• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Marvell HC Job

Started by gunner22, May 07, 2015, 05:57:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gunner22

Looks like there's another Head Coaching change. What happened to Marvell's?

WPWells

Might have to do with the fact that Marvell is awful

MomaLion

Quote from: 12th Man CHS on May 07, 2015, 09:22:37 pm
And that is in no small part to the lack of support for their team...way to add to that 12th man.

beach bum

I have also thought what does a coach's spouse do if they are not a teacher as well out in those delta schools. There isn't exactly jobs galore out near Marvell for a spouse in the private sector.

Footballfan93

How bad is the situation there? Are they like a Marianna with athletes and just no constancy within the coaching staff and no support? Or is it the worst of all worlds?

cav2012

It's pretty bad. No short term turnaround. They need a coach who grew up in the area and cares about the school would be my first suggestion

purpleswag

It will never be turned around. That school is limping along waiting to be sucked up by Barton.

I would be surprised if they didn't just scrap the program

BigLion10

They have prolly a handful or less than stellar athletes there most of the athletes go to Barton or helena

Lions84

Well they did win a State Title in 1985!

BrianfromCarlisle

There is absolutely no support for those kids.  Carlisle Jr. High played them at Marvell this year.  I think maybe 7-8 people in the stands for them.  I felt horrible for the kids.  Their own parents don't even come to watch them play.  AT HOME!!  I almost went and sat on their side just to cheer for them. 

WPWells

Quote from: beach bum on May 07, 2015, 11:43:59 pm

I have also thought what does a coach's spouse do if they are not a teacher as well out in those delta schools. There isn't exactly jobs galore out near Marvell for a spouse in the private sector.

There are things called stay-at-home parents

WPWells

Quote from: MomaLion on May 07, 2015, 11:27:12 pm
And that is in no small part to the lack of support for their team...way to add to that 12th man.

Didn't need to. I think I made my point without adding it. Thanks for watching out for me, though!

PrivateLesson

Quote from: 12th Man CHS on May 08, 2015, 06:50:56 pm

👋

Dayton Kitchens

How many Delta schools can disappear before it becomes completely uneconomical to bus students long distances?

beach bum

May 09, 2015, 08:30:56 pm #14 Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 08:37:25 pm by beach bum

Right..  like a 50K a year job can cover 3 kids and a wife who doesn't work  ::) ..... not that everybody has that many kids but no way 50K covers an average family. You are still in college and not in the real world so you will find out soon. If I had 3 kids and a total household income of 50K I would cry myself to sleep every night.

WPWells

My mom was a stay-at-home mom

HorseFeathers

Quote from: beach bum on May 09, 2015, 08:30:56 pm

Right..  like a 50K a year job can cover 3 kids and a wife who doesn't work  ::) ..... not that everybody has that many kids but no way 50K covers an average family. You are still in college and not in the real world so you will find out soon. If I had 3 kids and a total household income of 50K I would cry myself to sleep every night.

I'll make in between 35 and 40k this year...have 3 kids ,a house mortgage, and my wife is a full time double major student...... Here this whole time I was happy and now I find out I should be crying myself to sleep every night for how pathetic my existence is....thanks for opening my eyes for me though

MomaLion

Quote from: beach bum on May 09, 2015, 08:30:56 pm

Welcome to my world...3 kids, single mom, annual income around 40,000...with a college degree...No child support...It can be done and is done all the time. And by the way, I have one in college and my kids have everything they want and need.

gunner22

What are the chances of a hire from within? How many assistant coaches do they have?

BigLion10

Honestly suprise they haven't closed there doors yet wouldn't be suprise to see them consolidate with Barton in the next 2 or 3 years

Tigerdad2

How many games have they won the past 5 years. I know they beat PW two seasons ago

purpleswag

Quote from: Tigerdad2 on May 10, 2015, 07:38:48 pm
How many games have they won the past 5 years. I know they beat PW two seasons ago

That's it. They used to beat Hughes when they had a team

MomaLion

They have some pretty decent athletes in basketball so I know they could be better with more participation and support...unfortunately they won't see it as they will undoubtedly close in the coming years.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: Dayton Kitchens on May 09, 2015, 07:54:26 pm
How many Delta schools can disappear before it becomes completely uneconomical to bus students long distances?
not very far from marvell to barton. not sure what uneconomical is.

Lions84

I expect to see them close the HS and bus the kids to Barton with in the next 5 years.  Marvell is drying up from what I saw during the Christmas Holidays when I drove over to see my Uncles Old place and swing by MA.

BigLion10

I say around 2 at the most

mustang12

I'd say after next year they are finished.

Okieback

School is falling apart, no support for anything....

Lions84

The Town looked awful drab and sad when I was down there at Christmas.  Like many Delta towns it has took a hit.

purpleswag

Has anybody been hired yet?

Jimbo Morphis

Lions84

Dayton Kitchens

When I applied a few years back I was told I would have no athletic periods for either the junior or senior high teams and that there would be no assistant coach assigned.

The best they could offer was the possibility of one or two people from the community that would help on game nights.

This is a recipe for disaster for a head coach.    The head coach would spend literally all of his time trying to get the basic work like field maintenance,  equipment checks, and working on the facilities done with none for even the most rudimentary coaching.

MomaLion

They might as well drop the program if they aren't willing to give them what they need to succeed.

BigLion10

I'm still trying to figure out how they've lasted this long

Lions84

Sad to see a town that was still gunning and running in the 1980's drop like a rock.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Dayton Kitchens on June 20, 2015, 12:39:08 pm
When I applied a few years back I was told I would have no athletic periods for either the junior or senior high teams and that there would be no assistant coach assigned.

The best they could offer was the possibility of one or two people from the community that would help on game nights.

This is a recipe for disaster for a head coach.    The head coach would spend literally all of his time trying to get the basic work like field maintenance,  equipment checks, and working on the facilities done with none for even the most rudimentary coaching.

Explains why it's been 6 years since they've beaten a team, from a school that still exists...

big E

HF they beat PW 2 years ago.

Dayton Kitchens

Quote from: big E on June 21, 2015, 08:21:49 am
HF they beat PW 2 years ago.

Wasn't that an end of year game where the PW coach famously refused to play a bunch of his starters for reasons I don't recall.

Romeo

Chris Norton has been named the new coach. He played football for Warren and was an assistant at Hermitage before becoming the head coach at West Memphis Christian. He was previously the head coach at Glenbrook School in Minden, LA. If anyone can turn around the situation in Marvell its him.

Romeo

Quote from: BigLion10 on June 20, 2015, 03:47:30 pm
I'm still trying to figure out how they've lasted this long

That's the million dollar question. They've been in dire straights ever since I was in high school, which was fifteen years ago.

BigLion10

When I was in high school 6 years ago they went like 3 seasons in a row quitting after the first 5 games because of low numbers

purpleswag

Quote from: Romeo on June 21, 2015, 01:56:21 pm
Chris Norton has been named the new coach. He played football for Warren and was an assistant at Hermitage before becoming the head coach at West Memphis Christian. He was previously the head coach at Glenbrook School in Minden, LA. If anyone can turn around the situation in Marvell its him.

Not doubting your friends ability but I just don't see it ever getting turned around. To many battles to fight

Dayton Kitchens

. If anyone can turn around the situation in Marvell its him.

Do you have any idea how many times that is said every year regarding a new coach at a program that is troubled?

LJ06

One of my best friends ever since elementary school. He has done exceptionally well as head coach at both prior locations and I have no doubt about his ability to turn things around. He is a great motivator, kids love him, and he studies the game. Congrats Coach Norton!

Lions84

mtindian42

Good luck to the new coach...

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas