. They basically ignore him in the offense. They throw him the ball every once in a while and he has to do things on his own. A shame to. Hes a talented player with size, passes well and can shoot from outside.
Augusta got down by 6 or 7 and started jacking up 3's, some 5 to 6 feet behind the line, and they aren't that good of a 3 point shooting team. Pretty much over at that point.

BoxNOne

Augusta should definetely be better than they are but in this one they weren't only out coached but Bay has much more talent. They have playmakers all over the floor. Not much bench though.

bdubyab60

Yeah Bay has a very good squad. Since they didn't go but 7 deep I'm not sure on their depth. Watson got another 10 to 12 points against Augusta subs, bay still had all their starters in up 20 or so. Good opportunity to get some kids some playing time that you might need down the stretch in the tourneys

BoxNOne

They must be pretty weak from eight on down.

WhatsUrRingSize

Quote from: BoxNOne on December 28, 2014, 01:57:33 pm
Bay will have a 6'4 guard move up at the end of the year that will see some playing time.

WhatsUrRingSize

Bay played 8 last night. Most small schools only play 7 or 8 players. I watched 4 games last night and that's about every teams rotation.  It only takes 5 to have a real good team.

bdubyab60

Quote from: WhatsUrRingSize on December 28, 2014, 04:01:58 pm
Bay played 8 last night. Most small schools only play 7 or 8 players. I watched 4 games last night and that's about every teams rotation.  It only takes 5 to have a real good team.
You still have to rest those 5. Come tourney most teams have it narrowed to 7 or 8 players. However during the regular season up 20 plus points getting some kids experience can only help. Not mention the possibility of one of your starters getting hurt during garbage time.

bscinar

Bay / Coach B puts a huge imphasis on conditioning - their firstfive can play the whole game without rest.

BoxNOne

Foul trouble could be an issue. That may be one of reasons Brannen is playing more zone than I can remember. Could be playing more zone also because he doesn't have quite the foot speed of some past teams.

MomaLion

Quote from: bscinar on December 28, 2014, 08:24:49 pm
Bay / Coach B puts a huge imphasis on conditioning - their firstfive can play the whole game without rest.
Doesn't matter, you still need to have the option of good subs coming in whether for foul trouble, injury etc...we have 10 plus that play regularly and our starting 5 are well conditioned to go all game as well.  Like they said, it can only help to give the subs some experience.

WhatsUrRingSize

December 29, 2014, 07:46:39 am #49 Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 07:50:02 am by WhatsUrRingSize
Quote from: MomaLion on December 29, 2014, 02:48:20 am
Quote from: bscinar on December 28, 2014, 08:24:49 pm
Doesn't matter, you still need to have the option of good subs coming in whether for foul trouble, injury etc...we have 10 plus that play regularly and our starting 5 are well conditioned to go all game as well.  Like they said, it can only help to give the subs some experience.
Trust me Bay  subs get to play more than most teams do. I think Bay has played 19 games and I would say the subs have been in at the end of over half the games.I can remember one game at Ridgefield when the starters got benched about 4 min into the game and the subs played the rest of the game.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas