• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fort Smith Southside at Greenwood - The Battle for Sebastian County

Started by RD™, October 12, 2012, 10:36:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Baitshop

There was no reason to tell either group no. Both groups are just like the band and cheerleader. The are part of the spirit squads that support the athletic teams...

Perhaps your indignant rage should be pointed towards the Greenwood administration for trying to exclude either group...

I think that we should applaud the Dixie Bells for standing up to someone in the Geeenwood administration who was so shortsighted....

Jeep71

fastdrop

Quote from: Baitshop on October 20, 2012, 03:33:19 pm
There was no reason to tell either group no. Both groups are just like the band and cheerleader. The are part of the spirit squads that support the athletic teams...

Perhaps your indignant rage should be pointed towards the Greenwood administration for trying to exclude either group...

I think that we should applaud the Dixie Bells for standing up to someone in the Geeenwood administration who was so shortsighted....
Do you guys send them girls to the baseball games?

Jeep71

Nice diversion tactic to take the attention off of the real issue. Getting spanked by Lil bro. ;)

the Padre

Quote from: HouseOf3Dogs on October 20, 2012, 02:23:55 pm
Quote from: DiehardFBfan on October 20, 2012, 09:04:17 am
Quote from: HouseOf3Dogs on October 20, 2012, 12:59:36 am
Ok, This is a serious question. Are the Dixie Bells so spoiled that they don't take no for an answer. They called and asked to perform at half time and were told no because the time was taken so they called four other people until they found someone tired of saying no and gave them some pregame time. I understand they are supposed to be pretty good but to force themselves like that is a cry for attention. Sometimes the band and other things just might have the time reserved...it is part of life so deal with it..just saying

....am I reading this right?   

The Dixie Bell's represent SS football as much as the cheerleaders for GW does.  To not like the Dixie Bell's is almost unamerican!imo.

They have been well recognized for decades and that is a great tradition for the Rebs.  Come on man.....I would of been disappointed if I hadn't seen them.

They ARE AWESOME!
Nooo..I was just saying that the home team girls were told they couldn't perform and accepted it and the visiting team was told no several times but wouldn't/couldn't accept that as an answer and kept pushing until they got their way. I just feel if one side can't perform then no is no and let it go. They are pretty good bunch of young girls but fair is fair.

Glad you cleared that up for me
. I was beginning to worry about you there for a minute

...oh, and I don't look either.  ;)

the Padre

Quote from: B.S. on October 20, 2012, 01:42:53 pm
Quote from: the Padre on October 20, 2012, 12:55:26 pm
Quote from: B.S. on October 20, 2012, 12:10:18 pm
The price of Gas to get to Smith Robinson $15

The price of feeding your family good Baseball Chili $35

The price of getting your family into the Game $35

The Looks on the Southside Fans and the Deafening Silence from that side of the field when the Score hit 38-21 Priceless!

...you could add the sight of the Rebel fans filing out at the end of the 3rd quarter to that list.

I was going to put " when the score hit 45-21", but there weren't any fans left when that happened.

Good point.

gatecrasher

So you attempt to shield the fact that your so-called "big boy" got destroyed by Greenwood by saying basically, that we couldn't beat Greenwood.

Just because SS beat us, and GW beat yall, well, none of that means anything come the day after Thanksgiving. We'll likely be in Sebastian County playing the Dogs in the semis.

Rick Jones isn't the only coach that is brilliant in getting his team ready for November.

gwddog

Quote from: gatecrasher on October 20, 2012, 06:14:54 pm
So you attempt to shield the fact that your so-called "big boy" got destroyed by Greenwood by saying basically, that we couldn't beat Greenwood.

Just because SS beat us, and GW beat yall, well, none of that means anything come the day after Thanksgiving. We'll likely be in Sebastian County playing the Dogs in the semis.

Rick Jones isn't the only coach that is brilliant in getting his team ready for November.
Yea but PA is 5A or something else I think, we won't be playing them this year.  ;D

RD™

Quote from: gatecrasher on October 20, 2012, 06:14:54 pm

He isn't the only. However he IS THE BEST.

Looking forward to hosting the Wildcats.

catfish1

Bobby Swofford is a GW believer now . Was visibly shaken last night doing highlight show ..

Greenwoodalum

Welcome to the big boy conference, lamb before lions as well as many more, comments about how we know nothing, how we are delusional to think we can play in the big league, LOL ,

Baitshop

Quote from: fastdrop on October 20, 2012, 04:30:24 pm

Kinda....Dixie Belles are the bat girls at Rebel baseball games....

I am responsible for the 7th inning stretch intertainment....which usually involves me dancing around the left field flagpole....we use it as a fundraiser....made $.42 last year in 15 home dates....it was a big hit, I think....

Brian G

Quote from: Greenwoodalum on October 20, 2012, 07:43:57 pm
Welcome to the big boy conference, lamb before lions as well as many more, comments about how we know nothing, how we are delusional to think we can play in the big league, LOL ,
7A/6A Central is by no means a "big boy" conference.

Baitshop

Quote from: B.G. on October 20, 2012, 07:55:35 pm

I, unfortunately, agree....

And my Rebels have done nothing this year to dissuade anyone otherwise....

RD™

Quote from: Baitshop on October 20, 2012, 07:47:13 pm

I am responsible for the 7th inning stretch intertainment....which usually involves me dancing around the left field flagpole....we use it as a fundraiser....made $.42 last year in 15 home dates....it was a big hit, I think....

HouseOf3Dogs

OK, We will go with that...When I see kids try that in stores I always thought they were spoiled brats....learn something new every day...Thanks for clearing that up....Kids should always get their way is rule #1 according to Baitshop.. ;D
( I wonder who will get their panties in a wad over this?)

HouseOf3Dogs

OK, That games is as old as last weeks laundry so it is time to fire up the next victim. Southside played a great game and nothing us old folks can say on here will ever take that away. Great job to both teams...Now both temas have to look forward.

Brian G

Quote from: Baitshop on October 20, 2012, 08:00:58 pm

I, unfortunately, agree....

And my Rebels have done nothing this year to dissuade anyone otherwise....
It's common for people to try and blend in to their new surroundings.  Grats, you did.

Eddie Goodson

Quote from: HouseOf3Dogs on October 20, 2012, 08:04:46 pm

OK, We will go with that...When I see kids try that in stores I always thought they were spoiled brats....learn something new every day...Thanks for clearing that up....Kids should always get their way is rule #1 according to Baitshop.. ;D
Every spirit squad and all the bands thinking they have a right to an allotment of time at halftime is getting out of control. Halftime, by rule, is 20 minutes long. Period. Trying to fit two bands, and two to three spirit groups into that 20 minutes is like trying to stuff a size twelve foot in a size 8 shoe. It just won't all fit. It's my opinion that either the visiting band or the spirit groups should do their thing BEFORE the game.

We had an issue last year with that down here and ended up with a 15 yard penalty to start the third quarter. We informed the band and spirit groups that it would NOT happen again. We'd make them all sit if it did.

Visiting groups and bands are guests and don't have the right or power to demand anything. Doesn't matter who they are or how good they are. Do your thing at home and be grateful for what you can get when on the road. Several times I know of schools have told our band when they got off the bus they will not be marching at halftime.

20 minutes is 20 minutes with a 3 minute warmup period following. Bands and spirit groups want more time, petition the AAA for a rule change. See how that goes.

ricepig

I think I've figured out your problem, they only play 7 innings in high school baseball, your crowd has left.

Eddie Goodson

Quote from: ricepig on October 20, 2012, 08:25:02 pm

I think I've figured out your problem, they only play 7 innings in high school baseball, and luckily for them, your crowd has left.
Fixed it for you

ricepig

Quote from: Eddie Goodson on October 20, 2012, 08:22:10 pm

Every spirit squad and all the bands thinking they have a right to an allotment of time at halftime is getting out of control. Halftime, by rule, is 20 minutes long. Period. Trying to fit two bands, and two to three spirit groups into that 20 minutes is like trying to stuff a size twelve foot in a size 8 shoe. It just won't all fit. It's my opinion that either the visiting band or the spirit groups should do their thing BEFORE the game.

We had an issue last year with that down here and ended up with a 15 yard penalty to start the third quarter. We informed the band and spirit groups that it would NOT happen again. We'd make them all sit if it did.

Visiting groups and bands are guests and don't have the right or power to demand anything. Doesn't matter who they are or how good they are. Do your thing at home and be grateful for what you can get when on the road. Several times I know of schools have told our band when they got off the bus they will not be marching at halftime.

20 minutes is 20 minutes with a 3 minute warmup period following. Bands and spirit groups want more time, petition the AAA for a rule change. See how that goes.

WM and Jonesboro swapped delay of game penalties on the home team due to the visiting band taking over their allotmemt a couple of years ago. Jonesboro's band took to long at WM, the next year, WM band did it back to J'boro. It was obvious what they were doing when they started their show. I don't blame them  it's like you said, visiting band doesn't perform.

Brian G

The money potential for him not to appear as stated has to be greater.

Brian G

Good and good.  Band rights?  WTHeck?  They don't even care for the game anyway.  They just know it's the one time someone will actually hear/see them play.  Captured audience can't escape.

fnu lnu

Okay.  This is beginning to look like that "big fish in the small pond" cartoon wherein the small fish is about to get swallowed by the bigger fish who is about to get swallowed by the bigger fish who is about to get swallowed by the bigger fish who is...well, you get the picture. 

Greenwood has presumably been the smallest fish in all these fish/big boy posts.  We Greenwood fans are welcomed to the "big boy" board of 6A by the mighty Eldo fans who quickly inform us how things really work around here.  Fort Smith dispatched Eldo and welcomed Greenwood fans to the "real big boy" board of 7A.  Now we're being tapped on the shoulder again and told the "correct real big boy" board is...well, you get the picture.  Who's in charge here?  Can someone please direct us to the front of the line?  As a Greenwood fan, I'm enjoying watching the Bulldogs meet each challenge.

Brian G

Quote from: fnu lnu on October 20, 2012, 08:46:20 pm
Can someone please direct us to the front of the line?
With this, I've been consistent.  The front of the line is the 7A West and in particular the top of it.

BGR

Re: Southside invades Greenwood...aka "welcome to BigBoy football"....
« Reply #871 on: Today at 12:21:58 AM »
Quote from: the Padre on Today at 12:03:00 AM
Quote from: Baitshop on October 19, 2012, 11:15:43 PM

The $5 baseball chili was outstanding, as was the hospitality......I'm not going to say that Earl and I didn't get some looks, but we were certainly treated well.....got to put some names with faces...have known "BS" for years and didn't realize who it was....got to meet BGR as well, another fine Greenwood fella....got to see our old friend The Padre tonite, didn't get to visit as much as I would have liked, but always good to see him....

Good seeing you again, too, Bait.  Wish we could have chatted more.  Kept looking for familiar faces, but after a couple of years I guess folks have changed a bit...plus it was so dang crowded it was hard to find anybody.

Hey Padre, if you go to confession, and promise to never be sucked in by the Evil Southside lies and promises of "Big Boy Paradise" I think we could take you back in to the Fold, and bring you back to the "Promised Land"! I think Bait's too far gone though. He's been eating the forbidden fruit way too long. You should have come over and eaten some good Baseball Chili tonight, I had some of Rusty's Deer chili, it was very good. I think we need to do that again next week. What do you think BGR? How about BBQ next week?

Next week...gonna serve up some grilled chicken saturday (10/27)  at our annual golf tournament.  Still have a few spots open.  It's a 4-person scramble at Vache Grass in Gwd. Cost per player is $45 plus cart, if needed.  Nice cash payouts and prizes. Here's my e-mail address if anyone wants to play:  www.bhuntkjh2010@gmail.com     Contact me soon cause we have just 5 slots still available.  Anyone have a good recipe for grilled crow for Bait and Earl?  ;D

Smithian

Quote from: B.G. on October 20, 2012, 08:51:17 pm
With this, I've been consistent.  The front of the line is the 7A West and in particular the top of it.
Yup.

Really tough right now for Southside. When you grow used to trading blows with the best of the best, losses like Greenwood are tough to swallow. Southside simply shouldn't lose that game. That's not our program.

This season feels like a down one. It's frustrating that we're not where we need to be at this moment, but we've proved in the past if we make it to the playoffs we'll be ok. Anything can happen. There's no time to panic.

Going forward the appropriate adjustments will be made so what happened last night will be corrected. Southside may have been sent off to the cesspool which is the 7A/6A but the Rebs will continue to measure their play against the top of the 7A-West.

Jeep71

Brian G

Quote from: Jeep71 on October 20, 2012, 09:27:02 pm
Yep Greenwood had nothing with it. ;)
You simply did what a low end 7A team already did, beat SS. 

Jeep71

Smithian

Quote from: B.G. on October 20, 2012, 09:34:03 pm
When I see you at the Tulsa game, I'm giving you a massive man hug. Just to punish you for enjoying Southside's pain.

To avoid an awkward exchange, please study up; http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-give-a-great-man-to-man-hug

B.S.

Quote from: Smithian on October 20, 2012, 09:17:43 pm
Yup.

Really tough right now for Southside. When you grow used to trading blows with the best of the best, losses like Greenwood are tough to swallow. Southside simply shouldn't lose that game. That's not our program.This season feels like a down one. It's frustrating that we're not where we need to be at this moment, but we've proved in the past if we make it to the playoffs we'll be ok. Anything can happen. There's no time to panic.

Going forward the appropriate adjustments will be made so what happened last night will be corrected. Southside may have been sent off to the cesspool which is the 7A/6A but the Rebs will continue to measure their play against the top of the 7A-West.

buckaroo83

Quote from: TTofGreenwood on October 19, 2012, 10:33:20 pm
YAWN......NEXT!
Great win last night TT, ya's score was the first one I looked for after our game.

Brian G

Quote from: Smithian on October 20, 2012, 09:41:19 pm
When I see you at the Tulsa game, I'm giving you a massive man hug. Just to punish you for enjoying Southside's pain.

FHS knows a lot about inflicting pain on SS fans.

Baitshop

The Dixie Belles request originally was to perform at halftime....once told that there wasn't enough time to accommodate everyone, they asked if anything was planned for either team during pregame....once they were told that there was not, they asked if they could perform in the pregame....they were initially told no by, what obviously was someone who didn't have the final say, so they asked someone else....

Easily solvable problem that would have let both dance teams AND cheerleaders perform while the teams were sitting in their respective lockerrooms....

Just somebody with Jr. Exec. power trying to wield CEO power....it was unnecessary....

Earl is my Hero!!

Quote from: Jeep71 on October 20, 2012, 09:27:02 pm
Yep Greenwood had nothing with it. ;)

Was also thinking the Harber and Heritage games were not flukes.

Also makes you think just how bad El Dorado might just be. Either way, I think Greenwood has a good shot at 17th place...

RD™

Me and TT hereby give Dixie Bells full all out permission to perform at any and all future Greenwood games.

Earl is my Hero!!

Quote from: B.G. on October 20, 2012, 08:35:39 pm

Good and good.  Band rights?  WTHeck?  They don't even care for the game anyway.  They just know it's the one time someone will actually hear/see them play.  Captured audience can't escape.

I tell you what, somebody from Southside needs to have a heart to heart with the band director.

First of all, nobody other than band member's parents go to the game to see the band. Most people could care less if they showed up at all. I personally would be just as happy with a bit of music over the P.A. system.

Secondly, if I had been Coach Williams, I would have walked over to the 12 drummers drumming and knocked the crap out of them. They were completely oblivious to the game situation, and went on their little drum solo for about 15 minutes straight - right when Southside got the ball after GW went up two scores.

It was a critical drive, and not only did SS have to fight the crowd nose from the home fans, they had to hear the count over a bunch of numskulls wearing powder blue, bangin' on de drum all day.

Have to say, it was pretty stupid...

the Padre

Quote from: Smithian on October 20, 2012, 09:17:43 pm
Yup.

Really tough right now for Southside. When you grow used to trading blows with the best of the best, losses like Greenwood are tough to swallow. Southside simply shouldn't lose that game. That's not our program.

This season feels like a down one. It's frustrating that we're not where we need to be at this moment, but we've proved in the past if we make it to the playoffs we'll be ok. Anything can happen. There's no time to panic.

Smithian, I have to agree with you, in part.  Southside is in a difficult situation. They are use to banging heads with the elite boys in NWA.  What I don't get is why Southside coaches can't get their team to perform up to their potential. I think we agree that this year's version of the Rebels is not great, but to me a team that wants to claim superiority needs to perform on the field regardless of the competition.  Your post seems to imply that because Southside in now in the weak 7A /6A Central they can't be expected to look like a good team when they play inferior competition.  That's pretty lame and sounds like a store bought cop out.  Greenwood for years has had to "struggle" with this issue only having one or two competitive conference game then have to gear up for he play offs.  Maybe Coach Williams should take a page from Coach Jones' playbook a coach his guys to play up to their potential, regardless of the competition and it would save their fans having to come up with lame excuses for not looking prepared.  That's been the issue ever since he came to SHS. Now the SHS fans in an effort to save face have opted for the, "We are traditionally slow starters." or, "We are only interested in the STATE title, so these games don't really matter."  I'll acknowledge that SHS has won a couple of Sate titles since Williams has been there, but a truly Championship caliber team should be capable of executing, and focusing on the task at hand regardless of how the competition performs.  Win the games you are supposed to win and keep yourself in position to maybe steal one or two that you shouldn't.  That way if you get boat raced you can tip you cap to the other guys and say we got beat by a better team. Now, as an Alum I always hope the Rebs win, but ha e to admit they are NOT an elite program. 

Occasionally Greenwood or say Bentonville will slip, but 99% of the time when they lose, it's because they got beat by a better team.  Greenwood folks fully understand that they are NOT competing against the best of the best, but, just like Southside, they didn't ask to be where they are.  They are gonna roll up their sleeves and try to "compete" with whomever they are pitted against, even if some of the schools are twice their size and every week they face teams much larger and/or faster. Greenwood fans don't have to get creative in making up excuses.

Now y'all can go ahead and slam me and I certainly expect it, so go ahead.  I honestly tried to be a Rebel supporter because it' where I live and where I played.  If Greenwood managers to beat Conway and finish off against Russellville, I can already hear people saying, "Well, we don't worry about "Conference" titles".  Can't wait to hear the excuse as to why the smallest  school in the conference won the title.  On the bright side, Southside won't have to worry about Greenwood once they get to the playoffs.  Hopefully the better completion will bring out the best in the Rebels.

(Please note, I woke up with some back issues at about 0400 this morning and was bored.  Sorry the rant, but after two years of really wanting to jump in hook line and sinker with the Rebs, eh... Have a nice day. :) )

Brian G

They area generally oblivious.   As a rule, I don't care for band directors either.

ricepig

Quote from: B.G. on October 21, 2012, 07:57:59 am
They area generally oblivious.   As a rule, I don't care for band directors either.

Boy, do we agree on this one. We have one who routinely plays when we have the ball, does not care if he goes over the halftime allotment, and only shows up at games to do their competition performance. They are suppose to go to at least one away game, he only goes to the WM game, his previous school before Jonesboro. He will conveniently use the opening game at ASU when we are the "visiting" team as his away trip. I know this sounds like I got a kid who doesn't get to play QB syndrome, but it's a sore subject with the football boosters in J'boro.

Brian G

The problem is they generally are great smoozing admin and often get in the main fundraisers over other groups.  They give these admin's a jacket and take them on their big trips. 

Heck, I think you can argue half the reason turf is going in so many places is because the band is on the field too often.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Who cares if the band plays or not...no need for them to be there...

Billyo62

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on October 21, 2012, 09:18:15 am
Who cares if the band plays or not...no need for them to be there...

Hey I love the band, what I don't like are dance teams ( Except the Dixie Belles )

the Padre

Can't be discussing bands and band directors and leave Siloam Springs out.  I think the delay of game penalty is automatically included when their band is involved.  They always cracked me up because the would usually not even arrive with their caravan of buses and equipment truck until about half way through the end of the 1st quarter.  (the empty section of bleachers reserved for the band is glaringly obvious). Then they proceed to unload and put the finishing touches on their uniforms, then march to there places in the bleachers.  Next, regardless of what is happening with the game, the band goes through warm up drills and tuning of instruments.  Seriously, all of a sudden it's like, "what's that noise?"...then they play a song and begin their decent  from the bleachers be wise now, its almost half time.  And they will play until the director is good and ready to pull them off the field. I've seen games AT Siloam where both teams have to go through their entire warm ups in the end zones and beyond, then the band finally march off the field right through their own team trying to prepare for the second half.  Must be written into Siloam coaches contracts that they HAVE to put up with this because it's been like that for years.

RD™

Brian G

Merging these two threads was a mistake IMO.  You lose continuity.

BadDogGHSDogPound

Quote from: catfish1 on October 20, 2012, 07:30:33 pm
Bobby Swofford is a GW believer now . Was visibly shaken last night doing highlight show ..

Most are visibly shaken trying to watch it.

Baitshop

Quote from: B.G. on October 21, 2012, 10:10:34 am
Merging these two threads was a mistake IMO.  You lose continuity.

While I agree that both deserve to be in the HoF....I also agree that when reading in the future, it won't make any sense to those that didn't read the two seperate threads....will make it virtually unreadable....

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas